All Things Sleep Training

Re: All Things Sleep Training

• Options
    anne11716anne11716 member
    edited May 2017
    Did your LO just get through it or did you sleep train @camcbeth
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options
    @anne11716 I did sleep training for 2 nights and basically got her into a pattern of only waking at 1am, 3am, and 5am (then for the day at 8am). She eats every time at night but during the day refuses to eat. I asked the pediatrician at her 6 month check up what I could do and she said to feed her food three times a day along with bottles to see if she decreases at night. I tired that yesterday and she woke at 2am and 5am. So long story short, I did sleep train twice and it helped to stop her from waking every hour and adjust her to the pack n play. Some nights she ends up in the swing, but it's rare. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Soooo DD had shots today and was due for a nap at about 5:30 and was getting pretty cranky/unsettled, so I took her upstairs for a quick cat nap before dinner while my mom watched DS. It's now 6:30 and she's still fast asleep in my arms. Do I wake her or do I just try to transition from this nap into bedtime? She's going to need a diaper change, jammies, and to nurse, so all that is going to wake her. Should I just do those things and then try to get her straight back to sleep? Help! lol
  • Options
    mrsmoose5 said:
    Soooo DD had shots today and was due for a nap at about 5:30 and was getting pretty cranky/unsettled, so I took her upstairs for a quick cat nap before dinner while my mom watched DS. It's now 6:30 and she's still fast asleep in my arms. Do I wake her or do I just try to transition from this nap into bedtime? She's going to need a diaper change, jammies, and to nurse, so all that is going to wake her. Should I just do those things and then try to get her straight back to sleep? Help! lol
    I would try to transition to bed, but if she wakes in the process, roll with it and keep her up another hour or two. I just had LO fall asleep on the tit so am having the same dilemma!
  • Options
    @SandNStarsNJ @lajoliedreamer Good advice! I tried to transfer her to her crib, but of course she woke up instantly. It was fine though, got her in a fresh diaper and her jammies and kept her up for a while before nursing her back to sleep at her usual bedtime. I normally wouldn't be concerned with putting her in pajamas to go to bed, except that she was just in a onesie and while it's been warmer here, it's not that warm and still chilly at night.
  • Options
    Ladybug2821Ladybug2821 member
    edited May 2017
    @MrsMaryK2016 What type of sleep training are you doing?  How was the first night?
  • Options
    How are you all handling the super early wake-ups? DD was up at 4:50 a.m. I tried rocking her back to sleep, didn't nurse because I had just nursed her at 4, she got upset because she clearly just wanted to be awake so I ended up just putting her back in her crib where she rolled around and babbled for almost an hour. She finally started to cry and I picked her up and held her but still didn't want to turn on the light, take her out of the room, etc. because I don't want to send the message that waking up for the day at 4:50 is ok. As it is now, she's going to be taking her first nap before DS is even awake. What do you do when this happens? Just get them up and roll with it or do what you can to enforce that it's time to be asleep?
  • Options
    @mrsmoose5 I try to put LO back to sleep by rocking. When it doesn't work, I put her back  in The crib anyway until she starts crying, not fussing. At that point I figure she is awake so I start her day. Then she ends up ready for a nap within an hour. I definitely agree that you don't want them to think that is the time to start the day. I read in the sleep lady shuffle book to try to leave them in their crib until their normal wake up time. When that time hits, go in their room, turn on the lights and make a big deal about it being morning. I can't say if this works or not because if I'm not able to get S back to sleep she normally starts crying within 15 mins of leaving her in the crib. 
  • Options
    MrsMaryK2016MrsMaryK2016 member
    edited May 2017
    @MrsMaryK2016 What type of sleep training are you doing?  How was the first night?
    I did cry it out. It was hard to listen to but totally worth it and not as bad as I thought it would be. But I was also at my wits end. He was taking NO naps and putting him down at night would take three hours. And then he'd be up for the day around 4:30 or 5. So I bit the bullet and started CIO at naps and bedtime at the same time and it took two days of crying for him to adjust. He slept 7:00-6:30 today and just woke up from a two hour nap. My life has completely changed!!

