May 2017 Moms

UO 3/23

Re: UO 3/23

• I understand not making DH get up when LO is waking up once or twice a night and you are EBF. But when DS was waking up once every hour and a half, DH was sure as hell getting up and at least changing a diaper to make my life a little bit easier. 

@Bailey8809 Was there a reason your DH didn't change diapers that first year? No judgement at all, it's just so far out of my realm of reality. Also, hey girl heyyyy to another Coloradan!
    Yay another Colorado girl! Ready for the snow tomorrow? :smiley: There was never a real reason that he didn't change diapers it wasn't like he refused or said he didn't want too, I just always did it. I think I tend to be a bit old fashion when it comes to roles in house though, like I do 95% of the cooking, all the laundry, etc and he takes out the trash, takes care of the cars, most the yard work etc. We're not totally 1950's standards by any means but we just tend to gravitate to more "traditional" rolls at home I guess? <--------That may be an UO in it's self but it works for us! 

• Loading the player...
  • schnitz9 said:
    @jens_hoes I went to the University of Hartford. Not sure what years you were there.  I graduated 2003. The cheerleading coach for UConn was also the coach for UHA. A sorority sister of mine transferred to UConn and cheered for them too....small world....
    I went from 2005-2009, and the coaches were Derron Forrest Neal Kearny, ring any bells?
    was the sister during my time at all?
  • @starphish18 - those late night bottle feedings saved my sanity. I have to tip my hat to women who manage to be breast-only. We had a little monster who was still waking up really frequently when I was making plans to head back to work. I don't know if I could have survived without it. We did give him breastmilk exclusively, but I would just squeeze in a pumping session right before bed, and that is what DH gave him in a bottle around 11 while I snored!!!

Married:09/14/13 
    Baby 1-Born: 7/29/15
    Baby 2 - Due: 5/4/17
  • @ChristinaWild Yes, that is what I'm envisioning! Me popping off to bed a bit earlier and H handling that last feeding before he goes to bed. I think even one feeding like that would be immensely helpful.
  • Inductions: YES!! We all know how long it takes baby to cook, don't be selfish and induce so that the arrival is more convenient for you. I couldn't be in the same room with my cousin's wife every time she talked about wanting to be induced once she hit 38 weeks! & yes, I understand if it needs to be done for medical reasons.

I just feel like we should trust our bodies and our babies. Women have been at this a long time and on some level we know what to do. Let nature take its course naturally.

23 y/o;
    First time mommy <3 [05/06/17]

90% of the way there :D

Pregnancy Ticker

• @kayemjay2 - I had no clue something like that could be prosecuted but I am with you. I definitely think it should be on a case by case. Two older adults especially of past child bearing age, should be able to decide if that's what they want to do, as strange or gross as it might be to a lot of us.

@kat81 - I agree with you. I don't believe in inducing early for non-medical reasons. Anyone complaining and saying that they want their baby to come already by 36-37 weeks will get flamed by me. I have a friend who just had an induction at 38 weeks just because she did with her previous kid and she didn't want to be pregnant the last 2 weeks. Major side eye from me. With that said, I must admit that I have been considering an induction out of convenience this time around. DH's insurance through his work renews on May 1st and we've discussed that if the coverage gets worse, we might try to evict baby early. It would be at 39w4d so pretty close to his due date but I have felt so conflicted about it because of how strongly I oppose inducing and forcing baby out without medical need. It is almost April and we haven't heard of changes so I am majorly crossing my fingers that it means that there will be no coverage changes at all so that I don't have to think about this anymore. With DD, we set my induction date for 41w and even that made me uncomfortable (I just wanted her to come on her own) but luckily she came before then. 

