March 2019 Moms

Maternity wardrobe

Re: Maternity wardrobe

• @zionsmama85 That is so annoying! I’ve had good luck ordering from target online before even if their local stock is low in the size you’d like to try on. You can always return it to the local store too which is sometimes a little bit less of a hassle. 
  • @zionsmama85 shopping while pregnant was one of the biggest frustrations for me last time. I like to be able to browse and just drop in but even in a big city like San Diego there wasn’t much selection. I missed being able to go shopping with my husband at Nordstrom rack and find something or go shopping with friends at non-maternity stores. And this was being a size 10, so I can only imagine your frustration.

I will say that certain fabrics in regular sizes work pretty well. We will be pregnant during sweater season and sweater dresses and jersey maxi dresses both looked really well. They stretch in the right places. Anything with an empire waist and enough fabric on the bottom part did too.

AFM, I wore my new maternity jeans for the first time yesterday and could not keep them up. I don’t know if they were too tight (they were skinny jeans) or if I ordered too small (got a size L which is my regular pre-preg size) but I need to make it to a real maternity store for some jeans, I think. I was really hoping to avoid spending much more money on clothes since this will probably be my last pregnancy, but I can’t go 5-6 more months without jeans.
    DD1: June '16 DD2: March ‘19 :::: Married since 2011 :::: USN Wife ::::
  • Loading the player...
  • @zionsmama85 I know what you mean, it's a shame more places don't have maternity sections as most of the America has babies at some point!  Check out Pink Blush, they have a a regular and plus size maternity section. Lately, it's been the only store I've ordered from online that I really like pretty much everything I've gotten and the quality seems to be good. Plus their stuff you can wear during and after and it still would be cute. :) I was weary about ordering at first, so shopped the clearance when they had the 50% off deal to see how things worked. 
    TTC #1 since April 2015
    June 2016 - CP
    2017 - Medicated Cycles & IUI's
    IVF w/ PGS  - January 2018
    FET #1 - April 2018 - BFN
    ERA Cycle May / June 2018
    ERA Biopsy June 2018 ~ Results: receptive (no change)
    FET #2 - July 2018 - BFP <3 Beta #1 - 137 Beta #2 - 410
    U/S #1 7wk1d - HB 144 U/S #2 9w1d HB 166
    Anatomy Scan 1st 11/2/18 2nd AS 11/19
    EDD March 28, 2019
    Baby Girl born 3/26/19  <3

• Lululemon’s align pants are insanely comfy! They are pricey, but totally worth it. My friend recently had a baby and she said she lived in these pants while pregnant for lounging and working out. She was able to wear them all the way until birth and continues to wear them 10 months later. They stretch with your belly and maintain their shape postpartum. I just snagged a couple pairs this weekend (18 weeks) - stayed true to size - and am already super happy with the purchase! You can also size up if you prefer extra room to grow. 

https://shop.lululemon.com/search?Ntt=Align
  • @beachbaby0523 I think I'm the only person on earth that dislikes lululemon. I bought a pair of (I think) these same leggings and the sales person talked me into a 6 when I'm normally an 8 or 10. I thought they were just vanity sized (to make you feel better because you're in a 6) but unless you're staying perfectly straight, mine roll under my belly gut (pre-baby) and put a lot of extra pressure on my stomach which makes them uncomfortable when sitting. And since I bought them for my long flight to/from Europe they were kind of a waste.

TL;DR So definitely size up and don't let the sales people persuade you to go smaller. Mine felt fine in the store walking around, but in their practical use of lounging on the couch (and not running or working out) they are not comfortable.
  • I also had a really hard time with workout wear during last pregnancy and am finding the same problem this time.

One score I found was Puma’s long running tights (TJ Maxx for $16). They’re SUPER soft, can go over or under the belly, fit me now and will fit when belly grows more. (I got an XXL and it fits my size 8-10 frame right now, but still has plenty of room in tummy band area). 
  • Totally scored on FB marketplace. Variety of 9 pairs of jeans for 20. All but two fit perfectly! I feel like myself in jeans again.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie - YeTq
  • @mayoduck I pulled out my Old Navy maternity jeans yesterday, and they have full front pockets! They’re from 2014, so that may have changed since, but they’re my best fitting maternity jeans, and pockets! 
  • Not sure if anyone has mentioned the website Mine for Nine, but there are some great options for rental maternity dresses. I have a few weddings to go to and a lot of the dresses that you can rent are $20 for a month. 
  • @lelcot Oooh! I am not sure if I have given Old Navy much of a look! I will have to do so!

