March 2017 Moms

Names!

Re: Names!

• @skyjewell23 I love that name Warren Jackson!
  • ShaunaT25 said:
    Thinking Isla Margaret for a girl and Clinton Thomas for a boy (mine and my fiancés grandfather's names) 
    I really like the way Clinton Thomas sounds together. Isle is not my style but I gotta say it also rolls nicely with Margaret...it sounds poetic. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • @peony2418 Peneolpe was the ONLY traditional name I loved because of the nicknames (Poppy, Pippa, Penny). Hubs hates it. :(

Me 26, Hubs 32
    Married 7.14.12
    DS 10.29.13
    BFP 06.20.16
    *It's a boy!*
    EDD 03.03.17
                                                          BabyFruit Ticker
  • @bokbagot thank you! 

Me 26, Hubs 32
    Married 7.14.12
    DS 10.29.13
    BFP 06.20.16
    *It's a boy!*
    EDD 03.03.17
                                                          BabyFruit Ticker
  • We've picked out Zakarry if we have a boy, and Evangelina if it's a girl. 

My Hubby's two older kids are Jakob & Amber.

• I love reading all these names! The first name of girl is definitely Sarah and for boy names we are looking at Owen or Isaac. we are Jewish so it's a little hard Bc all the names we like are used up in our family (we are the last ones to have kids)!
  • We have a Jack Robert. The Robert part is after my dad. 

Girl will be Josephine middle name TBD. I like Audrey after my mom but maybe that's weird? I'm struggling with alternatives. 

For boy we really like John (call him Johnny) but my brother's name is Jonathan (Jon) so I'm not sure if that's weird even though they have different last names. I like James but DH doesn't because he has an uncle James (same last name). Of course, we both like Daniel but I can't have a Jack and a Daniel. I'm struggling!
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • @ccook1211 I can't even imagine!! "Crazy with names" is about right! Part of me is jealous-cuz you can use all your favorites instead of narrowing it down, but it's obviously quite the task!
  • wintersongwintersong member
    edited August 2016
    We've picked out Zakarry if we have a boy, and Evangelina if it's a girl. 

My Hubby's two older kids are Jakob & Amber.

Why this spelling in particular, if you don't mind my asking?

ETA
    Maybe two names with such prominent k spellings (Jakob and Zakkary) would be k overload?
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @shae86 I love Felicity Jane!!! Felicity is one of our top 2 girl names, the other one being Thea. 

A boy will be Colton Edward. 
  • @FrancesGrace630 Isn't it lovely? I've lived my entire adult life in fear that someone I know will have a girl and use Felicity first. But so far, so good. 

@longliveregina George Bailey! That's the best. (I love It's A Wonderful Life.) 
    About me *TW*
    Me: 29, DH: 34
    TTC 12/2015
    BFP #1: 1/05/16, MMC 2/17/16 (10 wks)
    BFP #2: 7/13/16, EDD 3/21/16
  • @shae86 I love Felicity Jane!!! Felicity is one of our top 2 girl names, the other one being Thea. 

A boy will be Colton Edward. 
    Taking a shot in the dark here.... Does having Felicity and Thea on your list have anything to do with the Arrow? :) love both those names. (And that show) 
    Oliver and John are on our boy list. :) 
  • @julievdm12 We got our inspiration from Arrow, yes! 
  • @peony2418  We were thinking of Penelope too, with the nickname of Penny. I love Poppy, but one of our relatives got to it first. 

If we don't use Penelope, we're thinking of Luna. For a boy, Grant or William. 
  • @julievdm12 We got our inspiration from Arrow, yes! 
    *internet high five* 
    love that show!
  • @longliveregina It's Hubby's preference.
    Jakob (who is 18 and a U.S. Marine) is nn Jake... Zakarry would be Zak. I don't have any concerns about there being an overload on k's in our family since Jake is no longer in our home and is on his own. He's in the Marines until 24yo (minimum), so it's not like they'll be in school together or doing anything together, really. 
  • @dubcompanion for pronunciation purposes I would go with Aria spelling. It's a lovely name. I also don't watch Game of Thrones so maybe I would be more familiar with the Arya spelling if I did. 
  • OK guys, I need honest opinions. Both DH and I really like the name Arya.

Yes, we were inspired by Game of Thrones. But I'm cool with naming a daughter that and remembering Arya Stark!

Would it do well out in the real world? Is it too weird of a spelling? There is the spelling Aria, but neither of us are really feeling that version. Also, it makes me think of Ariana Grande, and then I feel stabby. Which makes no real sense, since Aria and Ariana are two different names, but the heart wants what it wants.

