October 2018 Moms

The Hospital Bag

Re: The Hospital Bag

• I also echo the previous comments about not needing nearly as much as I packed last time! I listened to the lists, but I didnt need nearly that much stuff. We (hubby) just had to lug it all in and then back out. This time, I just plan to bring toiletries (chapstick and hairbrush included), a warm fuzzy blanket (this made my stay MUCH more comfy), comfy clothes for me (including a nursing tank and bra), and a take home outfit (or 2) for the baby. 

@pumpkinpancake I want DH to stay with me too. We have our best friends on call to take our daughter when I go into labor. They have a son the same age as my daughter and they are BFFs, so I think it will just be fun for her to spend time with them and she wont even realize we are not there. If it wasnt for them, my mom would come get her and she loves spending time with her Nana. Do you have someone like that, that can take your LO?
  • Loading the player...
  • This thread has me so excited. Lol I've been thinking about this a lot lately, especially since hitting viability.

Everyone has some really great suggestions! 
    +1 for chapstick, hair ties, phone charger
    +1 for yoga pants. I also wanted to feel secure and I was less worried about making a mess that way.
    +1 for a personal fan! @mamabearcj when I was in labor woth DS I was so hot! Like pouring sweat. The nurse ran and got me two fans and the thermostat in the room was all the way down. SO kept trying to turn it up because he was cold. It was the only time during labor that I threatened home with bodily harm. Haha 
  • sammierose464sammierose464 member
    edited July 2018
    G is due on the weekend we have SS, so if he comes on time SS will stay with DHs parents or my parents. 

Edit: and the dog will get taken to doggie camp, which means I need to get him another bordatella shot before then.
  • @pumpkinpancake DH stayed with me and he’s planning to again. We had our son stay with. His grandparents (both sets!) and he loved it. I insisted he go to daycare and then go to their Christmas party as planned though, just to keep it semi consistent. We were at the hospital for 3 nights (induced Monday night, E was born 4 am Wednesday morning), and we weren’t prepared but we had a key In the diaper bag so my parents were able to get in our house to pack up stuff for him. He stayed with my parents the first night then was with my inlaws the next two nights, one night at home and the other at their house near our hospital. We were lucky that both sets of parents were available though because my inlaws were in back for Christmas (they have a house here but currently live in Texas). This time around it’ll be just my parents but they’re about 20 minutes away and are able to get the kids from daycare or come over pretty fast when we need it. 
  • Oh! I’d like to add that with E, I ended up making two trips to L&D before she was born. One was late night at 28 weeks and one was in the middle of the day (stayed overnight) at 34 weeks. Due to those experiences, I plan to have my bag partially packed at the beginning of next month. And have your arrangements for your other LOs set up already. 
  • @pumpkinpancake I decided to have DH stay overnight with DS when I had DD. I figured enough things were changing for DS and he should at least have us for wake up and bedtime. DH came during the day (sometimes with DS, sometimes not). It was kind of easier that way because then at least one of us was getting s good night sleep lol
    DS  12-1-2014
    DD 10-29-2016
    #3 due 10-13-2018
  • @pumpkinpancake I really want DH to stay with me, but it would probably be better for DS if he was home. I’m thinking DH will spend at least one night in the hospital and one at home. Last time we went to the hospital around mid night Friday, DS was born 6pm Saturday and we were released Monday morning. If that happens again i will see if DH can stay the first night, and go home the second. The hospital is 10 minutes from our house so in our case DH could go home for bed time and then come back. 
  • Thanks for the replies @wolfpackgrl718 @mommy2ane @hellopartyof5! I’m torn about DH honestly. I obviously want DH to stay with me so I’m not staying in the hospital alone, but also want DS to have DH there for bedtime and wake up time for comfort. Unfortunately both my mom and my in laws are on the east coast (and we’re on the west), so I don’t know what the plans are yet for when they’re coming out here to stay, and they may not be here if I go into labor early so I can’t really plan on them to stay with DS. My SIL and BIL live only 5 minutes from us (where DS spends all day while we’re at work), so assuming they’re ok with it, he could stay with them overnight while DH is at the hospital with me, I guess. 
  • Even with our first DH didnt stay over night with me. We have 3 dogs and family is 2 hours away so he would sleep at home and go back a couple times a day to let them out. It really didn't bother me at all.

This time we will probably do the same. MIL is on call to watch DD, but she has 2 dogs of her own and lives 2 hours away so she can't stay to watch ours.
  • We did a trial run when we took our babymoon in May.  The kids stayed with grandma overnight for 5 nights and they were a-okay.  They are actually there during the summer so they are more than used to it and grandma has a whole area set up for them.  Hopefully it will only be 1-2 nights max.  I like DH to stay with me and baby to make some decisions and hear options if needed.  Also, its a great bonding time for dad also the first few days since he'll go back to work a week after.  We don't have pets to worry about so that does help.

