February 2017 Moms

Baby Gear - Questions/Opinions/Suggestions

Re: Baby Gear - Questions/Opinions/Suggestions

• I finally got around to calling my insurance company about pump coverage and got a script from my OB.  I was looking on the medical supply store website and I know I want a Madela pump but don't know which set to get.

This one is covered by my insurance: https://cambridgemedsupply.com/product-info/breastpumps/medela-breastpumps/pump-in-style-advanced-breastpump-starter-set#what-s-included

I can also upgrade to this one which includes a carrying case, cooler bag, more storage containers: https://http//cambridgemedsupply.com/product-info/breastpumps/medela-breastpumps/pump-in-style-advanced-breastpump-shoulder-bag#what-s-included

I have to check on the cost of upgrading but I guess what I'm wondering is will it be worth it to upgrade to get those extras?

Pregnancy Ticker
  • edited November 2016
    @CurlyCupcake21 the pump that is covered is enough to get you started. I guess depending on the price of upgrade would determine if it is worth it or not. For say $20 it would be worth it. You can't buy a cooler and ice packs for $20. All of that stuff can be purchased in store though so I would do a price check at places like Target and Babies R Us and then compare to what the insurance upgrade cost is. And I would also say it would depend on your pumping needs. Will you pump while at work? If so you will want all those things. 
  • Loading the player...
  • I recently went to a baby wearing meeting.  Look for groups on FB.  I have a Becco soft sided carrier and plan on getting a ring sling for easy in and out.  The Moby is good if you are going to wrap for long periods of time at home.   I needed something for running in and out of school or the store quickly,  and the ring sling seemed like my best best. 
    Married - 7/29/06
    Ben and Maggie - 4/10/09 
    Mia - 6/16/11
    Surprise! due 2/23/17

BabyFruit Ticker
  • @jstringfellow19 thanks! I'm going to check with them tomorrow to see how much the upgrade is. I am plannning on pumping at work so that's one if the reasons I was wondering if I need that. It may be worth it to buy them separately though. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Testing this thing.  

• For diaper bags - is anyone just using their regular purse (like a big tote) with one of those diaper bag organizer inserts inside of it?  It is what I would like to do because I like to carry a big tote all the time, and don't really want a separate bag in addition to that, and want to look stylish - but not sure if anyone has experience/would or would not recommend doing this?
  • @MissMerciBeaucoup I say do whatever you want to do in the case of diaper bags. I didn't end up liking mine and now use my regular bag but it's way too small. I'm looking at Fawn Design for my new one because my husband hated that it wasn't a backpack. I overpacked a lot so it was pretty heavy. 
  • I'm not a traditional diaper bag user. I say get whatever you're comfortable with!!!
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Ok, I thought of another one; what do you ladies recommend regarding baby bath tubs?

We have a little house. We decided for storage reasons to get one of the blooming bath pillows to use in our giant sink, in lieu of a baby tub. Now I'm wondering if that will be sufficient for full time use until LO is big enough for refular tub baths? How long should I expect to use one of the small tubs?
    Rainbow baby Dean is due 2/17/17!
  • @winchestergirl are you talking about the cute flower thing? 
  • I'm really anti that flower thing. It makes a huge mess and takes FOREVER to dry. Your bettter off with the collapsible ones 
  • @homemake Yeah, the flower thing.

@PerraSucia do you have a particular collapsible tub you recommend? The ones I've seen in the baby stores seem to just be a single piece of molded plastic. 
    Rainbow baby Dean is due 2/17/17!
  • @WinchesterGirl  My dd started sitting up in a regular bathtub around 9 months. We probably could have done it sooner but we really liked her 4moms baby bath tub  
  • Thanks @PerraSucia - I had already gotten one of the flower bath things and I had mixed feelings about it. Guess I will return that and choose a different one to add to my registry!
  • @homemake Yeah, the flower thing.

