July 2022 Moms

Baby names!!!

124»

Re: Baby names!!!

• @novaghost99 we kept DD1’s name a secret bc we didn’t want peoples opinions of our choice. We live in the south so we got a lot of “HoW aM i SuPpOsEd To GeT tHiNgS mOnOgRaMeD!?!?” 🙄 

Keeping the name secret is a solid choice if it feels right for you!
  • @oli9 Thats so crazy that she just kinda assumed youd like the same name she did however many years ago! I sometimes think family forgets that the baby is ours and what we decided to name him/her is our decision. Like unless I ask for name suggestions please leave us be. You may not like what we choose but you gotta respect it!😅 

Thank you, we love that it's different but still sounds like a name!
  • Loading the player...
  • @mjane215 I think Liam Elliot is adorable and pairs really well with Madelyn! I think it's more if you like it enough to take a chance he might have other kids in his class with the same name.
  • @mjane215 I love all 3 of those names but I agree that Liam is really popular right now. I begged my husband to let us name this baby Rowan but it's a no-go from him. 😔 I also really like Nolan, and he vetoed that one too. I also like that it's not super popular right now.
  • @mjane215 One thing to keep in mind is that there is such a variety of names these days. A #1 in popularity today is not the same as it was years ago. For example, in the 1980s, Michael was the most popular name, with 3.65% of babies in the US being names that. Now if you consider Liam, it was #1 in popularity in 2019, but only 1.08% of babies were named that. So just because it’s number 1 doesn’t mean that there will be a ton of kids named Liam in the same class.

I adore the name Liam btw. It was definitely top of our list for our son (who happened to be born in 2019 lol).

*TW* TTC history
    Me:32 DH:31
    Married: 8/2015

TTC #1: 4/2017
    Testing: HSG, U/S, BW, and DH's SA all normal
    DX: Unexplained
    8/2018: Clomid + TI = BFN
    9/2018: Clomid + TI + Progesterone = BFN
    11/2018: Clomid + IUI + Progesterone = BFN
    12/2018: Letrozole + IUI + Progesterone \\ Cancelled due to cyst
    1/2019: Letrozole + IUI + Progesterone = BFP! \\ EDD Sept 30th, 2019
    10/7/2019: Healthy baby boy!

TTC #2: 12/2020
    2/2021: Letrozole + TI = BFN
    3/2021: Letrozole + TI = BFN
    4/2021: Surprise! Natural BFP! \\ EDD Jan 6th, 2022 \\ Chemical, betas not rising
    8/2021: Letrozole + IUI + Progesterone = BFN
    9/2021: Letrozole + IUI + Progesterone = BFN
    10/2021: Letrozole + IUI + Progesterone = BFN
    11/2021: Letrozole + IUI + Progesterone = BFP! \\ EDD July 29th, 2022

• oli9oli9 member
    edited March 2022
    So we thought we were dead set on a name for our baby and we’ve been calling her by that name for weeks now, BUT, if you teachers think you have it hard finding a name that doesn’t immediately make you think of someone in your classes, try naming a little girl after you’ve worked in strip clubs for two decades! 😂😂😂 It’s SO HARD to find a name that a stripper hasn’t taken! We were so lucky to find and agree on ‘Amelia’ for our first daughter together and no stripper had taken that name in the club we worked at together at the time, phewww… BUT the name we agreed on for this baby, Angelina, I LOVE but we both were reminded that a crazy, drunk, cocktail waitress named ‘Angie’ worked with us and she was a complete mess and when my husband figured out that ‘Angie’ is a nick name for Angelina he was immediately turned off to the name. So now we are at square one, although I still love Angelina. ☹️

The next name that we both really like a lot is Ana, pronounced Auhna, but two things… do you think people will pronounce it Anna because I’m not a fan of Anna, but I do love Ana. And we can’t figure out a middle name that goes with Ana. Any suggestions? Our last name is Oliphant (I’m not worried about that privacy, don’t worry we both worked in strip clubs for heavens sake 😣) 

HELP ME. *no strippers we knew were ever named Ana so we are good there.😆

*EDIT to say I swear this is real life and I’m not a weirdo troll. LOL. These are my real life issues. 
  • I have a friend named Ana and she does get called "Anna" when people only see it written. If she introduces herself, though, people don't call her the wrong name on purpose. It's just a quick correction and done 🤷‍♀️ I think if you like the name, then go for it. I am saying this as someone who has a French-spelled name and has had it mispronounced about a zillion times, too
  • A lot of names are open to mis-pronunciation. But as soon as you correct people, they don't normally screw it up again. Just keep saying it "auhna" and it should stick pretty easily. 

