August 2019 Moms
Options

Inappropriate Comments/Questions Thread

2»

Re: Inappropriate Comments/Questions Thread

• Options
    @deecherise I didn’t know you suffer from a diagnosis of Infertility. I was under the impression that pregnancy happened for you within the normal range of time and was the reason your friend mentioned it. My apologies. 

It sounds like you’re upset that your friend hasn’t acknowledged the pain you experienced last year and maybe you felt like her comment, though about something separate, minimized that. I hope that the two of you can work it out. Hugs. I’m sorry again for assuming. 
    People think we become mothers when we give birth but the truth is we become mothers the moment we start calling our babies to us in our thoughts, dreams and prayers. Some paths are short and some are so long that you can easily forget where you were headed.

How I feel all of the time.
    My 7 Year Journey ***Tw in spoiler***
    IVF
    IVF #1 - September 2018; Follistim, Menopur, Cetrotide & Lupron/HCG combo trigger; PGS; ICSI
    Back on Levothyroxine
    FET #1 - October 2018; cancelled, all PGS aneuploid
    FET #1 - November 30th, transferred anyway
    Wondfo BFP 5dp5dt, CB Digi 6dpt, 
    1st Beta on 7dpt 93
    2nd Beta on 10dpt 510!

TTC #1 since 2011. Tried for 5 years before we knew there was a one year rule.
    Diag w/MS 2016; w/PCOS & IF 2017
    New RE 2018; PCOS diagnosis taken away, IF due to ovary adhesions, but prev. RE insists PCOS IF

IUI
    IUI #1 July 2017 w/100mg Clo+trigger; BFN; benched w/big cysts
    IUI #2 October 2017 w/50mg Clo+trigger; BFN; benched w/big cysts
    IUI #3 February 2018 w/5mg Femara+trigger; low P
    BFP February; mc March; Subclinical hypothyroid started Levothyroxine 
    IUI #4 March 2018 w/7.5mg Femara+trigger; BFN
    Medicated cycle & TI April 2018 w/7.5mg Femara+trigger; BFN
    Tried several cycles on our own; all BFN

• Options
    It's cool, @suzycupcake. I don't participate in the infertility threads because I haven't struggled in the same ways (e.g. trying for years with a supportive partner)  and doing so would feel inauthentic to me. I wasn't trying to get pregnant when it happened. To be completely honest, I was bottoming out of a spiral where I wasn't taking care of myself at all because I wanted to die. This baby literally saved my life.

I have PCOS with some minimal ovarian scarring, diagnosed by ultrasound. Prior to this pregnancy, I believed I was completely anovulatory because I tracked for almost a year with no signs of an LH surge. I think this pregnancy happened due to a combination of God having mercy and my doc putting me on Metformin for insulin resistance. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @deecherise first hugs, glad you are in a better space mentally. 

Second, I wouldn’t call what I’ve been through comparable to infertility, not claiming that at all. But, my DH and I tried for about 9 months this time, and we found out he was a type 1 diabetic. I really think that is why we had a delay in conceiving this time too. 

• Options
    @database6 that's fair. I'm not necessarily attempting to claim infertility, because like I said, I didn't struggle for multiple years. But I do have impaired fertility, and thus I do get what it's like to have trouble conceiving, feelings of jealousy, etc. I just didn't appreciate the justification for being treated like crap by someone I thought I would have support from.
  • Options
    deecherisedeecherise member
    edited January 2019
    Never was trying to say it was the same, just that I'm not completely clueless about how it feels. 

ETA: 

I do think it's interesting though that the initial response post was justifying what was said--when that hasn't happened to anyone else who was posting hurtful things that were said to them.

We're all currently pregnant. Am I really somehow less deserving than those of you who've struggled with IF because in your eyes, I haven't struggled enough? What's the threshold for being worthy of motherhood? Would you honestly welcome comments about your level of deserving at this point, now that you're currently pregnant?

All I ever said was that the comment was inappropriate and hurtful, and that the person making it knew enough about me to know that it wasn't fair to make those comments. I'm frustrated that this thread has turned into a hyperfocus on that one comment.

ETA 2

Nevermind, I have enough stress in my life without adding this. GBCB, I wish y'all the best.
  • Options
    @deecherise Should she have said those comments to you? No, and one one said she should have. What was said was ladies who have struggled with IF understand what she was feeling and where those comments came from. No need to GCGB. We are are here to support one another and share different perspectives. We can all move forward. 
    *TW*
    TTC 1/2012
    Diagnosed : unexplained infertility
    6 rounds of IUI and a MC 2/2014, rainbow twins 4/2015
    TTC #3 5/2016
    Restarted Fertility tx
    IUI 2 rounds, baby girl 12/17

• Options
    edited January 2019
    @deecherise Pregnancy is definitely not the time for the pain Olympics. We've all have different struggles & that's ok. I'm sorry she made hurtful comments to you. She is obviously coming from a place of personal hurt, but it doesn't mean it was nice to hear. 

Although now I'm not sure if you're  GBCBing us overall or just this thread.
     deecherise said:
    Never was trying to say it was the same, just that I'm not completely clueless about how it feels. 

ETA: 

I do think it's interesting though that the initial response post was justifying what was said--when that hasn't happened to anyone else who was posting hurtful things that were said to them.

We're all currently pregnant. Am I really somehow less deserving than those of you who've struggled with IF because in your eyes, I haven't struggled enough? What's the threshold for being worthy of motherhood? Would you honestly welcome comments about your level of deserving at this point, now that you're currently pregnant?

All I ever said was that the comment was inappropriate and hurtful, and that the person making it knew enough about me to know that it wasn't fair to make those comments. I'm frustrated that this thread has turned into a hyperfocus on that one comment.

ETA 2

Nevermind, I have enough stress in my life without adding this. GBCB, I wish y'all the best.
    Rainbow baby Dean is due 2/17/17!
  • Options
    I am going to be honest and say I think everyone went a little hard on @deecherise. She is allowed to be hurt by that comment regardless of the circumstances.

On the flip side, I have to tell a friend that recently had a MMC and it has caused me so much anguish and anxiety because I have been in her shoes before and I know what it's like to be like, "Omg. You're pregnant? That is.... so... great!" 

This isn't easy, but my therapist made a good point that we can be empathetic but we are not responsible for their reaction. I don't think it's appropriate to lay your bad emotions on the friend that is pregnant, but I also know it's hard to keep it in when you're already going through so much. 
  • Options

This thread has been closed to new posts as a result of the shift in topic. To find threads regarding (this topic), we encourage you to use the search function to post to an active thread or start a new discussion.

Please note that we remove posts that do not follow our guidelines and will issue warnings to users who violate the Terms of Use.

To review our Community guidelines, please visit The Bump Guidelines pinned at the top of this board. Thank you.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"