September 2021 Moms

Baby Names!

Re: Baby Names!

• @emeraldduchess I totally agree with teaching ruining names! I'm a sub on leave but sooo many names lost their charm by the 1000+ students I taught in a year or two.  Same with popularity, we both loved Sophia but after having a class where 3/6 girls in it were Sophia/Sophie (and all the other classes' Sophia's as well) I refused. Same with Isabel/Isabella. Ironically in the end we copied the spelling of one of my students' names for DD instead of using the regular spelling.
  • @sleepydaze I am waiting for a few more years down the road when I have a ton of students named Katniss, Kahleesi, and other pop-culture inspired names. Currently we have a lot of Avas, Sophias, Olivers, Bellas, and Liams. 
  • Loading the player...
  • @sleepydaze it’s a lovely name but my older son has a Sophie and Sofia, my younger son has a Sophie in his class. And my SIL just named their daughter Sophie.
    Growing up, my name was this level of popularity so it makes me sensitive of bestowing it on my kid too.
    no joke, when I started my first job at a small company I was called “(my name) #3”
  • @agea I have a unisex name and I don't think it ever made it to top 10 yet somehow it was popular at my smaller high school (approx 400 kids). Two of them shared the first initial of my last name and one of those girls actually also had the same middle name to further add to the confusion. Sometimes attendance got really confusing lol.
  • I cannot even wait to do this part again! I have 2 boys and their names coordinate and I have a 3rd boy name ready that works in perfectly. I also have a girl name I’ve loved for eternity!
  • @arrowmama love well coordinated names!
  • @williams-jen Unbelievable! I love how their nicknames didn’t stick. 
  • @emeraldduchess we did the fake names thing with a few family members who just would not quit asking us about our son's name, to the point where one would say "wait, what are you naming the baby again?" as if we'd told him and he'd forgotten. But we also didn't 100% decide until he was here. 

Also, I love the name Liam but didn't use it precisely because it's so popular right now. I grew up with the 3 Jennifers/Sara(h)s/Jessicas in every class and would rather not have my kid sharing a name with a dozen others at school if we can avoid it!
  • @lmcw my high school graduating class was full of Caitlyns (with several different spellings), Meghans, and Jennifers. We also had a few Lindsays. 

We plan on using my MIL's name as a middle name for a girl. My mom hates her own name and told me she'd kill me if I ever used it in any form. 😆

• My son's name is Jackson George. We knew the middle name before the first and I instantly loved the alliteration. 

If we have a girl I've always loved Avery. Of course that means my kids would be Jackson and Avery (a Grey's Anatomy character) but I'm ok with that! 🤣

For another boy, right now I'm liking Chase or Miles.
  • @deziraywatt My mom hated the name I picked out for my first daughter. Complained about it even after she was born. 😑 She kept telling me she was going to call her Rosy because her middle name is Rose. Yeah, she tried but it never would stick. I was so livid. 

“What do we call him?” 

The name he was given! That’s what you call him! 

I don’t share names with anyone anymore because of my mom. She ruined it for me. I knew she wouldn’t like our son’s name either. Of course she had negative things to say when I would list off names and have the chosen name on the list. 🙄

WTF seriously? I am livid for you. That is ridiculous.

I'm glad it never stuck, and don't blame you for holding that name close to you and not sharing it out because of that.
  • I also need some naming overlap advice...

Our top boy name for years has been "Liam". DH is the oldest in his family and his younger brother just had a baby and named him William. They have been calling him "Willie" or "Will" for short, and I doubt they have ever even considered using "Liam" as a nickname, but I'm still concerned it might be too close... Thoughts?

Also, for some context, DH is one of 11 kids and they are all soon to start having kids. If we try to avoid all overlap in potential nicknames, we might never settle on names anymore...
  • I wouldn't even consider that an overlap honestly! William is far more likely to be shortened to Will, Bill, Willy, or Billy, than Liam. 
  • @JustAnotherUsername16 I think of William and Liam as seperate but related names rather than Liam being its nickname (so not the same name). 
  • @JustAnotherUsername16 I think you’re safe if they aren’t using Liam as a nn.
    I’d go for it.
  • @JustAnotherUsername16 I’d go for it too. I don’t think it’s too close.
  • Thanks, ladies! I'm feeling a lot more comfortable with using it if it comes down to it. We would also likely reach out to our BIL/SIL to double check with them too. They are pretty chill about this stuff.
  • I feel like I'm opposite to everyone here - we have like 6 boys names we would use in a heartbeat, and all of our girls names we're kind of on the fence about. Maybe its cause we have 2 girls already, but even with them we weren't set on a name early (with #1 we changed her name the night I went into labour). 

I'm torn between Weston and Miles for if its a boy. #2 would have been Miles and I still love it, but the husband has come around to Weston which I also love! So tough.
    For girls, we have 2 fairly classic style girls already, so I wouldn't want to go too modern. But, we have a long last name so I also want to keep her first name relatively short so she doesn't have to spend an hour spelling out her name to the people at the bank on the phone lol.
  • @JustAnotherUsername16 I would never think to use Liam as a nn for William.   I think you are fine :smile:

Pregnancy Ticker

• We’ve started looking at names. There are 3 girl names that we both like (Billie, Emilia, Lily), but not a single boy name we can agree on yet. Not even one that we’re both sort of meh on, but could live with. We’ll keep looking but FX right now for a girl so we both like the name 😂
  • @sawasap Amelia is my top girl name too.  Lillian (Lilly for short) is DH's.  Boy names our front runners are Wyatt, Issac

