October 2016 Moms
Options

Setting up nursery?

Re: Setting up nursery?

• Options
    @NicholeL16- I know some aren't down for the bark collar, but if you need a recommendation for a good one, let me know. We have one for each of ours that we don't really use often, but it gives a warning beep and if they keep it up, then the correction comes. It has settings from super light to progressive intensity and goes off based on vibrations vs sound. Also, there's a safety setting that if it corrects 5 times within a certain amount of times, it'll go into safety mode and turn off.
    Our big dog hardly needs the warning beep when wearing it and our stubborn little dog has to have it on the highest setting because she's unaffected otherwise lol. 
  • Options
    @bnsmith85 I normally would be open to that option but my dog is a rescue and she has major major issues. Using correcting measures with her has been very tricky. For example, I was running with her one time and she was acting like a fool so I lightly swatted her butt with the leash and she curled up in a ball in the middle of the street. She was yelping like I beat her and wouldn't move. Another time my fiancé kind of pushed her outside because she was underfoot while we were trying to move. She wouldn't go near him for days. The most helpful thing we have found is to separate her from me when she is behaving in a way we don't want her to. She is desperate to be as close to me as possible. We have made so much progress with her but my FIL loves to get her all worked up by banging on the door when they come over. He will continue to bang even when he can hear me unlocking it.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @NicholeL16 That would make me so mad, I would tell him ASAP that he needs to keep his knocks reasonable... surely he'll tone it down once LO is born?
  • Options
    @AllyTheKid I really hope so. I did say something last time about how he really wasn't helping the situation with the dog and that I'm trying to work with her so we can all live peacefully when the baby comes. I don't mean to complain about my in laws at all. They are wonderful and a huge help to us. I enjoy having them around. He's just a jokester and that happens to be something I don't find funny at all.
  • Options
    @nichcolel16 Awe... Poor baby! And agreed... That is 100% the wrong option for your pup. 
  • Options
    @NicholeL16 You can try a citronella bark collar. We have one for our rescue pup, it's much more humane IMO. We tried a shock collar with her and it scared her to death and made it worse. We've had really good results with the citronella collar. It just gives her a squirt, which snaps her out of it and she quiets down. We rarely need to use it anymore, and most of the time when we put it on her, we don't even turn it on. She's learned that crate + collar = quiet time. 

Anniversary

Baby GIRL born 9/16/201
    BFP! EDD 8/1/2019 CP 4w2d

• Options
    @von1976 I've never heard of that before, I'll look into it. Thank you! Crating was another disaster with her. She has never distroyed anything or gone potty in the house, but I took her out of town with me once and decided to crate her when we left my friends house. She bent the metal cage, managed to get the plastic tray out of the bottom, and pulled up an entire room of carpet.
  • Options
    Yes... The citronella! It doesn't work for our pups but it worked wonders for my friends' dog! @NicholeL16
    @NoraAurora - our friends' weenie dog is like fhat. No bark collars bother him. It's so weird. We'll probably have to get something like that to put on the walkway going up to our front door bc if they even stand by the door our big dog notices. His spot on the couch doubles as his lookout post lol. That, or our kid is going to have to get used to it.
  • Options
    @NoraAurora pretty sure you're my spirit animal. I laughed too hard at that post and then realized it's because that's who I am, too. 
  • Options
    1) I got so GD irritated with solicitors at my house after DS was born that I bought a cute red sign for my door off etsy basically saying they aren't welcome and to gtfo (this was after disconnecting my doorbell). SOMEHOW that didn't work 100% and so i grabbed some yellow notebook paper and a sharpie and basically taped a note saying (in all caps & underlined) that if you wake my child I will cut you. This has been 99% effective, however all the signage on my door causes me to look like the meanest bitch in town. Whatever, my child is the best damn sleeper I've ever met. I'll take it. 

