November 2019 Moms

The Great Question Thread

Re: The Great Question Thread

• @SunnySkiesToday mine broke in the hospital and not until my last cervical check around 10 cm.  The same happened for my sister and my best friend, both had it happen after laboring for a while.  Regardless, it’s a good idea to get a waterproof mattress pad, I found ours for a good price at Marshall’s!  It came in very handy for middle of the night diaper changes and leaky boobs during the first weeks at home with baby 🙃.  Like the others have said, you usually do not need to go in right away when it breaks, but call your doctor.  Last pregnancy I was group B strep positive so I was instructed that if it did break to go to the hospital immediately to start antibiotics, but I think otherwise the doctor makes the call depending on your situation.  
  • My water has broke 3 times. Every time it has been a trickle and not a gush. The first time I was on my couch, the second time just getting out of the shower, and the third time I got up to go to the bathroom early one morning. 

When your water breaks, the last thing you’re going to be thinking about is whether it left a mess. 
  • Loading the player...
  • @SunnySkiesToday - I was in that 10% group and like you I had fretted about mine happening in public.  I actually stopped working 2 weeks before my due date because I wasn't comfortable with the idea of it happening at a client site.

Mine was everything out of a movie in terms of a gush it happened about a minute after getting up to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night.  Clean up was just towels but what I was not prepared for was for the water to not stop.  Since mine was a gush i essentially just kept leaking so heavy duty pads went on my list for the next pregnancy (and adult diapers) Definitely had to have towels handy with my hospital bag so that I didn't soak through my husbands car seat.  

That being said my second pregnancy my water wasn't broken until I was 9 or 10 cm dilated at the hospital and about ready to push so it was a non-issue there.  
  • I went to the ER very much in labor (after they had sent me home a few hours earlier). They rushed me to a triage room, and the second I stepped in, my water broke in a gush. So I was in a good place for that to happen; we didn't have to clean up the car or anything. DD had pooped in the womb, so the water was brown and disgusting. I wasn't expecting the amount of water, or (like @Dancer688 said) for it to keep gushing with each contraction.

But, as others have mentioned, most women don't have their water spontaneously break, and if it does, it's often a constant trickle. You don't have to go to the hospital immediately, and labor will likely be slower as a FTM. I know it's easy to worry about that (it was one of my top concerns, too!) but try not to sweat it.
  • I'm worried about my water breaking while I'm teaching, so I feel you!  I plan on wearing at least a light pad once I get close to avoid too much embarrassment.  As for the bed concern, you can always lay a plastic bag with a towel on top under your sheets to protect from the water (we do this for my Grandma who often pees the bed).
  • edited August 2019
    @Lark2013, that's my fear, too! I work part time as a substitute teacher and I don't want to freak out the kids. Fortunately, the class I sub for the most is a biology/ genetics/ medical class (wouldn't that be quite the lesson,  LoL!), but the other classes...
  • @ABabyMarshall glad you asked the question about stained clothes! I was diligent about  washing and storage but after 3 years of being in storage many of the little onsies came out with yellow stains from spit up. Mostly the white stuff so no huge deal and going to soak them in oxiclean as well and use the sun to see what we can get out. Since they were wear around the house ones the first time around im not too worried about getting them super clean. Im sure this one will just add to the stains.

At the question about newborn/0-3 month clothes,  everyone told me NOT to get newborn or 0-3 months and it would be a waste of money. So i only had a few when we brought a 6lb 9oz baby home. First night we were home my husband had to go out to get diapers (we didnt buy ANY newborn sizes and only had the pack from the hospital) and a couple of outfits. Due to feeding issues she stayed smallish for a long time so she stayed in newborn and 0-3 month for a lonnngggg time. 

Also, we have a mattress protector on our bed. I would recommend investing in one now so if your water does break or baby kicks your bladder in the night you are protected. I also used it postpartum cause things were just messy and it made me feel better to have the mattress protected from any thing that was leaking out of me. It has also come in useful when baby and now toddler has snuggled with us. Once we  started night potty training our 3 year old we put it back on to protect from when she joins us middle of the night. It is well worth your investment in my opinion.

For the water breaking, I had a pinhole leak that eventually got plugged back up but it just felt like I was consistently trickling pee out for awhile. Went to labor and delivery and since it stopped and labor wasnt starting and the amniotic fluid levels were still good, they didnt do anything. OB said baby probably rolled over and blocked the leak. They broke my water (with what I swear on everything looked like a freaking huge crochet hook) and when they broke it and I stood up it was literally what felt like a never ending gush. I felt so bad I was trying to clean it up and the nurses kept telling me it was fine. I said I felt terrible for making a mess on the floor. Haha! So i definitely dont want it to happen in public but also, majority of people are NOT going to care and they will just be excited a baby is coming. Most public places someone has thrown up or done some other biological mess and none of that is nearly as exciting for people as an expectant mothers' water breaking. If my water breaks in public at the grocery store or something I would probably just send a card with a picture of the new baby and thanking them for their kindness (and clean up!). Im pretty sure most places would be happy. :-)
  • @purplefan1 good luck! We did a soak last weekend and some stuff came out like new but some still had stains that faded at best. Like you said, they will just be kicking around the house clothes so I'm not too worried. We went out during the soak and went over the 6 hr max time and there was definitely some color leeching from the fabric so be careful of that.

