May 2016 Moms

**The Everything Random Thread for May 2016**

Re: **The Everything Random Thread for May 2016**

• Loading the player...
  • arj14 said:
     - How necessary is a humidifier for a baby, actually?

- Assuming I give birth on my EDD, how likely is it that I will feel up to going to some friends' wedding two weeks later?  Baby would not attend; would be baby-sat by ILs or parents.

- Again assuming I give birth on my EDD, how likely is it that I'll feel up to going to concert three weeks later?  Flight of the Conchords is going to be in Milwaukee and the thought of missing them makes me sad. :(
    DD got sick all.the.time. that first year, so a humidifier is clutch. Especially since you can't really give them medicine! Ear infections, stuffy noses and coughs are rough when they are so little, so it was one of the only things I could do to help.

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker

BFP 1: 9/15/2013 | DD 5/23/2014
    BFP 2: 9/15/2015 | EDD 5/26/2016

• swflJD said:
    ncm0328 said:
    So since we moved across the country in December, my sister and mom threw a small "celebrate the baby/pregnancy/new mom to be" party (since it was way too early to consider it a shower) back in November so that my husband and I could see all of our close friends and family before we left and so we could celebrate this pregnancy with those we love before we move so far away. We got so much baby stuff, and I'm so so grateful. We've pretty much, over the past few months, have gotten most everything else we need for baby....and there's NO ROOM for it. Kids need a lot, man and we've got zero storage space in this new house. I got organizer bins for the nursery closet and have put most of what I could fit in there, and currently things like the baby bath, the few rattles/toys we have, the play mat, are all piled into the crib because I have nowhere else for them to go. WHERE THE HELL DO PEOPLE KEEP ALL THE BABY STUFF?! I walk in there to try and tackle the nursery to get it to looking how I want and there's a big eye sore of a stroller chilling in the corner. Haha. Here baby! Sleep atop of your baby stuff mountain, I promise it will be comfy! 
    I'm having the same issue with finding storage space. After our first shower a week ago, our nursery is overflowing, and we still have another shower in 3 weeks! When we bought our house about 2 years ago, we were moving from a condo and thought we'd never find enough stuff to fill the whole thing. Fast forward 2 years, and I have no idea where all this stuff came from! Because we have vaulted ceilings throughout the house, our only attic space is over the garage, and it's relatively small. Other than that and some shelving in the garage, we don't have any storage space. When we cleaned out the room that is now our nursery, we threw out a ton of stuff and I still have about 6-7 boxes of stuff stacked in my guest room that I need to sell, donate, or find somewhere to store. My ILs have a vacation condo across town with a small attic over their garage that they don't use, so I may start filling it! 

STMs: Where did/do you store your stroller, baby carrier, and other larger items when not in use? We could always set them in the foyer by the door or in the dining room floor, but I can't stand clutter and I'm sure it would drive me crazy.
    Stroller - either in the garage or in the trunk of my car.
    Baby carrier - typically it's just in the back seat of my car on the floor so it's handy to throw on and throw DD on me (on the carseat side, so even if I have someone ride with me it isn't in the way)
    Other big items (swing, jumperoo, RNP, etc) went in the attic as soon as she was too big for them to be available for the next baby. When in use, the swing was in the living room against the wall. RNP travelled, we used it everywhere, all the time! Bedroom, bathroom while I would shower/bathe, we even took it to the drive in movie (score!) ... By the time she was big enough for the jumperoo, she had outgrown the swing & RNP and they went in the attic.
    Car seat obviously lives in the car.
    We have converted our front room (dining room then workout room) to a playroom so it's full of her big toddler toys (easel, table & chairs, tent, etc) so that helps some. I may put the swing in there for this baby, so I can hang out in there while DD plays and LO naps... still working on that one.

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker

BFP 1: 9/15/2013 | DD 5/23/2014
    BFP 2: 9/15/2015 | EDD 5/26/2016

• @kp90 PPs have given great advice. I totally agree that you're not being treated fairly or with enough respect as an equal partner. Things are about to become more complicated with a baby, so working through your differences now will pay dividends over your entire relationship, but will be hugely beneficial over the next year. You are partners in life and it isn't your job to wait on him hand and foot, the sooner he learns that lesson, the better. Good luck, I hope you have a calm and honest discussion and that he listens to what you're saying and is open to making some changes. 
  • dshannah said:
    RSaini said:

a friend of mine rsvp'd yes to my shower but then two weeks before the shower realized it's her husband's bday the next day and so is having a family dinner the day of my shower and decides to change her rsvp from yes to no. Upon hearing this from my baby shower host I'm appalled that someone can't just attend for the sake of showing up since you're my friend and a close one at that even for just an hour. The shower is during the day if I remember correctly. 

