October 2018 Moms
Options

Randoms 6/9

Re: Randoms 6/9

• Options
    @chyvie I'm the same. I hate needles that go into me (I don't mind my tattoos). I know that's part of the reason I don't get some of the ones I've avoided.

I did get the Hep A shot (round 1) and got really sick after so I didn't go back for the 2nd. I'm not against vaxx at all, and my kid will have the Hep A vax. However it clearly didn't agree with me.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @knottieamusements serious. If I get exposed at work I have to have a booster. In my 4 years as a vet, I have been boostered 3 times already.
  • Options
    Lisa3379Lisa3379 member
    edited June 2018
    I was thinking about the not feeling connected thing as the day goes on... you know what makes a difference for me? I don’t know any of your names or what any of you really look like. Not that that’s a prerequisite for getting to know people online, per se, but just something that was a game changer for connecting with my first bump group. Once we moved to Facebook I could see everyone’s face and name, and that helped me connect everyone’s story to an actual person. Plus, on this stupid app on the phone, I can barely see anyone’s avatar! Haha. So it’s all very anonymous for me still, but I wouldn’t necessarily feel sad over it, because I’m not - I don’t feel left out or anything. It’s just whatever. :) I’m still coming around! 
  • Options
    I haven’t finished reading all these responses but yes you need the tdap every time you’re pregnant. It protects your baby from pertussis until they’re old enough for their first Dtap. It sucks because I hate the tdap. It hurts and it always gives me a day of feeling flu-y.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I’m so glad someone asked about the tdap. My doctor hasn’t mentioned it yet and I just had it about a year ago so I wouldn’t have thought to ask. I will definitely have to ask at my next appointment.
    Me:29 DH:30
    Married:10/2012
    TTC #1: 12/2017
  • Options
    I get the feeling disconnected only in the sense that I can't keep up between this terrible app and the web page being "okay". I feel like by the time I can respond I'm so far behind in the thread that I feel awkward jumping I'm or that my responses are so rushed they aren't as clear or detailed as I'd like them to be. 

I was going to try to read the January thread but I'm still upset with my mom making anti vax comments last night (mind you all four of her kids are vaccinated?) that I just dont think I can read it right now. 

I think I had my Tdap with DS when I left the hospital but I'm gonna bring it up at my next appointment  because I'm really not sure. 
  • Options
    I have a hard time trying to keep up too and when to jump in to post, I am usually too late and the group has already moved on to the next topic. I also find it hard that I am a Canadian and can’t relate to all the issues that come up. I try to jump in when I can but sometimes it is just easier to lurk and to hit the love button when I can. 
  • Options
    Oh, and anti-vaxx, ugh! I didn’t read the thread everybody is referring to, but the anti-vaxx thing bothers me.  I’m worried we’ll be exposed to a lot of them since we’re homeschooling and joined a co-op.  Normally I tolerate them since we are all vaxxed (definitely don’t agree with their choices though), but new baby plus new co-op has me a bit nervous.

Last pregnancy I was offered Dtap after my twins were born. I was so drugged up I declined it because of my reaction to it last time. Last time I basically felt hungover for the next day or 2. When I asked the dr about that reaction, he told me that I could just call him if I ever got a deep cut to get it then. Between that and being drugged up I immediately said no when offered at the hospital and then regretted it the next day (but stupidly never asked for it).  I am way overdue for it and will ask about getting it after delivery this time.  At the risk of sounding anti-vaxx here, I avoid vaccines while pregnant because from my understanding, most haven’t actually been studied in pregnancy.  They’ve been deemed safe, but without actual studies and with all the increased childhood issues, I personally feel better waiting until after delivery, especially since the flu vaccine is currently being studied for causing miscarriages in certain years that weren’t really too long ago. I fully support anybody that gets it during pregnancy and don’t personally know anybody that claims vaccine injury from getting it, but with my reaction to it last time, I feel better waiting until after delivery.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Ugh Anti-Vaxx. I was watching an SVU about it today. 
  • Options
    Is there a vaccine for chicken pox now? I was just gonna find out who had chicken pox and send my kid their way to get exposure, does that make me a bad mom lol? Also I feel like most adults have had chicken pox so maybe it's just never brought up because it's so common? Would be more rare to see someone who hasn't had it I think...
  • Options
    @jemmerjams - Yes, there is a vaccine for chicken pox; I think it has been around for ten or fifteen years now.  
  • Options
    @knottieamusements thanks! Is that a standard one with vaccine schedules, or is it mainly used if you don't manage to contract it naturally by a certain age?
  • Options
    I believe the chicken pox vaxx came out in the late 90s. I believe I had already had it by the time my Dr offered it to my mom. It is now part of the normal routine from what I understand. Looks like it's usually given at 1yr and is a 2 part series. Hep A is the same, it didn't come out until late 90s but i believe is also now standard. 
  • Options
    halfanewthalfanewt member
    edited June 2018
    @jemmerjams I’ve never had chicken pox, despite being sent to play with every kid in prek-3 who had it. Ended up getting the vaccine when I was 15, I think? Don’t know if that’s still the norm or not, though. 
  • Options
    zwink1zwink1 member
    I ended up with chicken pox twice. I had it when I was a toddler, but apparently only got a few bumps and recovered pretty quickly. I was sitting in fifth grade at some laser light shows school was doing when I started feeling itchy and seeing spots all over. Someone said I looked like I was getting chicken pox. I said it couldn't be because I'd already had it. Wrong! 

