July 2017 Moms
Options

Big Dumb Questions Thread

Re: Big Dumb Questions Thread

• Options
    @nktrodden826 That's a good point- we have a kid potty in storage that we bought a long time ago and I hadn't really thought about the transfer process.  We do cloth diapers so I'm used to spraying down poppy diapers, I'm hoping cleaning out the potty won't be too much worse?!  Lol
    My D'S is almost 3 and he FILLS UP the little potty. I wish I could get him to poop on the regular toilet. Yesterday he tried to wipe his own butt and got poop all over the back of his hand when he reached back because it was so full. It's so gross. 
  • Options
    kat0607kat0607 member
    Today's big dumb question is brought to you by lurking on the June BMB...when is it safe to start doing things to get labor going? Things like red raspberry leaf tea, evening primrose oil, eating dates (just a few they mentioned)? I thought that these were things to try if you're already overdue, but I saw some of those ladies discussing things they're starting now. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    nktrodden826nktrodden826 member
    edited May 2017
    Take this for what it's worth- my midwife and yours may have differing opinions 

RRL tea is safe the whole pregnancy. Just one cup a day until the third tri and then they say drink it 3x a day. Have you tried it? In my opinion it's way better iced. She also suggests drinking it when you get your period. Just overall good for the uterus. 
    EPO is safe to take orally at 32 weeks then vaginally at 38 weeks. Make sure you wear panty liners! Your discharge becomes very oily. 
    I asked about dates and she said there is no direct correlation between eating them and going into labor but there may be.. 
    she suggests sitting on an exercise/yoga ball for the entire third trimester to strengthen the uterine muscles. 
    She says to never ever use castor oil. 
    She suggests sex or an orgasm everyday after 38 weeks to help get the uterus contracting. I'm sure youve noticed the tightening after sex even now. As far as nipple stimulation she doesn't condone it because it will be painful but pumping for 5-10 mins a day after 38 weeks. 

***just to be clear, I tried all of these and was induced at 41+6 because he wasn't budging. So they may work for some but not for others. 

Edit to add: be sure to ask for as many membrane sweeps as you can! I think they started doing them for me at 38 weeks and although they didn't make me go into labor they gave me constant contractions. When they start checking for dilation ask when they do membrane sweeps (they can only do them if you're at least .5cm anough for their finger obviously) but I know a lot of people who went into labor after their first one. They're very very uncomfortable but nothing compared to labor! 
  • Options
    ginger1228ginger1228 member
    edited May 2017
    @nktrodden826 - I can't remember if you live in the states or not, but full term is 39 weeks here.

eta: I wouldn't try any method until at least full term. I don't necessarily believe those things work, but I wouldn't take any chances. I'm not sure I would even at 39 weeks.
  • Options
    @nktrodden826 - I can't remember if you live in the states or not, but full term is 39 weeks here.
    I do live in the states. According to my ob's practice it's 38 but still a typo- not 36. Thanks! 
  • Options
    So seriously dumb question... If you are getting a monogrammed diaper bag, do you put your monogram or the baby's monogram on it? (Don't laugh since I should probably know this!)
  • Options
    oheliza44 said:
    So seriously dumb question... If you are getting a monogrammed diaper bag, do you put your monogram or the baby's monogram on it? (Don't laugh since I should probably know this!)
    That's an excellent question, haha. I'd assume yours like if you carried a backpack type diaper bag it would have your initials on it...right...?
  • Options
    I do live in the states. According to my ob's practice it's 38 but still a typo- not 36. Thanks! 
    Oh good - I was hoping 36 weeks wasn't right!! I know it was 38 weeks up until a few years ago. Maybe some places haven't adopted 39 weeks yet? I thought it was illegal to induce before 39 weeks outside of complications (with the reasoning bc the baby wasn't full term). I've been known to be wrong occasionally though. ;)
  • Options
    kat0607kat0607 member
    @oheliza44 I'm getting a monogrammed one, and I'm putting my monogram on it.
  • Options
    Oh good - I was hoping 36 weeks wasn't right!! I know it was 38 weeks up until a few years ago. Maybe some places haven't adopted 39 weeks yet? I thought it was illegal to induce before 39 weeks outside of complications (with the reasoning bc the baby wasn't full term). I've been known to be wrong occasionally though. ;)
    Interesting!! You could be totally right on that! They won't induce me until 4 days after my due date to give my body time to go into labor naturally. Or at least that's what they said 2 years ago when I was begging her to get DS out of me  :D
  • Options
    RE: Labor starters: I'm too scared to try anything until I'm full term. But I'm a FTM so I have no experience with the stuff. 