I don't understand people sometimes. 

If she is a good friend, my guess is that she both really needs the time to prep for company to come over and that she intends to be such a big part of your life with baby that she doesn't see the shower as an important event for her to attend to show her care for you and baby.

A positive spin on a big faux pas, I suppose, but I'm sure your friend wasnt being thoughtless or dismissive, and I'm sure she's sorry not to be there. Because she is your friend, I'm assuming the best!
    @dshannah I think i am just overreacting because i wouldn't do that to a friend...but that's just me...I appreciate you showing me the other side!! Im gonna blame it on 3rd trimester hormones lol 
  • JennyS86JennyS86 member
    edited March 2016
    @kp90 I'm sorry that you're dealing with this during pregnancy.  rough.  I'm hoping for you that the arrival of baby might be a fresh start for your relationship as well.  Roles and other things in life change.  For example, my DH used to make dinner when I would work til 8pm, but when he went back to night school, I had to suck it up and figure dinner out for us most nights because he didn't home til 9pm.  When he finished school, I had to have the difficult conversation with him that I need more help around the house.  I have a hard time asking for help for fear that it makes me look weak - but when we help each other out, we spend more time together doing fun things. 

I remember thinking "why won't he help me!!" when our twins were infants.  After many tears, I realized that I have to ask him for help.  But I also felt devastated that I should have to ask for help for OUR children - couldn't he hear them cry too?! 

Being pregnant again, I wasted no time asking him to feed the twins breakfast on the weekend so that I could spend more time in bed.  Communication is key for us - and it is still a work in progress.

eta: I know I'm not perfect either!  I know it makes him crazy when he comes home from a long day and there are toys everywhere.  Some days I can get it done, and some days, he helps!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Mama to Three Girls: 
    Twins born March 2014 at 26 weeks due to preterm labor
    and our 37weeker born May 9th, 2016!

• @kp90 that sucks. 
    My DH and I were just talking about how we divu up responsibilities. The metaphor we use is he is the CFO (he keeps our budget, makes sure bills get paid, approves major purchases), I'm the COO (I keep our schedule, maintain the house, laundry, family obligations) but we're BOTH the CEO (major company wide decisions need to be made together).
    it sounds like you're doing all THREE jobs, and no company/family can function that way.
    I'm wondering too what your husband thinks his contribution is to your family?
    as Pp have said, counseling would be a good idea. You're married, that means you gotta figure this stuff out, but it seems like an emotionally charged situation and a counselor can help you both feel heard and understood.
    good luck!
  • kp90 said:

So I thought I'd post this here so I don't clog the board with another vent session but I need to get this out before I explode and start crying... again. I'll try to make it short but I need to vent.

This has been an ongoing thing for some time but lately I can't handle it. My SO and I both work full time.. well I get home before him and I swear I do 90% of the house work 100% of the time. When I get home at 5pm I do not get off my feet until about 730/8pm and then its time for bed.

Last night as soon as he comes in the door he starts complaining that the house smelled funny. I told him I just took the trash out... and he's like no, it smells like dogs. (we have 3... technically they are mine and I had them long before him and I got together) so anyway.. I tried to ignore it. He then makes a comment about how he's starving since I didn't pack him breakfast in his lunch and that it was an "implied task"... I also tried letting this slide... so then I go to heat up dinner (left overs) I take him his plate and its cold.. so he asked me to put it back in the microwave for 2 min. Well I didn't put it in that long for fear it would get nasty and overheat.. I put it in about 50 seconds and put it back on the table. He stated again it was STILL cold and why can't I follow simple directions and put it in for 2 minutes like he asked me to? So as I walk back to the microwave I put the plate in for TWO MINUTES and did not give one shit if the food caught on fire.. I sat there listening to it sizzle and pop as tears are running down my face because how mean he was being. This went on literally all night. Nothing I did was right or good enough. I only get my flaws noticed.

