February 2017 Moms

Baby Gear - Questions/Opinions/Suggestions

Re: Baby Gear - Questions/Opinions/Suggestions

• Has anyone come across the Fisher Price 6 piece healthcare kit in store? We got one at our shower and I want to return it but I'm only seeing it on Ebay or Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Fisher-Price-6pc-Healthcare-Travel-Case/dp/B007BQLYPG

Me: 24  DH: 28

Married: 9/2013

Love my LEO!!

TTC #1: 9/2015

BFP: 2/1/16  MC 2/8/16 @ 5wks

BFP: 5/22/16 RAINBOW BABY

EDD: 1/30/2017 *IT'S A GIRL!!!!* 

Kirsten Grace 1/20/17                            

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • So I measured everything and ordered the bellefit corset pe their sizing thing and I can't even close it haha maybe I'm still too swollen. 
  • Loading the player...
  • srscott3srscott3 member
    edited January 2017
    I just ordered mine @PerraSucia here's to hoping it fits

What size and kind did you get?
  • @srscott3 just the corset one without a zipper. I got two expecting to size down  :|
  • @PerraSucia
    shit. i got the same bundle. i got an xl and l based on my measurements
  • @srscott3 my feet are still too swollen to wear shoes so maybe that's why it's off? I'm already on the tightest Velcro abiity from the one the hospital gives you!

i got a l/m and the crotch extender hah
  • @PerraSucia
    I'll keep that in mind when trying on mine for the first time. my swelling has been pretty bad during pregnancy. 
    Totally looking forward to being sausages though :heart:
  • So random question about a pack n play. I got one with the newborn napper. Is that what baby sleeps in? Or is she supposed to just hang out in that and sleep on the larger flat surface for sleeping? I assumed the napper was for a newborn to sleep in but then heard from a friend they shouldn't really sleep in that.  Not sure if this is true or just an overreaction.....
  • So random question about a pack n play. I got one with the newborn napper. Is that what baby sleeps in? Or is she supposed to just hang out in that and sleep on the larger flat surface for sleeping? I assumed the napper was for a newborn to sleep in but then heard from a friend they shouldn't really sleep in that.  Not sure if this is true or just an overreaction.....
    The Facebook group I'm in for evidence based safe sleep says the napper part of the PnP isn't safe. If there is a bassinet attachment it's fine but they shouldn't sleep in the napper. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
    The Facebook group I'm in for evidence based safe sleep says the napper part of the PnP isn't safe. If there is a bassinet attachment it's fine but they shouldn't sleep in the napper. 
    Why isn't it safe? Asking bc I have the napper too. Is it safe for baby to sleep on the larger flat surface?
  • I think the napper part is best used for changing baby and they sleep on the flat surface part.  Mine were usually swaddled in the beginning so they weren't rolling around, it just seemed like a much better spot to put them. 

We just actually got a new one,  so I know some have a little bassinet that comes out, but I decided we didn't need that anyway.  The ones I am thinking of just have that smaller part that hangs above the mattress. 
    Married - 7/29/06
    Ben and Maggie - 4/10/09 
    Mia - 6/16/11
    Surprise! due 2/23/17

BabyFruit Ticker
  • feelingjovanifeelingjovani member
    edited January 2017
    So random question about a pack n play. I got one with the newborn napper. Is that what baby sleeps in? Or is she supposed to just hang out in that and sleep on the larger flat surface for sleeping? I assumed the napper was for a newborn to sleep in but then heard from a friend they shouldn't really sleep in that.  Not sure if this is true or just an overreaction.....
    Why isn't it safe? Asking bc I have the napper too. Is it safe for baby to sleep on the larger flat surface?
    Apparently the napper isn't regulated and it's too plush so it's a suffocation hazard. It's fine to put them in the main part of the PnP for sleep though. 
    Pregnancy Ticker

the larger flat surface im pretty sure is an approved safe spot for baby. Most of us who will use the PNP in our rooms are using the larger flat part and not the napper. I read something somewhere that the napper can be used for supervised naps, so in other words it should be treated like a swing or the car seat. Not a place you would want to leave the baby asleep for unattended or unsupervised. 
  • Well that's lame, I would have just gone without the napper and saved some money!!  I haven't actually opened the box yet, so I have no idea how
    plush it is. At least the changer will get some use, I hope  :) thanks ladies!! 
  • I'm in the same group as @CurlyCupcake21 on FB, and when I learned that the napper wasn't regulated/safe, I changed my registry from the PnP with the napper to the one without it. That group has been extremely eye opening and I have learned so much about all the gear that people use to have their babies sleep in that are just not safe at all. 
    Married: 12/2015
    Me: 37 - H: 39
    TTC#1: 01/2016
    BFP: 06/18/2016 - EDD: 02/20/2017 - Born: 01/27/2017

• lemieuxklemieuxk member
    edited January 2017
    I literally pulled my babe out of the napper in the middle of the night last night after some googling of this exact topic. The "bassinet attachment" actually refers to an insert that looks like the bottom of the pack and play but sits much higher for easy access to baby. This is confusing because it in no way resembles a bassinet while the napper looks exactly like a bassinet. My H set it up or I probably would have noticed. He's an engineer and seems to believe instruction manuals are for suckers.
  • lemieuxk said:
    I literally pulled my babe out of the napper in the middle of the night last night after some googling of this exact topic. The "bassinet attachment" actually refers to an insert that looks like the bottom of the pack and play but sits much higher for easy access to baby. This is confusing because it in no way resembles a bassinet while the napper looks exactly like a bassinet. My H set it up or I probably would have noticed. He's an engineer and seems to believe instruction manuals are for suckers.
    If it's labeled as a bassinet, you should be fine as that term is heavily regulated. If it's the napper, then it isn't and therefore isn't safe for sleep. 
    Married: 12/2015
    Me: 37 - H: 39
    TTC#1: 01/2016
    BFP: 06/18/2016 - EDD: 02/20/2017 - Born: 01/27/2017

