September 2021 Moms

The Great Big Questions Thread

Re: The Great Big Questions Thread

• edited March 2021
    Has anyone felt movement yet? I’m 11 weeks today. Last night I sneezed and felt a little flutter right after...... it caught me off guard because I’m 75% positive it was fetal movement and I didn’t feel anything with DD until probably 14/15 weeks! This feels super early!
  • @runningonindie possibly!! My DS2 I felt very very early! I want to say it was around 11 ish weeks abd was definitely fetal movement and not gas. He was a VERY VERY active baby... oh wait he’s 3.5 and still a very very active kid 😂 never has slowed down!

• Loading the player...
  •  I felt fetal movement with DS1 at 17w and with DD1 at 13w. With DD it was more of a “fish in a bag” feeling vs actual kicks. I think it has to do with where the baby is oriented in your uterus and the baby’s activity level. Also if you don’t have much body fat you sometimes might feel the baby earlier. I’ve been feeling things at 11w after I eat but I can’t for sure tell if it’s baby or just my guts!
  • @runningonindie I CAN'T WAIT to feel movement! With my first I think it was around 17w, and I haven't felt anything yet with this one, though I hope I do sooner than 17w! When I get my NT scan this Friday I'm going to ask what position my placenta is in, and confirm where my uterus is currently located. I want to focus on the right spot!

ST+Ms: What are your feelings/plans about registries for not-first babies? I'm working on a private babylist already because I want to go pretty minimal with supplies for this baby, and want to make sure I'm thinking through each item before we start buying anything. We didn't keep much from baby #1. I don't anticipate ever taking my registry off the private setting, and would just like to get the free sample box/use the completion discount. I may make a couple private registries to find the best prices/discounts.
  • @mybigfatgreekfetus yes fish in the bag feeling is literally exactly it!!!! Definitely not kicking. It was like the “quickening” that I first felt with DD but earlier this time. Wild!! I do however have plenty of body fat 😂🥰 

@Aerialmrs I plan to make a private minimal registry as well. If things settle a bit with covid by late summer I may decide to do a small “sprinkle” and ask that people bring diapers instead of gifts - however I am fortunate to know that a few people like my mom and my aunt will want to buy us something physical, and there are definitely a few things that I want to change from what I had with DD (like a carseat for example because I hated hers) - so I’ll make a small registry and either buy stuff myself or pass it to the close family members who ask for it. 
  • @runningonindie my body fat is in my butt, so maybe I’ll feel things early? Haha!

This is baby #3, but also a surprise, so I got rid of a ton of stuff since DD as born. I’m registering for a bunch of stuff, but I’m not planning on having a shower or anything. I just like getting the discount from Target and Amazon! Mainly I need a double stroller and a new car seat, since my old one was from DS and is expired. I’m also going to register for children’s books (also for the discount) since I’m trying to build the family library. I want to raise my kids to be readers! And (selfishly) I love children’s books, especially the ones I read as a kid!
  • @Aerialmrs I’m doing secret registries for the discounts and coupons! I don’t need much honestly other than some smaller diapers
  • ageaagea member
    I actually hadn’t even thought about a registry. But I do have a small handful of things I’d like for this baby. Like the baby bjorn bouncer (should have got for number 1!) and a pack n play to contain baby on our main floor now that we’re in a house.
    I still have a ton of stuff from the first two boys. I’m sure I’ll buy a couple special outfits but we need very little as my older two are 2 and 4.
    also thinking about a Snoo. Is it a big learning curve? Or worth it? We’ve always used the halo.
  • @runningonindie I have felt some movement. I feel it once a day for a few days and then nothing for several days. Then it catches me off guard the next time I feel it. This is my 7th pregnancy getting this far and I have a posterior placenta. Even with an anterior placenta I have felt movement that was for sure fetal movement by 13 weeks. It wasn’t consistent until closer to 16 or 18 weeks. 