Skip to today... I just emailed him telling him I wont have time to cook tonight because once I get home we have to turn around and leave in about 50 min to an hour and I still have to change and take care of the dogs so my plan is to stop by fast food and pick up something on the way.... his reply was "Of course!" to which I responded "was that sarcasm?" and he replied, "definitely". So I then just emailed back and asked what his suggestion for dinner was????  I don't know if its me and hormones but I seriously can't take much more of this. I bust my ass EVERY SINGLE DAY and he never sees or acknowledges it. I can't do this much longer and I don't know how to fix it. I just want to cry!!

Your husband sounds like an asshole and I feel bad for you that you're married to him honestly. :/ My husband would never treat me that way.

Me: 31

DH: 29, SA - Great

Married: June 12,2011

TTC #1: 1/2014

Diagnosis: Hypothalamic Amenorrhea

Treatment: Clomid:  50mg, 100mg, 150mg - not successful and not monitored

Menopur 75ml (upped to 112.5ml), Ovidrel, & IUI  IUI #1 8/31/2015

9/15/2015: BFP HCG - 400, 9/17/2015: HCG - 827, 9/21/2015 - HCG 3,327!
    Heartbeat 10/2/2015: 118bpm
    DS: 5/27/2016

TTC# 2: 12/2017
    BFP: 4/20/2018
    EDD: 12/29/2018
  • @kp90 and another thought: if you're concerned about money (since that seems like the only thing he might be helping out with): he's still got to pay child support, even if you have gotten rid of him for his frankly abusive behavior. 

• @kp90 your husband needs a reality check, and I think an ultimatum is justified in situations like this, especially with a baby on the way. 
    *Siggy Warning*
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• @JessicaB0627 Really? Because almost everyone else mentioned their husbands and how helpful they are with things too. Do you want to single all them out as well?

• kp90kp90 member
    Thank you ladies for all the advice and input. It's appreciated. I wish you ladies actually knew him so you could better understand where I come from as far as when I don't stand up for myself or I try to keep the peace.. I guess because I know 100% that it would only create an even bigger storm and I'm trying so so hard not to stress myself out again after my hospital trip last week that threw myself into contractions... and yes because I love him and don't want to lose him. BUT I do agree with all of you 100%. I know this isn't right or fair and the thing is I would never, EVER accept this from anyone else.. I just don't understand what it is that won't let my inner rage come out and speak up. We kind of talked last night on the way home from birthing class.. which he did attend but this was probably the first and last one because of his work. Anyways.. the conversation really did not get us anywhere. He only defended himself and said that he shouldn't have to be in a relationship where he is afraid to say whatever he wants. Again, I know this sounds insane because if I did that we would end up in World War 3. I can't seem to get through to him. And its not ALWAYS like this.. sometimes he can be very sweet (like PP on my birthday) etc. and sometimes he will do house chores without me asking like taking the trash out.. but those moments are few and far between all the things he points out that I have failed to do. I won't even get into some of what he said last night because I know it would only piss you ladies off even more, believe me. But he is thinking about attending some anger management courses so maybe that's a start? and he at least acknowledge that he is not okay and he knows some of his behavior isn't justified so I also think that's a big step in admitting that. He blames most of it on his high stress job and he suffered a head injury about 2 years ago during deployment so I know that has also played into some of his changes. Not making excuses for him, I just want him to seek help if that's what he needs and try to think before he speaks and realize how much he hurts me sometimes. I am definitely going to bring up counseling and hope he doesn't completely shut it down.
  • kp90kp90 member
    @sarawifenow Thank you. And I'm sorry you dealt with that kind of abuse in the past for so long. Unfortunately my ex was also mentally abusive and I was in therapy because of it which led me to finally getting out but it was headed down a very ugly path especially when he would drink. That's no situation for anyone to ever be in. I really hope this relationship never reaches that point and we can turn it around before that happens.
  • @kp90 thank you. It took some time but I am over it now!  Just know that you have a ton of support here! We are all rooting for you!
  • Is Daniel Tiger this generation's Barney? It does my head in but I'm embarrassed to admit, that show is the only way DS will currently brush his teeth. Meow meow!
  • We use Daniel Tiger songs for so many things-- teeth-brushing included!
  • kp90 said:
    Thank you ladies for all the advice and input. It's appreciated. I wish you ladies actually knew him so you could better understand where I come from as far as when I don't stand up for myself or I try to keep the peace.. I guess because I know 100% that it would only create an even bigger storm and I'm trying so so hard not to stress myself out again after my hospital trip last week that threw myself into contractions... and yes because I love him and don't want to lose him. BUT I do agree with all of you 100%. I know this isn't right or fair and the thing is I would never, EVER accept this from anyone else.. I just don't understand what it is that won't let my inner rage come out and speak up. We kind of talked last night on the way home from birthing class.. which he did attend but this was probably the first and last one because of his work. Anyways.. the conversation really did not get us anywhere. He only defended himself and said that he shouldn't have to be in a relationship where he is afraid to say whatever he wants. Again, I know this sounds insane because if I did that we would end up in World War 3. I can't seem to get through to him. And its not ALWAYS like this.. sometimes he can be very sweet (like PP on my birthday) etc. and sometimes he will do house chores without me asking like taking the trash out.. but those moments are few and far between all the things he points out that I have failed to do. I won't even get into some of what he said last night because I know it would only piss you ladies off even more, believe me. But he is thinking about attending some anger management courses so maybe that's a start? and he at least acknowledge that he is not okay and he knows some of his behavior isn't justified so I also think that's a big step in admitting that. He blames most of it on his high stress job and he suffered a head injury about 2 years ago during deployment so I know that has also played into some of his changes. Not making excuses for him, I just want him to seek help if that's what he needs and try to think before he speaks and realize how much he hurts me sometimes. I am definitely going to bring up counseling and hope he doesn't completely shut it down.

