August 2019 Moms
Options

Inappropriate Comments/Questions Thread

Taken from June BMB. Thought we could share those things our friends, family, and coworkers have said/asked but *probably* shouldn't have.

People think we become mothers when we give birth but the truth is we become mothers the moment we start calling our babies to us in our thoughts, dreams and prayers. Some paths are short and some are so long that you can easily forget where you were headed.

How I feel all of the time.
My 7 Year Journey ***Tw in spoiler***
IVF
IVF #1 - September 2018; Follistim, Menopur, Cetrotide & Lupron/HCG combo trigger; PGS; ICSI
Back on Levothyroxine
FET #1 - October 2018; cancelled, all PGS aneuploid
FET #1 - November 30th, transferred anyway
Wondfo BFP 5dp5dt, CB Digi 6dpt, 
1st Beta on 7dpt 93
2nd Beta on 10dpt 510!

TTC #1 since 2011. Tried for 5 years before we knew there was a one year rule.
Diag w/MS 2016; w/PCOS & IF 2017
New RE 2018; PCOS diagnosis taken away, IF due to ovary adhesions, but prev. RE insists PCOS IF

IUI
IUI #1 July 2017 w/100mg Clo+trigger; BFN; benched w/big cysts
IUI #2 October 2017 w/50mg Clo+trigger; BFN; benched w/big cysts
IUI #3 February 2018 w/5mg Femara+trigger; low P
BFP February; mc March; Subclinical hypothyroid started Levothyroxine 
IUI #4 March 2018 w/7.5mg Femara+trigger; BFN
Medicated cycle & TI April 2018 w/7.5mg Femara+trigger; BFN
Tried several cycles on our own; all BFN

Re: Inappropriate Comments/Questions Thread

• Options
    "Who's the father? It's not your ex, right?"

"It's too early for you to be excited. You don't know how those medications affected the baby."

"Are you happy about this?"

"It's not fair for you to be pregnant when all you've done is sleep with a bunch of guys for a few months, and I've been working my ass off and doing anything and everything to bring a baby into this world."
  • Options
    “Wow, you must have gotten the family gene!” (meaning getting KU right away, which wasn’t true but most people didn’t know we were trying. Why assume it was our first try??)
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    After telling my parents that we had been trying unsuccessfully for a year "oh, so you lied when you said you didn't want a second"
    Me 31  <3  DH 34
    TTC #1 5/13 BFP #3 5/2/14 DD born 1/19/15
    NTNP #2 8/17 BFP 12/13/18 ED 8/21/19
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @deecherise are these friends and family saying this to you?!  I would be so pissed off and upset, I don't even know how you can continue a conversation without punching them or bursting into tears.

My Mom was just here for a couple of weeks and made multiple comments about breastfeeding that really pissed me off.  "So and so's baby is on formula and is sleeping through the night at 2 weeks" was the one that really got to me.  I worked my ass off to successfully BF my daughter and she was a great sleeper at first then around 3 months was up every 2-3 hours until she was 8 months old.  My mom is CONVINCED that it is because "formula fills them up more" even though from 6-8 months I could feed her a legit meal before bed and she would still wake up.  I thought I had educated her the first time around, but it looks like I'm going to be in for the comments all over again. 

• Options
    deecherisedeecherise member
    edited January 2019
    @heml 😂😂😂😂😂

For me, all of the comments except the first and last ones were by family members. The first and last ones were via text, so physical distance saved them.

@suzycupcake I wish I could say I can't believe how insensitive and ignorant people were to you, but I can 🙃

@mkrel unfortunately, yes. It definitely caused some upset and crying, but it was a good push to also cut some people off.

UGHHH I hate when people push formula (or BFing, but a bit less). It's the mother's choice. As long as the baby is getting the proper nutrition, everyone needs to STFU.
  • Options
    my dad: "you know your not Mormon, don't you?" 

@mkrel sorry your mom is making comments. every baby is different. I have had sleepers and eaters... some kids don't STTN till well after a year and this is normal. ugg. Keep doing what your doing.  My mom used to make comments like "your STILL breast feeding?!?" the twins were not even a year yet...
    *TW*
    TTC 1/2012
    Diagnosed : unexplained infertility
    6 rounds of IUI and a MC 2/2014, rainbow twins 4/2015
    TTC #3 5/2016
    Restarted Fertility tx
    IUI 2 rounds, baby girl 12/17

• Options
    @smatt08 I must admit the first comment had me laughing out loud... when my youngest was 3 months a lady at church asked me when I was due... nope not pregnant, just still rocking that pregnancy weight... thanks for making me feel good. WTF to that NP, those are very inappropriate questions.
    *TW*
    TTC 1/2012
    TTC #3 5/2016
    Restarted Fertility tx

• Options
    @ash0625 WTF... that is so rude... if your comforitable with it then you get to talk/share tell the world whenever you want to. That stigma that you must wait till after the first tri sucks. I'm with you on it making me ragey
    *TW*
    TTC 1/2012
    TTC #3 5/2016
    Restarted Fertility tx

• Options
    @heml The first comment was my husband’s uncle’s wife and the last two were my MIL. 
    People think we become mothers when we give birth but the truth is we become mothers the moment we start calling our babies to us in our thoughts, dreams and prayers. Some paths are short and some are so long that you can easily forget where you were headed.