@aerialmrs I always make a registry. Not for people to buy me things but specifically for the completion discount. It’s worth it for that discount. Also, people may ask you if you have a registry. Just because it isn’t your first baby doesn’t mean people don’t want to buy you anything. I think it’s tacky to throw a huge party but if someone close to you wanted to throw one for you I even think that’s fine. I will likely get a little shower with this baby because one of my mom groups does it for all the board members of that group. They know I don’t need anything so they may get stuff for me and not even the baby. I don’t care either way, I just love hanging out with all my friends. 
  • I'm making a registry but I basically just use it as a list of things I'll need.   And like @emeraldcity1214 said the completion discounts are great.  It's also great to take advantage of prime day sales, which I believe is in June. 
  • @Aerialmrs I started an amazon registry because we gave away all our baby stuff. I've had some offers of getting stuff back, but figure if I have a list of what we need, it'll be easier to keep track of stuff. I've taken a few things off already since friends have offered us specific things. I figure whatever is left, we can use a completion discount on. 

I was underwhelmed by the Amazon baby box this go around. 

@agea I have friends that rented a snoo. They were a big fan of that model because then if your kid doesn't respond to it (theirs didn't really), you can just send it back. 

• Yes to registry and it’s my third. I won’t make it private but I won’t be sharing it. I know there are people that will want to gift and will look it up on their own. My main reason is price shopping and the completion discounts!
  • @runningonindie I have started to feel little quickening movements too! I'm 13 weeks...I notice most when I'm using the doppler, maybe baby is trying to swin away from it  :D
  • @runningonindie I was trying to remember when I first felt movement with DD and I think it was 16/18 weeks so I don't expect anything for a few more weeks.

@Aerialmrs I already have registries set up for Target, Walmart, and Amazon.  They are basically for the gift bags and completion coupons.  I really don't plan on sharing them with anyone. 

Pregnancy Ticker

• @Centralmnmom that sounds about right. I think I was around 15 weeks with DD. This seems super early but I swear it has been happening when I sneeze it’s the craziest thing!!!! 
  • I didn't feel movement with DS2 until around 16-18 weeks so I'm not expecting anything anytime soon, but I can't wait to feel those little flutters! 

I use a registry as list for myself and also for the completion discount...I have one set up at BuyBuyBaby and Target now 
  • @runningonindie That’s weird that you feel it when you sneeze. I likely wouldn’t feel any flutters when sneezing. I’m usually sitting still when I notice it. 
  • @emeraldcity1214 it’s right after I sneeze. When I’m sitting still. Same thing happened with my daughter but later. Exactly, actually!
  • There have definitely been times in the last week where I think I feel the baby move.  However until it becomes consistent and obvious I don't really count it.  As far as I know it could just be gas bubbles. 
  • @CanadianGamerMom I don’t know about others, but Amazon will let you put literally anything on a baby registry and you’ll still get your completion discount 
  • I’m overweight but I swear I’ve felt some random movements already (I’m 12+3), just like you all have described. I think cause baby is still fairly low, like before my belly fat really starts 😆🤷🏼‍♀️ When I was pregnant with my first, I felt movement around 13 weeks and I was like 60lbs less, but I didn’t know what true movement felt like, as I do the 2nd time around. 
  • @mamabearks1012 I don’t think having more fat will keep you from feeling movement. That’s awesome that you have felt it! 
  • kissyfir1586kissyfir1586 member
    edited March 2021
    So, I just scheduled my covid vaccine appointment for next week, and then found out that our family was directly exposed to someone with covid (our neighbors/best friends who I babysit for). Ugh 😫. My husband was the one with direct contact to the person who tested positive. Now I'm wondering if we need to isolate the family from him, or just assume we all have it?  Has anyone been through this? How did you handle it? We are supposed to wait 5 days from the date of exposure to be swabbed.
  • @kissyfir1586 I’m not sure how it works vaccine wise but my son was exposed at school and we didn’t know for 3 days so couldn’t really separate anyone. I was tested and was negative 🤷‍♀️
  • @whatabout2ndbreakfast yeah I keep thinking it seems silly to isolate my husband. The exposure took place yesterday and we slept in the same bed last night. Its probably overkill... I guess I'm just extra anxious because of the pregnancy - my mind is on overdrive now. Hopefully it all turns out to be nothing!
  • @kissyfir1586 Could you call your public health unit and ask? When I was tested last summer, I was told to isolate from my husband, but I was showing symptoms (and it turned out not to be Covid anyway) so might be different... 
  • @sawasap I told DH to quarantine in the basement till I can call and get guidance.  Poor guy. 
  • @kissyfir1586 if they were hanging out in a non socially distanced/non masked way then I would probably isolate just to be safe
  • @kissyfir1586 Since the exposure was so recent I would say isolate him until it's at least been 5 days and he can be tested, and keep yourself away from others in the meantime as well. If he does end up getting it, then it's not likely he would have been contagious yet last night, so you could potentially avoid it still. I'm sorry you have to deal with this!! Hopefully all of the extra precautions will turn out to be overkill and you will all be negative!
  • @kissyfir1586 I just had my vaccine on Wednesday, and they ask numerous questions about potential exposure. I’d see if your husband tests positive and reschedule if he does. If it were me, I wouldn’t want to get the vaccine if I had a chance that I had an exposure. Of course that’s your choice depending on your comfort level! I got the Pfizer and had no side effects from the first shot other than a sore arm. I was very emotional afterwards. A bit of relief, a bit of worry, and a bit of excitement for some normalcy in the future. 
  • @Aerialmrs thanks, yes we're isolating my husband in our basement till we can all get tested Monday. You're right, he might not have been contagious yet when I was exposed to him, so we're playing it safe. It's been weird having him isolated from the household, but we're managing by video calling each other from separate rooms. I told him I'd bring him a bucket and some rations of bread and water 😂 .  It's all so strange. 