H has had shingles twice already and he's only 33, so that's going to be fun for him. 
  • Options
    @jemmerjams It is standard and kids are required to have it to attend school (at least in NY). I debated getting it for my kids because chicken pox really wasn’t that bad for me or anybody I knew that had it when we were kids. My husband on the other hand had it really bad.  He pushed for it, so we did it.  I haven’t heard of a single kid we know getting chicken pox because everybody is vaccinated now, so we would have ended up getting the vax for them anyway.
  • Options
    @jemmerjams be careful of having your kids exposed to chickenpox if you’ve never had them. Adults who get chickenpox are much more likely than kids to get the significant side effects (things like pneumonia and encephalitis- which is brain swelling). We always had to stay away from my grandpa when we had chickenpox since he’d never had them. 
    https://www.webmd.com/vaccines/chickenpox-varicella-vaccine-guidelines-for-adults

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    @jemmerjams - to add to what @jennybean80 said, your might also look into getting the shingles vaccine for yourself.  My understanding is that they are both the same virus, and, as several people have commented above, really sucks.  
  • Options
    Or maybe not?  It looks like they only recommend it for older adults:

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/vpd/shingles/public/zostavax/index.html
  • Options
    Yep. In order to get shingles, you have to have previously had chickenpox (varicella). The varicella virus then moves into your central nervous system, where it lays dormant. Then decades later it can reactivate and you develop shingles which is incredibly painful. 
  • Options
    @jennybean80 Do you know why shingles vaccines aren’t recommended for younger adults that have had chicken pox?  My SIL has shingles in her 30s, and MH’s aunt had them in her 50s.  Are they just unlucky getting it so young or is shingles riskier for older adults so the vaccine is only recommended for them (& everybody else just has to suffer).

Disclaimer - I fully recognize that you work in L&D and may not know the answer to that.
  • Options
    I can’t believe I didn’t know there was a chicken pox vaccine now! I’m pro every vaxx over here too.
  • Options
    @purplegoldfish2 from what I understand it’s a cost:benefit situation. The people most likely to have severe complications from shingles are those 60 and older, so while the vaccine is approved for age 50+ (and wouldn’t be harmful for younger people who’ve already had chickenpox) they are targeting the most vulnerable population. The nice thing about the chickenpox vaccine is that it will likely eliminate the chance of our kids ever having to deal with shingles. 
  • Options
    @HoosOnFirst it's so easy to miss because they call it by its proper name! 
    DS  12-1-2014
    DD 10-29-2016
    #3 due 10-13-2018
  • Options
    @jemmerjams - I totally didn’t think that!   I was surprised when I found out about the Chicken Pox vaccine too!  (Like- why?  It is a childhood right of passage!  But I guess not anymore...)
  • Options
    @knottieamusements I thought the same thing, which is why I debated giving that one despite not being anti-vax. I didn’t think chicken pox had high risks for kids, but the chance that it can prevent shingles when they’re older is apparently a reason to vaccinate when they’re young (instead of the CDC making it a vax given at say 10 or 12 for kids that never got it when they were younger). At least that is how our boys’ pediatrician explained it.