December 2017 Moms
Options

Sh*t People Say to Pregnant Women

Re: Sh*t People Say to Pregnant Women

• Options
    @MJDsquared @clovelyone yep. Same here. They mean it as a compliment.... but to me I'm like... hey I'm not normally this big! Do I always look this big to you?!? Haha Why comment on size at all...
  • Options
    So myself and another friend at work are pregnant and our boss keeps making the dumbest jokes about being fat. He says to me the other day "are you still going to Orange Theory Fitness?" to which I reply "no". He proceeds to say "I didn't think so since you've put on some weight". He knows I'm pregnant but for some reason he thinks jokes like that are funny. He told the bigger boss, about my friend "she's not fat, she's pregnant.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @leilagphillips I am just going to equate it to him being an absolute moron in the situation. I know it bugs my friend more so I "jokingly" let him know that if he made another comment like that to my friend she was liable to punch him. Also I had a witness so I "jokingly" turned and said "sorry but you have now become my witness". Later on he was talking about someone and I asked if it was the "fit one with the nice athletic body" to which he goes "like me?" and I roll my eyes and said "yeah okay" very sarcastically. He was semi offend so I told him "I guess we are even now". Although he looked for his insult. This pregnancy I've decided pretty much nothing can phase me. Last time I was offend people would tell me I wasn't going to make my due date. I was convinced I was looking oh so good only to realize I gained 50 lb and looking back at the pictures I was huge. I was carrying a 9 and a half pounder so at his point I feel accomplished and could care less. I decided that just for shits and giggles I am going to come up with something insulting to say back and watch the fallout of them being offend lol
  • Options
    @casace I'm glad you're not letting it get to you. I think if it was just one time, I would let it slide, but if it was being brought up repeatedly I would definitely have a problem. I also work for a huge, male dominated company that has had to combat decades of basically institutionalized sexual harassment in the workplace, so that definitely influences my opinion on the matter.
  • Options
    @leilagphillips It would have to be a pattern where he comments only on women's weight. If he says something about everyone's weight (men, too), he's an idiot, but you wouldn't have any grounds for harassment because weight is not a protected class. If he repeatedly makes comments about the women's bodies, though, that could definitely be a problem. 

Married May 2014
    DD born August 2016
    Baby #2 due December 2017
  • Options
    @leilagphillips and @cait5413 where I work I understood it's only a harassement issue if it's associated with some short of health issue and then that person would be in a protected class. 

He he told me today as I stuff a donut down my throats (shipley's just opened here and they are delicious!) "it must be for the baby". I said no...I don't need an excuse...it's for me and it's delicious thank you! He then asked where the box was lol
  • Options
    @casace correct, health issues are protected under the ADA. But repeatedly commenting on women's bodies (and only women's) could be construed as sexual harassment and creating a hostile work environment. It would have to be a repeated pattern and would have to make people feel uncomfortable.

