October 2018 Moms
Options

The Hospital Bag

Re: The Hospital Bag

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Babies bag is all ready....mine and DH however....not so much. I haven't started on ours yet, I know what I want to put in it but just haven't done it yet. After talking to DH tonight, starting my NSTs today and having a history of my babies coming about 4 weeks early...I should probably get on it.
  • Options
    My bag is packed!! DH's though...that's another story.

So far he's really committed to packing a chromecast, card games, and snacks. Trying to get him to pack actual clothes and necessities though...not working out great.
  • Options
    Woohoooo, got my bag and DS’s bag packed last night!  DH doesn’t get his own bag, I just threw his clothes in with mine (which is better than last time, when we completely forgot to pack anything for him and had to have my aunt come bring him
    clothes :grimace:). Feeling so much more prepared now!!
  • Options
    I just pack for DH. So much easier then listening to him complain about what he does or doesn't have. Since I packed it he can't complain to me because he could've packed himself. And I know it wont be over or under packed and what's where etc. Lol 
  • Options
    I packed my bag a couple weeks ago, but just left it in the room. But for some reason my husband kept saying "Don't you think we should put the bag in the car?", like every morning. But he doesn't seem too concerned with packing his own. 

He's going on a work trip next week, so maybe when he gets back he can just change out the clothes and then he'll be done.
  • Options
    @hannaht8516 DH is the one who decided that we should keep my bag in his car.  I guess at least they're worried about us even if they're not worried about themselves haha
  • Options
    am I a naive FTM to assume we would have time to pack during early labour? I mean I have the essentials packed but some of the things I'm still using so was curious..
    Me 33 DH 41
    TTC since 2016
    Due: October 12, 2018

• Options
    @chyvie My dr today told me that if I were to start having labor contractions I'd have 4-5 hours before I'd need to come into the hospital (based on the status of my cervix today). He said if I'm dilated a little more, then it'd be more like 3ish hours. So I think you'll have time, and it might offer a nice distraction.
  • Options
    What types of snacks is everyone packing in their hospital bags? DH isn’t much of a chips/cookies person so I was thinking more along the lines of Kind bars or maybe protein bars? I want to pack something that will sustain him enough if he isn’t able to run to the cafeteria for real food, but hopefully he’ll be able to.
    Me:29 DH:30
    Married:10/2012
    TTC #1: 12/2017
  • Options
    @chyvie - I didn’t have my bag packed even though I intended to pack it several weeks early.  I was mostly planning to have it packed so that if something happened short notice (like I got sent to the hospital straight from the dr’s office - Whoops!), there wouldn’t be a scramble by people to find things I need.  I really wasn’t worried about the “if I go into labor normally, will I have time to pack” scenario.  
  • Options
    @knottieamusements You have a very good point. Luckily I have most of my things packed. just need some clothes for me to come home in, pillows, and last minute things
    Me 33 DH 41
    TTC since 2016
    Due: October 12, 2018

• Options
    Yeah, my biggest thing was just having it in the car in case they sent us straight from an appt. I've had that happen to too many friends of mine.
  • Options
    @sarahzett just a heads up to read over their contract before you let them take photos. Letting the company at our hospital take photos gives them universal rights to use the baby's photo for promotional use for the hospital and to post the announcement on their website. We're declining photos at the hospital because of this. 

@spartan4life I packed granola bars, meat sticks, gummies, candy bars, trail mix.
  • Options
    I'm going to pack the bag tonight we had no snacks last time. Bring food! When I was induced after my drs.appt for high BP she let me go home get my stuff and come back so I didn't have to rush to the hospital. 
  • Options
    All this talk about bringing snacks, I just googled if I should be able to eat normally again (GD) right after delivery and in a lot of cases, yes. I'll check with the doc tomorrow. But if so, I'm bringing some candy!
  • Options
    @spartan4life I have oreos, goldfish, some candy, and I'm gonna throw some of the snacks in there that DH takes with him to work. Gummys, granola bars, jerky, cheezits, stuff like that
  • Options
    Beef sticks and jerky are great ideas.
  • Options
    We declined the photos last time because they get pushy about selling them. I’m there to have a kid, not buy stuff...
  • Options
    So I just wanted to throw this out there in case someone still needs bras. I bought some nursing bras a week or so ago, but they haven’t made it to the bag yet. Today I got an email from Motherhood Maternity and they have nursing bras on sale for $8. I spent about $56 for 2 so I'm thinking to order a handful of these instead. I hope they'll fit well so I can return the more expensive ones.
  • Options
    @ummibtihaj did you check out the selection yet?  Last time I got that motherhood email I couldn't find anything that cheap.  I did end up getting a couple on clearance that were way better fitting than what I was wearing (and out grew) but they're still not without annoyance.  I can't wait to settle into a size and go back to underwires!  
  • Options
    I was looking at the selection yesterday and the one I like, I couldn't find in my size. :(
  • Options
    @KFrob yeah I guess I got lucky. I found quite a few in my size. I hate underwires so it's a double win for me. Sorry some of you couldn't get your size. That sucks!
  • Options
    Also re: nursing bras...if you’re registered at Target and haven’t picked up your baby bag at customer service, go grab it. The coupon book I got has a coupon for 40% off the purchase of two nursing apparel items. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @ummibtihaj Thanks!! I just ordered 3 nursing bras and 3 packs of underwear...all were $8 each. I was going to order some this weekend but might as well order them now when they are on sale. 
  • Options
    Thoughts on whether bringing a nursing pillow to the hospital is worth it? I wasn’t planning to but I saw it on a list. Just seems to big to bring.
  • Options
    @rabtaido1214 I’m bringing and probably leaving in the car. We can go back down to car to get it if needed. I’ve also heard a few say it can be comfortable for mom to sit on during the ride home!
  • Options
    @rabtaido1214 I brought my Boppy last time and will definitely bring it again! I pretty much didn’t go anywhere without it for months. In the hospital I used it as a pillow as well as support for nursing and holding my son. It was a lifesaver especially since I had a c-section. 
  • Options
    @rabtaido1214 also brought my boppy last time and planning to bring it again. Great not only for nursing, but just holding baby in general. Personally, I can’t stand the pillows my hospital uses. As @arome2311 mentioned, also really useful for c-section. 
  • Options
    @rabtaido1214 I was going to bring it, but leave it in the car and see if I need it, along with blankets, etc. for DH to use for sleeping. (lol, but we can pretend, right?)

I'm glad to see other people saying it's useful, I thought I was just being a little crazy bringing  all this extra stuff!
  • Options
    Thanks for all the helpful responses!
  • Options
    @jemmerjams in bringing blankets and leaving them in the car for DH as well! We'll bring in our pillows probably right off but leave boppy in the car?idk yet lol but I figured if he could at least sleep slightly comfortably that'd be good