July 2018 Moms

Weekday Randoms 5/21-5/25

Re: Weekday Randoms 5/21-5/25

• @SmashJam @wildtot it was the same bag of flour, the first time he just popped a hole and stuck his hand in it.. This time he really went for it and ripped off the top. 10x the mess. Plus we had a pantry moth problem a couple summers ago and now I’m paranoid they’ll find somewhere I missed and have a field day in there again. 
  • Loading the player...
  • wildtotwildtot member
    H just told me I’m acting like my mom because I decide to walk away and not argue like he wants. I should really just give up in thinking he will ever act like an adult and start pulling his weight. I’ll be taking care of 3 children i guess. I just cleaned the litter because i don’t feel like waiting for the weekend for him to do it while i suffer from the stench and hear her moving things around. 
  • wildtotwildtot member
    @zombiehoohaa i watched that the other day! Super funny!! 
  • I might cry today, things seem overwhelming because I am SO TIRED. DS pooped his pants last night before he went to sleep I think...probably why he couldn't sleep. When I went in this mornign it reeked of poo and he was wearing new pants over the pants he pooped in. DH went in around 9 to tell him to go to bed and he says he was wearing the new pants then...so I think he pooped his pants before he went to sleep, DH swears he couldn't smell it but it was crusty in his butt this morning so that fits. I feel so horrible and I'm so annoyed that DH didn't catch it! And I am so tired because the dogs woke me up at 3am. AHHHHHH I hope the day is not too demanding.
  • @SmashJam poor little guy! He knew he needed new pants. I always feel bad when I miss things like that too. I hope the day gets better! It’s ok to let the tears out sometimes! 
  • emsnedemsned member
    @SmashJam We all miss things like that every once in a while, and I understand the guilt and upset. But he will be okay now that he’s cleaned up, and it’s okay to cry! 

I was about to descend into a puddle of tears yesterday, but I was at my friend’s house and didn’t want to start crying in case I wouldn’t be able to stop. She has 2 little boys, and I’m preggers with baby #2 now. She was telling me about the first time her older boy came to the hospital after she gave birth to her second boy. I started thinking about how DD won’t be an only child anymore and how sad I am for her. I have an overwhelming feeling of guilt knowing I have to split my attention now and that DD won’t be the center of my attention anymore. I am very excited for LO to make his/her appearance, and I think DD will be an amazing older sister. But I just feel like I’m mourning the end of our one-on-one time together. 
  • nimmlenimmle member
    @wildtot My hubby can be a manchild as well. I can ask him to do things 10 times and he will say "yes, I will do that today" and then I get home and nothing...Today he took off from work and he is supposed to go through the last 4 boxes of his junk in the nursery and fold and put away his laundry. Let's see what state everything is in when I get home.

@zombiehoohaa OMG I watched her special the other day too. Soooo funny! Love it.

• @MrsMiller8588 that’s so creepy! 
  • millpemillpe member
    @hillbillywife I mean I think he's just trying to be nice... 

Its 8am here and I'm already over being at work.. I technically get off at 3, but trying to decide when I can leave...
    Me: 31 DH: 34 :heart: Married: April 2016
    TTC December 2016
    BFP 2/28/17 // CP 3/1/17
    MFI Diagnosis: Aug 2017
    BFP 11/1/17 // DS born 6/18
    TTC January 2019
    BFP 3/21/19 // D&C (MMC) 5/8/19
  • wildtotwildtot member
    @SmashJam aw poor little guy. It’s ok just let it out. I hate it when your morning start off like that. I’ve completely missed a pee or poo a few times but then realized that’s why he wasn’t sleeping. So it’s turned me in to paranoid mom to check on him after like 20 mins if he’s still fussing or know he hasn’t pooped yet. 
    @MrsMiller8588 super creepy! I use to have a coworker who was way too nice and offered up way too much help and interest in my life. I felt invaded after a while. Luckily my position slowly changed and i got to distance myself more each time. But that’s a tough situation because most of the time you really hope they mean well and don’t have the same boundaries.
  • acunamatadaacunamatada member
    edited May 2018
    @MrsMiller8588 I was cool with the overly friendly older man until you said he asked if he should bring you back a crib lol... That’s a bit much. I hope he just doesn’t realize how creepy he sounds and doesn’t have a secret collage of your ultrasounds in his closet. 