I was reading through your post and was going to ask if he had a really stressful job, but you answered that for me. I think anger management is a good idea. That and counseling. Has he spoken to a doctor about the head issues/had any scans? Maybe being put on medication would help even him out, if that's truly what he believes is going on.

Even still, it's not fair for him to treat you that way. You are his wife and he should be treating you like he loves and adores you. If people always said exactly what they wanted, we'd all be in a lot of trouble. I know if I did it, I'd have lost my job long ago and probably wouldn't have any friends. There is a time and a place and belittling you and constantly complaining is not okay. It's just not.

Hopefully some anger management/counseling will help. I think counseling would be a good idea because there would sort of be a middle person there and that person would make you talk and your DH would have to listen. Maybe it would help him understand how much he is hurting you, because I really don't think he realizes it.

• @kp90 So sorry you are going through that. I was in a similar relationship awhile back- right down to the TBI/PTSD- and it's tough. I hope he agrees to go to counseling, but if he doesn't, consider going on your own. Counseling/therapy helped me a lot. 

Also, have you ever checked out Al-Anon? I know he's not an alcoholic, but I found it helped me so, so much with not letting people's crazy behavior affect me and my life. Codependents Anonymus is also worth checking out, but I liked Al-Anon a lot better. 
  • kp90 said:

So I thought I'd post this here so I don't clog the board with another vent session but I need to get this out before I explode and start crying... again. I'll try to make it short but I need to vent.

This has been an ongoing thing for some time but lately I can't handle it. My SO and I both work full time.. well I get home before him and I swear I do 90% of the house work 100% of the time. When I get home at 5pm I do not get off my feet until about 730/8pm and then its time for bed.

Last night as soon as he comes in the door he starts complaining that the house smelled funny. I told him I just took the trash out... and he's like no, it smells like dogs. (we have 3... technically they are mine and I had them long before him and I got together) so anyway.. I tried to ignore it. He then makes a comment about how he's starving since I didn't pack him breakfast in his lunch and that it was an "implied task"... I also tried letting this slide... so then I go to heat up dinner (left overs) I take him his plate and its cold.. so he asked me to put it back in the microwave for 2 min. Well I didn't put it in that long for fear it would get nasty and overheat.. I put it in about 50 seconds and put it back on the table. He stated again it was STILL cold and why can't I follow simple directions and put it in for 2 minutes like he asked me to? So as I walk back to the microwave I put the plate in for TWO MINUTES and did not give one shit if the food caught on fire.. I sat there listening to it sizzle and pop as tears are running down my face because how mean he was being. This went on literally all night. Nothing I did was right or good enough. I only get my flaws noticed.

