September 2021 Moms

Baby Names!

Re: Baby Names!

• @kissyfir1586 ugh sooooo annoying. Sorry. I would probably just ignore ignore ignore and as you said give a short non-answer. I dealt with this a lot from a good friend during my first pregnancy. 

@feelingjovani I love Hattie!!! I know a Hattie and she is the sweetest cutest little toddler. Great name. 
  • @kissyfir1586 Is this her first grand baby? Sounds like you may have a pushy MIL. I had to put some serious firm boundaries down with my MIL when I had her first bio grandchild. She was acting like a maniac. She kept sending me research articles about why I should do this and that. To the point she was insistent on what kind of shampoo I used on the baby. Then she was scheduling flights every other month from Alaska down to the Nebraska, without asking us. 😳🤨 She brought me a parenting book because she said she didn’t like the parenting style we were using. She even brought a vaccine book and lectured me for 3 hours about what vaccines I should and shouldn’t give my daughter. She asked me which ones she was getting at her well visit that day and I told her I don’t know but she is getting them all and then I walked out of the room. It finally blew up at her first bday. She was visiting for a weekend and she was getting crazy about what I was saying was ok vs what she wanted. I don’t mind confrontation and I set my foot down firm. I told her she needed to back off. She then told me to F off. I went straight to DH and he and I decided right then and there she wasn’t allowed for another visit without the supervision of my FIL to keep her inline. She didn’t visit again for a year. 

It’s been 6 years and she is very respectful of our wishes, space, and boundaries. During her last visit my baby started coughing while he was eating and she shoved her finger down his throat and I was livid. I told her if she ever did that again I would rip her finger right off. Granted, I said it in a way that sounded like I was joking but she knew I was serious. 

My point is, if this is her first grand baby, set some boundaries now. Don’t wait. 

• Loading the player...
  • ageaagea member
    @emeraldcity1214 are you from NE?
  • @kissyfir1586 yikes. My MIL is convinced we are having a girl and keeps referring to her as "Lucy" (we're team green and Lucy is not on our list). Luckily she is just joking! That's crazy that she gave you an actual list. I really hope you can get her to back off before she starts monogramming stuff and telling everyone she picked the name. 
  • muggsdmuggsd member
    edited April 2021
    @kissyfir1586 oh boy that’s a situation! Honestly when my parents/in laws suggest names it turns me off of that name - I’d hate for one of them going around bragging that they picked the name of their grand baby!  I usually just say “we already have a list picked out” even if we aren’t settled yet. 
  • @agea No, we lived there for 3 years while my husband was in residency. I’m originally from the South. 
  • @emeraldcity1214 yikes that sounds like a bad situation! Glad you were able to set some boundaries with your MIL and that it's become a healthier relationship. This will be my MIL's third grandchild, and it's odd because she didn't act this way with my other two. I think it's because this is the first girl, so she's maybe overly excited? She's definitely a quirky person...very up and down. She can be pushy in some ways but in others, not at all. Like, she had very firm ideas about our wedding (she had an idea book about that prepared for me as well), but never actually tried to force those ideas into action. I honestly think she's just sort of bored and wants to be involved, she just has a weird way of expressing herself.  But I think you're right, healthy boundaries should be set if she persists.

@emeraldduchess lol scary thought, because she loves to sew, so monogramming things might not be too far off!   

@muggsd yes, me too! As soon as she sends me a name, it totally turns me off of it. I like your idea though. Maybe I'll just switch from "thanks for the suggestions" to "we've decided on a name, and are keeping it a surprise until she's born. (Wish I would've thought of doing this first!) 
  • ageaagea member
    Does anyone have a child with two middle names? H is pushing for it this time. Curious if it’s more complicated from an admin or paperwork POV?
  • @agea Not my kid, but I didn't want to lose my middle name when I got married and took my husband's name. But I also knew my workplace is antiquated and changing my email from being based on my maiden name would be a nightmare. 

As a kid I went by my full first+middle name. So I made both of them my first name, my maiden name my middle, and DH's my last name. 

Professionally, I go by just one first name, middle/maiden, last name. But legally I have two first names. 