@PerraSucia do you have a particular collapsible tub you recommend? The ones I've seen in the baby stores seem to just be a single piece of molded plastic. 
    I was going to say a similar thing about the flower bath. It's so cute but it didn't seem like it would end up being practical,I wouldn't have it for my primary tub. the one @perrasucia linked looks good for space saving. I had tried a collapsible but ended up just going with the cheapo 15 dollar pink tub and it ended up working best for us. That one definitely takes up some space though. 
  • Has anyone used a bellefit girdle or corset? They're pricey, but the reviews seem good
  • srscott3 said:
    Has anyone used a bellefit girdle or corset? They're pricey, but the reviews seem good
    This has been my largest research project this pregnancy.  So everything I've read says they're great but NOT made for people with big asses which is like my defining quality.  So I emailed them and asked what they recommended and they said if you use a bra band extender in the crotch area it allows for more junk in the trunk.   I'm planning on buying two this time around. Last time I used just a band one and was always messing with it because I'm taller and it hiked up and was way thick and hot 
  • So what's the difference between an exersaucer (stationary) and then a jumping one? Is one better than the other? I feel like it would be redundant to have both....
  • @leslie1331 we only used a bouncer and never bothered with the exersaucer. They do make some exersaucers that can bounce as well. I wouldn't bother getting both. They do make doorway jumpers, if you go that route I would get the exersaucer too. They both do the same thing in essence. My dd loved her bouncer, I got a stationary walker instead of an exersaucer. 
  • For anyone interested, Zulily has several different Belly Bandit belts on one of their sales.
    Me: 24  DH: 28

Married: 9/2013

Love my LEO!!

TTC #1: 9/2015

BFP: 2/1/16  MC 2/8/16 @ 5wks

BFP: 5/22/16 RAINBOW BABY

EDD: 1/30/2017 *IT'S A GIRL!!!!* 

Kirsten Grace 1/20/17                            

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • @PerraSucia Yay! I'm glad someone else is planning on buying these. I think I'm going to do my measurements and purchase a bundle in January 
  • @srscott3 we can be sausages together  <3
  • We laughed with our twins that we had like a baby circuit workout in the family room with all the stuff we had.  Two exersaucers, two bouncy chairs,  activity mat,  two swings,  jumperoo, lol.  You can use the exersaucer much earlier than the jumperoo. The bouncy chair you could probably skip if you have a Rock and play or a swing ,  to me,  all you really needed was a place to safely set baby down and bonus if it rocked or went back and forth.   My older babies were crazy for the jumperoo.

Sadly, all of that was sold or handed down after my third.   I am getting hand outs from friends,  and we will add to that as we figure the new baby out.

Married - 7/29/06
    Ben and Maggie - 4/10/09 
    Mia - 6/16/11
    Surprise! due 2/23/17

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Thanks everyone!! I got a rock n play, bouncer, jumperoo and walker thing from my friend. I'm thinking I need a playmat thing and I'm all set 
  • So I already bought some of these swaddle sacks and the fleece Halo Sleep swaddles. Am I ok to just use these or will I also want to buy normal blankets for swaddling?

• @lfrank12 we only used those baby straight jackets for the baby but used muslin swaddles to cover the car seat from sun and stuff 
  • I've been looking at the leggings for babies and wonder. ...isn't it a hassle to put those on and remove during diaper changes? 

• @lfrank12. You will definitely want some blankets. If your little one doesn't like being in those swaddle sacks you will want blankets so you can leave the arms free when you swaddle. Plus blankets are always good to have for during the day use. 

@AfKash. In reality everything can be a pain to put on and off for diaper changes. When dd was younger I wouldn't take her bottoms all the way off, I would bring them to the ankles. 
  • I'm finalizing our registry this weekend since our shower invites will be going out soon. Really, honestly...how many of the following do I need?
    - receiving blankets
    - bottles and each size of nipples
    - pacis (assuming he takes to a paci)
    - crib sheets
    - changing pad covers
    - burp cloths
    - wash cloths
    - (hooded) towels

I have so many of each of these, and not sure if it's all necessary. 
    Married: 12/2015
    Me: 37 - H: 39
    TTC#1: 01/2016
    BFP: 06/18/2016 - EDD: 02/20/2017 - Born: 01/27/2017

• I'm finalizing our registry this weekend since our shower invites will be going out soon. Really, honestly...how many of the following do I need?
    - receiving blankets
    - bottles and each size of nipples
    - pacis (assuming he takes to a paci)
    - crib sheets
    - changing pad covers
    - burp cloths
    - wash cloths
    - (hooded) towels

I have so many of each of these, and not sure if it's all necessary. 
    - We had 5 blankets but probably would have been okay with 3 ( we only used them as blankets)
    -My best advice would be to ask for multiple brands in 1,2 or 3 packs. Just in case your little one doesn't like the bottle and nipple. I wouldn't really ask for lots of nipples because of the resin above.
    -Pacis, we didn't use.
    -We have 5 changing pad covers and that is probably too many. You are better off getting fewer covers and getting more pads to lay on top of the covers.
    -Lots of burp clothes, you can never have too many.
    -Lots of wash clothes, you will use them for more than bath time. I.e. cleaning up a messy baby.
    - I have 7 hooded towels, that way I can do I've load of laundry a week. 
  • Need opinions on nursing pillows! I am a STM, but didn't like my Boppy pillow last time and also knew a teen mom in need who wanted it, so I didn't mind just giving it to her.