IVF
    IVF #1 - September 2018; Follistim, Menopur, Cetrotide & Lupron/HCG combo trigger; PGS; ICSI
    Back on Levothyroxine
    1st Beta on 7dpt 93
    2nd Beta on 10dpt 510!

New RE 2018; PCOS diagnosis taken away, IF due to ovary adhesions, but prev. RE insists PCOS IF

IUI

• Options
    @mkrel Both of my kids were 100 percent formula fed and the first slept like garbage. She didn't sleep through the night until she was 13 months old. 
  • Options
    I agree, @ash0625. I think that when someone decides to announce a pregnancy should be up to THEM, not what "everyone else" thinks!
    FORMER USERNAME: @runningisrad

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    @database6 the MIL comments smh. 
    Mine has a knack for backhanded compliments. 

So far her only comments have been,
    "what happened to only one child?"
    " how am I not supposed to tell anyone!?! Well I guess it is your decision"
  • Options
    "Are you having a tub birth? Just promise me you're not going to have a tub birth." -Friend right after I told her the news!
  • Options
    @chillycanadian that’s terrible!!!! Good for you for saying that back! I was terrified that I would get a bunch of “when are you going to have another baby” q’s when I saw my extended family shortly after our loss but I have to think my mom must have filled them in because nobody said anything and they typically aren’t shy about personal stuff.
  • Options
    “Just make sure you don’t use being pregnant as an excuse to bulk up. And make sure you loose the weight after the baby is born because it’s not fair to you or your husband if you stay heavy after the baby”  

All the while I’ve actually lost 15lbs since being pregnant due to morning sickness. 😤
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @caz_mama I would totally understand if that horrible person got a huge slap off the face of planet for that! How insensitive!

Sorry about the weight loss and MS, hugs 
  • Options
    @caz_mama 😱😱😱 noooooo. Just no.
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
    @nimo-ad  @jmesue1030  yeah I was pretty much in shock. It came from an older member of my family (70+ years old) so I just let it go at the time. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Umm my bad!!! Not sure how to delete the duplicate posts. Sorry for being obnoxious 
  • Options
    My mom after my telling her about my surprise 4th pregnancy on a Christmas. “Well, I wish you had lost the baby weight before this time...” (my youngest son is 5....)
  • Options
    @mrsbuttercupbev How obnoxious! I would love to know what goes through peoples' heads when they decide to comment on a woman's body/weight, let alone a PREGNANT/STM+ woman's body/weight. 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    Stopped at a relatives house earlier. Learned that another cousin is pregnant, great! She immediately says "She's sick too. You can tell, she looks almost as bad as you do." 

:|:|:|:|:|
    Rainbow baby Dean is due 2/17/17!
  • Options
    @Winchestergirl My jaw literally dropped when I read that. Wow, people can be so rude!!
  • Options
    @jrm_14 I understand her pain, but not her response. 2018 was literally the year my life fell apart (ex-husband left me, kicked out of a lab, etc.), and she knew all of that. So when I discovered this pregnancy, it was (and still is) the only light I've been holding on to.

She has had multiple failed IVFs, and despite the ugly things she said and her failure to own up to them, despite the fact that she's not speaking to me and incapable of being happy for me, I still pray that she will have her take home baby soon.
  • Options
    @deecherise I hope you don’t mind me butting in here to say that you don’t understand her pain since you haven’t lived Infertility. If you did, you’d understand her response. I agree that it sucks she said it to you. 

IVF
    Back on Levothyroxine
    1st Beta on 7dpt 93
    2nd Beta on 10dpt 510!

IUI

• Options
    I'm not going to argue about what I do and don't understand with people that don't know my life. I may not have been through repeated cycles of IVF, but I did have a husband who wouldn't let me try for a baby, and I did try for one on the sly for months until I was told it couldn't happen without medical assistance... to no avail.

So yes, I know what it's like to hear that yet another one of your acquaintances or family is pregnant and wonder why they were chosen and not me. I understand the crushing fear of feeling like you'll never be a mom. I haven't gone through the physical pain associated with fertility treatments, but I have cried at seeing my period start again and again, wondering wtf was wrong with my body. No, I didn't struggle for as long as y'all have perhaps, or go through as much loss, or physical pain. But that doesn't invalidate my path.

I get exactly why my former friend said what she said. But I don't get it given that she knew about all of the above.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"