There are two other girl names we both approve of, so if Arya gets shot down, I won't cry over it. :wink: But it's just unique enough that I wanted to test it out, for funsies.
    Honestly? Seems trendy and like there may be many 1-5 year old Aryas running around. Also a cool as Arya is in fiction, in real life she'd be a pretty effed up little girl because of everything she went through! (Side note: I secretly hope Arya gives Lady Stoneheart the gift in the books. Because it would be so sad.) 

But it is pretty in terms of the sound of the word itself. Aria, I'm sure you kbow, is a song, so I locevtgat option too. 

When it comes down to it, if your willing to constantly endure questions about the name, then go for it. Its pretty. :) And feminist, if that's your thing. :) 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @dubcompanion I love the name Arya and I don't think anyone would have trouble pronouncing it! I'm weird about spelling so I would probably go with Aria if it was my kid, but Arya doesn't particularly bother me like some of the other "creative" spellings people are using now!
    Now if you went with Ayrya.... That would annoy me lol 

Me: 26 Hubs: 28

Married: 6/6/15 <3

Baby Girl: 3/22/2017

• @longliveregina Well... the boy names we've picked out are very traditional and while I'm not sure how popular they are right now, rest assured you know probably at least 20 of each. So I'm fine if there are other Arya's out there. Arguably, that would make it easier to pronounce for those not familiar with GoT. :) But you are right, Aria is a song, and the word itself is really pretty! I am not sharing my last name on here, but they roll off the tongue together incredibly well! (Although what doesn't roll off the tongue well with a French surname? No need to answer that - rhetorical question, lol.) I really liked your insights!

@mcdonald-bailey Thanks! I appreciate your honesty. :)

@SienaC I don't usually like y in names that typically use i - probably because it's been overused and abused a lot, so I'm surprised that I prefer Arya to Aria!

Again, I really appreciate all y'all's feedback. I also think I needed to realize my whole Ariana Grande thing is silly and that Aria is just fine as a spelling!
  • @longliveregina It's Hubby's preference.
    Jakob (who is 18 and a U.S. Marine) is nn Jake... Zakarry would be Zak. I don't have any concerns about there being an overload on k's in our family since Jake is no longer in our home and is on his own. He's in the Marines until 24yo (minimum), so it's not like they'll be in school together or doing anything together, really. 
    Your husband sounds like the opposite of mine, lol. He shot down Rose as being to crazy (his exact words were, "a little showy, isn't it?"). 

Some considerations (you probably already thought of most or all of these, just throwing it out there): 
    1. People will be forever commenting on your son's name spelling. Ad nauseam. 
    2. People will constantly spell his name wrong.
    3. People will mispronounce his name or obnoxiously pretend they not know how to say it. (Fwiw it does seem pretty obviously the same as "Zachary" to me, by people can be dumb) 

Those things would seriously irritate me! If you think they'd irritate you, too, a similar z/k name that is more "common" is Zeke (often short for Ezekiel). 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @triwellnessgirl I am on the same page a @longliveregina with the spelling. Although I think for me the 2 R's are throwing me off more than the K is. I could see Zakary more so than Zakarry, which I pronounced in my head Za-CAR-ree when I first saw it.
    My name is a common name spelled the Irish way not the American way and it is a pain to either have to always spell it out for someone or just deal with it being misspelled, which is soo annoying plus even spelling it out they still misspell it most of the time. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @longliveregina LOL... All the things you asked me to consider are all the things I've dealt with my whole life. I have a very unique name & got used to it all by the time I was in the 3rd grade. I stopped caring at a very young age about what other people think or say or the different variations of pronunciation and spellings of my name. In fact, I love my name and am thankful I've only met 2 other people in my life who share my name. But thanks for the forewarning!
    I do like Zakarias for a boy as well... So far Hubby prefers Zakarry though. We'll see what happens! 
  • @dubcompanion Arya was my top name for so long,  but alas I live in a tiny community and it was used.  She spelt it Ariea however and was inspired by pretty little liars. 

I guess it would depend on how you wouldn't pronounce it. Are-ya like game of thrones or Ar-ee-a. 
  • If we have a girl, I think we are going to name her Sarah. I would love her middle name to be Dorothy after my grandmother, but we will see about that.

If we have a boy, we haven't decided on a name. DH was doing family history a while ago and came across a Rhinehart and decided that is what we would name our son. I am vetoing this as hard as I can. Poor kid.
  • We are thinking Liam for a boy. William is a family name, but we like the name Liam. So question for all of you, (I know Liam is actually a nn of Uilliam but humor me because it works for William as well) do we name the kid William and then tell everyone the nickname we want? That way the kid has the potential to change his nn if he doesn't want to go by Liam when he is older. Or just name the kid Liam because that's what we would call him anyways? 