Naming rules vary by state, so you might google it. 

The biggest headache is making sure things like medical records and taxes are written out correctly. 
  • Ladies, looking for opinions.

The girl name that we keep circling back to is Emilia (Emmy as a nickname). The thing is that my husband's coworker's daughter is named Amelia. He works really closely with this coworker but they don't have a personal relationship. Do you think this would be weird?
  • ageaagea member
    @sawasap if it’s *the* name, I don’t think it should stop you. It’s a popular name so not surprising that you’d know someone else with it, true for SO many names.
    If he can get over it, I would go for it!
  • @sawasap I don’t think it’s a problem! It’s not even technically the same name! Beautiful choice! 💕
  • @sawasap go for it! I don't think it's weird at all!
  • @sawasap I don't think it's weird at all....There are quite a few teachers/admin at my school who have kids with the same names... My principle's son is names Asher and that didn't even cross my mind as an issue when we decided to name our second son Asher. I would think twice if it was a close friend but not a coworker
  • @sawasap I think it’s totally fine. It would be different if you also considered this coworker a close friend and hung out with them often outside of work. 

The convo we had this time was I liked the name of one of my husbands coworkers (not their kid). I think it would have been fine to use cause he doesn’t work with her that often, but he found it weird. 
  • This little guy is going to be nameless lmao. I decided I don’t like the name I picked before. I need something that is a little longer to sound good with the boys names and can’t find anything I like 😂 is it weird to have two kids with long names (8-9 letters) and then one with a 4 letter name?
  • Also struggling to name boy #3!! We have a list going but neither of us really agree or are willing to budge lol 

I have a Lincoln and River, both names i love love love. Its so hard to find a 3rd that I feel as strongly about, seems impossible.

I'm really pushing for Milo which is currently my top choice, but hubby isn't convinced. 
  • 2 more weeks before my husband will even begin to humour name choices!  I'm getting antsy! He has told me that if it is a girl he wants her to have his mother's name as a middle name.  With our first I was set on having my late-fathers name as our son's middle name.  I almost find it easier to figure out the middle name first and find something that flows with that instead of the other way around. 
  • ageaagea member
    @whatabout2ndbreakfast depends on the style. It can work but totally depends on the names.
    like if you’ve got a Lorenzo and Giovanni and this ones Todd, might be weird.
    but I also think you can make it work.
    I could see something like Sebastian, Theodore, and Hugo not feeling mismatched.
  • @agea we’ve got an Alexander and a Nickolas lol so I’m not sure where to go 😂

my dad sent me a list of names... legit suggested Lester and Leroy 😂 and my half brothers name?? No to all those
  • ageaagea member
    edited April 2021
    @whatabout2ndbreakfast what is this short name you’re considering?
    and do your two older boys go by Alex and Nick?

i think these are traditional names that another of the same style would fit even if shorter!
  • @agea they go by Nickolas and Xander, although at some point I think Nickolas will want to be called Nick- I know they call him that at preK sometimes. I like the name Cody. I’ve been tossing around Frederick (going by Freddie) which I feel like would fit and is a family name. I also like Samuel and Brooks. DH has no ideas 😫
  • ageaagea member
    I really like Frederick and Samuel and Brooks with the other two. (But I personally live Freddie!) And even Cody doesn’t necessarily feel mismatched but I see what you’re saying.

I think these could also fit your style based on what you’ve mentioned: Elliott, Gabriel, Maxwell, Benjamin, Theodore, Nathaniel, Thomas, Christopher, Zachary, Emmett, Everett, Wells
  • Thank you @agea! Xander was actually almost a Theodore. I like a lot of those you mentioned, esp Emmett and Maxwell and Benjamin
  • @agea @whatabout2ndbreakfast I had a huge crush on a Maxwell when I was in high school. Which sucks cause now I love that name but I’m not naming my baby after a guy I used to like! (His sister is good friends with my sister and our families have known each other for years - everyone knew we liked each other so they’d find it weird too haha) 

