February 2019 Moms

Weekly randoms 7/23-7/29

Re: Weekly randoms 7/23-7/29

• @madreofdragons I failed my one hour with my first pregnancy and passed the three hour. So annoying. Good luck! 
  • Loading the player...
  • notthecheatnotthecheat member
    edited July 2018
    @bleucheeznwine where do you stay at the beach/do you recommend it?

We stay with my MIL every year because free but it's still 1/2 hr + commute and I think this year we crossed the line of annoyance vs. saving $ (already thinking ahead for next year)

Each year I forget just how annoying it is so I want to remember I'm already making plans when next year rolls around
  • I went to the state fair for the first time this year. Very much in the hick part of our state. I was appalled that they still have "side shows" (aka pay admission to see the half-snake lady!) I didn't know places did that anymore. Everything was deep fried which made my nauseated stomach turn. As well as all the livestock smells. 

I felt very out of my element and like a stuck up pretentious suburban mom. Maybe I really am one...
  • @notthecheat We rent a condo in Lewes (but it's right on the Rehoboth Beach border) for the week. We love having an uncrowded pool to go to and being able to cook breakfast sometimes and do our laundry. I highly recommend staying in a condo/house. It's  hard for me to stay in a hotel now that I'm used to a lot of space and a washer and dryer. We really love eating in downtown Lewes, and then the drive to the Rehoboth Beach and boardwalk was only 15 minutes. Free is nice, but I'm not sure you could pay me to stay with my MIL for an extended amount of time haha. 
  • @bleucheeznwine any condo place in particular? We can't really afford much though.
  • @notthecheat I'm hesitant to give exacts on the one we stay at because we like to go the same week every year and there is usually a lot of competition (one year I had to contact the owner directly and offer her a little more money so we could secure it, in January for July). I can recommend a community called Bay Crossing which is in a similar good location and also has nice condos and a pool, but had a little less room. We stayed at Bay Crossing a few years back and it was nice. I would say price range for the week there (a lot of condos require a full week rental) would be $1300-$1800. I think we booked there through Vrbo.com.
  • Haha gotcha. Thanks! I think we'll have to stick to a hotel. Can't afford a whole week vacation even at MIL's  :s
  • $20 Kohl's cash. Do I buy one maternity item or like 3-4 things for DD? Hm
  • It’s way too early in this pregnancy to have insomnia this bad. 

KBJ-SEJ married 8.18.2012
    BMJ born 5.27.2014
    MMC 7.2.2015 @ 5w5d
    SMEJ born 6.5.2016
    BFP 6.8.2018 EDD 02.18.2019

• cas060cas060 member
    Okayjay44 said:
    It’s way too early in this pregnancy to have insomnia this bad. 
    Drove 12 hours yesterday.. was out like a rock! In case youre looking for ideas  :D
  • @notthecheat I went to Kohl’s yesterday and SCORED on maternity pants. They had jeans for $5!! I bought 3... then i bought an olive green pair for 10! Also had a 20% off so 20ish bucks for 4 pants. At my store a ton of them weren’t marked so you might have to dig and scan but definitely worth it. 
  • Anyone else worrying about the financial aspect of this pregnancy? I know we will just make it work one way or another - don't have much choice! - but the logistics of needing all sorts of stuff and planning for a temporary pay cut are freaking me out. :# 

Happy Sunday everyone! 
  • @becks_726 - Every pregnancy this has happened to me. I feel you. 

BMJ born 5.27.2014
    MMC 7.2.2015 @ 5w5d
    SMEJ born 6.5.2016

• @becks_726 I'm mostly worried about having to take unpaid leave. This country sucks so hard. Daycare for one more kid when I have to go back is concerning too. It's at a point where I wonder if it's even practical to pay for daycare for two kids or just stay home. But, also student loans to pay off...so? 
  • @becks_726 Yes I totally feel you. We’re lucky that my husband stays home during the day with our son (and this baby when it comes) and works nights, but daycare costs with our first were terrifying. I’m worried about diaper costs of all things lol. I just can’t stop thinking about having to buy two different sizes of diapers for like another year. 
  • @bleucheeznwine a lot of my coworkers have found nannies through care.com. Is that an option? I got the impression for many of them it was cost-effective but we all work semi-odd schedules so that may play a part. 
  • It's nice to not feel alone but I wish we weren't all juggling these things. @bleucheeznwine those are some big questions. Daycare for one is concerning so I imagine two is extremely stressful.
    @BourbonBiscuits that's a nice arrangement but when does your husband sleep? 