Skip to today... I just emailed him telling him I wont have time to cook tonight because once I get home we have to turn around and leave in about 50 min to an hour and I still have to change and take care of the dogs so my plan is to stop by fast food and pick up something on the way.... his reply was "Of course!" to which I responded "was that sarcasm?" and he replied, "definitely". So I then just emailed back and asked what his suggestion for dinner was????  I don't know if its me and hormones but I seriously can't take much more of this. I bust my ass EVERY SINGLE DAY and he never sees or acknowledges it. I can't do this much longer and I don't know how to fix it. I just want to cry!!

@kp90This really upsets me for you. Why does your SO think it's your job to pack his meals, cook for him, clean the house, etc.? He is a grown ass adult who is eating the meals and living in the house and making a mess there, so why does he think you should be doing all these things for him? Unless he's disabled and unable to care for himself (which doesn't appear to be the case), he's just being a selfish, immature asshole. I might even give him the benefit of the doubt if you were a homemaker and he was the only one coming home hungry and tired after a long day of work (but even then, he still wouldn't have an excuse for the nasty attitude), but there is no reason for you to be doing so much when you both work full time outside of the home and you are 6+ months pregnant. He needs a serious reality check before your LO gets here! Is he going to expect you to be the only one jumping up to feed, change, and comfort your child in the middle of the night and then go to work sleep-deprived, only to come home and clean the house and cook for him? That's too much for any one person, but my guess is that will be his expectation. It's not fair to you, and you shouldn't allow him to treat you that way. If you don't address these issues with him now (either by talking through it yourselves or seeking professional counseling), it is only going to get worse when your LO arrives. 

When it comes to chores, MH and I try to do a 50/50 split, but he's kind of a slob and I usually end up doing much more housework than he does. We each have our own laundry baskets and each do our own laundry. Granted, his basket is usually overflowing (which drives me crazy), and I occasionally do some of it for him, but it's never expected that I do those kinds of things for him, and he's grateful when I do. I'm not a very good cook, and he likes cooking, so he usually cooks dinner and I clean up the mess. I usually do the floors, dusting, cleaning the bathrooms, etc. because he does a half-assed job and I end up going behind him and redoing it anyway. I also handle our finances, bills, etc. because he's not great with organization or deadlines. But, he takes care of our lawn and boat maintenance with little to no help from me, so it usually evens out. For us, it comes down to individual accountability and mutual respect for one another. He understands that I am his wife - not his maid - and that it's not my job to make sure he has clean underwear or a sandwich for lunch. We are both adults who are capable of taking care of ourselves, so - unless one of us is sick or injured - we would never expect the other to take on such a disproportionate amount of work. We've discussed night feedings/changings, etc. for when our LO arrives, and while we don't know exactly how it will play out yet, we are planning to each contribute as equally as possible to the care of our child. It wouldn't be fair to put that much responsibility on either one of us alone.  

While I don't think it's necessary to have an exact 50/50 split, it is essential to a healthy relationship for each partner to pull his/her own weight, contribute to the relationship, and (most importantly) treat one another with respect. I'm sorry you aren't getting that from your SO and wish you the best in working through these issues with him.
  • kp90kp90 member
    Thank you all. And @swfljd I wish it were that simple. I've told him time and time again if I sat home on my butt all day then of course I would have no issue cleaning, cooking, etc all by myself but like you said that is not the case.. I work full time and am very pregnant. He just doesn't seem to get it or care. It's always a 'suck it up' attitude. I asked him why he can't do simple things that he complains about... like clean the microwave or vaccum or lint roll the couch if theirs dog hair present, etc. His answer was because he did not make the mess and they are my dogs, not his. -_- my conversation literally did not get us anywhere last night when it comes to house work... but I will try again. He did wash both our vehicles over the weekend while I did all the inside stuff so I was grateful for that. But I need the help during the week inside when I am exhausted. I'll try talking to him again after this weekend when I go home for my shower. Maybe this little break this weekend will do him some good.
  • @kp90 prayers sent to you and your family. It's admirable that you're choosing to stick it out! I would remind you that it took your husband a lifetime to get this way, and one conversation isn't going to fix everything at once. It's good that you know and recognize when a conversation is unproductive so you can both chip away at the problem. 
  • @kp90 I don't think the "the dogs are yours" excuse is fair. When he married you, the dogs became his as well. In my opinion, anyway. My DH always says our dogs when they're being good but when one of them is bad, they're my dogs. lol