@Louise_Belcher - I was coming to say the same thing about birthstones. Not something I'm into and I think that if you (general you) want a specific type of stone, you should just get it, whether it's your or your kids' birthstone or not. I don't even know what my kids' birthstones are. 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Me: 38 DH: 36
    Married 8/27/2011
    BFP #1 9/28/2011 DS born 5/22/2012
    BFP #2 4/24/2013 m/c 4/25/2013 at 4w
    BFP #3 1/31/2014 DD born 10/14/2014
    BFP #4 1/20/2016 m/c 2/12/2014 at 7w2d
    BFP #5 8/19/2016 DS2 born 4/29/2017
    BFP #6 3/7/2018 EDD 11/18/2018

• @MoshiMoshi7 & @Bailey8809 - I can't remember but are you both Coloradans that live in Colorado? Because if that's so, there's 4 of us here! 
    Married 8/27/2011

• vrj0522 said:
    @MoshiMoshi7 & @Bailey8809 - I can't remember but are you both Coloradans that live in Colorado? Because if that's so, there's 4 of us here! 
    I'm a native Coloradan living in Colorado! I grew up in Idaho Springs and now living in Castle Rock, which is DH's home town. Where is everyone else? Totally fine if you don't want to say, maybe just general area in the state! 

• Re MOTN: so, after I'm home from my CS, my DH handles all MOTN feedings since he's off work. This is for me to get as much rest as possible and hopefully heal quicker. When he goes back to work, I handle the MOTN, unless he's off the next day. Then he will do it so that I can get some sleep. It worked for us with our other two babies. And for me, my anxiety seems to get worse if I haven't had very good rest/sleep. (The past few weeks have been awful for me, since third tri sleep is near impossible some nights) 
  • I can't get into all this college football talk. Probably only because my college did not even have a team. Boo.

• vrj0522 said:
    @MoshiMoshi7 & @Bailey8809 - I can't remember but are you both Coloradans that live in Colorado? Because if that's so, there's 4 of us here! 
    I'm a native Coloradan living in Colorado! I grew up in Idaho Springs and now living in Castle Rock, which is DH's home town. Where is everyone else? Totally fine if you don't want to say, maybe just general area in the state! 
    Fun! I am in the SE part of the city so really close to your town. @RainyDays86 is up in the mountains. 
    Married 8/27/2011

• I don't care about sports but I live in an area with two recognizable/sporty universities--I went to one for grad school and now work at the other, so I'll allow my kids to be fairweather fans of whichever they prefer if they're into that sort of thing with only minimal side-eyeing (tangential UO--I fully intend to judge my kids when they're into stuff I think is dumb)--I can see it starting as a generational allegiance and then sort of spreading as a geographical one? Regardless, my UO that really isn't an UO other than in my superobnoxious academic/professional environment is that I hate it when people make a big deal about NOT being into sports and feel the need to perform their disdain. Like, chill out, people enjoy it and it brings communities together and out in the fresh air, good grief. I was at a wedding during some sports excitement once and a professor at my table was like "why is it not that people take to the streets in such a manner FOR THE SAKE OF POETRY" and, like, are you seriously 70 and haven't figured this out I can't help you buddy. 
  • Don't get me wrong, MH will get up in the MOTN of I ask him to. I would just prefer for him to sleep and help out in other ways during the day. Most likely, he will get up with DD if the baby wakes her up. We'll have to see how things go this time. 

• I wake up regardless if it's my "turn" or DH's. when she was a baby and I EBFed of course it just made sense for only me to get up (also SAHM). DH would be pretty good about getting up in the morning (for a while). 

Finally I thought of a UO - baby talk is dumb. My cousin called nursing "num nums". Ew. Or even my adult friend calls things "super yum". So not really baby talk, but it's like a Rachel Ray-ism. Can't we just call it olive oil or a sandwich??

sort of random tangent to that - last week I was on a plane reading the safety info card to DD (she loves it so I read it every flight. Usually both legs, since we almost always have a layover.) the lady next to me, a mom of two young kids says to me "wow you talk to her like a real person". Thanks? Because a 4yr old isn't a real person? Or because I didn't talk down to her? 
    Agreed. When talking to her kids, my friend calls poop "stinkers" and pajamas "jammers."  Once DH was alone in their house with the kids while the rest of us were at the pool. My friend's 3yo told him she had to go "stinkers" and he said, "its poop! You have to poop!"

May17 Siggy Challenge
    Labor
  • @NotAPlaya-JustCrushAlot whyyyyy??? Those are the kids who become the weird ones when they get to school. 

