May 2017 Moms
Options

UO 3/23

Re: UO 3/23

• Options
    My UO. If you support a regional university in sports, I think you should have to have gone to the school.  For instance, I went to law school with a guy from Georgia who was a huge (and obnoxious) UGA fan.  I just assumed he went there for undergrad.  Nope, he went to a smaller state school.  My SIL and BIL are also die hard UofM Gopher fans because they live in Minneapolis. Neither went to school there.  Now, I'm not a sports fan, but it just seems weird when you support a college that you didn't attend.  College loyalty seems like it should be tied to admission.
    My husbands Great Grandpa was the first president of ASU. So the whole family is very loyal to ASU. (He does have cousins who have/are attending the school. And his aunt works there). I didn't give a crap about college sports because I was the same way you feel. But, I married into it...and I'm a huge Sun Devil fan haha :p
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'm going to have November and May babies too. My current mom jewelry has a stone for me, my husband, and my son so I won't have the yellow green thing going on. Mine is actually going to be the stone that clashes (October). 

The John Deere thing never would have occurred to me though but maybe that's more of a regional thing? Also if you get a darker topaz it won't look yellow at all. 

May '17 labor memes
  • Options
    @achays11 I'm the same.  My husband works for himself and his busy season starts nowish and goes until there is snow on the ground/ground is frozen.  
    I also plan on exclusively breast feeding.  I have 12 weeks off, and as a FTM I'm not sure how I will feel physically/emotionally, but I don't plan on having him help unless I seriously need the help.  My mother is also retired and continues to refer to herself as "my person" pre-baby, during delivery, and post-baby.  

@NotAPlaya-JustCrushAlot I have to disagree like others have said.  I went to UConn and there are no other sports teams (pro or college) in the whole state so EVERYONE is a huskies fan.  It was amazing to see the support from the whole state in all sports activities.
    Also, @Squirtgun I'm not sure we can be friends anymore! Geno and Pat Summitt are (were) rivals! I agree she did wonderful things for women & women's college basketball, but I hate the vols only because I bleed white & blue! Side note: as I've mentioned before, I was a cheerleader for the women's basketball team and got pretty close to Pat, we have been on the same court at the same time, not sure if that makes you jelly!

@kat81 I'm with you on no scheduled c-sections for no reason.  My sister said this to me the other day (she is on the fence about kids because she "doesn't want to go into labor and have a vaginal birth because she's too controlling and can't handle the unpredictability".) She said IF she ever got pregnant she would just schedule a c-section. I wanted to slap her in the face.
  • Options
    My UO is that I don't find Dave Chappelle funny. H was super excited about his Netflix special. I barely laughed and didn't get the appeal.

kayemjay2 - A very thought provoking UO. In the case your presented, I think any jail time is extreme. Once emotional / mental competency has been determined and there's no chance of reproduction, I say let them be. 

NotAPlaya-JustCrushAlot - Glad you’re giving a pass to the Rudys. I’m a Notre Dame football fan. Didn’t attend and had no ambition to attend. But that movie is everything! I always thought that logic played a very small role when it comes to being a sports fan.

kat81 - We may have to move my c-section up to 36 weeks (nothing’s decided yet) and I side-eye my family for being excited that DD may be here early. I’d rather wait until she was done cooking and I’d have more time to get ready.

• Options
    @LilMissCrafty my fiance has been doing nothing but talking about the Dave Chappelle thing on netflix for 2 days now, not to mention he just went to see his stand up last month in Florida! MAKE IT STOP... hes terrible!
    April Siggy Challenge - May BMB - Newborn Fail
    Image result for newborn fail

BabyFruit Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    Add me to the list of those who root for schools they didn't attend ;) For me, it's a family thing--my family members are all fans, and it's fun to cheer with them. Especially when we moved to another part of the state and I grew up around kids who rooted for the rival team and made fun of me for my loyalties--it made me feel closer to and prouder of my roots. Then of course, I married a fan of the rival team (who also didn't go to that school) and we have fun with that now.

I think it also has to do somewhat with a lack of professional teams (like @kayemjay2 mentioned)--Kentucky doesn't have professional sports teams, so if you want to go to games and cheer for a team, college sports are your option.

PLUS (this is probably my biggest thought on this), not everyone has the opportunity to go to a major university--let alone any college--so I won't side-eye anyone who roots for a school they didn't (get to) attend.

Maybe I'm an exception though, because unlike @kat81 and @SWE2, I will root for my hometown (not attended) university over my current university/soon-to-be alma mater any day of the week--though I'm happy with either outcome!