RE: Inductions: It depends on your doctor. I'm allowed to birth out of hospital at 37 weeks, so I would think that's considered full term by my doctors/hospital system they are attached too. And I won't be induced until 42 weeks barring complications. 
    Hubby and Me
    Friends since 2008
    Started dating: July 1st, 2013
    Engaged: July 1st, 2014
    Married: July 1st, 2016
    R born: July 8th, 2017
    N born: June 30th, 2019
    Baby #3 Due: July 7th, 2022
    (maybe I only ovulate in October XD)
  • Options
    It looks like they only changed the definition of "full term" from 37 to 39 weeks a few years ago:

https://www.acog.org/About-ACOG/News-Room/News-Releases/2013/Ob-Gyns-Redefine-Meaning-of-Term-Pregnancy

• Options
    Re: labor starters. I started RRLT (iced) the beginning of week 38. I drank that and water all day, everyday. DH and I had sex every night (or morning) starting week 38 as well (talk about a laughing shit show...). At 39 weeks he gave me the foot massage that is supposed to induce labor (totally YouTube-able) and I ate 3 WHOLE pineapples (when you're done, you're done). The next morning at 5:30 my water broke. 

Did is the same for my daughter, but never got to eat the pineapple (not in season). Took her a day longer, but she still came early-ish. 

Coincidence? Who knows!
    married 7.18.12   DS1 4.29.13   EDD 11.23.14

my happy boy

• Options
    I start drinking RRL tea at 32 weeks. At 35 I up it to a quart a day. I also will start eating 6 dates a day at 36 weeks. I didn't make it the full 3 weeks doing it because they were so sickeningly sweet. The RRL tea didn't help with my PP bleeding (I bled the full 6 weeks and then some) but I was contracting every minute and a half so maybe it got my uterus doing more? Can't hurt. 
    TTC: 1/2014 BFP: 9/24 EDD: 6/8/2015 Sorry for the poor man's siggy...ticker won't load regardless of how many tips I read.
  • Options
    acstec1acstec1 member
    @ginger1228 you are correct that a woman cannot be induced prior to 39 weeks, electively or outside of complications. Before that, MFM has to be involved like in the case of pre-eclampsia, GD etc. 
  • Options
    I go to acupuncture, and was told there are points that can be used to potentially get labor going. There is a women's wellness spa near me that offers labor induction massage as well. I don't know that I will utilize any of the above but wanted to add some more ideas to consider. 

I am more afraid of going into labor too soon, so I will let them induce me if need be. I will be induced by 38w due to multiples, but maybe at like 36/37 I will try some of the methods. I am not comfortable doing anything earlier than that. I have heard a lot about RRL tea though, toO! 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Typing this makes me feel dumb... but is RRL tea the same as just raspberry leaf tea? The only tea I'm seeing on Amazon for Prime delivery is not RRL but just RL! I looked at my local market and they only had a 'Raspberry Zinger' which I didn't know if that qualified either 
  • Options
    @MamaRN13 I was wondering the same thing. I'm assuming it is. But let's see what the other ladies say. 
  • Options
    BusyZeeBusyZee member
    Il be having the earth mama baby angel tea! Any experience with that? 
  • Options
    MamaRN13 said:
    Typing this makes me feel dumb... but is RRL tea the same as just raspberry leaf tea? The only tea I'm seeing on Amazon for Prime delivery is not RRL but just RL! I looked at my local market and they only had a 'Raspberry Zinger' which I didn't know if that qualified either 
    Yep- RRL and Red Raspberry Leaf are the same :) 
  • Options
  • Options
    Really big dumb question - experiences with VBACs. What is it like? Does it feel like your incision scar will be ripped open? I had a c-section 4 years ago, and I'm going for a VBAC this time around, WITH the help of an epidural. But I want to know generally what it's like before I get that miracle pain relief so I'm prepared.
    Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy  Baby Tracker
  • Options
    I had one all set for today!

My boobs leaked like crazy all through 2nd trimester, but nothing in the last couple of weeks. Did they overwork themselves? Does this mean anything for BFing?

....As I sit here at work with a giant colostrum stain on my dress :-( They're back to work!!
    Pregnancy Ticker

Highly monitored internet and no cell service in the office, so I'm postin' and ghostin' while I'm workin' 
  • Options
    @GlitterFish

I'm still waiting. Nothing yet over here... 
  • Options
    @GlitterFish no it means nothing.  No way to tell until baby is here and you get going.  I've read before that shape of the breast can be slightly indicative of milk production but like many things it's not the rule.  On a related note, my toddler keeps trying to nurse and is accusing me of having milk in my boobs - he was just weaned in February. We told him the milk was all gone, now he points at them and yells milk!!  It's like he's calling me a liar.  We must still be connected by scent lol.