Married May 2014
    DD born August 2016
    Baby #2 due December 2017
  • Options
    @txmomma16 my nephew was 7 weeks early. He obviously had to stay in the nicu. When she was discharged the orderly her out said "you ain't got no baby?"  It made furious. She was crying and o was pissed. What if her baby died? What an asshole that person was. People are so stupid sometimes 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @jesrude Yea I'm debating filing a complaint with HR. I want to see if I get a raise in October (which I should) and if my maternity leave plan gets approved first.  If they don't go how I want them to go I will definitely be complaining.
  • Options
    @dkizz82 Ugh, that would make me rage. I was lucky my baby was doing great and still where he needed to be, but I cannot imagine the rage I would feel if someone asked me that while my child was fighting for his life, or god forbid had lost the fight. Ugh! 
    Me: 30 DH: 31
    2 Dogs / 2 Cats 
    IUI #1 07/2016 BFN
    IUI #2 10/2016 BFN
    IUI #3 11/2016 BFN
    IVF #1 03/2017 - 23 Retrieved / 22 Fertilized / 11 at Day 3 / 1 Beautiful Embryo tf on Day 5 / 7 Frozen on Day 6 - Beta #1 4/5/17: 104 Beta #2 4/7/17 224
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    "Are you sure you don't mean weeks?" in response to me saying I still have 3 months left..
  • Options
    My friend is 26 weeks pregnant with twins and she looks fabulous. She said people have asked her if she wants to jump off a bridge (because she'll have 3 boys and all under 2). Wtf people? 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @dkizz82 wth is wrong with people?!
  • Options
    I wasn't told today that wearing tight clothing wasn't good for me or the baby. Apparently I need to wear the "tent" style shirts they used to wear back in the day.. 
  • Options
    A couple of days ago, my next door neighbor said to me "wow! I haven't seen you for a week and your stomach has popped!! Are you like due tomorrow?" 
    cue blood boiling. I wanted to scream "I'm 24 weeks pregnant with my second baby in a year and a half. OF COURSE I look pregnant you nimrod!"
    but instead I just awkwardly laughed and said "not yet. Thanks, though" haha 
  • Options
    @leilagphillips I only have good stories to share about them :) They are wonderful and hilarious little kids (7 now) with built-in playmates. My sister had a smooth, uneventful pregnancy with them (they went to full term- 39 weeks!)
  • Options
    @KathrynJ088 What. The. F*ck. Sorry for the language but that's was my immediate reaction. Lol 
    i can't believe someone actually said that to you. Grrr
  • Options
    Haha @blueskies17 and leilagphillios. It doesn't bother me at all, I just find it funny that everyone has some rando in their life that has something to do with twins lol. 
  • Options
    @rebeckyjoy  hah! like that guy has ANY IDEA what it's like to feel pregnant. has he tried it once?  :#

Met: September 2005  Married: October 2008   DS: 09/2014
           Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
           Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    @sierragood Ugh! People are the worst! I HATE when people say that. It's like the comments about sleep after baby. Yes, I recognize that things can get worse, but don't belittle me for being miserable now! 
    Me: 30 DH: 31
    2 Dogs / 2 Cats 
    IUI #1 07/2016 BFN
    IUI #2 10/2016 BFN
    IUI #3 11/2016 BFN
    IVF #1 03/2017 - 23 Retrieved / 22 Fertilized / 11 at Day 3 / 1 Beautiful Embryo tf on Day 5 / 7 Frozen on Day 6 - Beta #1 4/5/17: 104 Beta #2 4/7/17 224
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    @SierraGood love your response. Thankfully no one has given me any kind of reaction to parking in handicap spots. I got a placard signed off by my OB bc parking at work is ridiculous, and I literally have to take a break to catch my breath when walking to the building. It's good until Feb, so I'm taking full advantage of it until then. 
  • Options
    I went for my 6 monthly check up with my dentist on Thursday, and he asked me how many weeks pregnant I was, to which I replied "22 weeks". He then said to me, "gosh he's going to be a big bugger, your already huge" really?? I put it down to the fact that he is only young and a guy so I'll let it pass. I didn't even think I was that big, obviously I do now  >:)
  • Options
    Well, I got my first unsolicited size comment tonight, and instead of backing off, the guy doubled down! He was one of the servers at the function hall where we were having our dinner. First he comes up to me out of the clear blue and say "let me guess...... October 2nd." I paused for a second and said no, December 4th. His jaw drops... "Whaaaat? You must be having triplets!" I said no, just one. So he said "good luck" in that "you're totally fucked" tone and walked away.

Asshole.
    Me: 31 | DH: 31
    TTC #1 since 12/2015
    BFP 4/4/17, EDD 12/4/17

Pregnancy Ticker

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker

• Options
    I work at a church so every Sunday is like walking through a gauntlet of crazy old ladies.  Lately they all say "You don't look 6 months.  You keep getting smaller!"  First, I've seen my weight and that's not true.  Second, after 2 losses all I want to hear is that things are normal.  Tell me I look fine for goodness sake.  I worry enough!