(@kat81 Based on our profile pics I'm guessing that you were very happy on Sunday while I was very sad...but no hard feelings! ;))
  • Options
    BeachMommy2B - Yes! Why do they think he's so funny? I don't get it.
  • Options
    kat81kat81 member
    L1C4gal said:
    (@kat81 Based on our profile pics I'm guessing that you were very happy on Sunday while I was very sad...but no hard feelings! ;))

Aw yes we are happy to be continuing in the sweet 16! In an upset my local school didn't make it, though.

• Options
    bacorreabacorrea member
    edited March 2017
    My UO. If you support a regional university in sports, I think you should have to have gone to the school.  For instance, I went to law school with a guy from Georgia who was a huge (and obnoxious) UGA fan.  I just assumed he went there for undergrad.  Nope, he went to a smaller state school.  My SIL and BIL are also die hard UofM Gopher fans because they live in Minneapolis. Neither went to school there.  Now, I'm not a sports fan, but it just seems weird when you support a college that you didn't attend.  College loyalty seems like it should be tied to admission.
    I sort of get this. I'm from a college town and everyone cheers for that college. If you ask me who I root for I cheer for UVA! However, I didn't go to UVA. I'm not like an obnoxious fan though, I don't particularly care for college sports in general.
    On the flip side my roommate in college was a HUGE Ohio State fan. She had pajamas that you could press a button and their song played. She had a ton of Ohio State decor and she was just SUPER annoying. We also have good friends that are huge Florida State fans and the guy lived in FL when he was a kid and that's it. Neither of them went there, but their dogs are named after the coaches, Bowden and Jimbo. 

I guess I am saying I don't care, as long as you aren't crazy about it. 
  • Options
    On incest:  I don't believe that morality or religion has any place in politics and law. And I do believe that many adult incestuous relationships are rooted in a power imbalance. I also do believe that spawning children through an incestuous relationship is dangerous and could come with genetic repercussions. That said...many non-incestuous adult relationships are rooted in a power imbalance, and I'd hesitate to make those illegal. Is it wrong for someone to psychologically manipulate their partner? Of course, but it's not illegal unless it's abusive or non-consensual. Similarly, although there could be genetic complications from children born from these relationships, there are many children conceived under irresponsible conditions that aren't necessarily illegal. Say, having unprotected sex knowing that you have a condition (like HIV) and passing that onto your child. To my knowledge, there aren't legal repercussions for that. I guess I'm saying, I've never really THOUGHT about it and it's a very icky thing to consider, but when I break down the components, it hardly seems like something that should be illegal. 

Inductions: I'm not thrilled to need a 36 week induction and actually received a slightly off-color comment from my MFM doctor yesterday when I mentioned that I was a little bummed...she said "Think of it like a celebrity birth...they do it all the time to avoid getting too fat!"...I love her as a doctor and I know she was trying to cheer me up, but COME ON. Everyone wants their baby to bake as long as possible. 

On sports: Meh...I don't really like sports of any kind, so I don't have an opinion. 

I wasted all my brain power pondering the incest situation, so I don't have an UO of my own...haha...maybe later...

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options
    Lame UO: I got new prenatal gummy vitamins, and I love them! I want to eat more than the 2 recommended eacy day. 
    May Siggy Challenge: Labor Memes

Me:31 DH:32 Married 11/06/10
    DD: Born 8/23/13 (clomid+ovidrel+IUI)
    BFP 9/9/16 EDD 5/19/17

• Options
    hp_mommahp_momma member
    edited March 2017
    @NotAPlaya-JustCrushAlot I hope you picked the correct AZ college team, otherwise we can no longer be friends :tongue: And I think your forgetting that we have three universities, but it's ok no one wants to be a lumberjack anyways! 
    And I totally agree with you on the if you didn't go to school there you can't be a diehard fan! A fan who likes the team, sure that's fine, but not an over the top die hard fan. My BIL is an over the top Arizona State fan. He has a giant mancave, only ever wears clothes with the school logo on it, pays thousands of dollars for season tickets each year and he's never even taken a single college class there! WTF. As an actual student and graduate of that school it pisses me off! Plus I'm a 4th generation graduate of the school! SunDevil runs in our blood! He can't be a just random fan... that doesn't count! 

