February 2017 Moms
Options

Baby Gear - Questions/Opinions/Suggestions

Re: Baby Gear - Questions/Opinions/Suggestions

• Options
    Man we played with it more and I'm just torn on the kiinde system. The nipple totally sucks and that the measuring isn't accurate and you can't fit as many in the freezer. But it is so nice to not have to deal with bottles. 
    Have you ever tried out the Playtex nursers with the drop ins? I haven't tried them but a friend of mine loved the convienence and Target had cheap liners that worked too. She used those Milkie trays and then defrosted them in a liner. 

Sonot the same, but it does ease on the bottle cleaning for the most part.
  • Options
    The Kiinde system is on Zulily today if people  are still interested! 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    We're looking at getting the Chicco Bravo travel system and noticed that many of the colors are slowly being eliminated. My guess is that means that they have new colors coming out soon but when I emailed them they wouldn't give me any information. Does anyone know when they come out with new stuff (maybe from previous years/experience)?
    Married: 12/2015
    Me: 37 - H: 39
    TTC#1: 01/2016
    BFP: 06/18/2016 - EDD: 02/20/2017 - Born: 01/27/2017

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I tried the Playtex drop-ins but my kids wouldn't take them.  The adapters for other nipples is part of the big appeal for the Kiinde system to me.  I've watched some youtube videos on how to get more accurate measurements when using the bags, so I'm not too worried about it right now, but I reserve the right to change my mind about them once I actually use them.  That's also why I don't recommend buying a ton of any bottle before baby is born because you just don't know if it will work out for both of you until you try.

There's also some variation in standard bottle markings too.  I remember being so mad when I was transferring milk a few times because by the Medela markings I had exactly the number of oz I needed, but by the Tommee Tippees I needed something like a full oz more.

• Options
    Saw this on Shark Tank on Friday: https://milksnob.com/

It's an infant car seat cover, a breastfeeding cover, and can be used in a shopping cart. Made of rayon and breathable. 
  • Options
    Question for those with the Amazon registry. After something was bought off the registry how long did you have to wait to get their free sample package? We're likely moving in the next month so our address will change and we don't want to loose anything! 
    Me: 33 | DH: 34
    Married: October, 19, 2015
    EDD 2/22/17 <3 DS1 born on 3/2/17
    EDD 3/8/20 <3 DS2 born on 3/10/20
    EDD 11/24/23
    (Formerly Marriedhamstermom Feb ‘17)

• Options
    @marriedhamstermom I read that you have to add it to your cart and checkout. That it doesn't just get sent 
    . Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    What's the best crib mattress? There are so many to choose from, and don't know what's best for a baby. 

• Options
    What's the best crib mattress? There are so many to choose from, and don't know what's best for a baby. 
    I had a Kolcraft brand from Walmart. Personally if you ask me it was perfectly fine. My son slept on it every night until he was 2 and if doesn't even look like he wore it down any. I am getting a new one for this baby and registered for a Serta only because I registered at Target and that's the brand they sell. 
  • Options
    I did a quick search and nothing turned up, but does anyone have any experience with the GB brand for strollers/infant seats? We have the GB Qbit stroller, have registered for the GB X1 Urban Runner, and after a lot of debate of whether or not to get an infant carrier or go straight to a convertible carseat- we're looking to buy the GB Asana 35 DLX since it clips into both those strollers. I've read way too many reviews and researched the models obsessively but I'd love any firsthand experiences that anyone may have
  • Options
    Have any STM used the Lansinoh Smart Double Electric Pump or the older version? I believe it was just the Lansinoh Double Electric. I just ordered this one through my insurance and feel confident that it will do the job, but wanted to see if anyone had any personal experience. I had an Ameda Purely Yours with my son and wanted do to try something different this time. 
  • Options
    I'm looking for a diaper bag that's not so diaper bagish.  Does anyone have experience with Lily Jade bags? Are they worth the money? I really love them but don't know if I can justify the price. Part of me thinks it would be better to just get a cute tote I like and add an organizer to it but I also like that the Lily Jade bags can be worn as a tote, cross body, or backpack. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @SawyerRichardson that bag is so cute!!

But what will your SO use for a diaper bag? I'm sorry,  I can't remember if your SO is a man or woman.  

• Options
    @CurlyCupcake21 I got a ju-ju-be bag. It converts to a backpack, which I love :) 
  • Options
    I had a PPB boxy backpack and don't love it. 
    This time around I bought a fancy backpack to use 
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    @AfKash  My husband works for Porsche so he bought a Porsche backpack he is going to use if I'm not around. It will probably be a pain transferring everything from one bag to another, but I'm not too worried about it at this point.
  • Options
    @SawyerRichardson I was looking at some Kate Spade totes. Maybe I'll see if they have a a Black Friday or cyber Monday deal. 