My mom will bring the kids to visit once we're settled.  I think DS2 will have trouble going home and leaving us in the hospital but we should be home soon after. He's going to be my little helper - he's great with babies and is just so naturally caring.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers   Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • ummibtihajummibtihaj member
    edited July 2018
    @pumpkinpancake I'm not close with my family and my in laws live abroad. Dh will have to be home with our kids unless my 19 yr old daughter is free to help out. He was home with our last baby. I was induced on 10am on a Tuesday, she wasn’t born until nearly 4am the following day so he missed the birth. I would've liked for him to have been there, but it couldn't be helped. 
  • @pumpkinpancake I torn about DH staying with me this time. When I was induced with DS2, we dropped DS1 off at camp then went to the hospital. My sister picked him up and stayed with him until we got home from the hospital. My sister works for the school system so she was off since DS2 was born in August. DS1 will  be in first grade this year and I really don't want him to miss any school because I'm in the hospital delivering DS3. My inlaws have offered to help and take DS1 to and from school but they're always late. They can't do anything on time and who knows what time DS1 will actually make it to school. I'm considering having DS1 spend the night at my inlaws and DH leave the hospital to take him to school and DS2 to daycare. I've also thought about him spending the night with the boys and dropping them off then coming to the hospital. 
    DS1: 8/2012 <3 DS2  8/2017 <3 DS3 10/2018 

• Sorry for taking this thread slightly off topic from the hospital bag discussion! I probably could have posted this in the questions thread instead. :flushed:

@mommy2ane yeah, we’ll definitely have a conversation with my SIL to work it out with them in advance, if that’s what it looks like we’re going to do when this one is born. Last time my water broke in the middle of the night, but I’m hoping this one comes during the daytime instead! 
  • DH stayed overnight with me when I had both girls, and will again this time. They’ll stay with their grandparents, which is a huge treat for them so I don’t foresee any ill feeling toward their little brother about it.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • tlmilltlmill member
    DH stayed overnight with me with both of the other two. This time I told him to just stay home with the kiddos so I can get some time alone hahaha 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • DH stayed with me when DS was born, and I can go either way this time. I know he was uncomfortable sleeping in the hospital, but it was so nice having him there the whole time. I think for us it will depend on how that day goes down and who stays with DS. If my in-laws can make it down in time (they live 5 hours away) and the new kid is born at night, it would make more sense for DH to stay with me. DS is super comfortable with my in-laws so no worries there. I think that the main thing for me is having DH there for most of the time, but if he would be more comfortable sleeping at home then that’s fine. 
  • Z will be with my parents. H is not allowed to leave my side. Lol. He stayed with me the whole time with Z and he will again. I know the couches suck, but I'd be upset if he left. His time with the kids is so limited, I at least want him to get a solid chunk of time with them when first born.

E will be 18 on July 24th
    Z was born October 16, 2016
    #3 Due October 9, 2018

MC - November 29, 2012
    CP - November 15, 2014
    D&C for MMC - October 13, 2015

• @chopchop25 did you get a regular robe or a 'delivery robe'?? 
  • @mamabearcj I got a delivery/nursing robe according to the site
  • I got a nursing robe from pink blush when I was pregnant with DS. I love it! Of course I cant find it now. 
  • Ahh here is the pink blush post!!  @chopchop25 how did you get one to $12? Lowest I saw was $26.
  • @SweetSweetTooth type in extraextra for a promo code and It took off another 50% when i bought mine last night 
  • The only one they have for plus size is kinda ugly to me. :( But I am going to Motherhood today
  • @sammierose464 if you find anything at motherhood that you like check their website while in the store. If the online price is lower the will match it (or so a store associate told me) 
  • KFrobKFrob member
    edited July 2018
    okay, so here's my possibly dumb question.  What the h-e-l-l makes a "delivery" robe different from a robe?  

ETA or "nursing" 
  • Damnit, @mamabearcj! It's expired.
  • Oh no!! I should've posted last night I'm sorry!!
  • I'm irrationally upset that I didn't know beforehand hahaha
  • Thanks for all the pointers ladies! I am normally an overpacker so I will make sure to only take the real important things and I will try not to forget about DH, luckily he can sleep anywhere when he is tired aince I don’t think our hospital has a husband bed. 
  • @mamabearcj they do have a current code for 20% off your entire order...SUMMERSALE (and it works on clearance, too)
  • Sorry for the delay in response @SweetSweetTooth! Looks like @mamabearcj got you covered!
  • The only thing I would like to add is that my hospital had a photographer going around asking if we'd like to do our newborn photos before we left the hospital. We decided to do it since we were in the hospital for a week and I didn't know when I would schedule to have them done. So I'm going to make sure I bring a cute outfit for photos just in case we do this again.
  • @rabtaido1214 that's adorable!! 
  • @rabtaido1214 love it! It’s so nice!

Me: 33 DH: 31
    DD: 10.13.18
    baby #2 due: 7.14.20