Edit it to answer your other question. The first night he cried for about an hour. I did the cry for 5 minutes, check and soothe, 10 minutes, check and soothe, 15 minutes, check and soothe, and then 15 minuets going forward. I never picked him up unless he needed changing and even then I didn't hold him after he was changed, just right back in the crib. 
  • Options
    @mrsmaryk2016 That is awesome!  That is exactly my plan for Memorial Day weekend.  I wasn't planning on doing naps at the same time, but maybe I should.  I was just hoping that learning to soothe at night would translate to naps.  Did you lay him down awake or drowsy but awake (rocked until drowsy)?  Did you put him in the crib early to give him time to fall asleep or right at his bedtime?  And did you only change him if he pooped?  For naps, do you follow his cues or are you putting him on a schedule now that he is falling asleep on his own?  Sorry for the million questions, I just want to be armed and ready. 
  • Options
    @mrsmaryk2016 That is awesome!  That is exactly my plan for Memorial Day weekend.  I wasn't planning on doing naps at the same time, but maybe I should.  I was just hoping that learning to soothe at night would translate to naps.  Did you lay him down awake or drowsy but awake (rocked until drowsy)?  Did you put him in the crib early to give him time to fall asleep or right at his bedtime?  And did you only change him if he pooped?  For naps, do you follow his cues or are you putting him on a schedule now that he is falling asleep on his own?  Sorry for the million questions, I just want to be armed and ready. 
    I'm happy to help. I was so desperate I did both naps and bedtime at the same time. I read to do them separately to preserve daytime sleep while they adjust but he wasn't sleeping at all during the day so I just ripped the bandaid off and did both. I put him down drowsy but awake the first two nights but last night and for today's nap he was wide awake and fell asleep on his own within 5 minutes. No schedule right now for naps but that's my next project. Bedtime routine always starts at 6:30 no matter what. I change M when he pees too because this kid can NOT tolerate a wet diaper and will fuss till he dies if I don't change him. 
  • Options
    A finally rolled in her magic Merlin so we're done with that. She's been fine sleeping on her tummy. She sleeps the normal 7:30-5ish but the problem is we're not getting much sleep because we're constantly checking on her. When does the paranoia go away with them sleeping on their stomachs? And yes, i know it's irrational; she can lift herself up in the crib and turn. 
  • Options
    @mrsmaryk2016 Thanks so much for all the info!  This actually gives me hope that we'll all be sleeping through the night soon.  Was it harder for him to fall asleep for naps or was the process about the same?  S does nap, but we do have to rock her to sleep so I'm ready to not have to do that.  And sometimes mid-nap she wakes up but is not ready to be awake so I have to get her back to sleep again.  Do you give him a pacifier to go to bed with or is he able to completely self soothe now?
  • Options
    kvrunskvruns member
    @mrsmoose5 I try to put LO back to sleep by rocking. When it doesn't work, I put her back  in The crib anyway until she starts crying, not fussing. At that point I figure she is awake so I start her day. Then she ends up ready for a nap within an hour. I definitely agree that you don't want them to think that is the time to start the day. I read in the sleep lady shuffle book to try to leave them in their crib until their normal wake up time. When that time hits, go in their room, turn on the lights and make a big deal about it being morning. I can't say if this works or not because if I'm not able to get S back to sleep she normally starts crying within 15 mins of leaving her in the crib. 
    I always try to do that too 
  • Options
    I did cry it out. It was hard to listen to but totally worth it and not as bad as I thought it would be. But I was also at my wits end. He was taking NO naps and putting him down at night would take three hours. And then he'd be up for the day around 4:30 or 5. So I bit the bullet and started CIO at naps and bedtime at the same time and it took two days of crying for him to adjust. He slept 7:00-6:30 today and just woke up from a two hour nap. My life has completely changed!!

Edit it to answer your other question. The first night he cried for about an hour. I did the cry for 5 minutes, check and soothe, 10 minutes, check and soothe, 15 minutes, check and soothe, and then 15 minuets going forward. I never picked him up unless he needed changing and even then I didn't hold him after he was changed, just right back in the crib. 
    Jumping in here too... what about MOTN wakes. Do you feed at all? Or just CIO and figure he will adjust?
    Married: 08.05.11
    Welcomed baby girl: 06.10.14
    Second pregnancy EDD: 06.16.16 MC: 10.29.15
    Welcomed baby boy: 11.25.16
  • Options
    @Ladybug2821 He's never been big into pacifiers so I just stopped trying to give him one. If I do give him one I usually take it from him before he falls asleep. I did buy him a lovie, a little taggie blanket by Bright Starts that I leave in the crib with him. I feel comfortable doing that because every diaper change I put a cloth diaper on his face and he pulls it off (it's a game that keeps him still) so I know he can get it off him if he needs to in the middle of the night. Naps and bedtime have been about the same so far with naps being maybe a little harder just because it's daytime and I don't do our full bedtime ritual. 

@SandNStarsNJ He so far has only gotten up once at two in the morning since we started and for that wake up I did feed him but put him back down awake. I think if he wakes up after two hours being asleep I'll offer the bottle just in case but I will always put him back down awake. 
  • Options
    m6aguam6agua member
    @MrsMaryK2016 mine hates wet diapers too! Poop ones she is fine sitting in though.
    TTC#1 July 2015 
    • BFP: 9/16/15 — MC: 11/8/15 Blighted Ovum
    • BFP: 3/10/16 — Baby Girl born 11/20/16
    TTC#2 April 2019 
    • BFP: 9/12/19 — EDD 5/15/20

• Options
    m6agua said:
    @MrsMaryK2016 mine hates wet diapers too! Poop ones she is fine sitting in though.
    I swear to god if he has a wet diaper and he has to pee again he'll hold it until he's in a clean diaper. It makes me absolutely crazy. Some of you on here would faint if you saw how many diapers we go through in a day. 
  • Options
    kvrunskvruns member
    m6agua said:
    I swear to god if he has a wet diaper and he has to pee again he'll hold it until he's in a clean diaper. It makes me absolutely crazy. Some of you on here would faint if you saw how many diapers we go through in a day. 
    Yuck! It drives me crazy how many diapers he goes through at daycare but at least on the weekend it is usually About 5 - 6
  • Options
    @kvruns LOL we went through 5 diapers just between 6:30 and 11am yesterday. And before you ask, yes I've tried just letting him sit in it and distracting him for a while to postpone the change. It has never worked and it's not worth the tantrum. Everyone keeps saying how easy he'll be to potty train and that better be true!!
  • Options
    kvrunskvruns member
    @MrsMaryK2016 yikes hope you have found a way to get cheap diapers 
  • Options
    @MrsMaryK2016 ADORABLE!! I slept with a blanket over my face as an infant and because of it I often still do! 
  • Options
    kristah2 said:
    @MrsMaryK2016 ADORABLE!! I slept with a blanket over my face as an infant and because of it I often still do! 
    My DH and ILs all do this too!
  • Options
    @mrsmaryk2016 How long did M cry the first day for naps? Did you find that they were more difficult than at night?
  • Options
    @mrsmaryk2016 How long did M cry the first day for naps? Did you find that they were more difficult than at night?
    Funny you should ask. We're currently 35 minutes into a cry fest right now. Umm, morning naps are really easy usually and he cried maybe 5 minutes. But afternoon and midday naps are harder. I have no tips since I'm on the struggle bus today too. Good luck!
  • Options
    kvrunskvruns member
    Funny you should ask. We're currently 35 minutes into a cry fest right now. Umm, morning naps are really easy usually and he cried maybe 5 minutes. But afternoon and midday naps are harder. I have no tips since I'm on the struggle bus today too. Good luck!
    Mine has always struggled with afternoons too 
  • Options
    I mentioned before that A transitioned out of the magic Merlin last week (and by transitioned, I mean she rolled and we had to cold turkey her out of it), she was great the first 2 nights. She slept her usual 7:15-5 a.m. but the next 2 nights were a disaster. 
    She woke up 3 times, just screaming her head off. I could feel teeth coming through and she had a cold so I wrote it off as that. The third night, I just had enough so I did the two worst things you can do; when she woke up at 9, I nursed her back to sleep and when she woke up at 3, I took her into the guest bedroom and laid her in bed next to me. I slept terribly.
    Last night, I gave in and called the pediatrician who said I needed to stop before it turned into a reward for screaming at night. So we did a modified CIO last night. It took 45 minutes but she fell asleep and slept from 8-4. 
    We're doing it again tonight and it went down to 20 minutes. This is killing me.
  • Options
    kvrunskvruns member
    Good luck @RhodaMorgenstern I also started nursing to sleep in MOTN around the 4 month regression and now with him rolling over but getting stuck I still do it. There's just no calming him and I don't want to listen to him scream at 3am. More power to you sticking it out with CIO!
  • Options
    @RhodaMorgenstern It helped me to keep it in perspective. He wasn't wet, he wasn't hungry and he wasn't going to remember this one night in his long life. Right now she's just crying because she's confused. Normally when she cries you come get her and now you're not, that's confusing. Don't read your own feelings into it.

Also, when I feel like caving I remind myself that learning how to sleep on his own is an important life skill that is hard to learn but if I don't force him to learn it then that's unfair to him. 
  • Options
    @RhodaMorgenstern It helped me to keep it in perspective. He wasn't wet, he wasn't hungry and he wasn't going to remember this one night in his long life. Right now she's just crying because she's confused. Normally when she cries you come get her and now you're not, that's confusing. Don't read your own feelings into it.

Also, when I feel like caving I remind myself that learning how to sleep on his own is an important life skill that is hard to learn but if I don't force him to learn it then that's unfair to him. 
    So here's my question... how do you know LO isnt hungry? I'm still up twice a night for feedings and I can't tell if they're just habit because the boy eats aggressively ALL the time. In fact he will pick his head up and latch without my guidance at all if I'm too slow in the MOTN. 
  • Options
    @SandNStarsNJ I'm still up twice at night for feedings too. I do believe she is genuinely hungry because she sleeps great otherwise. I can put her down wide awake at bedtime and she will roll and talk and eventually put herself to sleep. Sometimes she wakes at night and does the same thing, rolls and talks, but eventually grabs her pacifier and puts herself back to sleep. If she cries out for me though I know she's hungry or something is going on (like a blowout the other night) and she takes a full feeding twice a night. I'm fine with it
  • Options
    @SandNStarsNJ I meant I know he's not hungry when I first put him down at night. Any middle of the night waking I still feed him and all the resources I've read say to do that at this age. Depending on when those feedings are you can either 1) try to consolidate them by delaying the feeding 5-10 minutes each night so he'll hopefully wake up later and later until the two feedings become one or 2) try to push the last one later so it coincides with his wake up feed by again holding him off longer and longer until he just wakes up when he's supposed to. I have only read about this though as M still mostly sleeps through the night and dropped his night feeds when we weaned. 
  • Options
    Thanks @mrsmarkyk2016 and @mrsmoose5 - I thought maybe I was missing something. ODD phased out MOTN feedings around 7/8 months on her own, so I'm hoping for the same outcome (or close to it) with this LO.
  • Options
    One hour. That's it. One hour at a time before he wakes SCREAMING. help. 
  • Options
    @kristah2 Have you sleep trained yet? Sounds like it's time. 
  • Options
    I'm sorry @kristah2 that sounds rough. Do you think it's teething?
  • Options
    @MrsMaryK2016 he's usually super good and sleeps from around 11-8 without wake ups. My goal now is to get him to bed and to stay down at 10 so I'm working backwards. 
    Always open to advice if anyone has it! 

@RhodaMorgenstern I think teething combo with the fact he got his 6 month needles yesterday. No fever but a super cranky boy! 

How do you all manage nights with barely any sleep then getting up and going to work the next day?!