@srscott3 which ju ju be bag do you have?

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @CurlyCupcake21
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00V852CPM/ref=mp_s_a_1_3_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1479735871&sr=8-3&keywords=ju+ju+be&pi=SX200_QL40
    I'm not big on prints, so it's just the solid black one, but there are lots of other colors/patterns to choose from :)
  • Options
    @CurlyCupcake21 I have a Lily Jade!  I have the Elizabeth in Brandy and I adore it!  I currently have 2 kids that are 4.5 and 3 so I don't carry much around for them anymore, but it's so pretty I didn't want to wait to use it so I've just been using it as a purse/workbag combo and it is fantastic.  

The leather is so soft, especially after I conditioned it this weekend, and I have used the multi-functions (i.e. backpack, cross body, over the shoulder) much more than I thought it would.  I haven't even been using the insert with it (but plan to when this baby comes) and it has so many pockets/pouches, I'm not even using them all.

I tried a few different bags with my other kids (a Skip hop purse style, a couple of 31 organizer totes, and a regular tote), and though I was excited about each and really like them at first, after a few days of using them they all had significant downfalls and just weren't very practical or easy to access everything which is why I kept switching them out.  With this baby, I decided it was worth it to spend more on my bag if it were going to be something that I would (not just could, but legitimately would actually) continue carrying after the diaper bag stage.  Also, the purse it replaced was a 7 year old Dooney, so I have a confirmed history of sticking with one bag when I love it.  

Even still, I stalked used sites and the B/S/T Lily Jade FB group trying to find a good deal, because it's still a whole lot of money.  I found that unless they have significant amounts of wear and tear on them, they aren't much cheaper used than they are new, but I did luck out because they just redesigned the inserts and made some changes to several of the bags, including adding new colors and changing the lining color and to make room for the new shipment they marked the bags down a lot. I ended up getting mine new, directly from Lily Jade for a lot less than they're selling used for.  My understanding is that they don't put them on sell often, but right now, they have their Black Friday sale going on so they're 10% off.  I also highly recommend the B/S/T group because several people have been selling theirs so that they can buy the newer versions.

So far, my only semi-regret, is that I would have preferred the charcoal with jade lining, but for the price, I probably would have still chosen the one I have.

• Options
    @CurlyCupcake21 I just got a lily jade. It was a splurge for sure, but I love good leather and it is super nice. Once you are done using it as a diaper bag you can pull the insert out and it's just a nice leather purse. 
  • Options
    @srscott3 that's the one I was looking at!  I'm not big on prints either so I'd probably just get solid black.

@silvercamaro77 I've been eyeing the Madeline in brandy since you can use the 10% off for it right now.  But looking at the Elizabeth I really like that one too in camel.  I'm so glad to hear you like it because there are lots of blogger reviews out there but it looks like they were given the bag so it can be hard to tell if it's really as good as they say.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @CurlyCupcake21 That was the same experience I had when trying to decide if it was worth it and it was really frustrating.  I was part of the regular Lily Jade FB group and their B/S/T group for probably 2-3 months before  I bought and it helped even things out a bit for me.  Pretty much everyone on those groups love their Lily Jades and several people have multiples (which I just can't justify for myself), but there are usually some questions out there about whether this kind of wear or that kind of stitching is normal, etc.  There are some LJ employees that are part of the groups too, and their customer service seems to be pretty amazing.  If they see something that looks like a defect they seem to be quick to respond and to get the bag replaced.

Also, some people that just end up not loving them as much as they'd hoped.  Those complaints tend to stem from the leather bags being too heavy when fully packed or the pockets/insert not being a magic pill for staying organized (because you actually have to put things back in them to keep it neat :) ). The groups are also really good for getting feedback on which bag would most likely suit your needs based on your specifics and seeing how other people have packed them.

• Options
    @silvercamaro77 thanks, I just requested to join the b/s/t group.  It would be great to get some feedback there too.  I did hear that it was a bit heavy when full but I'm not too concerned about that since I tend to pack a heavy bag for work anyway so I'm used to that.  :)
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Wtf do you keep in a diaper bag that you would have to switch stuff out?  H just had a backpack in his car with diapers, wipes, dog poop bags, a spare change of clothes and a bib. 
  • Options
    Wtf do you keep in a diaper bag that you would have to switch stuff out?  H just had a backpack in his car with diapers, wipes, dog poop bags, a spare change of clothes and a bib. 
    Seriously! I never even had a diaper bag! Well, someone got me one but I didn't use it. I just threw diapers, wipes, and a spare outfit in my regular bag. As she got a little older even the spare clothes stayed in the car.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    I have no idea? That's just what my mom brought up when I showed her so I thought maybe that was a thing?
  • Options
    @SawyerRichardson I was kind of thinking the same thing as PP...DH will have his own manly "kid essentials" bag for when I'm not around. I was just planning on packing a whole second bag so there wasn't really anything to switch. Maybe grabbing favorite blankets/toys as he's on his way out the door, but the essentials will already be in there. 