All that to say, I'm in the market for a new one and would love suggestions. What I didn't like about the Boppy was that it was stiff and quite rounded, so my baby rolled into me (a complaint I've read about from others as well). So generally, I'm looking for a softer option. For example, the Jolly Jumper Boomerang? TIA!
  • https://www.amazon.com/Postpartum-Support-Pelvic-Binder-Therapy/dp/B00OPJC4P6

Has anyone heard of the Mama Strut? I don't actually know how new it is so I don't know if anyone here has used one but it seems kind of interesting. Its a combination PP corset band thing and then a place to shove icepacks or heating packs down there, all in one. Is this just a waste of money or could it actually be useful?

• Question: if you're 'planning' on BF (FTM here), how much should you register for as far as bottles/nipples? My pump came with 6 bottles for storage but no nipples or anything and I just have 1 "starter pack" of bottles on my registry right now (it has like 5 bottles in different sizes).
    Me: 24  DH: 28

Married: 9/2013

Love my LEO!!

TTC #1: 9/2015

BFP: 2/1/16  MC 2/8/16 @ 5wks

BFP: 5/22/16 RAINBOW BABY

EDD: 1/30/2017 *IT'S A GIRL!!!!* 

Kirsten Grace 1/20/17                            

• @becbec28 I BF both kids, but they were in daycare full-time (typically 6:30  - 5:30 5 days per week).  Neither would take the bottles that came with my pump, so I pumped into those bottles then transferred to the bottles they would drink from (Tommee Tippee).  We had 5 of the Tommee Tippee bottles and it was a good number for us.  They each consistently drank 3-4 bottles at daycare and I always sent the 5th bottle with extra just in case they had a hungry day.

I'd handwash the used bottles when I got home from work (when there are only 3-4 at a time, handwashing takes about 5 mins), let them dry while eating dinner, then transfer the pumped milk into the tommee tippees for the next day.  I kept 1 lid with a sticker on it that signified it needed to be the first milk drank the next day so that the extra bottle was rotated and didn't get old.

I hate handwashing dishes, but I also didn't feel like the dishwasher did a great job on the bottles and it really wasn't bad to do just those few every night.  I'm planning to try the Kiinde Twist system this time.

• becbec28 said:
    Question: if you're 'planning' on BF (FTM here), how much should you register for as far as bottles/nipples? My pump came with 6 bottles for storage but no nipples or anything and I just have 1 "starter pack" of bottles on my registry right now (it has like 5 bottles in different sizes).
    I am going with the kiinde system that way I can pump directly into the bags that are also bottles. There is no cleaning the problem is, you have to buy all the bags. But I hate cleaning soo yeah, I will give up a few extra dollars not to clean anymore than I have too.
    https://www.amazon.com/Kiinde-Twist-Squeeze-Natural-Feeding/dp/B00CXRUJYU

Married to my Soul Mate since 09/06/09

BabyFruit Ticker

MC 10.23.15 @ 10 weeks
  • becbec28 said:
    Question: if you're 'planning' on BF (FTM here), how much should you register for as far as bottles/nipples? My pump came with 6 bottles for storage but no nipples or anything and I just have 1 "starter pack" of bottles on my registry right now (it has like 5 bottles in different sizes).
    I am going with the kiinde system that way I can pump directly into the bags that are also bottles. There is no cleaning the problem is, you have to buy all the bags. But I hate cleaning soo yeah, I will give up a few extra dollars not to clean anymore than I have too.
    https://www.amazon.com/Kiinde-Twist-Squeeze-Natural-Feeding/dp/B00CXRUJYU

This is like the best idea ever, in theory. But after getting my trial kit, it actually seems like such a PITA :(
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Man we played with it more and I'm just torn on the kiinde system. The nipple totally sucks and that the measuring isn't accurate and you can't fit as many in the freezer. But it is so nice to not have to deal with bottles. 
  • I think I still like the Kiinde after the trial, cause you can get an adapter and use different nipples, right? I washed about 20 of my co-host's bottles after a baby shower and she had probably 12 different types. Still traumatized from that puzzle, lol. I really just want to buy 1 and be done.
    Me: 31  H: 32
    Married: 10/10
    EDD: 8/27/16  MMC 1/16
    Rainbow Boy: 2/04/17
    TTC: 4/18 BFP: 1/2/19
    EDD: 9/6/19
    Pregnancy Ticker