December 2018 Moms
Options

Weekly Randoms 6/11-6/15

Re: Weekly Randoms 6/11-6/15

• Options
    hkomhkom member
    Anyone have any idea what I should do with these multiple lbs of turnips I just pulled from my garden?  (cat for scale) 

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    @hkom Roast them?  That's my only idea :D .  I bought a ton of summer squash/zucchini at the farmer's market yesterday and now I don't know what to do with it all.  I'll make a loaf of zucchini bread and maybe a squash casserole, but I seriously have so much.  We are leaving on Wednesday to head up to VT for a wedding, so I have got to figure it out quick.  I might freeze some of it.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @hkom Yum! Sauté those leafy greens with butter and red pepper flakes - serve as a side dish. Then pickle the turnips (add a piece of beet to make them pink) - these make good fridge pickes, that is pickles that are not heat-processed and remain in the fridge until eaten. 
    NTNP since Dec 2012 | TTC since Jan 2016
    Dx: Unspecified IF

BFP#1 Nov 2017 • Blighted Ovum + MMC • D&C at nine weeks
    BFP#2 Apr 2018 • It's a boy! • Born 13 Dec 2018 :love:
    Anniversary
  • Options
    @lexidawg I don’t think the big four one is a gut punch at all :heart: HAPPY ALMOST BIRTHDAY!!

Anniversary
  • Options
    @echo-charlietango It's funny because 30 and 40 were awesome birthdays with me feeling nothing but THRILLED.  31 and 41 are like.. ouch. I also have to remember that i I live in NYC where 41 and first child is NBD and more and more common.  My OB isn't even considering be high risk because of AMA.  She said in NYC.. this is an average age!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Happy almost birthday @lexidawg!

Does anyone have a copy of those GTKY questions someone posted last week? I was going to start the weekly check in for my week and I wanted to steal one of them from there
  • Options
    hkomhkom member
    edited June 2018
    @echo-charlietango I've never had pickled turnips before! Fridge pickles are definitely the best pickles!  I may try that with the little tiny ones.  The greens will definitely get sauteed/simmered.  I have a turnip root and green gratin recipe that I might try as well.  

@kadeephd If you shred the zucchini and freeze it you can use it later for bread.  Or, you can just make a ton of bread and freeze the loaves - that's what my dad does.  I tried to blanch and freeze summer squash last year and it did not work well.  I'm not sure how you normally cook summer squash - but if you do like I do - cook it down in a skillet with butter and onion until its browned and soft - that might freeze better.

*ETA:  I bet the squash casserole would freeze pretty well too.

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options

@lexidawg Happy early birthday!!

I have gas and keep letting it loose. I'm glad no one is in my little area today at work. Mondays are nice, there's always almost no one in the office.

DH and I have our 7 year wedding anniversary tomorrow! My MIL is watching DS so we can go to Melting Pot for dinner. I can't wait to pig out on some fondue!

Me: 31

DH: 29, SA - Great

Married: June 12,2011

TTC #1: 1/2014

Diagnosis: Hypothalamic Amenorrhea

Treatment: Clomid:  50mg, 100mg, 150mg - not successful and not monitored

Menopur 75ml (upped to 112.5ml), Ovidrel, & IUI  IUI #1 8/31/2015

9/15/2015: BFP HCG - 400, 9/17/2015: HCG - 827, 9/21/2015 - HCG 3,327!
    Heartbeat 10/2/2015: 118bpm
    DS: 5/27/2016

TTC# 2: 12/2017
    BFP: 4/20/2018
    EDD: 12/29/2018
  • Options
    @lexidawg Wow, I didn’t thing about 40+ FTM being the average in NYC, that’s awesome that you’re not being handled as a delicate AMA flower :smiley:

@Jens_Hoes I’ll post them here for you again in a few, the list is on my laptop (minus one Q that I used). 

@hkom Fridge pickles are the best! Sometimes I put a tiny bit of Hot & Sour Soup mix into the vinegar solution to spice things up, it’s good if you’re into flavor explosions :smiley:

@kadeephd Squash casserole sounds easily freezable & delish. Maybe try a squash-heavy ratatouille? Or freeze a batch of (my favorite!) sautéed yellow squash with capers, dusted with bread crumbs and baked until crispy. Mmm. 

Anniversary
  • Options
    @lexidawg Happy early birthday, definitely not a gut punch!

I usually don't bump on the weekends/from my phone, so I'm spending my Monday morning catching up instead of working.

We had a family wedding in Omaha this weekend on Friday which was fun. The hotel we were at had a water park and DS had a blast in there. We told SIL that we'd go to the zoo with them on Saturday which was the WORST idea ever. How can anyone enjoy 97 degree weather on pavement all day with thousands of other people and kids around? It gave me severe anxiety because all I could think about was how easy a predator could snatch a child, so we left after less than two hours. Hopefully we can go back when it's cooler so DS can enjoy the animals. 