Married 03.09.09
    Sweet Baby H 12.21.11
    Sassy Baby P 03.26.14
    Little Brother Due 05.22.17
  • Options
    @jens_hoes I went to the University of Hartford. Not sure what years you were there.  I graduated 2003. The cheerleading coach for UConn was also the coach for UHA. A sorority sister of mine transferred to UConn and cheered for them too....small world....
    ****Siggy Warning***
    Me-35 Hubby-36

CP-11/2013
    CP-4/2014
    BFP-06/2014-EDD 02/16/2015
    Valentine boy born 02/14/2015
    BFP-08/2016 MC 6wks
    Surprise BFP-09/13/16 EDD 5/26/17

PitaPata Dog tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    @Louise_Belcher this is a Bradford pear tree: (picture found online. Not mine.). They have a very distinctive smell when in bloom, a bit like rotten fish. They're purely ornamentals, and they're EVERYWHERE here. They tend to split down the middle in windstorms, too, which is another point against them! 
  • Options
    @hp_momma  I shall not disclose my AZ state school preference in order to preserve our friendship.  I do find NAU fans endearing though.  I love the college atmosphere and they are in the same division as my alma matter and sometimes play each other.

May17 Siggy Challenge
    Labor
  • Options
    Ew. That's like cottonwood trees back home, except they just make a mess and allergies. Now I want some cherries and apricots...
    Married 6/5/14 in Ireland
    1st Baby 5/12/17, Henry
  • Options
    Squirtgun  Ew, those trees smell awful when the bloom. Your hatred is valid.
  • Options
    I agree with not being induced/csection unless medically necessary. I had to have a medically necessary induction at 39 weeks due to pre-e. It was beyond awful. My body was not ready for labor. It blows my mind that people think that inductions are nbd. I was telling my best friend about DH missing the birth and she suggested being induced so we would know the date. Ummm no. Plus I was induced on Thursday and DD didn't come until Saturday! So you still can't guarantee the date that route. 
    I also hate when people are around 36 weeks aren't start posting stuff on FB "you can come anytime now baby," etc. No! Let that baby cook!
  • Options
    @Squirtgun OH!!!! I know those trees! They smell like semen! Your hate is completely valid.
    Pregnancy TickerDS1 8/15
    DS2 5/17
    #3 Due 9/20
  • Options
    @Louise_Belcher I also don't care much for wearing my ring either. I totally told my husband I was staring to feel swelling two months ago and I was taking it off. FFTC it still fits fine. 

May '17 labor memes
  • Options
    Re: fandom
    I am a fan police to some extent.  In our own house my DH attended one of the big state schools for undergrad and the other one for grad school.  So he is a fan of both and we go out of our way to watch both.  I went to a large state school of another state (who happens to be in the sweet 16 and is second in overall national championships in basketball) so we also watch a lot of those games.  DH family is also from a state with a popular basketball school (IU) so when we started dating we were die hard for 4 teams.  This is a real PITA during basketball season bc games are multiple times per week and it's a real commitment (haha) to be die hard for 4 teams!  So we dropped the school that DH didn't graduate from and we only watch my team some of the time.  It makes me seem like a mean wife to say I kinda asked him to drop the non-attended school but we were spending a ton of our time outside work watching these games and we needed to take a little break.  So I was a fan police about that.  

Also I don't like when someone is a fan of a school they didn't attend and criticize fans of another school for the same thing. For example:  person loves Ohio state but didn't attend.  Ok more power to you.  But Ohio state fan puts on their social media how they hate that U.K. Fans are all a bunch of rednecks who have never even been to campus or something of the like.  I can't stand that.  You have to apply all your fan rules to yourself if you're gonna hold other people to them.  

Third: i sometimes side eye people who are die hard fans of a school like duke.  You didn't go there, you're not from NC, and you just like them because it's easy since they're usually good at basketball.  If you have no ties to the area or the school or a figure at the school (like PP mentioned Pat summit and the lady vols) then I think you're just a bandwagon fan.   But we can still be friends.  
  • Options
    @Squirtgun I love Bradford pear trees.  I think the way they flower is so beautiful and so springy.  I have wanted one forever but DH always vetoes it because of exactly what you mentioned.  They split or break off so easily in a storm and so they might damage the house or something else around.  
  • Options
    Married 03.09.09
    Sweet Baby H 12.21.11
    Sassy Baby P 03.26.14
    Little Brother Due 05.22.17
  • Options
    @achays11- I'm with you on the MOTN feedings. I didn't see the point in DH getting up when I was breastfeeding. He did it for a few days, and it made me kind of twitchy to have him just sitting there wanting to make conversation when I was so tired I could barely hold my eyes open. Once I went back to work, we introduced a super late night bottle and he started giving that one while I slept. But the 2-3 AM feeding, I continued to be the only one up for. 

The sports team thing - again, I agree! I grew up in south Louisiana and everyone was a huge LSU fan, whether they went there or not. Now I'm in Texas and I just don't understand the diehard UT/A&M fans who didn't attend the school. It's confusing.