@SmashJam he sounds so self sufficient! We all miss things sometimes, it’s okay! Hope your day gets better 

• millpemillpe member
    @wildtot the weirdest thing is I don't even work with this person so I don't even have a way to really distance myself? 
    @acunamatada oh gosh... if he has a secret stash of my ultrasounds he would have had to break into my house.... maybe the fact that he's overly nice is a cultural difference? He's not from the US originally...
    Me: 31 DH: 34 :heart: Married: April 2016
    TTC December 2016
    BFP 2/28/17 // CP 3/1/17
    MFI Diagnosis: Aug 2017
    BFP 11/1/17 // DS born 6/18
    TTC January 2019
    BFP 3/21/19 // D&C (MMC) 5/8/19
  • nimmlenimmle member
    @MrsMiller8588 Wow that is creepy. The security guys at work are always super nice to me asking how the baby is doing and making comments on how great I look. One got a little overly excited one day and said "Now that is a beautiful sight". I know he means well, but it was a little bit much. However, at least they need to track that I'm there each day due to safety reasons (i.e. if there is a emergency I'm on the list of people that need to be brought down via elevator instead of the stairs) so they know me at this point. But asking if he should bring you back a crib is a little over the top.
  • @SmashJam - how old is your DS again?  I'm impressed that he put on his own new pants!  We've definitely all been there with missing something like that.  I'm always super skeptical with my DH about stuff like that too though - like the other day he was sitting by her playing and suddenly decided then was the time to leave to go to the grocery store.  Not 30 seconds later I walked by and realized she needed a new diaper.  His parents were there so I laughed with them about it, but said "Coincidence?  I think not!"

@emsnedds - I have those EXACT feelings! Although I also don't feel that I'm as continuously excited about #2 coming as I was with #1.  It hits me on ultrasound days and other random moments, but I'm definitely sad about the same things you mentioned.  I know DD is going to be a great big sister though and long term she will really appreciate having a sibling.  But those are the logical parts of my brain and the rest of it is all emotional!  

So crazy that there are so many bagpipers running around out there!  I thought it was super cool, but I definitely wouldn't have if he were next door (instead of in the middle of the park) and I had a sleeping child (which I did not).  I considered walking over to talk to him, but really didn't know what I would say other than "that's cool".  We're Presbyterian and annually have a Kirkin' church service where they bring in a pipe and fife group - DD *loved* it this year! 
  • @MichelleAG05 he'll be three end of June.  

@acunamatada i lol'd at the ultrasound stash, that would be hilarious.

DS now has super gross poo and had an accident on our hike. hydrating and eating cheesesticks now, lol.
  • @smashjam there have been so many times where my son will whine or cry a little during the night and we ignore him (we won't go in unless its steady crying), then we discover in the morning that he soaked through his diaper and is covered in pee. I always feel bad, but then I figure he was able to settle and sleep, so he couldn't have been too uncomfortable. Shit happens...literally. 

Had my 2nd NST of the week today, I can already tell these are going to get really boring really fast. They make me pee in a cup, weigh myself, and check my BP every visit...and the midwife comes in and measures my belly and all that stuff...so basically I have to do all of that stuff twice a week now. I know it is better to be safe, but I can't help but feel like it's so unnecessary. I am glad everything looks good though, they said the baby is clearly very comfy in there. Also she was able to feel that his head is really low and nice and engaged, so I am hoping that will help get the dilation going in the next 4 weeks or so. Today she said they'll do the group B strep swab in 2 weeks, it seems so early, but she said it's in case I go early. I don't really see  that happening at all, but who knows. Time to start pumping myself full of probiotics to try to avoid being GBS+ for delivery. 
  • I know we asked this question a lot early in the board but I'm gonna ask it again now that we are further along. I am applying for jobs and if I get an interview (all teaching jobs) planning on going to the interview without mentioning pregnancy in advance of the interview. My thought is that even if these jobs don't hire me, they have an interview with me on the radar, have met me, and if they have jobs open next year or later in this coming school year then I will have a foot in the door. DH agrees. 

Part of me wonders if I am being disingenuous though...should I mention I wouldn't be able to start until late October when the interview is offered, thereby possibly ruining my chances of the interview and making the connection? Or keep quiet and risk them being annoyed? Two of the jobs are part time and have no self contained classroom, so they wouldn't need a sub, and the position doesn't currently exist within the school. The third, however, is an assistant principal position, which starts July 1 and is full time, so I would definitely need like the first two months of school off, or work on a part time basis. 

I'm thinking maybe stick with the part time and not apply for the principal job?
  • @SmashJam I’m a SAHM so I don’t have any real practical job searching experience but I think that whether or not you want to apply for the principal job depends on what you want the long term outcome to be. Would you prefer in 2 years to only be working part time? A principal sounds like a better paying job, so that would determine my choice too. If it’s something you actually want to do then I wouldn’t shy away from applying. If they need someone who’s available right away, well at least you tried!
  • @SmashJam - if during the application or screening process they ask you if you were to be available to start within X time from an offer, then you definitely would need to say no.  Or if a posting clearly says something like "candidate must be able to start by X date", then I either wouldn't apply or would state in my cover letter when I was available to start.  Otherwise I don't think you're being disingenuous at all.
  • emsnedemsned member
    @SmashJam Everything that @hillbillywife said sounded really good. And I think at least interviewing and then having them find out you’re pregnant shouldn’t cause any harm, and you won’t know unless you try! 