I'm imagining the birth announcments to read: Welcome William "Liam" middle name last name  

Maybe this baby will be a girl and then I don't have to worry about using the name William. 
  • @CanadianintheSouth I think either option is perfectly acceptable. Liam stands alone as a great first name, and if he goes his whole childhood as Liam, chances are, he'll never go by William later in life. But if you want his legal name to be William in order to honor family members, that's understandable too. 

DH comes from a long line of Williams (all known as Bills or Billys) and we discussed the possibility of continuing it. If we had chosen to do that, we would've called him Liam and did exactly what you mentioned on the birth announcement. 
    About me *TW*
    Me: 29, DH: 34
    TTC 12/2015
    BFP #1: 1/05/16, MMC 2/17/16 (10 wks)
    BFP #2: 7/13/16, EDD 3/21/16
  • @dubcompanion I think it's a pretty name, and I would automatically think of Game of Thrones. You could definitely chose a worse namesake though. I wanted to point out that the pronunciation of Aria and Arya is slightly different.

Me 28 DH 28 Married 2012

TTC #1 since March 2015

Metformin + Femara + Gonal F + Trigger = BFP 6/24/16 

EDD 3/3/17

Found out it's a girl! 9/23/16

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @shae86 thanks for the input! You're probably right that they wouldn't change their name, but you brought up a good point and I do think it would mean so much more to my grandfather if the legal name is William.

@Peony81 I met someone who has a son named Liam, and later she said his name was William. It was an ah-ha moment for me because I never put 2 and 2 together, and I realized it was perfect!
  • @CanadianintheSouth I really love the name Liam, and it was on my list at one point. DH didn't like it though. :( I think it stands alone well, and it's also fine as a NN for William. Ultimately, it depends on how important it is to use the family name William, since that seems to be your main reason to use that name at all.

@ShaunaT25 @kap1988 Thank you for pointing out that there are two different pronunciations! That actually really helps; I'll run them by DH, and it might be the pronunciation he prefers that determines the spelling. Personally, I'm fine with either, so I'll let him decide. :) And like I said in the initial post, we do have two other girl names in the running, so we could just end up naming a future puppy of ours Arya Stark. ;) No, wait. We should name the puppy Nymeria. ::heads off to a completely different type of name thread::

• loveyoga7loveyoga7 member
    edited August 2016
    We are thinking Liam for a boy. William is a family name, but we like the name Liam. So question for all of you, (I know Liam is actually a nn of Uilliam but humor me because it works for William as well) do we name the kid William and then tell everyone the nickname we want? That way the kid has the potential to change his nn if he doesn't want to go by Liam when he is older. Or just name the kid Liam because that's what we would call him anyways? 

I'm imagining the birth announcments to read: Welcome William "Liam" middle name last name  

Maybe this baby will be a girl and then I don't have to worry about using the name William. 
    I say do what works for you. My old boss' name was William William Williams. He liked to share his full name. 
  • @Skyjewell23 going off the other post you had, I once met a little girl named Chandler. I had never thought of that as a name for a girl, but she was the cutest and it just such a perfect name for her!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Bluebird2318Bluebird2318 member
    edited August 2016
    @dubcompanion I actually like the name Arya (and Aria, though like PP said, they have slightly different pronunciations). I have never read or watched Game of Thrones, but given that I have a son named Dorian, you can imagine how few you-know-whats I give about fictional associations. Of course there are some that would be too "out there" even for me, but Arya doesn't strike me as one of them. The drawback is that I do think you'd have to be prepared to deal with commentary from people who do make the GoT connection. Not necessarily negative commentary; just ask yourself if you'd get sick of hearing "Oh, like GoT?" a hundred times. 

ETA: One other drawback might be that Arya is one letter short of Aryan which could still have negative connotations (thinking of those neo-Nazi parents who named their daughter Aryan Nation, yikes). That is something of a stretch, but it still occurs to me when I look at the name spelled out (luckily it's phonetically different).
    March 2017 September Siggy Challenge: Favorite Fall Things

Pregnancy Ticker
  • wintersongwintersong member
    edited August 2016
    @peony2418 George and LaRue are family names, and Bailey is a surname from my maternal roots. I just love Alice. :)

I'm pretty sure LaRue just means the street or the way or something like thar, lol.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @peony2418 I wasn't planning on putting an accent on the e in Chloe - I don't think it's needed.
    Anniversary

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

MMC 8/11/15

imageimageimage