Married:09/14/13 
    Baby 1-Born: 7/29/15
    Baby 2 - Due: 5/4/17
  • Options
    Interesting thoughts about incest! I haven't really thought about it like that before. 

College teams: I root for a college that I didn't attend, but that seems to be the norm in Oregon (I know we have a couple Oregon girls here). Fandom seems to split between two teams here.  I went to a small division 2 team so I do root for them when they play. 

Inductions: this was actually going to be my FFFC tomorrow but I had an elective 39 week induction scheduled. I was going to play it by ear as we got closer to see how favorable I was before doing it. We are on a tight timeline from delivery to us leaving on an international trip and there are things (passport being the big one) that have to be done before we can leave.  There is increasing evidence that supports better outcomes for 39 week inductions in favorable pregnancies vs those that go post dates (I'll see if I can find the specific article that I'm referencing). I will stand with those that said those late preterm inductions for being uncomfortable or questionable medical diagnosis are ridiculous.
                     imageimage
    Anniversary
  • Options
    So playing devil's advocate (in the interest of UOs that are making us think today)...should having a college degree be a requirement for rooting for a college sports team without judgment? That's what doesn't sit well with me about the whole thing.

Though I do understand complains about people being over the top about it, talking smack about the quality of education, etc. (And @rkstro2 I'd be on board with a Duke exception--you can only root for them if you went there ;))
  • Options
    I've never really thought much about incest, but as someone who generally prefers the government out of most things, I guess I'd have to agree with that UO, despite its ickiness.

I also side eye inductions and csections done for convenience. I sometimes fantasize about having one but would never do it, especially considering how many preemies have to struggle. 

I can't even follow the college football discussion to have anything close to an opinion about it.

I'll try to think of my own UO.
  • Options
    @L1C4gal duke haters unite :) 
  • Options
    Incest - I haven't really given it much thought but I'm kind of a to each there own kind of person and as long as no one is being hurt by it, I'd say it's no one else's business.

Sports teams - I don't feel like college sports are a big deal in CO compared to other states. I don't necessarily agree that you should have to have attend a school to root for a team though, especially like others have mentioned in states where they don't have professional teams.

Night Feedings - I never made or even wanted DH's help with night feedings. I stayed home with DS for a year and was EBF so it just made more since for me to do it.

I'll take this one step further and say DH also did not change any diapers until DS was almost a year old and it didn't bother me one bit.

• Options
    L1C4gal said:
    So playing devil's advocate (in the interest of UOs that are making us think today)...should having a college degree be a requirement for rooting for a college sports team without judgment? That's what doesn't sit well with me about the whole thing.

Though I do understand complains about people being over the top about it, talking smack about the quality of education, etc. (And @rkstro2 I'd be on board with a Duke exception--you can only root for them if you went there ;))
    I'm not saying you have to necessarily have a degree from the school.  Maybe some attendance, or you worked there, would count in my book.  I also limit my judgment to locality bandwagons.  I think Notre Dame could be nationally liked without a personal tie.  I think Nebraska fans are ridiculous, so I'll judge if you live in the Midwest, didn't attend Nebraska, and are obnoxious.  If you live in Georgia and only like the Bulldogs because you live in Georgia, then I'm at my judgiest.  My judgment is a moving target. ;)

May17 Siggy Challenge
    Labor
  • Options
    I understand not making DH get up when LO is waking up once or twice a night and you are EBF. But when DS was waking up once every hour and a half, DH was sure as hell getting up and at least changing a diaper to make my life a little bit easier. 

@Bailey8809 Was there a reason your DH didn't change diapers that first year? No judgement at all, it's just so far out of my realm of reality. Also, hey girl heyyyy to another Coloradan!
  • Options
    @NotAPlaya-JustCrushAlot Haha, makes sense! I'd say that's a lot to keep track of, but I like/dislike teams for the most random reasons so I know exactly where you're coming from ;)
  • Options
    I also will not be making DH get up in the middle of the night during the week. We've had lots of discussions about it and since I'm hoping to EBF there isn't much point in both of us being exhausted. While the baby is both of our responsibility, him injuring himself at work or losing his job because of poor performance due to sleep deprivation is not what's best for our family. I like being able to pay my mortgage. 
    Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options
    Before I go back to work I will not make H help in the middle of the night. Once I go back to work, if I need assistance then yes, I expect him to help. I plan on introducing bottles right away though and hope I can produce enough to keep that going.
    Married 6/5/14 in Ireland
    1st Baby 5/12/17, Henry