October 2018 Moms
Options

The Hospital Bag

Re: The Hospital Bag

• Options
    @spartan4life what hospital do you work at?
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I don't know if it's been mentioned on this thread already (short term memory loss, should post that to the symptoms thread as of late), but a few of my friends mentioned adding a pillowcase to your hospital bag to put over the television in the room if you don't want to see what's going down.

Apparently at least at my hospital the tv is directly across from the bed and acts as a mirror. 
  • Options
    pajamstagramspajamstagrams member
    edited July 2018
    @nikimelon we watched a video in my class last night and one chick in the video was like "I loved the mirror!" I can't decide whether or not I want to see that. Our instructor also pointed out the "vagina spotlight" in the room pointed at the business end of the hospital bed, so hopefully that bright light would cause a glare on the TV? :D
  • Options
    I literally wore hospital gowns the whole time I was in there. There is so much mess & leaking going on I figured let them do the laundry instead of me having to deal with it later. I wore one put on the front of me and one on the back so I was totally covered and it was so easy for nursing. 

Also, make sure any pants & underwear you do take have room for the giant pads you will be wearing. I had packed yoga pants maternity yoga pants to go home in. But then was embarrassed walking out because you could definitely see that I was wearing a huge bulging pad beneath them. Or if you do wear tighter fitting pants make sure to have a long tunic top or something.
  • Options
    tlmilltlmill member
    With both DD and DS the TV was directly in front of me, but there were so many people in there between DH, my OB, and all of the nurses that the reflection was pretty much blocked. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    It never dawned on me that the TV could act as a mirror. To be honest I wasnt even looking in that direction, thankfully. Not sure I'd want to see things from that perspective! Haha
  • Options
    @jemmerjams I just learned last night my hospital had a recommended packing list too! They had an interesting note about videotaping the birth. If that's something you are interested in, probably good to check that your hospital allows it bc mine doesn't. Not that I want that recorded anyway...

From their website (in spoiler): 

Patient Checklist - What you should bring:

• Insurance Card.
    • Medical history including surgical history and allergies.
    • A list of the any medications or dietary supplements you take at home.
    • Name and phone number of your pharmacy.
    • Your new baby's doctor including name, address and phone number.
    • Prenatal records.
    • Your Advanced Directives and/or Living Will.

Personal Comfort Items:

• Your Birth Plan personal care items - toothbrush & toothpaste, deodorant, cosmetics, hair care, lip balm
    • Glasses or contact lenses
    • Overnight items - Robe, slippers, socks
    • Labor aids - focal point, portable music player, massage items
    • Comfort items such as a favorite pillow or blanket
    • Clothing to wear home, loose fitting is ideal
    • Comfortable support bra or nursing bra with pads

Items for your Partner/Coach:

• Video & still camera
    • Address book or phone numbers of family & friends
    • Candy, crackers, snacks
    • Reading material
    • Watch with second hand
    • Overnight items if they plan to stay

Items for your Baby:

• Clothing for your baby to wear home and for pictures if desired
    • Your baby book
    • Receiving blanket
    • Car seat, properly installed in your car

Photographic Memories:

With your physician's permission, videotaping is permitted, but only at selected times. It is the Hospital Policy that the delivery is not to be videotaped. Please consult your nurse or physician if you have any questions.

• Options
    Well i finallly night the bag itself last night, so that’s a start right? My old duffel just bit the dust.
  • Options
    My plan is to have my bag packed no later than 36 weeks. I am having a RCS so we have a scheduled date, but I am sure with the way my life rolls this baby will actually try to come on her own and I'll go into labor before my date so I want to be prepared. Also because I know how my delivery is going to go, I also know I am in for at least 3 days in the hospital so my packing list is reflective of being there for longer than the average vaginal delivery. Here's my tentative packing list, also FFC, I haven't decided if I will be trying to BF this go around so once I decide it will either be formula I bring or nursing supplies.

HOSPITAL BAG
    slipper socks (2)
    slippers
    sandals (shower)
    robe
    night gown
    comfy bra
    pjs
    going home outfit-dress?
    Underwear (2)
    depends

TOLIETRIES
    makeup
    deodorant
    dry shampoo
    brush
    hair ties
    bobby pins
    lotion
    chapstick
    face wipes
    shampoo/conditoner/body wash
    shower cap
    toothbrush
    toothpaste

OTHER
    phone charger
    iPad
    pillow
    blanket
    snacks

FOR BABY
    nail file
    brush
    lotion
    pacifiers
    announcement picture outfit & accessories- BASSINET NAME TAG & BOARD
    pjs/sleep gown (3)
    going home outfit (newborn & 0-3)
    blankets/swaddles (2)
    boppy
    sleep sheep
    formula ?
  • Options
    It’s been a bit since this thread has been active. At what week are you all planning to pack your bag? I’m 33 weeks tomorrow. