November 2016 Moms
Options

All Things Sleep Training

Re: All Things Sleep Training

• Options
    A major tip that I would give anyone that is going to sleep train Is to make sure you are the only one putting LO down until they are fully trained unless you're SO is going to do the EXACT same routine. I unfortunately had to go back to work and H is with S during the weekday. The first 4 days of training went super well but when I went back to work it went to shit for me. I guess H came up with his own thing so when I did the routine I started with, S went to crying much longer. I had her down to 7 mins of crying for naps and now sometimes it takes 40. The only thing I can do is just go with it and hope she'll get it back down because I don't want to confuse her. H said for him she only cries for 20 mins but that is still longer than what she was doing before I went back to work. Of course I told H the routine and exactly what song to sing but he's stubborn and just thinks I'm overreacting and worrying for no reason. 
  • Options
    kvrunskvruns member
    Anyone have a good strategy for getting an overtired baby to sleep 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @kvruns - Skin to skin. That's what works for my LO when she is overtired and upset. Even if it is just her cheek against my chest while I'm in a tanktop, it helps. 
  • Options
    @Ladybug2821 - oh no! I'm sorry it didn't stick. How frustrating that he's so flippant about it. 
  • Options
    @lajoliedreamer It is super annoying but I could be wrong by blaming him. I've been reading up on it and apparently there is something called an extinction burst. Basically LO will start off doing pretty good for a few days but then start crying really bad in desperation to get you to come back. Luckily we have still been sticking with it. I seriously almost gave up because I thought I was doing something wrong even though I hadn't changed anything. 
  • Options
    @kvruns A warm bath, some light singing and a long nursing session.
    Married: 08.05.11
    Welcomed baby girl: 06.10.14
    Second pregnancy EDD: 06.16.16 MC: 10.29.15
    Welcomed baby boy: 11.25.16
  • Options
    @kvruns bouncing on an exercise ball, fast not slow, also car rides.
  • Options
    Please tell me someone else is still nursing LO to sleep. 
  • Options
    kvrunskvruns member
    Not initially but he's now waking up 3x and I do it each time bc nothing else will work 
  • Options
    kvrunskvruns member
    Anyone have good tips for MOTN? He used to sleep all night but he did it on his own. He will go down on his own usually but I can't get him back to sleep MOTN. I've let it slide bc it's been tied to things like learning new skills or now having the ear infection but it is getting worse and I am a zombie waking up so much

i let him fuss last night and he never stopped. The 5/10 min checks I used to use putting to bed have never worked MOTN
  • Options
    @SandNStarsNJ yup! He gets a diaper change and pjs on and then some boob and snuggles until He's asleep. By the time I get him I to his room he's usually waking up a bit but when I say him down he just rolls to where he's comfortable and goes back to sleep! 
  • Options
    jsmaijsmai member
    We are also feeding to sleep motn. @kvruns We've got the same motn issue. All aboard the zombie train.  H is out of town this week so I'm planning to try to sleep train a little. 
  • Options
    kvrunskvruns member
    jsmai said:
    We are also feeding to sleep motn. @kvruns We've got the same motn issue. All aboard the zombie train.  H is out of town this week so I'm planning to try to sleep train a little. 
    that is my plan Friday too because mine will be gone for a week. I'm just not sure what to do. All of my previous sleep training was more geared toward getting him to sleep/putting himself to sleep initially but it was back when he still needed to eat MOTN so one waking to eat was no big deal, and eventually he got himself to sleep through the night without me doing anything.

Not to mention he still gets stuck after rolling over, I think he would be less angry if he remembered how to flip back to his back. So do I go in, flip him over, and pat to try to sleep or just leave him on his belly (which he seems to like sleeping that way yet gets angry when he wakes). 
  • Options
    When E gets upset MOTN, she cries harder of I go in and pat her back. I always need to pick her up and soothe her back to sleep. The other night I had to pull out the blow dryer for the first time in a month, she was so worked up. I rarely feed her MOTN now, just use snuggles (with my cheek on her cheek or head), and the blow dryer if snuggles aren't working. I do feed her when neither of those things work. 
  • Options
    jsmaijsmai member
    @kvruns I leave S on her belly even though she's unhappy when she wakes. Although she's started flipping better this last week. I have no idea how I'm going to nightwean yet. Maybe if I Rock her back to sleep instead of feeding her she'll cut out that waking since she know she doesn't get milk.i dunno
  • Options
    When E gets upset MOTN, she cries harder of I go in and pat her back. I always need to pick her up and soothe her back to sleep. The other night I had to pull out the blow dryer for the first time in a month, she was so worked up. I rarely feed her MOTN now, just use snuggles (with my cheek on her cheek or head), and the blow dryer if snuggles aren't working. I do feed her when neither of those things work. 
    The blow dryer? Does the sound soothe her?
  • Options
    @jsmai I would suggest trying to rock back to sleep for MOTN wakings if you know she isn't hungry. I started doing that at 5 months and it worked quite a bit. The times it didn't I assumed she was actually hungry. 
  • Options
    @leighry - yes, the noise from the blow dryer soothes her. It's a tip I picked up from Happiest Baby on the Block. 
  • Options
    It's part of the routine here. 
    A massage and/or bath. 
    Clean diaper, sleeping back and a bottle with her holding her bunny.
    Half sleeping while drinking and putting down asleep, sometimes half awake. 
    She often gets a bottle before naps too (yet can also fall asleep without)

To get rid of the night time feeding @jsmai, you could try nursing shorter (or if bottle feeding decrease amount) 
    Itll take a few days, but after a while they should realise it isn't worth waking. Or so I've been told, I have yet to try it. As my LO attacks the bottle at night and could easily drink more I'm not cutting it. She doesn't drink enough during the day so she needs to catch on somewhere. She wakes, drinks, falls asleep. So those 15/20 min once a night I still manage.

**********************************************************************************************************************************

Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers

• Options
    ZoeFerZoeFer member
    Me!!! that s why i usually do not follow this thread :) I feel like (and a bit emberassed) I am the only mom who did not sleep train her kid
  • Options
    ZoeFer said:
    Me!!! that s why i usually do not follow this thread :) I feel like (and a bit emberassed) I am the only mom who did not sleep train her kid
    #stuckinabox

I don't sleeptrain, I follow my LO and how her day has been.
    I do try to stick to a routine (bath/massage, clean diaper, sleepingbag and bottle) but bath/massage sometimes don't happen.
    She either falls asleep, I rock her or she starts in my bed.
    Last few months she did so well, until it got extremely warm. Now I've had her start in my bed a little more often as my liking, but I understand she's uncomfortable. 

**********************************************************************************************************************************

• Options
    No sleep training here! I follow cues for now. Should he not begin to naturally drop feedings in the future, then I will consider it. 
  • Options
    We have not sleep trained here (at least not really). Sometimes we let him fuss awhile to give him a chance to fall asleep on his own, but otherwise I help when he needs it.
  • Options
    @lajoliedreamer interesting! We use a fan in his room for white noise at night but I will say if he is fussing during the day in his exescaucer or something I run the vacuum. He likes that! So kinda the same thing.
  • Options
  • Options

We haven't necessarily sleep training for MOTN yet.  We were just more concerned with teaching her to fall asleep on her own for bedtime and naps.  But that has also taught her to put herself to sleep MOTN which has lessened the wake ups.  One night she even STTN 6:45-6:30.  I'm ok with the 1-2 wakings for now.  If she is still waking at 9 months, I will probably have her CIO then.

• Options
    How many naps is everyone's LO taking? I'll be home for the summer now and he just started taking naps  in his crib ( thank goodness because he's too big for his rock n play!!). We've been doing up for the morning between 6-7, wuickstroller or cat nap for 20-30 min at like 9ish, usually 1-2 hour nap in crib at 11ish and then sleeping in crib by 7:15 usually. Should he be sleeping more? What do you ladies do for naps? 
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options
    Hahahaha @anne11716 I'd kill for those naps! During the week, A sleeps maybe an hour in the morning and a half hour in the afternoon (that's on a good day, today she slept for an hour and 10 minutes in the afternoon.) On the weekend, I nap with her in the morning for about an hour, we get a half hour stroller nap in the middle of the day and then around 3, I hold her to sleep for an hour. She goes to sleep between 7 and 7:30 every night. I just can't do sleep training for naps, even though we did it for bedtime and it worked.
  • Options
    My LO wakes around 7
    Nap from 10 to 12
    Nap from 2pm to 4pm
    Bed between 7-8pm
    Dreamfeed between 10-11pm
    Wakes at either 2-3 or 4am and sleeps right after feeding

Thats on a good day. 
    Some days we don't have naps at all or a 30 min stroller nap somewhere in between! It all depends on how much she wants to see/do and I don't force them.
    At home they are pretty easy, as I'm oldnews and boring. Once we are out or at daycare my LO has no time for naps!

Ive been told yesterday to put her to bed at 6-7pm and let her nap for an hour. Then to wake her, bathe her and give her a last bottle at 8-9pm...they reckon she'll then STTN.

