July 2018 Moms

Weekday Randoms 5/28

Re: Weekday Randoms 5/28

• Ugh apparently blood pressure was high but they didn’t tell me, then rechecked and it came down a little. They’re deciding if they want to send me to the hospital now or wait to see if headache goes away. 
  • @SmashJam do it haha! 
    April Siggy Challenge Social Distancing

• Loading the player...
  • @zande2016 fingers crossed it settles down for you same with the headache! 

• How is everyone doing with weight gain? I hit 30 lbs last week and the midwife threatened to boot me from the program if I gained much more. They said this during my last pregnancy and 10 more lbs later they didn’t send me to their regular practice so I am not too worried. I am a little irritated that they don’t work with you throughout the pregnancy and just resort to threatening to boot you out when you hit 30 lbs. Anyway, I cut out some of the garbage and added a brisk walk to most days, so I have maintained for a week now. 
  • @zande2016 - thinking of you, hope things are going okay!

@chaser61, that's insane.  My doc has never said a single thing about my weight, in either pregnancy.  The only time it's ever discussed is if I bring it up and the answer is always that people gain different amounts, I'm in a normal range and not to worry about it.  I gained 23 lb with DD and am up to 30 with this one.  But I started 15 lbs lighter than I was when I got pregnant with DD, so I expected to put on more.  I find it crazy that your practice is saying that because my natural birth class and doula were all "your body will put on what it needs to support you and your baby, just make sure you're taking in healthy foods".
  • "Monday" morning rant:  I slept like crap and DD woke at 6 am super upset.  When I sat up to check on her I got the worst bloody nose that I've had all pregnancy.  Do over, please!
  • @zande2016 oh no! I hope your BP settles and your headache goes away!
  • wildtotwildtot member
    @zande2016 hope all turns out ok!
    @chaser61 girl I’ve gained 35lbs and barely hitting 34 wks this week. I gained about 45 with DS. I see ob tomorrow so we’ll see if she says something. I am disappointed that I’ve exceeded 1 lb per week thus past month. Counting down the weeks and hopefully I can keep it less than 45 total. I hate how some docs/midwives push the weight so much when women are not that far off. As long as momma and baby is healthy that’s what should matter, right?!?!
  • @MichelleAG05 it is the only birth center in our area and because it is so small, it is limited to 30 moms a month. It is a nice option because the center is within a hospital
    and connected to an OB/GYN. They can risk you out at any time. One of the requirements is to keep a food log but they haven’t looked at it once. If weight was so important, you would think they would review the log often. It is like they know how sought after their group is, so they just slack off and threaten to kick you out rather than work with you. I admit, a lot of junk food has crept into my diet and that is all weight I have to loose after the baby. I can clean it up a little, and I know that the baby is crowding my stomach so wait gain will slow a little. I just feel large now!
  • @zande2016 I hope everything checks out with your BP and that it lowers a bit. The stress of the day is probably not helping. Hugs!

@chaser61 I'm at the opposite end of the spectrum as my OB said it would be good to gain one pound per week now but as of last week I had basically leveled off around 20-22lbs at 34 weeks. I am eating enough so I think it's just my body and the fact that the baby is on the smaller side (potentially because of the marginal cord insertion, but evidence is poor and it could just be genetics). I think it sucks that they would threaten to boot you especially if everything else looks good, many people put on 50-60 lbs and have healthy pregnancies, there are so many factors to consider.

I think in my case, I was also very active and lean before the pregnancy so I most likely lost muscle mass along the way (great, haha!). 
  • @zande2016 I hope everything levels out for you soon!!!! 

@chaser61 I would have flipped at someone had they told me that, and I am NOT a confrontational person. That amount of weight gain is nowhere NEAR where they should be making comments like that, and it kind of seriously disturbs me that they said that to you, honestly. DS I gained 60+ by the end and never once did they mention anything. When I asked if they were concerned  they admitted that yes, the weight gain was on the high end, but there were no issues with BP or glucose, or any other issues that could be potentially related to weight gain so they didn't have any cause for concern.  