I was going to try to be frugal and try to use as much of my son's clothes as possible for baby girl but after getting a load of what they have for little girls OMG 😍 
  • I finally caved and got on the computer because trying to reply on the phone is awful. I can't find half the threads, or it doesn't load. 

My question ---  I'm having twin boys (YAY) but I am freaking out. I have 3 girls already, and I haven't a clue about little boys. I know some things but I think I'm just getting super anxious, and my anxiety is at all time high. Also, 5 kids. Can i do this? I'm freaking out! I'm beyond thankful for my little miracles all 5 of them and I know I will eventually get it. Everyone I know keeps telling me their twin newborn stories including strangers. I think this is making my anxiety even worse. I'm not sure I even put a real question in there but moms of boys any tips? Moms of twins any tips?
    DD born 8/12/11
    DD born 10/3/14
    DD born 10/10/16
    Twin boys due Nov '19
  • @ABabyMarshall yeah I have a girl at home and good luck restraining yourself. So many cute things!! Im actually going by Carters today for their sale. I figure since I dont know what Im having with #2 and we have tons of baby clothes any way, I wont buy anything until baby gets here. So little girl is getting some fall swag! I love dressing her for fall with the adorable layers.  Overalls are headed our way this week and I.CANT.WAIT

• @Jlp12314812 thanks for coming back to check in!! I'm glad it seems your pregnancy is going well twins are Soo special. I don't have anything too valuable to offer you as far as advice for twins but boys are easy!! Love up on them just like you loved up on your girls, just don't let them pee on you 😜 It won't be easy but you'll find your groove I'm sure. 
  • BNBTBNBT member
    @ABabyMarshall I used to always think there were so many cute boy clothes until I had my daughter first! Now I can never find anything for this little guy but my daughter keeps getting more clothes with all these sales 😂
  • My water broke when I was at work at my desk.  I hurried to the bathroom, and it was trickling.  Drove myself home (will make sure to have a towel in my car this time!), then waddled about the front lawn for awhile.  I didn't want to make a mess in the house.  I tend to have a lot of amniotic fluid.  They tested my fluid when I got to the hospital, and there was maconium present.  Baby and I both needed antibiotics upon delivery.
  • Has anyone dealt with polyhydramnios (high amniotic fluid) before? One of my twins had it today during my sono with the MFM. It was measured using the Single Deep Pocket method. The Dr didn’t make a big deal about it (said she will just keep an eye on it) but google and the fact that it’s twins (and baby B, which seems to be trickier during delivery) has me freaking out a bit...
  • @ABabyMarshall thank you! I try to stay up but the app doesn’t load half the time or when I put a reply it doesn’t actually send it. 
    Ive kept updated with everyone’s progress. I cannot believe we’re getting so close to delivery day for everyone. 
    DD born 8/12/11
    DD born 10/3/14
    DD born 10/10/16
    Twin boys due Nov '19
  • Anyone else dealing with kidney stones? I’m prone to them but this is the first time having them while pregnant and it’s taking twice as long as normal to pass them. I’m miserable. 

Ps sorry for being mia lately. The app hates me and I’ve been away from my computer this summer to spend intentional time with my kiddos. 

• @Texascat I had poly with my last (and I suspect with my first but undiagnosed). I had no issues but was monitored more closely once they found it. 
  • I just wanted to thank you all for the great info and stories on water breaking, that really helps me have a better idea of what to expect!
  • Another question:
    How long do your typical OB visits take (especially right now)? I feel like my OB visits are very rushed sometimes (maybe every time?) but I keep telling myself it is just my perception. I haven't calculated exact times yet; not really, anyway. I might at future visits, though. Do any of you feel the same way?

