May 2017 Moms
Options

UO 3/23

124»

Re: UO 3/23

• Options
    Kipperoo said:
    An honest question for those that handle all or most of MOTN stuff on their own...do any of you have the baby in your room for a period of time at the beginning? I was just sitting at my desk pondering what exactly I'm going to do when my baby wakes up in my room crying in the middle of the night, assuming she doesn't just need to be fed/changed...do I take her into her room and let her cry then bring her back into our room to go to sleep? With DS, he slept in his room but his nursery literally had an adjoining door to our room, so it was easy to go back and forth. With DD, we are in a larger house, so her room is down the hall. And even if she just needs to be fed/changed, it's not like DH could possibly sleep through that...

For the first 12 weeks when I was off work I did all of the MOTN stuff, then we took shifts for the next couple months until my DS FINALLY slept through the night at 6 months. Husband slept in another bedroom when it wasn't his turn to get up and I gladly slept in another room when it was my time to sleep. During times of sleep deprivation I could care less where I was sleeping, just that I was sleeping.. husband felt the same way. The baby stayed in our room.

I also hate baby talk like most of you.. I particularly hate when I hear people calling their child "bubba"... I have several family members who do that it and it drives me nuts...

• Options
    @Kipperoo Both DD1 and DD2 were in our room until about 4 months and DH slept right through all the noise! He'd occasionally stir and ask if I needed anything but then had no problem going right back to sleep. 

@Squirtgun I do exactly what you do, rephrase the wording. Even as a teacher I would do that when reading outloud to my students. 
    Married 03.09.09
    Sweet Baby H 12.21.11
    Sassy Baby P 03.26.14
    Little Brother Due 05.22.17
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thanks guys! I was going back and forth between "am I sheltering my kid too much, and she should learn words?" And "ah! I can't read my kid that!" 
  • Options
    kat81kat81 member
    Kipperoo said:
    An honest question for those that handle all or most of MOTN stuff on their own...do any of you have the baby in your room for a period of time at the beginning? I was just sitting at my desk pondering what exactly I'm going to do when my baby wakes up in my room crying in the middle of the night, assuming she doesn't just need to be fed/changed...do I take her into her room and let her cry then bring her back into our room to go to sleep? With DS, he slept in his room but his nursery literally had an adjoining door to our room, so it was easy to go back and forth. With DD, we are in a larger house, so her room is down the hall. And even if she just needs to be fed/changed, it's not like DH could possibly sleep through that...
    All of our children spent about 3 months in our bedroom overnight before moving to their own room. This one might go even longer because we're still figuring out who is in what space in this house.

But in the past the baby SLEPT in our room, but their stuff (changing table, chair for nursing) were in their own room. So we'd still walk them over there. We've never had more than a few steps between rooms, though, so it's no big deal. If I were you I would keep everything in one place, or at least one set of everything (diaper, etc) INCLUDING a place to nurse rather than make yourself walk across the house.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    kat81kat81 member
    Squirtgun said:
    Along the lines of baby talk vs adult talk to children, I've got a question that I've been struggling with a bit. I generally avoid baby talk and talk to my kids as if they're people. (Although I do call pajamas jammies! I've never thought of it as baby talk!).  But, in some older books, there are words that have changed meaning since the book was written. What is everyone's opinion on reading those? Example, because I don't think that makes sense: One of daughter's favorite books is Jemima Puddleduck. So, at one point it describes a little house as being "made out of faggots." Which is a perfectly correct description, but I feel really weird reading it to her and teaching her a word like that. I generally just read it to her as "made out of wood" instead.  What's everyone else's take on it? 
    We edit the hell out of books (e.g. adding female characters) and retire books that are sexist, racist, homophobic, etc beyond the point of mild editing.

For the particular example you gave in mind, I think it would make sense to edit because in a perfect world you could teach your kid the right thing and that the word has this new meaning blah blah blah but in reality she'll just use the word out in public and then everyone gets in trouble for it.

• Options
    Squirtgun said:
    Thanks guys! I was going back and forth between "am I sheltering my kid too much, and she should learn words?" And "ah! I can't read my kid that!" 
    When your child is old enough to read on their own they will come across PLENTY of words/phrases that they will have questions about. My feelings are when they are at that point, then I'll discuss it with them. But at such a young age when you just want reading to be fun and enjoyable there is no need to go there yet! 
    Married 03.09.09
    Sweet Baby H 12.21.11
    Sassy Baby P 03.26.14
    Little Brother Due 05.22.17
  • Options
    @Kipperoo I left the room. Now DH left when DD was 3 months and before he left he was gone in the field, but when he was home I would take DD and go to our set up in the living room, we didn't have a nursery because we were moving. For me it was important that DH got sleep because it was such a pivital time as they were getting ready to deploy. He helped in the mornings like @hp_momma mentioned. 
  • Options
    @Kipperoo It's amazing what our H's can sleep through. DD slept in our room for a month because her pediatrician wanted me waking her up every 3 hours to feed. At that time, all of her changing supplies was in our room and I nursed her in our bed. Once she had gained enough weight and I didn't need to wake her up she was in her room and everything was done in their. 

I'm hoping to do the same this time around, but it just depends on if this babe will wake DD up or not. 

RE: baby talk - I think there is a difference between baby talk and using nicknames for things. I view baby talk as using a different "baby like" voice when talking to babies/young kids. We call pajamas jammies and pacifiers have always been tete's in my family. 