2) My dog has never met a bark collar she couldn't utterly ignore. Not that we hurt our dog or anything, but I'm pretty sure she has that disorder where you can't feel pain. Hence the signage. 
    @NoraAurora This had me rolling!! :lol: You could probably create and sell this as a real sign for the door haha
  • Options
    I second the citronella collar option! The last place I live I had neighbors that complained about our pup and we were almost evicted because of it. As soon as I invested in the citronella collar... problem solved. I don't even have to turn it on anymore when I put it on him, he just knows not to bark. 
    Me: 31 | DH: 43
    BFP #1: 7/15/15, SB: 11/14/15
    Rainbow baby DS born 9/29/16!!
    BFP #3 3/26/18 | Due 12/3/18
  • Options
    bnsmith85 said:
    @KenderTas06- be careful about space between the cribs. Baby was okay, but I read about a mom coming into the nursery to find one of her twins had crawled out of the crib and fell between the two with just her head stuck in the gap. It could have been a bad situation, but thankfully, it wasn't. 
    Yes, please make sure there is either zero space between or enough for you to stand between so there is no risk of one baby getting stuck!
  • Options
    Our plan is to hopefully be in a bigger house by the time the girls can crawl out. But I understand the concern. Like I mentioned I think I'll rearrange. Right now it feels to cramped in that section. I WANTED the cribs spaced out much more on that wall but it didn't leave enough space in the entrance. Regardless I'll space them out more or push them together. I don't want to take any chances. :)
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    We had the same situation, thinking we'd have more room than we did. Good luck getting the room arrangement figured out! :)
  • Options
    Right there with you ladies on the space issue. These twins are getting the smallest room in our house, since DS's room doubles as his play room, and the guest room now also has my office in it (which I need since I work from home). It's tight but we're figuring it out! Takes a little rearranging every time I add a piece of furniture in there. Hope you find an arrangement you're happy with!
  • Options
    @KenderTas06... I was looking up over the crib decorations and saw this. Maybe your cribs would fit better like this?

• Options
    You guys. DH would be SO upset if he knew, but I'm reeeeally not feeling our nursery anymore lol. It just doesn't feel cohesive and it's killing me. We have very different styles so I feel like I keep compromising and now things just feel hodge podge. Also I think it's because our glider is a hand me down from my mom (and it is super comfy so I really want to use it) but it's off white and everything else is accented with a brighter white. Oh I don't know. Mom is coming over this weekend for one of my showers so hopefully she'll have some ideas to help.

Anyhow, just more of a vent... I just needed to get that out there into the universe!
  • Options
    @julia70286 did you post pictures? Maybe if we see it we can help. :)
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I should have noticed the high back lol... But yes, that's an option too! @KenderTas06
  • Options
    I wasn't feeling my nursery for a while, mostly bc the crib was a hand me down and I had always pictured it white instead of dark wood. But the more we decorated the more I liked it. The curtains were a big help tying it all together. Good luck! 
  • Options
    My mom comes in town Friday for my shower so I'm sure we will figure out how to set up the room. I still want to add a chair- I would love a futon, but I know it won't fit without making the room crowded. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    blaf322blaf322 member
    edited July 2016
    @Julia70286 ... Vent away girl! I'm a fixer by nature so I just HAVE to make a suggestion to try to help :) I wonder if there's any kind of treatment you could do on the fabric of the chair to whiten it? I'm sure that's not your only qualm with the room but if you can find something that will, kind of, bleach out the color of the fabric, maybe that would help?
    And, FYI... Anything you decide to do, be sure to test it in a non-visible location first so you don't ruin the chair by mistake.
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    @kendertas06 I did, but it was a while back... so I'll post again! Don't mind the curtainless window, we got the wrong size rod and blinds. Also, I need to clean the glider. It looks a little spotty, but a lot of it actually is shadow... it's really in pretty good condition, just looks dingy next to the bright whites. I was going to make little arm covers out of that cloud fabric, but looking at it now, I think it clashes too much. Also, maybe some matting for the pictures in the back?
    ETA - It's definitely a work in progress still. 

• Options
    @Julia70286... What parts of the nursery do you love? From a decoration perspective.
  • Options
    @bnsmith85 I love the wall color and the curtains. DH hates yellow and that minty greenish blue... it's a running joke/argument in our house (depending on my mood and how pissy I want to be lol). Here is the other wall, which I really like. I added a lamp too with green pom pom fringe (just posted a few posts ago on here, so it's not too far back).

I think things took a turn for the worst with the glider and pictures really. I guess I can always sell the glider and get a different one, and I think the matting idea, or changing to white frames, will help as well.  

• Options
    blaf322blaf322 member
    edited July 2016
    So the issue is mostly the chair? @Julia70286

Eta- or maybe also the picture frames behind it
  • Options
    KenderTas06KenderTas06 member
    edited July 2016
    Could you put a white slip cover
    over the glider to make it the color you want?

*I should mention I am terrible at decorating. I always have a vision but I'm not good at making it happen*

edit: I remember your nursery now. I love the concept!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Great idea on the slip cover! You could probably also commission someone to make a custom one if needed
  • Options
    @bnsmith85 I think now that I'm getting to the nitty gritty of my feelings, yeah, I think it's mostly the chair. I think changing the format of framing of the pictures will really help too though. I'm gonna check out some matted frames. 

@KenderTas06  I was JUST thinking that about a slip cover! Off to google! 

• Options
    I think the crib and glider are super close and that may be throwing it off. Also, agree on white frames. That will help lighten it up!

Me: 28  DH: 27
    TTC since 2011
    IVF #1 June 2013 DD born: 2/25/14
    IVF #2 January 2016 Double Transfer: 1/28/2016
    First Beta: 108 Second Beta: 360.3
    Twins EDD: 10/13/2016