My middle boy is named Nikolai. I REALLY did not want to nickname Nick, so I pushed Niko super super super super hard. Now no one even knows his real name is Nikolai, including him  :D Even his doctors call him Niko. So I also wouldn't worry so much about the "angie" nickname. Just push a different one and you should be ok. 
    Hubby and Me
    Friends since 2008
    Started dating: July 1st, 2013
    Engaged: July 1st, 2014
    Married: July 1st, 2016
    R born: July 8th, 2017
    N born: June 30th, 2019
    Baby #3 Due: July 7th, 2022
    (maybe I only ovulate in October XD)
  • oli9oli9 member
    @tuxielove93 and @flikyerbik thank you! Im still going to push for Angelina because I just love it so much and maybe explain to my husband what you said and we can push to make people only call her by her whole name and not use a nickname, or maybe use Lina as a nickname… it’s going to take some convincing but I prefer Angelina over Ana because of the constant correcting of the pronunciation of Ana, however my husband is now in love with Ana so I might be stuck. I saw that there is a spelling of Ana to ensure the correct pronunciation, which is Ahna, but I’m not a big fan on how that spelling looks. 🤦‍♀️ *sigh. 
  • @oli9 I was just about to say I'd push for Angelina with lina for a nickname. Ana is cute too but you'll definitely have to correct mispronunciations. I have a French name with an accent aigu and the only people that ever pronounce it the "correct" is my mom and her french family and my Iranian friend. My Anglo dad doesn't even say it properly and he and my mother named me! 🤣 I don't correct people though so I'm just used to it.

I'm a little wary of this upcoming little one having a French name for mispronunciation sake too but it was a compromise between names for my husband and I. He liked Taryn (which I've only ever know girls with that name) and I like Théodore or Toryn so we settled on Théoren (pronounced "Tharon" if you say it with an American English accent and "thay-oh-ren" in french -so weird to try to spell how to pronounce it in french. Lol). He'll probably only ever be called the French pronunciation by my mom and her family but my husband insisted on "Tharon" being spelled Théoren solely because he liked the way it looked (and his grandpa delivered Theoren Fleury -the hockey player)... I told him it would be pronounced "Theeron" or "Theo-ren" if there was no accent because the é makes the e say the "ay" sound. He says "french is stupid" 🙄 Meanwhile he married a French person 🤣..  C'est la vie!
  • cmhmecmhme member
    @oli9 So I have recently started working with someone named Ania and i have fallen in love with it. Maybe thats different enough from Anna for you? And you kinda say it like its spelled so maybe mispronounced less?
    Our Journey:
    Me: 40
    TTC since 2017
    3/18-9/18- IUI's
    11/18- IVF #1
    1/19- IVF #2
    8/19- DE Cycle #1- 5 PGS tested normal
    9/19- FET #1- SUCCESS! May 2020
    10/21- FET #2- SUCCESS! July 2022
  • oli9oli9 member
    @cmhme I went to high school with an Ania and I love it too! I mentioned it to my husband and he does like it so it’s a possibility if I can’t get him to agree on Angelina. 

@peppylilfoxy I really LOVE the name you’ve chosen for your baby , but when I look at it, I do pronounce it wrong initially like ThEoren, which I’m sure he will get throughout his life but it’s such a cool name it’s worth correcting people all the time. Very strong name! I love it. 
  • @peppylilfoxy

I am also bilingual and love French names! I live in a French community, my son will be attending French Kindergarten in the Fall. One big thing we keep talking about is if we choose a name that might end up pronounced in French for his whole life - are we ok with that? (Our older son has a French middle name on purpose)  The big one we are debating is "Simon" - love the name, but are we ok with the French version being used by his friends/teachers/etc. for a lot of his childhood? I'm on the fence! I'm not sure if that would bother him or not, and it's impossible to know in advance, right?