Pregnancy Ticker

• @Centralmnmom Wyatt was my top boys name but my husband doesn’t like it at all. And all “A” names are out because we hyphenate our last names and they both start with “S”, so it’s Emilia instead of Amelia for us!
  • @Centralmnmom my son's name is Isaac. 
  • @JustAnotherUsername16 We kept the name of our last baby a secret from everyone but my husband put our calendar on the fridge and put his due date on there with his name. My MIL stayed with us for nearly 2 weeks and never noticed it until I had actually gone into labor. So she saw his name before we could tell her. Ironically, she would never have anything negative to say about a name I picked out. Even if it was really really awful. She would never even hint that she didn’t like it. 
  • We’re going to be screwed if we have a boy lol We can’t agree on a boy name to save our life. Girl names we’ve kinda talked about Alice, Natalie and Kenna. 
  • @emeraldcity1214 sounds like a GREAT MIL!
    That’s how everyone should react!
  • @sawasap omg I love Billie! I've had it on my list for while, I've been a fan since watching Offspring, she suits the name so well. DH doesn't love it as much i do though. Sometimes I wish I could just name my kids without his input  :D
  • @sawasap omg I love Billie! I've had it on my list for while, I've been a fan since watching Offspring, she suits the name so well. DH doesn't love it as much i do though. Sometimes I wish I could just name my kids without his input  :D
    My niece name is Billie Joe :)
  • @nasalot188 I’m about 90% sure that he suggested Billie because of Bill and Ted but I like it so it’s fine 😂
  • @emeraldcity1214 we kept our daughter's name a secret until she was born too.  Glad your MIL didn't say anything!

So last night DH was suggesting names and he seriously said Angel was on his list.  I'm sorry if this offends anyone, but all I can think when I hear that name is "Please welcome Angel to the stage."

Pregnancy Ticker

• @Centralmnmom I always think of the character from "Rent" when I hear that name. 

• Bumping this up to ask:
    what type of namer are you?
    Will you have a name decided before the hospital?
    Will everyone know it? Will you already have baby gifts emblazoned with a name?
    Will you have a short list to decide when you see baby?
    or are you so indecisive that you’ll be ready to leave the hospital before you’re ready to pick a name?
  • And answering my only topical question-
    with DS1 we had a top name picked out for both sexes.
    with DS2 we pretty much knew but I wanted to wait to “confirm” it once we saw him.
    We’ve never told anyone either name.
    I have no idea how it will go this time but I’m guessing we’ll know the sex and keep talking names till we arrive at a top 1 or 2 before delivery.
  • We had my sons name picked out 100% at around 7 months.  We didn't tell anyone until he was born.  We will probably do the same this time. 
  • @agea With our first we we decided on his name late 2nd tri, and we weren't going to tell anyone. Then DH let it slip to his mom, so we felt like we also needed to tell my parents. Then he let it slip to a friend, and my dad let it slip to his friend *facepalm*

This time we're team green, so we can't totally decide on a name early anyway. I'd like to go in with a couple options for each gender, and decide when we meet the little bean. AND NOT TELL ANYONE THIS TIME, lol.
  • @agea love these questions!
    With both kids we have been team green.
    For DD, we had a "that's the one" girl name and 2 boy names we brought to the hospital. DD's name wasn't actually our favorite girl name but I have to admit, she suits the one we gave her so well!
    For DS we had narrowed the name down to the previous favorite girl name and a favorite boy name. 
    For this one, the old favorite girl name still seems to be our top contender (Ariel) and then we haven't even bothered thinking about boys, as I think we'll be starting from scratch. 
    We never tell what names we've picked out in advance; I've never heard of that ending well for anyone I know. However once I did tell a random gr 3 class I was substituting for the names since I figured they weren't gonna tell anyone I knew!

• what type of namer are you? The very indecisive kind... 
    DS1 we kind of had a name, then changed it when we saw him. We were team green and didn’t have a girl name picked. We didn’t tell anyone because we didn’t really know what names we liked.
    DS2 we picked the name Theodore, told people, and I even bought a T for his room. Decided at some point close to the end that I didn’t like the way I was pronouncing it and ended up naming him something else. That didn’t start with a T. LOL! 
    So not too sure about this baby. We were solid in middle names with DS1&2 though, we used our dads middle names.

• This is baby #1 for us, so I can’t answer these with complete certainty but I think I have a pretty good idea! I have a feeling we are going to be super indecisive. But also very picky (that ones more me than DH). Probably will go into the hospital with like 2-3 names for each (we are team green). And we for sure don’t plan on telling anyone the options! I was not thrilled with my MIL/FIL’s reactions to when my BIL announced what they were going to name their baby. So now they ruined it for everyone and no one gets to know lol 😂 plus then no one feels like we are opening it up for “voting”.
  • @agea These are such great questions! 

With our first, we were super decisive. Like, had a girl name and boy name 100% picked out before the anatomy scan decisive. When we found out she was a girl, her little profile in the ultrasound was SO cute that the name we’d chosen seemed to fit perfectly. No second-guessing ever, we told everyone, and were totally committed.

This time, however, I feel really indecisive. We have a boy name mostly settled, but I don’t like any girl names as much as our daughter’s name. The ones I do like are either too popular (ex: Charlotte—I love it, but it’s Top 10 here) or I already know my family hates them. I can’t keep big news a secret and my mother, who is usually wonderful, literally winced at one of our choices, even though our taste is pretty traditional. Nothing seems right yet. I’m hoping once we know the gender, it will get clearer.