• Options
    We get two naps usually. One around 10 that is anywhere from a half hour to 2 (occasionally 3 if he's really tired for some reason.) Afternoon he usually naps between about 3 and 5. If one nap of the day is longer, the other is often shorter. He usually goes to bed between 7 and 8, and he usually wakes up for a night feed between 3 and 5. Sometimes he wakes up to eat at midnight too, and is usually up for the day between 6 and 7. 
  • Options
    kvrunskvruns member
    On weekends his real nap times are about 9-10am and then try for one around 2pm. In between it is usually a car seat or stroller nap once in morning and once in afternoon. 
  • Options
    kvrunskvruns member
    So after a come
    to Jesus talk H decided to try to get LO back to sleep after I put him down (he was awake and started crying a ton). First time it didn't work but second time it did. LO didn't freak out on him like he does me so he was able to soothe in crib vs having to pick up. I planned to start some sleep training again this weekend since it lapsed and guess it started today. Though I need to hold to it MOTN at least one wake up 
  • Options
    The sleep schedule here is:
    wake: 6-6:30
    nap: 9ish (30 min - an hour)
    nap: 1ish (30 min - an hour)
    occasionally a 30 minute nap at 4ish
    bed: 7:15-7:45

And then there's MOTN wake and snacks - 11pm and 3 ish. 
  • Options
    wake: 6-6:30
    nap: 9ish (30 min - an hour)
    nap: 1ish (30 min - an hour)
    occasionally a 30 minute nap at 4ish
    bed: 7:15-7:45

And then there's MOTN wake and snacks - 11pm and 3 ish. 
    I feel like this was our nap schedule with my first and 2nd. My 3rd never had a dedicated morning nap due to me running errands or picking the oldest up from some class or activity she was in (so it was sleep broken up in to 10 minutes here.. 20 minutes there etc).. But she always had an afternoon nap from about 1p-4p.

This kid? Forget it. He doesn't have a dedicated time ever for naps. We are always on the go. He will sometimes fall asleep while nursing and if he does maybe he gets 15 minutes before I have to get up to do something. Otherwise the only naps he gets are car seat naps while I do all the shit I have to do during the day. Poor kid. Oh well. That's what being #4 is I guess. It might have been different if the other 3 were all in school before he was born. Such is life.
  • Options
    jsmaijsmai member
    Ours is a rough estimate.  It's based more on how long she's been up than clock time. 

wake: 5:30ish
    Nap: 7:30ish (30 min - an hour twenty)
    Nap: 11-12ish (30 min - an hour twenty)
    Nap: 3-4ish (30 min - an hour twenty)
    bed: 6:15-7:30

MOTN: trying to drop the 10-11ish feeding but keep the 3 ish one. I dream fed her last night at 8 after she went to bed at 6 and she slept until 3:45. Woohoo!
  • Options
    m6aguam6agua member
    Here is our sleep schedule, it varies day to day, also depending on who is watching her. H, me and my mom she does well with naps. With our babysitter she does not, mostly because she is on the go and/or at her house.

Wake: between 7-8
    Nap 1: ~10/11 (45 min-2 hr)
    Nap 2: ~2/3 (45 min-2 hr)
    Nap 3: this one is all over the place depending on Nap 2, she goes down some time between 4-6 and usually only naps for a bout 30-45 minutes
    Bedtime: 8
    MOTN: usually between 4-5, eats then goes back to sleep.

We just had her 6 month check up and we talked about naps and how we just follow her lead. The doctor said she may or may not drop one of the naps at some point soon and only do 2 naps.
    TTC#1 July 2015 
    • BFP: 9/16/15 — MC: 11/8/15 Blighted Ovum
    • BFP: 3/10/16 — Baby Girl born 11/20/16
    TTC#2 April 2019 
    • BFP: 9/12/19 — EDD 5/15/20

• Options
    Our schedule isn't perfect. 

wake: 715
    nap: 1030/11 (about 1.5-2.5 hrs)
    nap: 4/5 (about 30mins-2 hrs depending on first nap)
    bedtime: 10 (trying to get this back to 9)
    no wake ups. 
  • Options
    We've been sleep training for about 2 weeks now. S has done mostly well but has had a few times where she's been overtired and needed some help. But now she is standing in the crib and won't stop. We've tried just letting her cry and going back in and laying her down but neither works. Hope this phase passes quickly. 
  • Options
    kvrunskvruns member
    I'm trying to get him through this wake up with a pickup or nursing. Sucks bc I just want to go to sleep!!!!!  And my left side is leaking, haven't had that happen in forever