I just bought 3 bump-friendly long-sleeve dresses with pockets from Amazon. They are decent quality and pretty inexpensive. I'm not typically a dress girl but I feel pretty satisfied with these purchases!
  • @chocolatelemons I wish I'd known about that! I have 2 formal evens for just this month, but after this I shouldn't need another one. Rent the Runway is expensive and you don't get the dresses for very long.

I need to find some thick chunky sweaters, but all the ones on sale near me are think and skimpy. Any recommendations?
  • @meggyme I got some nice thick sweaters last year at Ann Taylor loft, one of them I got kind of oversized and it should fit for at least a couple more months. Also thredUP might be a good place to check, I just ordered a few more tops from there and there were some thick looking sweaters.
    Me: 30 DH: 31
    Married: 2012
    BFP #1 Sept 2014, MMC Dec 2014 | BFP #2 May 2015, DD Jan 2016 <3 | BFP #3 May 2017, MC July 2017 | BFP #4 Jan 2018, MC Feb 2018 | BFP #5 July 2018, fingers crossed
  • @meggyme, have you used Rent the Runway for maternity before? When I've searched cocktail dresses on there and then filtered for 3rd Tri, the first seven dresses are all very form-fitting sheath dresses! Several had very defined waist lines. I scrolled through and maybe 20% of what they categorize as being able to be worn in 3rd Tri is actually bump friendly. What?! And several of the ones that actually looked like they could fit a bump looked like a tent. I'd look so huge all over in those. None of them were actual maternity dresses. 

So disappointing. 
  • meggymemeggyme member
    edited October 2018
    @lovesclimbing before I haven't used Rent the Runway before but I know lots of friends that have. I'm too worried about waiting until the last minute to be able to try the dress on and finding it doesn't fit or isn't flattering. And it's too expensive to rent once at the beginning of the month for a fitting and then again for the actual event. I just have a few that I kind of rotate through. I also have a dress that I made myself years ago that works great for pregnancy if needed, but it's more CA wedding appropriate, not Washington DC black tie optional wedding appropriate.

@mamakate1616 I see that there's a $2 restocking fee for returns. I've not had much success shopping second hand online. Do you find that the descriptions and sizing tend to be pretty accurate?
  • @meggyme I’ve ordered a decent bit of stuff from thread up for DS, and while the stuff I’ve purchased has been in good shape, I’ve found they don’t do a great job with descriptions. Like all 3 pairs of jeans I’ve bought for him off there were lined- which was not mentioned in the description. So I’d say descriptions of wear to the clothes are accurate, actual descriptions of the clothes item itself, very limited.
  • @meggyme, I've used RtR twice while not pregnant. It went great, and I loved the dresses both times! It's just disappointing they don't have actual maternity options besides their subscription service. 
  • @lelkcot that's good to know.
  • Anyone have recommendations for good maternity/nursing tanks? I live in the shelf-bra style tanks when at home and could use a few that are actually supportive for now & nursing!
  • @lelkcot I only have the target brand ones. They're nice, but I needed more support. For use with clip nursing bras I was gifted these ones called undercover mama, which is basically a cami with loops to clip on your bra instead of regular straps. I made some extras with cheap Forever 21 shirts, which is a really easy DIY.
  • @meggyme I think so, but I have only bought stuff from brands I already know the fit of so ymmy. I’d agree with @lelkcot

I like both the target nursing tanks (Gillian something) and I also liked the ones I got from motherhood maternity. I have worn those for the last three years even though I’ve been done nursing for almost 2 years now. 
    BFP #1 Sept 2014, MMC Dec 2014 | BFP #2 May 2015, DD Jan 2016 <3 | BFP #3 May 2017, MC July 2017 | BFP #4 Jan 2018, MC Feb 2018 | BFP #5 July 2018, fingers crossed
  • Bumping.