@lrwardrop if this baby is a boy, one of his nicknames will most likely be Bubba. MH is a big football player, and it kinda goes with the territory. And we used to call the baby's godfather Bubba when he was little, so I think it's cute that they will share a nickname. Flame away! 
  • Options
    I'm with @WombThereItIs you would be amazed what people can sleep through. Plus in the beginning with everyone being zombies there were nights I legitimately could not remember. For instance one morning I got up with DD and our dogs were outside. I had no idea how long they had been out there and neither DH and I remembered putting them out there. It was nbd because we had a fenced in backyard and covered porch, but it concerned me that I was so beyond exhausted that I couldn't even remember what happened.
  • Options
    I can't remember what I did exactly for diaper changes but I actually think I changed DD right there one the bed unless it was bad. Otherwise I would just pull her to me and feed her and put her back in her RNP. DH slept through it all. With DS it was different because he didn't go back to sleep right away most of the time so then I had to leave the room. 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Me: 38 DH: 36
    Married 8/27/2011
    BFP #1 9/28/2011 DS born 5/22/2012
    BFP #2 4/24/2013 m/c 4/25/2013 at 4w
    BFP #3 1/31/2014 DD born 10/14/2014
    BFP #4 1/20/2016 m/c 2/12/2014 at 7w2d
    BFP #5 8/19/2016 DS2 born 4/29/2017
    BFP #6 3/7/2018 EDD 11/18/2018

• Options
    Our daughter slept in our room for a long time and my husband had no problem sleeping right through it. We felt safer with her in there after all our scares with her and id nurse or formula feed her in there. As she got older she would fall asleep quickly after that so there really wasnt much noise to even bother dh.  But all her other stuff was in her room..if she was wide awake (in the early days before she figured out night and day), i would take her to her room 
  • Options
    Dh "can't hear the baby on the monitor" let alone when baby was in the room! I have to turn monitor up to 5 or 6 before I leave on days he has ds alone or else my kid will be stuck in the crib awake till Dh wakes up lol. We kept ds in room for 11 weeks I would get up change him put him in rnp then feed him as I pumped then he usually was asleep again -yes he was a heavenly baby- then I'd clean up and put milk away if I had more than what id need for his next feeding grab a water and then go back to bed
  • Options
    lrwardrop said:

I also hate baby talk like most of you.. I particularly hate when I hear people calling their child "bubba"... I have several family members who do that it and it drives me nuts...

I totally agree on this!  Where we live now it is common phraseology to call your male child bub or bubby and your female child sis or sissy. It's not just the kids addressing each other either.  The parents call them those nick names too.  I don't understand why a mother would call her child sissy.  They even address the children that way, as in: "sissy could you come over here?"  Um... that's not your sister.  It drives me insane.  Sorry if anyone here is a sissy or has a bubby.  
  • Options
    @lrwardrop your son was sleeping through the night at 6 months? You're a baby whisperer! Mine still was still waking up until we made him cry it out at 11 months (cue the flames, I know! I'm awful!!!).

@Kipperoo - DS was in our room until he was about 4 months old, and then we slowly started a transition into his own room. Most of the time, at least from what I'm remembering, once he was fed there was no issue getting him to go right back to sleep. I feel like once he had a full belly, he was ready to conk back out and it didn't really disturb DH. He would stir when DS would cry, but man sleep must be completely different from mom-sleep, because I don't ever remember it being a problem.

Married:09/14/13 
    Baby 1-Born: 7/29/15
    Baby 2 - Due: 5/4/17
  • Options
    @ChristinaWild I bought this Dana Obelman sleep consultant guide and it actually worked! It was the best $120 I've ever spent... I highly recommend it for those with little ones who aren't good sleepers. After 6 months of sleeping 1.5 hours at a time, I was going to lose my mind. I couldn't imagine going any longer
  • Options
    @ChristinaWild , I'm a CIO supporter...it worked for my son, but he had been a pretty good sleeper from 6 weeks on. Now at 2.5, we haven't had to go into his room ONCE since he turned 1 (a little before, actually). I have a feeling we will not get so lucky with this one...
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options
    My son still doesn't always sleep through the night at nearly 3! Waaaah! He usually does, but every once and awhile I'll wake up to, "maaaaaaama!" The only good thing is he doesn't think he can get out of his toddler bed until we come get him, so there's that. Praying for a sleeper this time!
  • Options
    @Kipperoo DH always managed to sleep through the MOTN stuff and DD slept in the room with us until she was 4/5 months old. I would change her on the bed and feed her in bed. Occasionally he would wake up enough to ask if I needed anything before going back to sleep. More frequently though he would wake up in the AM and say "wow she slept all night" or "wow she only woke up once". No dear. You slept all night. 

My biggest anxiety thing this pregnancy is sleep. DD slept through the night by 3 months (and was only waking up once around 5:00 am by 6 weeks). I know that is totally not the norm but it was glorious. I know the odds of getting two unicorn babies is not great and I'm freaking out a little. 
                     imageimage
    Anniversary
  • Options
    @MrsFreeman2010 you may get two "unicorn" babies. My mom got lucky with my brother and I. He slept through the night from the beginning and was worried I would be terrible but I was up only once to eat and slept through the night after a couple months so you might get lucky!