However. You know how some people say pa-jam-as and some say pa-jah-mas? My friend (a different one than super yum) calls them "jah-mees" - like jammies but the soft Ah sound. It's weird and adorable at the same time. 
  • On incest: I would probably be all for keeping brother/sister father/daughter etc relationships illegal on a case by case basis, like the example of unable to have children, but honestly don't see the harm in cousins, I mean most royal families have done it for decades.

collage teams: don't even understand in the slightest. It's not a thing here and I just don't understand at all, but then your pathetic version of "football" is laughable anyway so what does it matter to me :lol:

MOTN: when DS was born H was unemployed and we FF so we shared duties, usually we would both be up, but he was a pretty good sleeper so it wasn't an issue. It was solely me when H went back to work and I assume it will be just me again, he may take over a morning feed this time depending on when he gets up/when LO wakes up, we'll just play it by ear, hopefully DS will be sleeping in his own room by that point so I won't have to deal with 2 kids up, but H should be able to deal with DS pretty easily.
    Me - 22  |   DH - 32   |  Married - 24 May 2014
    DS - January 2014 
    TTC#2 - December 2015
    BFP - 6 March 2016  |  MC Confirmed - 21 March 2016
    TTCAL  |  April 2016
    CP  |  June 2016
    CP  |  July 2016
    BFP - 25 August 2016  |  Due Date - 11 May 2017
  • BeachMommy2B - Yes! Why do they think he's so funny? I don't get it.
    My husband has been counting down. We saw him live about a year and a half ago and some of his stuff is funny but I still don't really get the huge appeal. 

I dont have an opinion on the collegiate sports fans locality issue but I also don't understand collegiate sports really anyway. Give me Professional sports anyday. 
    TTC1: May 2015
    Primary IF May 2016; Failed HSG; Scheduled Lap Sept. 2016
    BFP: August 22, 2016/EDD: April 29, 2017
    DD: May 1, 2017
    TTC2: June 2019
    CP September 2019
    Lap and repeat HSG scheduled December 2019
    BFP: November 24, 2019/EDD: August 2, 2020
  • @NotAPlaya-JustCrushAlot OMG you must know my family! my aunt literally uses both of those and it drives me crazy! luckily my extended family are all 800 miles away so they don't have much input on our daily vocab! 

We don't do baby talk. Other than Fiance says poops (plural) I have no idea why, and his family calls pacifiers "chuppys" WTF is that? We also don't talk in baby voices, I hate when people do that! My family up north still talk to their 4 year old in a baby voice...
    April Siggy Challenge - May BMB - Newborn Fail
    Image result for newborn fail

BabyFruit Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Birthstones- The only piece of jewelry I treasure is a pendant my husband and I had made with all our birthstones. I am diamond- april he is ruby- july ds is peridot I am looking forward to adding to my pendant another that goes with our colors. I just grew up with diamond and you never get anything with it that isn't super expensive. Pearl isn't going to happen no MD would make me wait that long if baby didn't come on due date. I really don't do much jewelry. I wear my wedding band/engagement ring and this one pendant every day. I just 
    MOTN duties- My husband doesn't hear the monitor which I think is something of a lie except when he watches ds on sundays he needs the monitor turned up to 5 or 6 before i leave so he will wake up when ds does. I need it only on one! Anyway when I am on maternity leave I am "not working" according to him and am solely responsible for the baby at night. When I go back to work DH takes the anytime after the baby goes to bed till 1230 am shift then I take the 1230 to anytime I get up to go to work time. I eped with ds so this worked out fine when I would leave some milk out for dh during that time. But again my husband doesn't hear the monitor and wont take the monitor over to his side during his shift I have to hear the baby and wake him to go do his shift which is so irritating. He also "cant be expected to remember to turn the volume back up on the monitor" when he comes back from feeding baby so I have to deal with hearing that over the monitor as i am trying to sleep.... Its an imperfect system we have but the shift worked best for us. 
  • @Jkp7749 I totally get your situation and reasoning for wanting him to get up. And I'm sorry that your H isn't always cooperative. Hopefully he will help more when there are three little night owls in your house. 
  • An honest question for those that handle all or most of MOTN stuff on their own...do any of you have the baby in your room for a period of time at the beginning? I was just sitting at my desk pondering what exactly I'm going to do when my baby wakes up in my room crying in the middle of the night, assuming she doesn't just need to be fed/changed...do I take her into her room and let her cry then bring her back into our room to go to sleep? With DS, he slept in his room but his nursery literally had an adjoining door to our room, so it was easy to go back and forth. With DD, we are in a larger house, so her room is down the hall. And even if she just needs to be fed/changed, it's not like DH could possibly sleep through that...
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • vrj0522 said:
    vrj0522 said:
    Fun! I am in the SE part of the city so really close to your town. @RainyDays86 is up in the mountains. 
    As @vrj0522 said we're in the mountains, Evergreen specifically.  @Bailey8809 DH and I were just talking about how we always forget how close we are to Idaho Springs.  We were saying that we should go there more often for dinner when we want to get out of Evergreen because it's basically the same distance to the western suburbs of Denver and they have some cute restaurants and brewpubs.
  • Along the lines of baby talk vs adult talk to children, I've got a question that I've been struggling with a bit. I generally avoid baby talk and talk to my kids as if they're people. (Although I do call pajamas jammies! I've never thought of it as baby talk!).  But, in some older books, there are words that have changed meaning since the book was written. What is everyone's opinion on reading those? Example, because I don't think that makes sense: One of daughter's favorite books is Jemima Puddleduck. So, at one point it describes a little house as being "made out of faggots." Which is a perfectly correct description, but I feel really weird reading it to her and teaching her a word like that. I generally just read it to her as "made out of wood" instead.  What's everyone else's take on it? 
  • KipperooKipperoo member
    edited March 2017
    @vrj0522 , @Bailey8809 , @RainyDays86 , I don't live in Colorado now, but wanted to say "heyyy!" because I went to college at CSU, my husband went to CU, and my father in laws still live in Boulder. Miss it terribly...it's so beautiful! 

ETA: Despite my earlier declaration about being "meh" about college sports, DH is a die hard CU football fan (even though they have pretty much been the worst for the past near decade). We actually have a CU flag currently flying in the front of our house...
  • Squirtgun said:
    Along the lines of baby talk vs adult talk to children, I've got a question that I've been struggling with a bit. I generally avoid baby talk and talk to my kids as if they're people. (Although I do call pajamas jammies! I've never thought of it as baby talk!).  But, in some older books, there are words that have changed meaning since the book was written. What is everyone's opinion on reading those? Example, because I don't think that makes sense: One of daughter's favorite books is Jemima Puddleduck. So, at one point it describes a little house as being "made out of faggots." Which is a perfectly correct description, but I feel really weird reading it to her and teaching her a word like that. I generally just read it to her as "made out of wood" instead.  What's everyone else's take on it? 
    Personally, I would change the word to something like wood, as you said. In a situation like that, I think a lot of people don't know that an original meaning of faggot was a bundle of things like sticks etc. It's definitely taken on a different mainstream connotation, and I'd be concerned about my LO using the term and not having people understand, and thus assume they meant it in an offensive manner.
  • Kipperoo said:
    An honest question for those that handle all or most of MOTN stuff on their own...do any of you have the baby in your room for a period of time at the beginning? I was just sitting at my desk pondering what exactly I'm going to do when my baby wakes up in my room crying in the middle of the night, assuming she doesn't just need to be fed/changed...do I take her into her room and let her cry then bring her back into our room to go to sleep? With DS, he slept in his room but his nursery literally had an adjoining door to our room, so it was easy to go back and forth. With DD, we are in a larger house, so her room is down the hall. And even if she just needs to be fed/changed, it's not like DH could possibly sleep through that...
    HAHAHAHAHA oh they do just fine.

Baby was in our room until 3/4 months and my husband was clocking in a solid 7-8 hours a night while I was getting maybe 3 total broken up by about an hour at a time. I never left the room and would either sit in bed with Mr. Fussy Pants or pace the room with him. 
    Maybe I just need to buy him some earplugs or more likely, an extra glass of scotch before bed, haha...I know he will be getting up with me, but he doesn't need to get up EVERY TIME the way he did with DS.