My midwife also says - no castor oil ever unless you want to poop your brains out.  She does not recommend membrane sweeping initially - there are other things like DTD etc that we would try first.  Anyways, it's too early to be thinking about these things!!!
  • Options
    @virginiaunicorn11 I never had leaky boobs either.  Not when hearing a crying baby or holding a newborn, either.  I had a whole box of breast pads I never used.  I didn't have supply issues either, and went 15 months.  Everyone is so different.
  • Options
    Never leaked before baby was born. Only leaked after baby was born initially for the first week or two when I would get out of the shower or when I was feeding her on one side the other would drip. When she started sleeping through the night I would leak a bit while I slept. But never when I let down before feeding. And I had an oversupply. So who knows...all of it varies and there isn't really a norm!
    TTC: 1/2014 BFP: 9/24 EDD: 6/8/2015 Sorry for the poor man's siggy...ticker won't load regardless of how many tips I read.
  • Options
    BusyZeeBusyZee member
    I was getting worried I won't be able to BF because I hadn't leaked yet, almost felt left out lol. I woke up with a crusty white spot on my tank this morning..!
  • Options
    BusyZeeBusyZee member
    I have a question. A lot of people here have been sounding like they know their babies position at this point in pregnancy ... and I have no idea whatsoever.

I asked the doctor where the baby was and she looked at me like I was crazy. Then I asked her if she was going to check where he was and she responded with "he's all over the place right now, too soon to know baby's position". 
    Now I'm confused, I know people use the birthing ball to adjust babies position but when will I know the position and when will I be able to "fix it"?(if it even works...) 
  • Options
    glitterfish-2glitterfish-2 member
    edited May 2017
    BusyZee said:
    I have a question. A lot of people here have been sounding like they know their babies position at this point in pregnancy ... and I have no idea whatsoever.

I asked the doctor where the baby was and she looked at me like I was crazy. Then I asked her if she was going to check where he was and she responded with "he's all over the place right now, too soon to know baby's position". 
    Now I'm confused, I know people use the birthing ball to adjust babies position but when will I know the position and when will I be able to "fix it"?(if it even works...) 
    I got 3 elective 3d u/s, so that was how I knew at 22 w and 27 and 28 w. The first time the OB would check was at my 30 week appt - she felt him first and guessed his position, then brought in the u/s machine to check. She was completely wrong on her "feeling" guess.
    Pregnancy Ticker

Highly monitored internet and no cell service in the office, so I'm postin' and ghostin' while I'm workin' 
  • Options
    @BusyZee- I have no clue either! I know my baby hangs out on my right side just bc that's where I feel all the movement but I couldn't tell you how it's positioned in there. I asked my doctor a couple appointments ago how she knows if baby is breech or not and she said she can tell (most of the time) during cervical checks. If she can't tell for certain, she'll do an u/s. 

I can feel a hard lump often, but I couldn't tell you if it's a butt or a head! Heck. It could be a foot. No clue!
  • Options
    @BusyZee I know my baby mostly hangs out head down because his feet are in my ribs. When they've done the heart beat check its always low and to the left, so if his heart is down there his head must be too. Feet movements always feel stronger to me as well. It's still too early to know for sure if baby will be breech or not though. They can still turn 360 at this point as far as I know. 
    Hubby and Me
    Friends since 2008
    Started dating: July 1st, 2013
    Engaged: July 1st, 2014
    Married: July 1st, 2016
    R born: July 8th, 2017
    N born: June 30th, 2019
    Baby #3 Due: July 7th, 2022
    (maybe I only ovulate in October XD)
  • Options
    I think my obgyn said by 32-33 weeks they should be in the right position. After that they're so big its much harder, but entirely possible, for them to completely flip over to be breech. I know my friends son is breech and they scheduled her for a csection at 35 weeks because she said he won't flip back. 
  • Options
    I think my obgyn said by 32-33 weeks they should be in the right position. After that they're so big its much harder, but entirely possible, for them to completely flip over to be breech. I know my friends son is breech and they scheduled her for a csection at 35 weeks because she said he won't flip back. 
    I'm going to ask this exact thing at my 32 week appt tomorrow. Last time she mentioned that 80% are in the right position by 32 weeks...
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    My midwife tried to guess the position she thought the baby was in based on feeling around on my stomach but ultimately all she could say was that the spine was on one side in particular and couldn't tell me if she was head down or head up. I suspect that she is head down since I feel like sometimes I have feet lodged in my ribs. It's not that they feel like FEET rather than feeling like HANDS but if her hands were up there then her head would be up there too and I don't think there's room based on where I'm feeling the lodged body parts. 
  • Options
    acstec1acstec1 member
    @BusyZee No worries now because baby can flip all over at this point. The OBs I work with won't schedule a section until baby is breech at 38 weeks and even then I have seen some babies flip. My friend's baby just flipped at her 39 week appointment! Although that is not super common. They will also U/S you right before the c-section to see if baby has flipped then as well, just to make sure.
  • Options
    lph4248lph4248 member
    edited May 2017
    I've heard the same as @cait32 - they can still move a lot before 36 weeks. I learned yesterday that my OB does an ultrasound to check at 36. Some will try to check with their hands and use an ultrasound only if they can't tell otherwise. She also said 90% will be head-down at 36.
    ~DD arrived July 4, 2017~
  • Options
    @BusyZee The only reason I know is because I get an u/s at every appointment.  Two appointments ago, baby was in breech.  The last appointment, she was upside down.  So yeah, the baby is just tumbling around in there.  My doctor said he's not worried until closer to 34 weeks.