@mybigfatgreekfetus good to know! I haven't cancelled my vaccine appointment yet, but I'm afraid I will probably have to. I'm going to wait and see what our test results are, then call the vaccine center and ask what to do.  Luckily I was able to get the first vaccine appointment pretty easily, so hopefully if I reschedule it won't be a pain.

Crossing all my fingers and toes for clear test results Monday 🤞🤞

• For those of you who have been to a MFM and a regular OB for an ultrasound, is it different at the MFM office? I’m going for the rest of my ultrasounds for this pregnancy and for some reason I’m a little nervous. I don’t know what to expect. Anything I should know? They told me the NT scan was going to be a 2 hour appointment. 😳
  • @emeraldcity1214 two hours?! that seems like a lot from what i remember last time mine didn’t last much longer than the average ultrasound. my findings with MFM was that they had better machines than my regular OB. Enjoy it! Such good peeks at the baby at MFM. oftentimes including 3D. 
  • @emeraldcity1214 I was told my anatomy scan at MFM would be about 2.5 hours for the twins

Pregnancy Ticker

• @runningonindie I have gotten 3D at all my US appointments with my regular OB which has been nice. I’m hoping they do it there too. I may be scheduled to see the actual doctor too. That’s the only thing I can think that would make it such a long appointment. 
  • @emeraldcity1214 - mine took about 2 hours. You go in and complete additional paperwork, the US itself takes 20-30 min depending on how quickly they can get measurements and if baby is cooperative, blood drawn with nurse and waiting for OB to review US and then talk with you about any concerns, etc. 

M14 January Siggy Challenge: Resolution I have no intention of keeping...SHOPPING LESS!

TTC: 8/13; BFP: 9/11/13; EDD: 5/15/14
    DD Born @ 40+4

image   image image image image
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• @gutsysneakers ah that makes sense see I had my blood draw at a separate time/location. I remember the US being about a half hour for Nuchal and about 1 hour for Anatomy Scan.

@emeraldcity1214 that’s amazing I’m so jealous! I don’t even get ultrasounds at my regular doctor. They have one rinky dink machine that they use if really necessary otherwise they send me (within the same group) to the imaging department or MFM depending on the circumstance. I always prefer MFM. 
  • @emeraldcity1214 I miss getting 3d ultrasounds. My old OB practice did that, but they closed this summer so now I only get the regular 2d ones

Pregnancy Ticker

• @runningonindie and @Centralmnmom I actually get emailed photos and this last time a video of baby moving. She really goes above and beyond. I am a little worried I won’t get the same cool things at the MFM that I have gotten used to. I was only suppose to have the fetal echo there and now they are doing the rest of my ultrasound for this pregnancy. The most important things is the results of each US so I’m not too worried but I have just never been so it’s more of me just not knowing what to expect.