@MichelleAG05 Yeah, every time I really consider how different life will be for DD once this baby is born just makes me want to cry! Like you, I think having siblings is a great benefit throughout life, and I’m sure in a few months I’ll be saying I can’t imagine life without this new baby. But I’m pregnant and I’m having all the feelings lol. 

Also, I recently moved from the US to Nova Scotia (stands for New Scotland) and I have never heard so many bagpipes in my life until moving here! 
  • @SmashJam I think you should interview for the principal job and state in the cover letter what your start date would be. In my experience as a hiring manager and as a candidate, if you have the right candidate and there aren't some serious limitations around the start date it is possible for companies to make it work. Clearly if I had two equally good candidates and one couldn't start when I needed them too then I would go with the other. But it's absolutely worth a shot.

When I look for a job, my approach is "fire all the bullets" . I always apply to a variety of jobs, even those I'm slightly under qualified for, because at times I have gotten valuable feedback in terms of where I need to be in order to one day get that job.

I hope this helps and good luck with the search! Sorry about your little guy's poop accident.
    @MrsMiller8588 a little creepy but maybe he is just awkward around pregnant women and he is just trying to be nice. 
  • Ugh there's a wasp/hornet!/flying demon in my sunroom and I'm allergic (not severely, like I won't die, but it's been years since I've been stung and I worry about the reaction I'd get while being pregnant) and DH won't be home for another 2 hours so the dog and I are hanging outside in the shade until 3:30 
  • Thanks for the input, all! I already put the application in for the two classroom jobs but will plan on disclosing when/if they offer an interview that I can't start til late october. For the principal one, I'd be able to start on the start date! Just, then would be off for some time before coming back, but could make it shorter.So they can make a decision on that. It will be good experience. 

@hillbillywife your advice about what I want to be doing in two years is great. I think I'd rather be working part time, and a huge part of me says that the two part time jobs will allow me to still be a part time stay at home parent, because if we didn't have this debt and DH hadn't finally admitted we needed to get me some sort of job to help bring it down, I wouldn't go back to work, and likely wouldn't be finishing my ed leadership degree until kids were out of school if at all, because principal-ing is kind of a return to the 8-5 unlike teaching which is still a short day with no summers and breaks off. Basically I don't know what life holds for me!
  • Im at my second NST of the week right now. As much as I’m overwhelmed with all the appointments I’m so glad we decided to do these.

I wasn't feeling the baby move much yesterday or this morning. I woke up stressed out a few times last night looking for movement and slept horribly. 

I am so releaved to be on the monitor now and seeing the good heartrate fluctuations and some movement. I’m still not feeling much but she looks good. The fetal movement stuff is so stressful for me :(
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @SmashJam big girl jobs freak me out lol. Which is kind of part of the reason it’s been easier for me to be like “yeahhh we’ll just struggle through the years when the kids are small so I can go back to work when they don’t need me so much!” But if my H said that we needed help from an income I could bring in, I’d totally do it to help lighten his load a little bit. best of luck to you!! 

@runsomewhere I’m glad you’re able to get that piece of mind. Kick counts stress me out too. I always feel like LO isn’t moving enough but then I take the time to do one and it’s always okay. I wish there were an easier way to see if they’re alright in there!
  • +1 for being stressed about movement. I'm ecstatic they moved my appointment for the growth scan today at 3 instead of 430. Next week is a checkup and then the week after we start the nst I think and I'll be 35 weeks! Time is FLYING!

We had a meeting with a financial advisor this am. My in laws are paying for a year of services for us since they use this team for their company. It's a outrageous fee but they are adamant about making sure DH has a handle on his retirement funds and on the money he gets from the company.

It was so stressful to look at numbers, at goals we need to save for, college funds (holy shit that was estimated at 200k and I'm like...he can go study in Europe we don't need an Ivy League lol), house fund, emergencies...ugh...I hate money management and I would rather be blissfully ignorant and just spend money I know I have without any planning but I know budgeting is important and part of adulting...
  • wildtotwildtot member
    @kissableviv i hate money talks. Honestly I have no real plans for their college savings. My parents didn’t make much to help so I got myself through 7 years of school on my own and I worked my butt off for grants and what not. I feel like i value it more that way. DH is more on the technical side so hey i don’t mind the kids doing that too. We have savings but we never really seem to go past a certain amount unfortunately but at least we have something. It’s nice that your getting the services covered by your in laws. Hopefully it won’t be a stressful process. 
  • @wildtot yes for sure, we are going to use this year of services but then we can't really afford it, we hope to just get some education to get us started. I'm with you on valuing it more when you have to work for it, I don't think we'll be able to save for the whole thing but if and when college is an option then maybe have some savings to help with housing would be nice. It's just so crazy to look at estimates and see how expensive education is. Makes me so mad, it should be more accessible!