For a bag that doesn't look very diaper bag like, I got the Skip Hop Downtown Chelsea chic bag ($100). I am SO in love with it! I am not a bag person, but it's a great organized tote-looking bag. I bought it in black so that it looks like a regular oversized tote. 
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    I had a Kalencom bag with my first and it was actually a great diaper bag. For this one I have registered for a Petunia Pickle Bottom Boxy Bookbag. I like the idea of being able to carry like a bookbag or a shoulder bag. Another big thing for me was the changing pad attached to the front. It was always awkward trying to figure out where you would put the bag on a changing table so you could access your stuff and have room for baby on the table.

My DH will carry whatever bag I give him. I asked his opinion on a pattern/color and he said he didn't care he would carry the pink bag. So one bag is all we will have. 
  • Options
    I had a Kalencom bag with my first and it was actually a great diaper bag. For this one I have registered for a Petunia Pickle Bottom Boxy Bookbag. I like the idea of being able to carry like a bookbag or a shoulder bag. Another big thing for me was the changing pad attached to the front. It was always awkward trying to figure out where you would put the bag on a changing table so you could access your stuff and have room for baby on the table.

My DH will carry whatever bag I give him. I asked his opinion on a pattern/color and he said he didn't care he would carry the pink bag. So one bag is all we will have. 
    That's how it is for us too. The bag I picked is grey, white, and green but it does look pretty feminine. DH is so funny he can be the manliest guy in terms of his hobbies and interests but he has no problem carrying my girly bags if I ask him to. He'll usually make a joke about it but he honestly doesn't care. I don't see there being many times when it's just him and the baby going somewhere tbh but I'm sure it'll happen some.
    Me: 33 | DH: 34
    Married: October, 19, 2015
    EDD 2/22/17 <3 DS1 born on 3/2/17
    EDD 3/8/20 <3 DS2 born on 3/10/20
    EDD 11/24/23
    (Formerly Marriedhamstermom Feb ‘17)

• Options
    edited November 2016
    @marriedhamstermom DH won't even wear pink, but when it comes to stuff like that he has no shame. He is so funny, but I guess it's for his children so that's all that matters. He carried my purse around a baby expo we went to a few months back and a bunch of men made comments and he just laughed. I agree though that the chances of him taking baby by himself are slim so bag color doesn't matter. He may take our son and if that's the case he can carry the Ninja Turtle book bag. 
  • Options
    We ended up ordering the Skip Hop Signature. It does look a bit like a diaper bag, but I don't think it's too bad. I've seen ones that are way more obvious. I don't think H will have a problem carrying it around. 

• Options
    We'll only have one bag. If husband takes baby he'll just use the same bag as me. Personally I never understood having two bags but that's just because it's not like it was a super regular occurrence for them to be out without me. I'm still trying to decide what I want, but I'll probably get this skip hop diaper bag I found online. 
    . Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I didn't even think of my husband, is that bad?! I just got what I wanted. I figure he can use it or just grab what he needs! 
  • Options
    I was looking around on Craigslist for a few things and just found a Skip Hop diaper bag for $30. Not bad and it looks like it's in excellent condition. I'd probably go for it, but my cousin already gave me hers that she doesn't need anymore. 
  • Options
    I just found a Kalencom for only $8! I know a lot of people don't like Craigslist, but I'm finding a lot of good stuff on here. 
  • Options
    Jab3 said:
    I just found a Kalencom for only $8! I know a lot of people don't like Craigslist, but I'm finding a lot of good stuff on here. 
    I bought my Kalencom on Zulily for $25 and now I'm trying to sell it for $15 and I can't give it away. I guess people just don't how good of a deal I'm trying to give them. 
  • Options
    What does everyone think about a tummy time pillow thing? I registered for the Fisher Price activity gym but there is no pillow to prop her up on her belly. Would you bother with adding a pillow too or do babies not really use those? 

For what it's worth, they are like $15 on Amazon
  • Options
    @leslie1331, I didn't use a pillow to prop the babies for tummy time. I just put either a mat down on the floor or a blanket. Even a towel would work.