@kissableviv I'm that way with this one. Barely 13 lbs at my 32 week appointment. I was told just to try and get up to at least 20 lbs by the end and put extra protein into my diet, so we shall see. I think part of it is muscle mass loss, too, like you said. I did a lot of strength training that I had to cut out this pregnancy. I feel like all that tone just went POOF! Not looking forward to working on getting it back postpartum, ugh. 
    Ziggy       <3 07/2018-08/2018 <3
    Micah      <3 10/2015
    #recurrentpregnancylossawareness
  • @wildtot 32 weeks over here and that makes me feel better. There are so many other things to stress about... I agree, if momma and baby are healthy, a few extra pounds or in @kissableviv ‘s case, a few less pounds should be okay. A friend of mine is a trainer and she gained 50 lbs with each of her pregnancies. She eats a clean, plant based diet and wasn’t sure what she could have done not to gain that much. I feel like the midwives have a box to check to say something once weight hits a certain level. 
  • kissableviv  (I’m a bit late but) I’m heading to the dealership tonight- ugh dreading it!  Wish they made car buying easy.  But congrats on your purchase!

chaser61 I’m at 32 weeks and have gained 30 lbs.  My doc says I’m within good weight.  Tell her to step off lol

*Question for STM's or Ladies that have already had their shower/been getting gifts:

I’m getting a lot of gifts lately for items that are not on our registry and want to return it but they don’t provide receipts.  Any moms know the best way to figure out where the stuff is from? 

-       For example someone gave me a Carter’s Newborn outfit (trying to not have a TON of newborn stuff bc depending on her size, may not even fit plus my friend gave me a bunch of newborn stuff) and I went to Carter’s to return it and they were like- “This says our label but its not from our store” and proceeded to tell me different stores like Kohl’s and JCPenny carry items that the Carter’s store doesn’t.  #mindblown

• wildtotwildtot member
    @chaser61 i have a friend who is super fit (like close to body builder) and gained about 50 with each of her 3 girls. Our bodies are amazing that way! 
  • @babygagnon2018 I've had that same issue. Someone gave me Gerber's onesies in a size I have like 25 onesies in. I tried target and they said it's not from them even though they have the brand. I would try target for Carter's because they have a lot of theor stuff and it's a common store , probably more than Kohl's? Depends on the area I guess . Have you tried to Google this and see if you can find the code for different stores? I'm a detective when it comes to this stuff and I hate not receiving gift receipts! Some people recycle gifts, too... someone gave me onesies that were clearly hand me downs... haha
  • @babygagnon2018 thanks for the response. As for the clothing, my friend taught me to google descriptions of the outfit to figure out which store they came from. Apparently some of the carter’s labels are slight different and once you figure that out, it is easier to find the store. Someone gave me a “best neice” onsie and I was having a boy. I googled the description and words and it ended up being from sears. It is a pain but if you have a lot, it will probably be worth it. 
  • kc1293kc1293 member
    @babygagnon2018 - Returning/exchanging stuff can be a pain. Sorry. Carters makes certain lines for different stores. If the label says just "Carters" you should be able to make the exchange at Carters. If it says "Just One You Made" is returnable at Target. etc. We found out that out the same as you. I had to do research before any return. Beware: my Target, sometimes will not accept things even if they sell it without the receipt. They will scan it and say it wasn't bought at a Target.

• @babygagnon2018 we don’t have a carter’s store around us so if I wanted to get actual Carter’s thing that aren’t the made for brands for target and Walmart then I would go to Kohl’s. You could look on their website and see if they have that outfit listed before you drag it into the store
  • speaking of sizing gerber runs super small so dont do what Idid and just trust label size. 

• @lindsayleigh1989 Gerber does run really small and Koala is not far behind. DS never wore some of the outfits because I just stored clothing by the size on the label. Felt like such a waste. 
  • I am back at work this week after being home for 3 and I'm just NOT feeling it.  I have a doctors appointment on Thursday and I know if I ask my doctor will write me off for the rest of the school year... Because there would only be 4 weeks left I would end up getting my full pay right up until baby arrives and then would switch over to mat leave pay... So 0 financial repercussions BUT, there's nothing so wrong with me that I couldn't finish the year... I'm just huge, sore and totally checked out.  Knowing I could be done is SO tempting though haha
  • @babygagnon2018 Carters is like the hardest brand to return because in addition to their own store they dominate the baby clothing departments at like all big box stores. 