We have made ZERO progress on names. My husband is convinced it will just sort of "come" to us, whereas I am actually feeling stressed about it. Current list... that just keeps growing instead of being narrowed down :/

Simon
    Read
    Rowan
    Winston
    Miles
    Wren 
    Wyatt
    Paxton 
    Davis 

Our older son was almost "Harrison" but since Meghan Markle used that as a middle name I'm nervous it will become SUPER popular in the next few years so I have mixed feelings about that. It's gotten to the point that every time I talk to my husband about it we add more names so I am sort of not even wanting to talk about it anymore!

Is anyone else struggling as much as me with the name? I feel like we are making backwards progress, just adding more to the list every time we talk about it! aaaaaaa would love to hear what all of your favourites are from our list so maybe I can start narrowing it down a little. 

• oli9oli9 member
    @courtneyqdk I am struggling! I wasn’t a few weeks ago when I thought we had a name set in stone, but that damn cocktail waitress and her sloppy twerking at the bar got my husband and I back to our original (very short) list. We really want to stick to an A name but so far we only have Angelina (which is off the table for my husband because of that damn waitress) and Ana as contenders and we’ve got Juliet as a name we also like, but we think it’s going to become really popular soon so we are on the fence about it. I love Alana but he thinks it’s trashy sooo… yeah struggling!! 

From your list I LOVE Miles. It’s so sweet. How would you pronounce Miles in French? I also really love Simon but yes I can see how the French pronunciation may bother you and him. It’s actually a beautiful pronunciation but as a little boy I can see why it might bug him. 
  • @oli9 thanks! I don't think Miles actually has a "French" pronunciation so it would be a good one to ensure it is pronounced the same way all of the time. 

I love Juliet, if that helps at all! A touch of vintage but also the child can pick a more modern nickname if they prefer (Julie, Jules, etc.) so I think it is very versatile! 
  • @courtneyqdk We are 100% in the same boat. Our list is like 2 pages long lol and just keeps growing! We didn’t pick DS’s name until the last month or so of pregnancy (also a French name!), so I’m expecting this one to take just as long. No names are really calling to me right now. We just need to keep trying them out (new one every week). Love Simon and Winston!!!

@oli9 Love Alana as an alternative to your Ana situation. We’re also considering Juliet, but I’m still on the fence about. I hadn’t considered it becoming popular soon… But I can definitely see that!

*TW* TTC history

4/2021: Surprise! Natural BFP! \\ EDD Jan 6th, 2022 \\ Chemical, betas not rising

• oli9oli9 member
    @LJMoon6 I was actually inspired by you to consider Juliet. I hope you don’t mind! It’s such a beautiful name! I LOVE it. Ever since I saw you were considering it I kept an eye on the name and now I feel like I see it everywhere but it could just be in my head. It’s such a good name. I’m not a fan of Julie as a nickname but Jules doesn’t bother me. 
  • @oli9 I don’t mind one bit!!! It’s a beautiful name! It’s like one of those things where you get a new car and then you start seeing it everywhere you go lol. I’m the same way with Julie. Hate it. I don’t even like Jules much because that was my cousin’s nickname for Julia. But if we were to use the name we would pair it with Jean, so her name would be Juliet Jean with nickname JJ. But I’ve come to terms with us likely not using it. It just doesn’t give me that feeling, if you know what I mean.

*TW* TTC history

• @courtneyqdk my cousin is named Simon! Lol, I prefer his brother's name though (Benoit). Out of your names, my absolute favorite is Miles! It was actually on my list too at one point. I taught an adorable little guy named Miles back in England and just fell in love with the name!
  • @LJMoon6 I'm glad others are in the same boat!

Interesting everyone is loving Miles - that was one of my favourites last time around, but husband wasn't a big fan and I had a close friend use that name for her son who was a born a little earlier than mine. This time around, husband is liking it more so maybe it is becoming a front runner... Hmmmmmmm. 
  • We decided on Charles (Charlie) Alastair  :)