(I'm supposed to meet one of the other doctors at my next visit, so maybe I will see if that one seems as hurried?)
  • BNBTBNBT member
    @SunnySkiesToday Mine are typically pretty quick right now unless I have questions. They are basically just checking my weight, bp and baby's heart rate and if its all good I'm done. But if I have questions, my doctor doesn't rush me and spends as much time as needed listening/answering. 
  • My visits are usually very brief. Same as @BNBT
  • My visits are typically brief too unless I decide to just break down in tears like yesterday. Or if I have any questions. Poor doctor pretty much gave me a therapy session. 
  • Have any of you recently stopped nursing your previous baby? I stopped at the beginning of July and I swear, my boobs are huge now and I keep having letdowns all the time. It happens when I laugh, cry, shower, etc. I tried to express to see if they are still making milk and they aren’t. It’s just colostrum. I don’t think I have had this happen during any other pregnancy. 
  • @SunnySkiesToday - Mine are usually in and out in 15 minutes.  That being said, if you feel rushed speak up.  There is actually a policy that the doctor is supposed to sit down when they ask you if you have any questions so you don't feel like you should be rushed.  That being said, once you get to the weekly visits the visits get slightly longer just because I think that is around when they start checking cervix and dilation.  

@emeraldcity1214 - I stopped nursing this past January (so recent in that I only had a month before body sharing again with baby boy)   AND YES.  I never lost the "full" feeling because I became pregnant so I feel like I just retained so I still have days where I feel heavier there.  My first trimester in particular I was definitely still leaking but now I don't leak anything but the colostrum.  Wishing you luck, I know my emotions were definitely haywire while my body was stopped the production.  
  • @SunnySkiesToday Mine are usually around 20-30 minutes depending on my questions - last week was close to 40 minutes bc I too needed a mini therapy session. My OB usually spends a few minutes asking how I'm feeling and then explains what to expect coming up that month in terms of me, my baby, upcoming milestones, things to think about or tests. Then he asks if I have questions and I usually end up rambling for a while. I'm a FTM so I feel like I have a ton of questions. During that time he'll check baby's heartbeat.

There was once when it was maybe 5 mins long but my OB had to go to a delivery and wanted to make sure he checked all the vitals and answered any super pressing questions. That was rushed but I didn't mind. 

I'm sorry you feel rushed. That's such a frustrating feeling. 

• The total appointment is usually about 30 or 40 minutes, but that is from going into the room to getting paperwork to leave and includes vitals, checking in the the diabetes management nurses and seeing my OB. My OB is in the room 10 to 15 minutes I would say.  I have noticed it is shorter this time than first pregnancy, probably because I don't arrive with a list of questions.  

She asks how I am, answers questions, checks in on the baby with the portable ultrasound, and maybe talks about upcoming milestones, then out the door. 
  • @dancer688 I have nurses through half of all my pregnancies except for my first 2 and I have never felt this. She still asks to nurse too. She will bury her head in my chest to fall asleep. It’s cute but I don’t think that’s helping with the letdown situation. 
  • @emeraldcity1214 - So cute though!!! Although not helpful to you :P

I miss the nursing cuddles.  <3
  • @Dancer688 I just hope she gets past it before the baby gets here. I’m sure she will but she is very serious about her nap and bedtime mommy snuggles. I still rock her though. Not always to sleep but we still sing lullabies and rock. It’s our special time. 
  • @emeraldcity1214 I have not nursed in over 2 years but the "let down" sensation I have had through the last two months has been wild! I did not experience this in my first pregnancy. 
  • @bmmims that’s interesting that you’re having it and haven’t nursed in awhile. Our bodies do some strange things. 
  • edited August 2019
    @ladyninagold ask your OB about the nitrous ... I heard it takes the edge off.
  • Talk to me about Charlie Horses... I woke up the other night with massive Charlie Horses in both calves. I literally cried out it hurt so bad. Had them again last night. Any remedies or am I just doomed to have them without warning in the dead of night out of the middle of nowhere?
  • Sorry you got a Charlie horse they can be terrible. Other than hydration, I've read that drinking pickle juice can be great for cramps which, depending on what you like, might sound awesome or awful. 😜 Hope they don't continue for you
  • @pintobean77 I also think making sure you are getting enough potassium will help.
  • @pintobean77 magnesium supplements!! That’s what my OB suggested and haven’t had any since... something about the build up of calcium in the muscle... I dunno but it works!
  • Supplements and stretching! Make sure you are stretching often especially before bedtime 
  • @pintobean77 I second the magnesium!  It is best absorbed through your skin so taking epsom salt baths or using a magnesium sale spray on your body can help.  With the spray, you spray it on clean skin, let it sit for 20ish minutes, then rinse it off.  It is kind of a pain but it does help!  I’ve read about it on this site as well as a few others so hoping that helps you too: https://wellnessmama.com/5804/magnesium-oil/
  • Question for STM+ moms (or anyone really!).  Are there any newborn/parenting books you would recommend?  I know no book is going to be the magic bullet - but if there is anything that would help prepare us, it would be great!  I'm on hospital bedrest so plenty of time to read now...
  • I loved the book and app The Wonder Weeks. It talks about typically developmental leaps in babies and how they respond to those leaps. It was pretty accurate with ours and would help us make sense of overly tearful, fussy, clingy stages. It gave us hope when we thought the constant crying and nonstop need to be held was our new norm!