Or the kid can just be a professional esports player and make 100k per match. Except I don't know if I would want that kind of life for him, lol.
  • edited May 2018
     Sitting at my 3rd NST for the week. A lot less contractions on the monitor today but overall, this kid seems less active over the last few days. They're having a hard time establishing his baseline heart rate today so I'm pushing almost 2 hours on this monitor. Hopefully he levels out soon and I can head home :/

ETA: Still on the monitor and the MFM just said they'll do an US to check fluid level again today. I'm glad they're being thorough but man, I could use a nap!
  • SmashJamSmashJam member
    edited May 2018
    @wildtot I def valued the education I paid for (with loans and sometimes 3 jobs) more than what was paid for by a relative who left me money. I took classes over because I got a D my first couple years, costing myself extra. By the end I was taking 18 credit hours which was the max base tuition would cover just to shorten my stay lol. I told DH we aren't paying for all of our kids' school even if we have the money, I think they should have to do something like get loans for half of it or work to cover rent, etc. 

• total has been a complete cluster f**k... got cupcakes baked but still need to bake a 3 tier cake and make 2 batches of frosting...frost in 90 deg heat...and clean the house...and prep 6 lb of chicken and peppers...and go shopping...

so much for my quiet day at work with everyone out and only needing to be on call... don't take this the wrong way but I would kill for a glass of wine about now...especially since DS keeps using my cervix as a bounce house...ow
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • wildtotwildtot member
    @SmashJam exactly! I had this sort of conversation with my SIL because she kept stating that my MIL should give us each money to buy a house just like DHs grandmother did. Um no i would never think to ask anyone for such thing. It’s something i like to work for and value for doing it. Her thought process is that parents should help with all they can do that we don’t have to worry about certain things and just enjoy life. I don’t completely agree with that. You can enjoy life but also work towards what you want. That kind of thinking can lead to why kids feel so entitled these days. 
  • I am torn. I am all about the work for it mentality. But I'm also against 20 yo racking up 50k plus in student loans. I think that's ridiculous. It's more of an issue here in the US. I went to schiosin Europe so I have zero school debt and I can see the difference it makes.

DH got his school paid for and yet he is very responsible and works hard for his money. He is an only child with a small family and I also don't think there's anything wrong with his parents spoiling him with certain gifts, it genuinely makes them happy and they have no one else to look after but themselves.with that said, we often push back because they are seriously wanting to contribute way too much and we always remind them we are 30+ yo with full time jobs so thanks but no thanks. 

I think it's a balance between helping your kids without having to sacrifice your entire life while also teaching them the importance of working hard and of not expecting things would fall into their lap. 

Clearly when you have 2-3+ kids things are way different.
  • @TalesOfASocialIntrovert let us know how the fluid check goes! That sounds awful, my two NSTs this week were only 20 mins each and I was already getting antsy and uncomfortable towards the end. I can’t imagine 2 hours. 

We we have no college savings fund yet, and no plans in the near future to start one. Don’t get me wrong, I’d like to, but we have more immediate financial goals to work on. My state has great state schools at a fraction of the cost of private and I will likely tell me kids what my parents told me...I will help to pay for/pay for a state school, if you want to go private you’re going to have to get loans and scholarships. I worked much harder in law school than undergrad knowing I was footing the bill, then when I graduated my dad surprised me and paid off all my loans. I’m eternally grateful for that since I spent 3 years thinking I’d be $100k in debt. 

It’s too hot today to be pregnant. I know it’s just gonna get worse in June and July. I’m really excited to take my son to sesame place tomorrow but starting to wonder wtf I was thinking since the weather forecast says 90 and I know the crowds will be nuts. Bracing myself...
  • @zande2016 I'm with you on that, it's pretty much my plan...like hey go to public school or to Europe or get scholarship and loans and we'll help with housing. The college fund is not something we are starting now either, more of a long term goal...for now, we have a new car coming and hopefully we will be able to afford a home in a couple of years!

@TalesOfASocialIntrovert I'll be looking for an update, good luck !
  • @gingerbride26 oh no so much to do! I hope you can delegate some of it or let it go til tomorrow. Party is tomorrow right?