May 2017 Moms

Randoms and Questions 4.10 - 4.14

Fx this won't end up as a double again! How is it going?

Re: Randoms and Questions 4.10 - 4.14

• Loading the player...
  • I have a question. I asked my doctor at my last appointment  last week (34 weeks) how the baby was measuring. She said that my uterus  is measuring 38 cm which is a few weeks ahead. Just wondering how accurate this is in others' opinions especially second time moms. Also wondering how everyone else is measuring. Obviously time will tell how big baby is... Just curious what others think.
  • I have a question. I asked my doctor at my last appointment  last week (34 weeks) how the baby was measuring. She said that my uterus  is measuring 38 cm which is a few weeks ahead. Just wondering how accurate this is in others' opinions especially second time moms. Also wondering how everyone else is measuring. Obviously time will tell how big baby is... Just curious what others think.
    It's all a guessing game. Even a growth US can be 1lb off either way. 
  • FWIW, with DS they measured using fundal height (this time I have ultrasounds at each appt) and I always measured a few weeks ahead. I ended up delivering at 41+3 and he was 7lbs 13oz, so not a huge baby for being so late and measuring big!
  • SKZW said:
    @bacorrea: "price comparing hams" struck me as funny, since we pretty much exist here in this virtual baby bubble discussing tangible long-term investment items like strollers and cribs and car seats. Hams don't compute.  ;)
    Haha well I'm one of 7 kids and my sister is bringing some friends home with her from college, so we normally buy a pretty big ham. My mom is all about the best price! It's definitely different than talking about car seats and cribs! 
  • SKZWSKZW member
    @chocolatelemons: it's my impression that the weeks gestation and centimeters usually align, within 1 to 2 in either direction as normal, so 34 wks could be 32 to 36 cm without worry. There are a LOT of factors at play with seeing a larger measurement, and if your OB is not sounding the alarm, then you're probably in good shape!
  • Happy Monday everyone!

I'm determined to make it a productive day today. I'm hoping to finish up all my thank you cards from my shower, finish packing the hospital bag, and put the finishing touches on my BF baskets. Somewhere in there I'll have to get groceries. Wish me luck!
    Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker
  • march2008march2008 member
    edited April 2017
    ETA: Has anyone thought about what they'll be wearing if you're doing a newborn photo session? I've been stressing about this over the weekend! With my first DD, I remember going shopping a day or two before the pictures to try to find a shirt that was flattering post-partum! I wish I could buy ahead but I feel like that's a risky game!

@chocolatelemons - I had asked my OB about this last week because I was measuring 33 weeks at my 34 week appointment, so that made me curious. He said that small variations don't cause any concern but that they do look at the overall trend....so if you consistently measure far ahead or behind. I'm sure if your OB was concerned that they would maybe do an ultrasound or something for comparison and to follow more closely.

@emilyalso - not so much that because mine lie underneath my belly, but I did notice the full panel of my pants kept rolling down over the weekend!
    BabyFruit Ticker

DH: 34/Me: 35
    Married: Feb 2008
    DD: June 2011
    TTC# 2: April 2014
    BFP!! 8/29/16 --> EDD: 5/11/17....it's a GIRL!!! :)
  • @Kipperoo have fun with your mom today! I'm super excited for you!!
    Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker
  • emilyalso said:
    Is anyone else having trouble keeping their panties on? No... not in a promiscuous sense... a literal one! I've had to pare down my stash to only the MOST forgiving in the waistband, and it seems like my belly is constantly pushing them down. I feel like i need panty-suspenders! 
    I must have some low rise undies because I don't have that problem but between weight gain and my hips moving everything started digging into around my legs. I gave up and bought some seamless pairs in a bigger size the other week and it has been a much more comfortable experience. 

May '17 labor memes
  • Oh here's a random question...I had two rounds of steroid shots at the end of last week and have been RAVENOUS ever since. Has anyone else experienced this? Wondering if it's common or if I just happen to have a massive appetite thes last few days...
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • @chocolatelemons I don't think I've ever been told what he is measuring! Not since the last ultrasound. My OB measures my fundal height, but hasn't said what it is. They are a "no news is good news" type of office so I don't worry much, but I am curious! I may ask next week when I go in for the Strep B test. They said if they notice anything then I will have an u/s, but if not then no more u/s! Won't see the little guy until he arrives, which is sad :( totally went off on a tangent, sorry about that!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
     "A day without laughter is a day wasted." ~Charlie Chaplin
  • @Kipperoo - I know this isn't exactly the same, but Hubs is on prednisone for a few days for a sinus infection and his Dr. mentioned he might have an increased appetite. Maybe it's a common side effect of steroids? 
  • @chocolatelemons My MFM doctor doesn't like fundal measurements and says it's an outdated way to check for growth. If baby is already head down and very low, that can alter the measurements. Same if baby is laying in an awkward position. My LO has consistently been measuring small (11th percentile) and my fundal height has been off by as far as 10wks sometimes to only 2wks behind at other appointments. 
    Married 03.09.09
    Sweet Baby H 12.21.11
    Sassy Baby P 03.26.14
    Little Brother Due 05.22.17
  • hp_momma said:
    @chocolatelemons My MFM doctor doesn't like fundal measurements and says it's an outdated way to check for growth. If baby is already head down and very low, that can alter the measurements. Same if baby is laying in an awkward position. My LO has consistently been measuring small (11th percentile) and my fundal height has been off by as far as 10wks sometimes to only 2wks behind at other appointments. 
    @chocolatelemons - Can I just second this? My MFM told me the exact same thing.

Married:09/14/13 
    Baby 1-Born: 7/29/15
    Baby 2 - Due: 5/4/17
  • This is a bit TMI. There have been maybe 4 times in the last month or so where my stomach gets really upset quickly and I end up with diarrhea. My thought is that I'm eating things that just aren't agreeing with me, but I'm not sure. Yesterday, it happened after I ate an apple. It'll be all of a sudden where my stomach feels upset, I get really painful gas (seriously, there's no extra space for gas, it hurts!), and then I have to use the bathroom...after about 30 minutes I seem to be ok. Does this sound like normal pregnancy stuff?
  • Oh no @RainyDays86! I hope everything is ok and you start to feel better asap.
  • Hope everything goes well during your monitoring @RainyDays86! What a way to start your week.
  • Oh booo @RainyDays86 what a morning! I hope everything is fine.
  • @RainyDays86, rough morning!! I hope the monitoring goes smoothly. You really can't catch a break!
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • @Kipperoo enjoy your pampering day!  That's definitely one plus of a planned induction that you can do a few fun things the day before!

@RainyDays86 sorry you can't seem to catch a break!  I hope your monitoring goes well.  Then maybe you need to get some pampering done instead of whatever else was planned! 
  • @starphish18 I've had similar issues, but it doesn't always happen right after I eat and not always full blown diarrhea, just a bit softer but really have to run to the bathroom! FTM so not entirely sure it is normal pregnancy stuff, but maybe.  I chalk it up to the stomach issues I already have most of the time (hiatal hernia and GERD) and its usually because I've eaten something my body apparently doesn't like at the moment. 

• mcvgal said:
    *snip*

So at last night's weigh in in DD gained 5 grams. I know it's not a lot, but that was with only 2 fortified feeds. I have noticed she is getting much better at nursing and can go for longer periods. As long as she doesn't lose weight I am pretty sure this is the week to go home.
    How exciting! Keep up the good work LO!! :) 

• Stuck in the darn box.....

@chocolatelemons, like PPs said, it all seems to be a darn guessing game.  With DS, it was just fundal measurements, and for months they kept talking about how I was a few weeks ahead and might have been off on my original due date.  ("Um...no, girlfriend. I peed on alllllll the sticks for a few months. I know exactly when I got knocked up.")  He ended up coming on his due date and was just a big fella (9lbs 8 oz and 23" long).  With DD, I'm getting ultrasounds every week due to gestational diabetes, and I told them not to bother telling me how big she might be unless it changes anything with our plans. 

• @RainyDays86 What a day!
    @chocolatelemons I'm always measuring just at or a week ahead and my belly is massive so like everyone else said, it's such a guessing game.
    @starphish18 Sounds fairly normal from my experience.
    Married 6/5/14 in Ireland
    1st Baby 5/12/17, Henry
  • @chocolatelemons as others have said, measurements can be way off. My doctor was a full two lbs off with DD and the induced me because they thought she was getting big. If your doctor isn't concerned, I wouldn't be. But be sure to make your voice heard if you think something is wrong. 

@emilyalso some of my bigger panties roll down sometimes. My aunt saw me folding some panties this weekend and "said they're so small, those don't look like maternity panties." I gave her a horrified look and told her I was still wearing my VS panties. 

@Kipperoo how exciting! Enjoy your relaxing day. I can't wait to hear about your LO. 

@RainyDays86 what a morning! I hope the monitoring goes well and that the rest of your week remains uneventful so that you can get through your last week of work. 

• So I'm sure I could google this, but in my last therapy session I was cleaning up a chess set (a nice one that the board is a nice wooden box that you keep the pieces in) and I flipped it over and it slipped out of my hands and the corner hit the top of my belly.  It hurt, and it scratched a little bit, but now I'm slightly freaking out.  As long as I feel regular movement I should be fine right?