I know there were some questions about front pockets and I wanted to share that citizens of humanity jeans have working pockets. Obviously, these are not the most budget friendly option, but I scored a pair on poshmark for $20. I also bought a pair of sevens ponte leggings and they also have actual front and back pockets. They’re at Nordstrom rack for $35 right now.
  • @chocolatelemons do they seem to fit like their regular brand jeans do? and are they full panel or side panel? I love my sevens and the Levi's maternity jeans I bought are just not working for me, but I hate to buy more maternity clothes for my potentially last pregnancy.
  • @meggyme I LOVE the citizens jeans and they’re exactly like my other non maternity jeans. They’re full panel which I don’t love, but I’m dealing with it because of how comfortable they are otherwise. I tried them on at Pea in a Pod and then found the same ones on Posh. The sevens are great too and they have side panels which I really like. 
  • I received a second StitchFix maternity box and this one was fantastic! Including jeans with pockets (I'm the one who keeps talking about needing pockets, haha)! It's just in time; I'm reaching a point where even my low-rise jeans really don't cut it anymore.
  • I really want to start a family tradition with family Christmas jammies. Does anyone know if they make maternity PJs that would work for family PJs too? Thanks! 
  • So I just got two pairs of old navy rockstar low panel jeggings. These pants are amazing. Soft, stretchy, and the band is actually comfortable! I went up one size and they are perfect. Very excited to have an option that isn’t black leggings. 
  • meggymemeggyme member
    edited November 2018
    Has anyone used a zip in maternity panel/extender to make a regular coat a maternity coat? I can really only find one on amazon like I'm looking for and was hoping someone might be able to recommend one.

https://a.co/d/51M3or1
  • @meggyme Not exactly what you’re asking but my SIL gifted me a maternity coat that came with a zip in extender (so it can be worn after pregnancy). Brand is modern eternity. I think it’s a great concept, although I haven’t actually had to use the extender.
  • Has anyone tried bras from cake maternity?
    I can’t take my current bras anymore but still need something with thick padding since my nipples are always hard these days (???).
    All the more affordable options I’ve checked out in stores are too thin for my coverage needs, and these cake bras look like they will work for the next 5 months + into nursing, but they are pricey.
  • @mamakate1616 I have never heard of them, but I googled reviews. They seems to have decent reviews on Amazon, so that maybe a good way to try them out. That way if you don't like them, it's an easy return.
    TTC #1 since April 2015
    June 2016 - CP
    EDD March 28, 2019

• I took advantage of the holiday sales. I got a couple cute dresses and sweaters from Charlotte Russe and jeans from Motherhood. Everything I bought was on sale. No need to pay full price this time of year!  I also bought some nursing bras off Amazon that were 4 for $35. 
  • Anyone have suggestions for good shoe insoles? My heels hurt daily and I'm sure it's due to extra weight / feet flattening. 
    TTC #1 since April 2015
    June 2016 - CP
    EDD March 28, 2019

• I had plantar fascitis last pregnancy and already this pregnancy. I know you asked for insole recommendations, but I ended up buying new shoes with better arch support. I'm a big fan of rockports. Their flats especially have great cushion and still look cute. They often have pretty decent sales and can get a pair for less than $100 if I remember correctly. They're well worth it and have lasted me several years now.
  • @meggyme Thank you, I will look into them! I use to wear those years ago because I worked on my feet a ton and didn't even think about checking them out. 
    TTC #1 since April 2015
    June 2016 - CP
    EDD March 28, 2019

• To follow up on the cake maternity bras, I got two different styles from amazon and the “croissant” is very soft (also ordered parfait but didn’t even try it on) but neither have any padding. It’s basically a double layer soft t shirt with an underwire.  :'( the search continues! 
  • Anyone have a good belly band that they have used and like?
    Rounds ligament pain so tonight are making me think this maybe something i need soon  :# 
    TTC #1 since April 2015
    June 2016 - CP
    EDD March 28, 2019

• @kristimh80 not sure how heavy duty you want to go, but I love my Bella band. Ive found that wearing it all day is a must and I’m not sure I could tolerate the heavy duty ones all day. I work 12-24 hour shifts and couldn’t have survived without it!!

[spoiler=TW in signature]

Me: 36, DH 37.

August 2014- 6w MMC

July 2015- CP

PCOS, plus some medical issues that make me high risk.

Our rainbow babies are due 3/21!!!!!

[/spoiler]

• I’ve used the one below for jogging with my first and walking this time around. I’ve found it to be helpful- but also have only used it when exercising or if I knew I was going to be walking a lot.
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000ZKE4AM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_Ot8dCbEF6WBDC
  • @3rdtime_charmed @lelkcot Thanks ladies!! Will look into both! I don't think I need anything heavy duty, just something to take off a little pressure. :)
    TTC #1 since April 2015
    June 2016 - CP
    EDD March 28, 2019

• Do you all know if the belly bands help with sciatic pain too? I'm having RLP sometimes too but having more trouble with my sciatic nerve than anything else right now. If the extra support helps with both I'll order myself one asap!