In good news, I dropped off my ring to get re-dipped and discovered it was free with our insurance & also free to solder/unsolder, so I am getting my two bands unsoldered from my engagement ring. I'm so excited for the change! I've had two bands on for three years and it's just too bulky, so I'm thrilled to have more options especially as my fingers swell.
    Married: 6/6/14
    DS: 12/20/16
    EDD: 11/29/18
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    @lexidawg happy early birthday! 
  • Options
    @temmetime Same here. I just don't have the time on weekends.

• Options
    thanks @echo-charlietango
    @temmetime my husband initially wanted my engagement ring and two bands to be soldered together and I was super hesitant, and I'm glad I didn't do it because last pregnancy I couldn't wear them all, just the one.  I for some reason also think the stone looks bigger with just the engagement ring on lol so I like looking at that
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    @Jens_Hoes Here ya' go, they're in the spoiler :kissing:

What are some small things that make your day better?
    What could you give a 40-minute presentation on without preparation?
    Among your friends or family, what are you famous for?
    What is something you think everyone should do at least once in their lives?
    What’s the best and worst thing about getting older?
    What’s worth spending more on to get the best?
    What is something that people are obsessed with but you just don’t get the point of?
    What is special about your hometown?
    What is the most impressive thing you know how to do?
    What did you think you would grow out of but haven’t?
    What chance encounter changed your life forever?
    If you could make one rule that everyone had to follow, what rule would you make?
    What stereotype do you completely live up to?
    As you get older, what are you becoming more and more afraid of?
    What is one of your favorite smells?
    Do you give to charities?
    What can you not get right, no matter how many times you try?
    What do you take for granted?
    What’s the best and worst piece of advice you’ve ever received?
    When do you feel truly alive?
    How do you get in the way of your own success?
    What chapters would you separate your autobiography into?
    If you could make a 20 second phone call to yourself at any point in your life present or future, when would you call and what would you say?
    What do you want to be remembered for?
    What are some of your personal rules that you never break?
    What bends your mind every time you think about it?
    What’s the best thing you got from your parents?

@temmetime I'm happy you're getting your rings tuned up! I never soldered mine, largely because my original set is platinum engagement & titanium band. But I've actually taken to collecting alternate wedding bands just for fun, and I switch them out all the time. My favorite is a black tungsten band that when I wear it I call it my Tuxedo Set :heart:

Anniversary
  • Options
    @Jens_Hoes @echo-charlietango Thank you!! I've wanted them separated since DH got the second band soldered on our first anniversary three years ago. It just as always looked bulky to me. I'm looking forward to how large my diamond will feel again! I'm very relieved that DH was ok with it & it didn't cost us.
    Married: 6/6/14
    DS: 12/20/16
    EDD: 11/29/18
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    @AdorkablePixie Happy Anniversary!  Melting Pot is always a good choice.

@lexidawg Happy birthday!

My wedding band doesn't exactly match the engagement ring.  For the engagement ring, my husband used his grandmother's ring and refitted it with my birthstone.  For my wedding band I randomly found a thin, white gold band in a box on my parents' dresser.  They had no idea whose it was and said I could have it.  It's perfect for me: simple and light.  For a while I wore my engagement ring on my right hand and my wedding band on my left, but I basically stopped wearing the engagement ring about six months after the wedding.  It's a pretty ring, but wearing something like that all the time isn't really my style.  I also accidentally lost three of the diamonds in it while we were engaged and it was expensive to replace them so now I'm nervous about damaging it.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @echo-charlietango @hkom Thanks for the squash tips!  I think I'll freeze some for bread and then try to make as many squash recipes as possible in three days.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    WRT soldered wedding bands, the smaller set that I have that was passed to me from DH's grandmother was soldered together. They're so worn, though, that there isn't any gold left on the inside of the engagement ring, so I wouldn't be able to separate them if I wanted. Which is fine, they're a very small, tasteful design that isn't too bulky even together, so it hasn't bothered me. Not that I can squeeze my sausage fingers into them lately :D
    Pass the sheet cake.

BabyGaga
  • Options
    @kadeephd haha i dont wear my engagement ring either. Mine was Mh's Great great grandmothers (from the 1860s) and it's beautiful but it's way too scary for me to wear and think something could happen to it. I wear my plain gold band. :)
  • Options
    tunneltunnel member
    Any ideas on how I can announce my pregnancy in my office without having to walk around telling everyone?  I plan on telling my superiors in person, my assistant, and couple of friend/colleagues, but how can I can I tell the other 50 people? 
    @AdorkablePixie - Melting Pot is fun, but I'm always hungry afterwards!
    @lexidawg - Happy Birthday!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @tunnel did you see the pizza announcement in the announcements thread? I have also seen bagels/donuts with notes on them for the office. It's a good way to share if you want a more passive announcement. 
  • Options
    @tunnel do you need to? I plan on letting people figure it out themselves. 
    Pass the sheet cake.