• @lemieuxk you're referring to the netting that you install at the top of the PNP so you can raise the part they would be laying on right? That's how you want to put her to sleep. 
  • Oh wow thanks for sharing, my plan was to use the napper so now we won't. Question then for those of you who are using the flat part of the pack n play, did you buy a mattress for it? It doesn't look like it's the most comfortable which is why I had originally thought the napper was a great idea...
    Me: 33 | DH: 34
    Married: October, 19, 2015
    EDD 2/22/17 <3 DS1 born on 3/2/17
    EDD 3/8/20 <3 DS2 born on 3/10/20
    EDD 11/24/23
    (Formerly Marriedhamstermom Feb ‘17)

• Oh wow thanks for sharing, my plan was to use the napper so now we won't. Question then for those of you who are using the flat part of the pack n play, did you buy a mattress for it? It doesn't look like it's the most comfortable which is why I had originally thought the napper was a great idea...
    I'm not buying a matter for it. I actually don't think you're supposed to add anything to it that wasn't sold with it (except for a PnP sheet). You want a firm surface for baby to sleep on so it should be fine. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • So is there any time you WOULD want to use the napper? Based on the conversation it sounds pretty pointless?
  • @homemake yes, exactly. I felt like an idiot for assuming the napper was the bassinet but I questioned it because it was so soft/plush.

@lfrank12 I think it's marketed as kind of an alternative to a bouncer/swing. Mine vibrates and has all kinds of movement settings but baby would need to be supervised. We have a swing so I don't see us using the napper at all.
  • @lfrank12 my friend who told me this in the first place has hers up in her room. So she uses it to lay the baby if she's in the shower or folding laundry. She also has the reversible one with the changer and they do use that at night. Basically she had planned to bring the rock n play up when she did those things and uses that instead. So not a complete waste
  • I have the one with the napper but, like others, was going to use it for baby to sleep. I did some midnight googling last night. I won't be buying the PNP mattress, apparently firm surfaces are better at first and you don't want the baby too used to soft surfaces.

Thanks again @CurlyCupcake21 for sharing! I totally planned on using the napper for baby to sleep!
  • Sure @Gretchypoo! I've learned a lot about safe sleep...things that never would have occurred to me!  I also have a PnP with the napper which I thought was the bassinet portion and was planning on using it for overnight sleep and only recently found out it's not safe.  But since the napper has music and vibrations I'll probably end up using it like a soother (like a swing or bouncer) during day hours.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I also have the PnP with a reversible napped and changer. I had intended to use the napper for sleep for the first few weeks/months.i knew about the weight limit and when he reached it I planned on stopping the use of the napper and use the bassinet. I didn't know I shouldn't use the napper for sleeping. It makes sense, though. I will have him sleep in the bassinet portion now. Thanks for the information.
  • @PerraSucia Well that's bs. I would be the type to add in "in exchange for this review, I now get to make a simple exchange in sizing", but not sure that would help you in this case :tongue:
  • @srscott3 I'm going to wait until I get it and edit my review. 
  • Can anyone help me with a brand name of a shower cap kind of car seat cover?   I can't find them in the stores.   Its a Chicco car seat if that matters. 
    Married - 7/29/06
    Ben and Maggie - 4/10/09 
    Mia - 6/16/11
    Surprise! due 2/23/17

BabyFruit Ticker
  • @Partyof6? We have a chicco key fit 30 and the JJ Cole cover :)
  • leslie1331leslie1331 member
    edited January 2017
    Partyof6? said:
    Can anyone help me with a brand name of a shower cap kind of car seat cover?   I can't find them in the stores.   Its a Chicco car seat if that matters. 
    I have a Graco but I got the Skip Hop one. Super cute and good quality! I can't imagine it wouldn't fit a Chicco
  • Anyone have a good convertible car seat they would recommend? We are looking to buy one as the car seat option for my husband's car, so I need one that works from infant stage and on
  • lfrank12 said:
    Anyone have a good convertible car seat they would recommend? We are looking to buy one as the car seat option for my husband's car, so I need one that works from infant stage and on
    We got the Graco Contender 65, three of my friends all recommended it. And, it's like $140 bucks!! They all used it like you are, as the second car seat. The ones with little ones like it. My other friend with a 3 yr old also bought and really likes it. Mine is still sitting in the box, so no personal opinions. But reviews were also good! 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00PTL2BE8/ref=mp_s_a_1_1_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1485729390&sr=8-1&keywords=graco+contender+65
  • We have the Chicco Nextfit zip for my daughter. It is not cheap. But it is easy to install, great for extended rear facing (my 90th percentile kid is still rear facing at 3), and I love being able to zip out the cover and throw it in the washing machine for the inevitable crumbs/mud/potty accidents.
  • We have the Diono Radian. 
  • We super love the nextfit zip too. 

Also we HATE the maxi cosi 70
  • Did anyone get the Halo Sleepsacks in fleece? We got a few and I am wondering if this will overheat the baby too much? It's cold outside here, but I have a newer house (so not drafty) that we keep at 70. The PNP she will be sleeping in is also not by a window or anything either. Overheating and SIDS is my worry this week!!
  • @leslie1331 I got a few of them which I think I will use, but with less layers underneath, like maybe just a onesie and socks vs. a full sleeper. As long as you feel their neck/back isn't too warm when they have it on then you should be ok. I joined a safe sleep group on Facebook and have been learning a lot there about SIDS prevention!