I leave work for my NST and I think ultrasound in just over two hours. I am beyond stressed about baby movements at this point. I don't know if there is a solution or what to do if anything. 

I see and feel the baby move a ton some days and some days it's hardly anything. I have had growth scans due to fibroids and fundal height every 4 weeks and now I'm doing NSTs every Tuesday and Friday and an ultrasound every Tuesday. The baby has always looked great in ultrasounds and NSTs and measured  around 4.5 lbs (53rd percentile) a couple weeks ago. 

However, there are days when movement is minimal and I get so anxious and scared thinking about it. 

I try to tell myself that with all this extra monitoring and her being healthy the chances of something happening are slim. However, I'm still super scared for her. The doctor does not have a definitive answer for me regarding why, just that the baby looks great but call whenever I feel like it. 

I am carrying very small when it comes to fundal height, not due to baby being small but I carry further back/inside, I also have a tight core so I'm not bumping out that much, everything is kind of tucked back if that makes sense. I've been told that this is a big part of not being able to feel much when she's in some positions, she's just kind of tucked way inside me. Also, the doctor mentioned that the fibroids could be blocking some movement. However there are no sure answers and I have moments, like right now where I'm so so scared. 

I'm at a loss with what to do, sometimes I feel like I'm crazy or super paranoid. Also, I had the same exact experience with my daughter. I'm already being seen 2 times a week so there isn't much else that can be done.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @runsomewhere I can understand the worry.  I'm doing ok this pregnancy but struggled with my last one

TW - loss and fear associated with it

We had an early miscarriage with my first and then got pregnant again right away, in hindsight probably too quickly given my emotional state.  The beginning of that pregnancy was rough and I had lots of bleeding and my while my numbers were going up between blood draws they never doubled like they should and we were told to be cautiously optimistic.  The baby kept growing but at the 20 scan was diagnosed with velamentous cord insertion... I feel like I spent the rest of the pregnancy just waiting to be told I'd lost the baby and literally didn't relax until after the delivery (he's a happy healthy 3 year old now by the way!)

End TW

I feel like I was always worried and it got worse as I got closer to the end.  I guess long story short - I hear what you are saying, and your feelings are valid and I'm so sorry you are worried.  Sending big hugs and wishing you an uneventful last little bit of pregnancy. 
  • @KatyF0813 thank you for your kind words and I'm so sorry for your loss and stressful pregnancy with your rainbow baby. I'm glad you're feeling better this time. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @runsomewhere I have worried for the same reason and like you I carry super small and as you read I've had anxiety about baby growth too. But all I can do at this point is to trust my doctor that the baby is ok. He has actually been suuuuper active this weekend and while it is definitely nothing scientific I feel like when I'm extremely anxious baby doesn't move much. I would say that if everything checks out on the US then baby girl is doing well. Some babies are just not as active, my friend told me her girl was not a big mover and she was on edge a lot because of that. You are being monitored which is good and I'm sure once you are off work you will be able to relax a bit more as well.

With that said I completely understand how you feel, hugs mama!
  • I used a UPC barcode lookup website to return/exchange some stuff after DD's baby shower (mostly items we got double).  Some of them ended up being Amazon, so there wasn't anything I could do but keep and re-gift or donate.  I plan to use the same method to exchange some diapers - we got probably 5-6 boxes of Size 1 from our sprinkle and I know we won't use them all, but I plan to wait until he's close to needing to move up and then trade in everything left for size 2.  That'll also be a good excuse to get baby and I out of the house during maternity leave!

+1 for the Gerber issue too - they run SO small!! DD was 8 lb 4 oz and could never fit into the 0-3 month Gerber onesies.  
  • Good to know about Gerber's stuff I ended up keeping them after all. 
  • @wildtot did the benedryl help? My first reaction was post nasal with allergies or teething - DD gets the same thing.
    @zande2016 hugs...hormones + work stress + toddlers + husbands are not a good combination for anyone; if this is a newer development 
    rkk0002 so sorry about the MIL drama - like @chaser61 I had DH run interference when it hit the fan since it was his mother with mixed results.  Agree it's the right 1st approach, but depending on how far gone it is it can lead to a fight between you and DH.  The hotel might be a good compromise if you sell it as being for HER comfort with crying newborn up all night.