BabyGaga
  • Options
    @tunnel Hm, good question. If I had to tell 50 people, I think I would tell them by bringing cookies or a big batch of donut holes (assuming you have one kitchen / break room). With a quick note like "Tunnel is having a baby in December, please enjoy these celebratory nibbles!" I wouldn't stress on spending a lot of effort to tell folks that you aren't too personal with.

Anniversary
  • Options
    @tunnel my plan is just to have people wonder until it’s too obvious to hide.  Probably not helpful but I always feel awkward about telling people I’m pregnant.  I’m kind of curious to see how long it takes someone to say something. 
    Me: 35  H: 35
    Married: 4/5/13

"You know that place between sleep and awake, 
    that place where you can still remember dreaming?
    That's where I will always love you.  
    That's where I'll be waiting."
    ~Peter Pan 

*TW*
    BFP #1: 11/12/12  EDD 7/25/13 Baby boy: 7/27/13
    BFP #2: 10/29/17   MMC dx @ 9 weeks
    BFP #3: 2/2/18 MC 2/7/18
    BFP #4: 3/2/18  MC 3/9/18
    RPL testing and hysteroscopy: all normal
    BFP #5: 4/1/18 MMC dx @ 14 weeks ----> genetically normal girl  :'(
    Hysteroscopy to remove scar tissue 9/28
    BFP #6 11/5/18 EDD 7/20/19  <3  Rainbow baby girl born 7/23/19 
    BFP #7 12/8/2021 EDD 8/22/2022 
  • Options

@tunnel Really?? How?! I'm always so full I feel sick and DH and I always share a main course plate!! Do you guys do the four courses?

I agree with the food announcements, I bet your co-workwers will love that. I'll just be telling people at lunch one day and whoever is in the break room will know and others won't, at least until we have a group meeting and I will blurt it out. I plan to tell my manager next week after my NT scan.

• Options
    tunneltunnel member
    @morgantu - I missed it but that sounds exactly like what I was looking for!  I'm gonna go back and look.  Thanks!

@runrinserepeat - I want to. I didn't last time and it turned kinda' awkward at times. Most of the men I work with are polite enough never to ask if you are pregnant (or just fat) and they don't assume.  Some people were mildly upset to not have been told (stems from other issues relating to them being kept in the dark, but this was one example). Plus it affects staffing on cases and hiring.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @tunnel you could also just tell your closest coworkers and then have people find out by word of mouth.  That is what I did last time and this time.  I told my team of 6-10, and everyone else will just hear by talking to them or when I really pop lol
  • Options
    tunneltunnel member
    @Jens_Hoes that's what I did last time, but apparently it didn't make it's way around to everyone which led to some awkwardness!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks for all the birthday wishes!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @tunnel I only have 8 people in my office so I told them individually. Any more and I would have done one of the suggestions above re: food in the break room. I feel no need to individually tell people that I'm not close with.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    @mag1cbeli3ver I'm so jealous of your camping trip! That sounds amazing!!
    Pass the sheet cake.

BabyGaga
  • Options
    @runrinserepeat Thanks! I love it up there. We go to the same campground that my grandparents used to go to in the 70's, and then my parents would take us when we were little! There are so many memories up there! I've taken DH 4 times? i think. And this is the 2nd year we're going with neighbors. Just need to make it to Thursday! 
    Pregnancy TickerMe: 33, DH: 41
    Started IF Feb. 2014
    PCOS & MFI (low sperm count and motility)
    3 Femara cycles w/natural intercourse over summer 2014, BFN
    1 Clomid cycle w/natural intercourse Nov. 2014, BFN
    IUI March 2015, BFN
    IUI June 2015, BFN
    IUI Oct. 2015, BFN
    IVF Oct. 2016, fresh transfer, 2 day-3 embryos, BFN; nothing to freeze
    IVF Nov. 2017, fresh transfer, 2 day-5 blasts, BFP; ectopic; 1 blast frozen
    FET March 2018, 1 day-5 blast, BFP!
    Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker

• Options
    @mag1cbeli3ver Awesome! We had a similar campground in Colorado that we went to for two generations. I haven't been there since I was a teen, but haven't had the time or money to go for...*gasp* twenty years. Have fun out there!

Anniversary
  • Options
    @mag1cbeli3ver yesssss adirondaks! Mh's family has a house in the high peaks area (near lake placid, kind of) and it is one of my absolute favorite places. I hope the black flies are all gone and you have a great time! 
  • Options
    @mag1cbeli3ver ahhh camping! I’ve been itching to go camping again. Last summers camping trip fell apart and didn’t happen. I’m guessing with the small tent you can’t fit an air mattress in? Do you have a yoga mat or a big blanket/extra sleeping bag that you can lay under you as some extra cushion? I hope you’ll be able to sleep comfortably enough. 

@lexidawg happy early birthday! 
  • Options
    @morgantu @mag1cbeli3ver do you guys live in upstate NY?  I'm near the Albany area
  • Options
    morgantumorgantu member
    edited June 2018
    @Jens_Hoes I'm over in wny, rochester area