that being said, Maxwell is a great name! 
  • Emmett is our boy name so I am biased towards that!! Based on our conversation in the Sex Thread, who knows if I’ll ever have a boy! 😂
  • We are stuck on - Isaac, Isaiah, Elliott, Ian, or our out there name (that I love and DH is not on board for) - Blaise! Isaac and Isaiah have been on our boy lists for DS1 and DS2.... DS2 was actually supposed to be Isaiah up until about 36 weeks . The middle name is set as Joaquin (family name) My top is choice is Isaac and DH's top choice is Ian and neither of us are budging... 
  • Any help with middle name suggestions? I think Jane is our top name I like Jane Elizabeth but because Jane is one syllable I feel like it would sound better with a two syllable middle name. It's just the cadence of saying it that sounds better in my head but I can't think of many two syllable middle names. 
    *TW LC*
    Me & MH: 32
    DS: 6/1/18 (Pre-E; IUGR; seizures; NICU)
    TTC #2: 12/2019
    Sept 2020: HSG possible blocked right tube
    Nov 2020: Letrozole + TI - BFN
    Dec 2020: Letrozole + TI - BFP!!! EDD 9/18

• Jane Marie 
    Jane Taylor
    Jane Morgan
    Jane Emme
    Jane Lauren/a/ie
    Jane Mary
    Jane Callie

• @chewie5990 I like Blaise! I actually know a Blaze lmao my sister used to date. I like Ian Joaquin too! 
  • @whatabout2ndbreakfast DH and I both grew up very Catholic and while we don't really practice anymore we still really like names rooted in Christianity. Blaise is a catholic saint - most commonly known as the Saint of throats but he is also the Saint of wild animals (which fits our brood of wild boys and love of the outdoors, camping, etc.) I also knew a Blaise when I was a kid and have always wanted to name my kids that...DH isn't 100% sold though. 

We always do family names for middle names and Joaquin is DH's uncle who passed 2 years ago - I'm so happy we get to honor him and it's a bonus that I actually really like the name!  
  • ageaagea member
    @krash_ love Jane! It’s my middle too.

Here are some fun two syllable ideas
    Jane Arden 
    Jane Willow 
    Jane Violet
    Jane Ryan
    Jane Esme
    Jane Ivy
    Jane Alice
    Jane Lizbeth (to knock out a syllable!)
    Jane Elise

I also like the longer combos too tho like Jane Elizabeth or
    Jane Annabelle
    Jane Catherine
    Jane Margaret

it really depends on the style you’re looking for...? Something traditional or something punchy?
  • @agea Jane Esme & Jane Ivy both sound so good! 
  • @agea @krash_ I love all those combos. Jane Elise, in particular, sounds so sweet!
  • @chewie5990 *dirty lurker* We grew up Catholic too, and have actually come back to our faith in a very real way since having kids, and all over again it seems since 2020.  I agree with PPs, Blaise is not "out there" at all! Imho I was going to say, it's actually super Trad lol and if you start running in those circles, he's bound to meet another one, and then you can turn to YH and say, see!  It's not weird at all! Lol

IDK how many syllables are in your LN, but to my ear I might prefer the three syllable ones (Isaiah Joaquin, Elliott Joaquin), but I am probably still ultimately biased toward Blaise Joaquin, which I think is seriously THE COOLEST NAME EVER.  But they are all solid choices right there.
  • @krash_ our #1 girl name is Jayne Kathryn right now! My husband loves Kathryn as a first name but my good friends mom just passed and she was a Katherine. I didn’t want to seem like we were trying to honour her by naming our baby the same name less than a year later. I’ve always loved Jayne so this is our compromise :) 
  • @agea I love all those suggestions! Jane Ivy and Jane Elise are sticking out to me. I also love Alice but that got vetoed by MH because he has an aunt named Alice so Jane Alice would be a nice compromise. 
    *TW LC*
    Me & MH: 32
    DS: 6/1/18 (Pre-E; IUGR; seizures; NICU)
    TTC #2: 12/2019
    Sept 2020: HSG possible blocked right tube
    Nov 2020: Letrozole + TI - BFN
    Dec 2020: Letrozole + TI - BFP!!! EDD 9/18