I finally tried the overtone i treated myself to for mother's day - LOVE IT.  Finally got the rose gold i've asked for but somehow never get.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • wildtotwildtot member
    @gingerbride26 I’ll have to see how it goes tonight. I thought it was teething too but he’s not his usual sick when he does teeth. He doesn’t fuss at all during the day other than a few dry boogers because i see him trying to pick them. I’ve tried saline but those things are really stuck in there even after a bath. DH also doesn’t suck them well when i ask him too. Drives me nuts!
  • Been really MIA- it’s a long story but turns out I’ve had mono since May 5th when I started experiencing fevers and nausea. Took forever to figure it out so I was in the hospital for a little bit! Baby did super well- except for when I had a fever her heart rate would go up but it would come down once I took Tylenol.

ANYWAYS! I’ve been catching up and glad to see you ladies are doing well.

@runsomewhere I think I experienced the same thing as you and I even went in for extra monitoring for it because I thought it was weird to have one day feel dramatic jabs up high to all of a sudden only feeling light flutters down low. Have you counted the amount of movements? My midwife said no matter how light and small they feel they would still count. Honestly though I HATE having the responsibility to count movements. I don’t know how to explain it but it’s so nerve wracking to me.

and yes Gerber does run small AND I found that it shrinks easily! I usually avoid that brand
  • So I went for a “mom and me” type trip with DS today. One last hoorah before baby comes. Obviously we’ll still do one on one after baby but I just wanted to have a fun day to kind of close this chapter of him being an only child. I was surprisingly emotional about it..FFC I would see articles on Facebook or online about all the emotions (they were *everywhere*) about “they won’t be an only child anymore” and hugging them so hard before you leave for the hospital and I sort of eye rolled it hard. JOKES ON ME! I’ve been way more emotional this pregnancy then last..so that’s been a trip! 
    Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • @SmashJam SPIN ALL THE BABIES. Trying to avoid a version too. I think they still have a good amount of space now. I thought this LO would never move, but I’ve definitely felt her make her way head down.. She then went back to her comfy spot in my ribs the next morning, but it’s good to know she CAN move in there. I’ve become the crazy lady upside down on an ironing board, walking around with a bag of peas on my bump, burning moxa sticks on my toes. 
  • DH was BRILLIANT in suggesting a constant wake up time of 6:30 regardless of when DS goes to bed in hopes of conning him into naps and going to bed without being up half the night. It's not keeping him from staying up half the night but it DOES mean that when DS wakes up early its EARLY. Today he was up at 5:56. By the time I get my coffee and take out the dogs its 5:45. DH keeps getting up at 5:50 these days. In order to get my alone time I am gonna have to start getting up at 5, and it makes me sad. 

This will probably work itself out once the baby is here and we are up all eratically anyway, but for now, its a bit frustrating!
  • wildtotwildtot member
    Benadryl did no help DS still coughed a lot last night. I also looked for as many boogers as possible. I’m so tired from waking to this coughing. I’ll have to try honey or something soothing. Wish DH would get up at night. 
  • @wildtot in our house, we dread "the cough". Nothing works too relieve it all night long, just temporarily. I think Vicks vapor rub does a better job than a humidifier and Benadryl. But we've tried all the usual tricks (honey and Zarbees cough syrup too) and still end up with motn coughing fits. It's gotten to the point that we stopped getting up for the coughing unless it also wakes the kid up. If your son is sleeping through the coughing, just let him be and try to go back to sleep.

Isabella & Julian & and now #3!
  • @SmashJam sorry the wakeup/sleep struggle continues :(
    @acunamatada and smashjam - +1 for consistently breech baby, I have decided if we get to it I will NOT be doing an EVC - with my fragile tissue and already high risk for rupture, man handling the baby/uterus/sac just seems too high risk.  Growth scan next week so we'll see what position he is currently rocking - I super can't tell on my own and get kicks and bump movement all over still.
    @BrittG13 I hear you - I'm an only child and never wanted to have an only child but now that we're there it's like OMG all of a sudden.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker