May 2017 Moms
Options

Randoms and Questions 4.3-4.7

Re: Randoms and Questions 4.3-4.7

• Options
    @nda_roxybabe Yay on the stroller! I played with mine in the house for a week when I got mine  :D
  • Options
    lrwardrop said:
    Here's a dumb random: Can I drive whilst in labor? For instance, if I go into labor while at work can I head home and have H drive us to the hospital? I'm guessing it may depend how progressed I am/ what kind of pain.

This was my plan last time and sort of still is this time. Last time my water broke and then contractions started shortly after and were manageable for a couple hours, so I could have driven home from work if needed. I read somewhere that first time moms typically go labor at home during the night (something about your body being more relaxed) and I was just hoping that is what would happen to me - and it did luckily. Actually... all the first time moms I know that went into labor on their own were at home at the time.
    That would be the best ever to go into labor in the night when H is there! I'd feel much more comfortable, not that my boss isn't capable, but ya know. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
     "A day without laughter is a day wasted." ~Charlie Chaplin
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @NotAPlaya-JustCrushAlot - Thank you!!  DS had pretty bad reflux, so the RnP will just be in case that's an issue with DD too, but totally noted!  I will definitely check with the Halo bassinet. 
  • Options
    @absbubbs Haha, I was wheeling mine all around the downstairs to make sure it didn't freak out the dog. He seemed fairly oblivious which is good.
    Married 6/5/14 in Ireland
    1st Baby 5/12/17, Henry
  • Options
    @saric83 - My son had plagiocephaly and torticollis. In our case, I really think we overused our RNP in the beginning because it was the only place where he would sleep. I never noticed he tended to position his head a certain (always facing left) when he slept until our pedi pointed out the issue at his 2-mo checkup. We did PT and home exercises for several months. I really wrestled with whether to helmet and ended up not (his flatness was borderline in terms of severity). Anyway, my plan is to avoid the RNP and minimize car seat naps and be more diligent in monitoring how this one sleeps. It doesn't sound like there was much you could have done (who wouldn't want such a great sleeper!). I hope things are better this time around!
  • Options
    **TW***

@mdlorenz That's interesting.  I'm in a safe sleep group and there are several members who have actually lost babies in the RNP.  They also advocate against using it even for reflux.  Obviously they are not medical professionals, but it does seem to go against the AAP recommendation of sleeping on a flat firm surface. It was definitely a godsend w/ DD, but I'm too much of a worrier to use it now after reading some of the stories in that group.    
    I think we may be in the same group. I won't be using the RNP based on what I read. If baby has reflux, I'm not entirely sure how we will manage that, but I'm too worried to go down the RNP road.
    Married 6/5/14 in Ireland
    1st Baby 5/12/17, Henry
  • Options
    @notaplaya-justcrushalot what happened to the babies in the RNP? did they roll on their side or what caused their deaths? or is it just unknown..?
  • Options
    It hasn't been mentioned this time around, with DD. However when DS1 was released from the NICU, they also recommend the RNP to help with his reflux issues. Granted that was 5 years ago, so I know things may have changed.

11.2011 - DS1

02.2013 - loss at 6 wks

06.2014 - DS2

10.2015 - loss at 12 wks

03.2017 - DD

• Options
    starphish18starphish18 member
    edited April 2017
    RnP - I feel like this was covered at some point, but since we're on the topic again, I'll ask. Even if the RnP isn't advised for most kids for overnight sleeping, it's ok to use occasionally throughout the day, correct? Even if they end up falling asleep in it briefly?

ETA: My main thinking being what would make it any different than plopping the kid in a bouncer or swing.
  • Options
    Hi everyone! I was MIA last week due to being busy with DD and my birthdays and just general life. 

RE STM anxiety: I only get anxious about adding a second when DD is being a terror. When she is being sweet, it makes me so excited to add another kiddo and to see their bond. But I have this total feeling of "what are we getting ourselves into" when she is acting up. 

@jayandaplus I'm sorry you're feeling bad, I too feel like I got run over by a truck. I ended up taking the day off, but even sitting on the couch is making my whole body ache. 

I hope everyone has a great week! 
  • Options
    Apologies if I'm beating this to death, but I just want to make sure I'm understanding correctly. If you put a baby in something (RnP, swing, bouncer, etc) while they're awake so you have some hands free time, should you not let them sleep in there? Would you pull them out if they fell asleep? Would you let them nap for a short period of time? I think I'm learning everything, and then something as simple as this throws me for a loop.
  • Options
    Jens_HoesJens_Hoes member
    edited April 2017
    Apologies if I'm beating this to death, but I just want to make sure I'm understanding correctly. If you put a baby in something (RnP, swing, bouncer, etc) while they're awake so you have some hands free time, should you not let them sleep in there? Would you pull them out if they fell asleep? Would you let them nap for a short period of time? I think I'm learning everything, and then something as simple as this throws me for a loop.
    I'd like to know too...
    If they fall asleep, do you then pick them up and put them in their pack & play or whatever?  And for how long should we not let them sleep there?  Six months? Forever?
    SO MANY THINGS.
  • Options
    @saric83 - DS had plagiocephaly and torticollis and ended up in DOC band for about 4 months. The only PT we really did for it was taking him to a chiropractor. Our biggest plan this go round is to start chiropractic care right out of the gate. I mean, it made a pretty big impact on our world, so even if she doesn't have the exact same issues I feel like it's a good investment. We never used a RnP at home, but daycare repeatedly was using one, even after we asked them to stop. We ended up changing centers specifically because of that, but will be asking again that she not be placed in anything like that. 

@starphish18 - I think some of the other ladies might be more educated than I am on this, but from what we were told it sounds like anything that you use that sits the baby at any kind of incline should only be used for short periods of time. Early on (if you're lucky) most naps are 1.5-2 hours. A lot of babies get kind of dependent on the motions or vibrations that the chairs provide, since that is what they are used to in the womb, and so they end up taking all of their naps or spending the entire night in them. By the time we started having issues, we were in full blown "do not use this at all" mode, but I think that the concept of using them in small increments of the baby's day is ok.

Married:09/14/13 
    Baby 1-Born: 7/29/15
    Baby 2 - Due: 5/4/17
  • Options
    @BabyMC517 you get the 10 percent as a small postcard snail mail from bru at least two years ago that was. The kicker is you don't get your cash back for three months after dd I believe 
  • Options
    I'm in the same FB group. 
    @starphish18 I believe you would move baby to a safe sleep surface (crib, bassinet, PnP) as soon as possible. They shouldn't sleep in RnP, swing, bouncer, etc. 
    AAP recommendations are until age 12 months, I believe. 
    I'm still learning though so someone please correct me if I'm wrong. 
  • Options
    @Jens_Hoes I feel the same way!  :(
  • Options
    @Jens_Hoes I feel you. I've been of the mentality that I'll be set after the classes H and I are taking this month, so I'm kind of allowing myself until the end of April to freak out. I know there's still a lot of basics I just don't know, but between classes and continued learning from this board (I seriously don't know what I'd do without you guys), I feel like I'll be prepared in time. And I'm sure I'll learn a LOT once I go through it with the baby.
  • Options
    I also had a mild freak out this weekend about adding another one. Funny how it's all happening to everyone at the same time. My biggest reason is breastfeeding, which is really hard for us the first 2-3 months, mainly because I have a really slow let down, which means that initial bf'ing sessions take a good hour and 15 minutes at the beginning and we never get below a 20-25 minute feeding. I was remembering how I sort of made a deal with myself that I wouldn't bf baby #3 for more than the first 4-6 weeks and yet here I find myself fully planning to bf with 2 other little kids at home. It'll be interesting to see how it all works out and I really hope I can make the right decision based on how things go without feeling guilty or putting too much pressure on myself.

@jayandaplus - With my first, it was extremely hard to know when I was having BHC, mostly it felt like baby was pushing on my belly and I actually don't think I had too many or at least not many effective ones because I was completely closed and hadn't effaced 3 days before going into labor and my pre labor lasted over 24 hours, which is really when things started to happen. 

@nda_roxybabe - As far as driving, I think it will depend on how far along in labor you are and how quickly things are progressing. I had a full day of pre-labor with DS and was fine driving. Even the morning I went into labor I drove myself to and from the gym and it wasn't until I got home that things really got too painful to be driving. An hour later when I went in to be checked I was already 4 cm dilated but I'm guessing since things progressed slowly was because I wasn't in so much pain to be driving. With DD, it was different and I don't think I could've driven myself beyond a few minutes once I went into active labor. 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Me: 38 DH: 36
    Married 8/27/2011
    BFP #1 9/28/2011 DS born 5/22/2012
    BFP #2 4/24/2013 m/c 4/25/2013 at 4w
    BFP #3 1/31/2014 DD born 10/14/2014
    BFP #4 1/20/2016 m/c 2/12/2014 at 7w2d
    BFP #5 8/19/2016 DS2 born 4/29/2017
    BFP #6 3/7/2018 EDD 11/18/2018

• Options
    @rkstro2 I have no idea if they actually helped but I did them once a day maybe 4-5 days a week and saw a chiro weekly between 28-32w and she turned. 

May '17 labor memes
  • Options
    DS slept in the RNP almost exclusively (naps & nighttime), and it was pretty tough to transition him to the flat surface of his crib. That, combined with the repeated warnings on this board (thank you, Bump friends (sincere - not sarcasm)), has inspired me to buy a Lullago off of a local yard sale group. I was already planning for May Baby to sleep in the 'top shelf' part of the PNP, but this will give us another option. WHEW. If I can get my hands on a double stroller I'll feel ready for this baby! 
  • Options
    @emilyalso  Excellent point on transition.  The RNP to PNP/crib transition was killer for us.  Looking back, I think it would have been easier to do flat sleeping at the beginning.  DD was such a jerk about flat sleeping. Even in the hospital she refused to lay in the bassinet and flipped out when she went flat, regardless of level of sleep.

What is everyone getting for presents for older kids and presents for baby from older kids?  I like the busy box idea but worry DD is a little old for some of it.  I think I'll for sure get her some sewing cards.  She has tons of coloring/art stuff already.

May17 Siggy Challenge
    Labor
  • Options
    I really want to know if baby is breech still. I know he could flip, but I want to ask if they'll do a quick bedside ultrasound (which they said they'd do at 36 weeks) at check at my 34 week appointment on Thursday. Is it unreasonable to ask?
    May Siggy Challenge: Labor Memes

Me:31 DH:32 Married 11/06/10
    DD: Born 8/23/13 (clomid+ovidrel+IUI)
    BFP 9/9/16 EDD 5/19/17

• Options
    @KMD1106 that's not unreasonable at all. My doc did them with the portable u/s in the exam room at my 28 and 32 (I didn't have a 30w). 

May '17 labor memes
  • Options
    Since we are on the topic of safe sleep. Can anyone explain to me why it's better to keep baby in your room and not their nursery with a monitor? I've googled and I feel like I get conflicting answers 

I didn't know this with DD a few years ago and she was in her crib in her room the first week. I was originally planning on putting this baby in his crib in his nursery from the beginning too, but then saw about keeping baby in the room with you. Nursery is maybe 20 feet from our bedroom.... 

i have a co-sleeper set up in our room right now, but realized the side doesn't line up with our bed so we'll use it like a pack n play with the side raised... so we may do a few weeks in that then transition to baby's room. 
    April Siggy Challenge - May BMB - Newborn Fail
    Image result for newborn fail

BabyFruit Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    @rkstro2 I have no idea if they actually helped but I did them once a day maybe 4-5 days a week and saw a chiro weekly between 28-32w and she turned. 
    Thank you!  Gonna get on all that and hopefully help her turn!! 
  • Options
    @BeachMommy2B I could be wrong but I believe the idea is that if baby is in the same room, you will be more aware of breathing patterns and notice an apnea episode before it is harmful/fatal to baby. I don't think a monitor can necessarily do that for you. Personally we'll do at least 3-4 months in our room I think and then reassess. The AAP recommendation of a full year seems excessive. Babies - especially by then - make too much noise in their sleep!