• I always worry about the financial aspect. Especially with my daughter in day care while I’m off on Mat leave. And now that were having twins it freaks me out more. I have to buy another crib, high chair, bigger stroller, the list goes on. Then when they come, so many diapers! Thank god DD is potty trained. I cant imagine that I will go back to work for a while. Two infants plus a toddler in daycare would be insane. 
  • etnyahetnyah member
    I’m still in denial about finances. We’re doing pretty well between the two of us, and we’ve saved up a comfortable amount over the past few years, but I was kind of hoping that money was going towards a downpayment somewhere down the road. Seeing how I might be out of a job when the baby is born (and if not, a few months of unpaid leave for sure), a good chunk of that money will go towards living expenses. Luckily our rent is low and we’re going to try and keep the kid out of daycare for as long as we can. Husband works evenings and I work days, so most likely we’ll do shifts for a long time.

About purchasing things, obviously diapers will be a big expense, but I’m going to try and get almost all gear for free or cheap. We’ll buy a good car seat brand new, but that’s it. Second hand stuff off Facebook and Goodwill will do just fine!
  • @becks_726 ha! It’s not too bad sleep-wise. He usually works the dinner shift a few nights a week, so he’s there from 4:15-9:30 or 10. Weekends he usually works doubles, depending on what events he can work. 
  • @megpants209 I haven't there before, but some of my anxious personality quirks give me pause about it, haha. Like, the thought of someone being in my house and touching my things all day makes me hot. Also, I live in a really small area, so I don't think anyone I'd find on there would be licensed or insured. The one thing I do like about daycare is if there's an issue, they have someone they have to answer to and can be held accountable. I bet in a bigger area than I'm in with more qualified people, this would work out really nicely for families!  

My husband has heard some whisperings of retirements at his job and a chance for him to be promoted around November, so I'm hoping that works out, because we could maybe swing me being able to quit my job. I hate all of the angles to consider.
  • DD keeps trying to sneak “hell“ into her sentences. It’s so hard not to laugh, especially when she puts it in the wrong place. It’s hard to have a life lesson talk when she asks me “What are you hell doing?!”
    DD went though a phase where she said “what the heck hell?” It was too funny to correct  :D

BMJ born 5.27.2014
    MMC 7.2.2015 @ 5w5d
    SMEJ born 6.5.2016

• Crying because underpants the dog died. My favorite Instagram dog. I also cried this morning when a Frozen song came on. 
  • That makes me cry even when not pregnant @bleucheeznwine
  • I'm usually a hardass haha. Except during My Girl, I will always cry during My Girl. "Where are his glasses!?"
  • Fuck, you beat me @cali1710, I was about to say Stepmom.  
  • Also, I still fast farward THAT scene in the Lion King. 
  • Has anyone gotten the free baby box from Amazon? Did it have some good stuff in it? I just did the registry thing last night and it says it'll be here in a week or so. 
  • @smashedbanana I got it with DS - the swaddle we got in it was actually my favorite swaddle we own. That was worth it alone for me. My friend just got hers for her December baby and she said there were some cute things. 
  • @smashedbanana I got it with DS - the swaddle we got in it was actually my favorite swaddle we own. That was worth it alone for me. My friend just got hers for her December baby and she said there were some cute things. 
    I've heard about the swaddles! That's the reason I want it. And coupons. Were the colors gender neutral? 
  • LuLiLaEvLuLiLaEv member
    edited July 2018
    @smashedbanana
    I actually got one right before I found out I was pregnant :# because it let me and I use Avent bottles with DD2 so I figured “hell, it’s a free bottle”
    Besides the bottle and usual samples it came with a full thing of wipes, diaper samples, a binky, Lysol wipes, super cute swaddle (baby zebra!) and 2 super soft onesies!
    All gender neutral!
    I got the swaddle in my last box with DD2 and it’s definitely a favorite. 

• LuLiLaEv said:
    @smashedbanana
    I actually got one right before I found out I was pregnant :# because it let me and I use Avent bottles with DD2 so I figured “hell, it’s a free bottle”
    Besides the bottle and usual samples it came with a full thing of wipes, diaper samples, a binky, Lysol wipes, super cute swaddle (baby zebra!) and 2 super soft onesies!
    All gender neutral!
    I got the swaddle in my last box with DD2 and it’s definitely a favorite. 

Aww now i'm really excited! I love the elephants! As far as free stuff goes it looks pretty great
  • @LuLiLaEv omg my kid LOVES avent bottles. He would drink literally anything if we put it in that bottle. I refused to send those bottles to daycare with him because I didn’t want them to get lost. 
  • Ioohhh I’m intrigued by this amazon box of goodies.  I’ve been eyeing a few things on amazon...I have mostly everything I need from DS but I need a new bassinet, car seat, some extra towels and swaddles etc.  

also about the crying at movies discussion - beaches is my always cry movie 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers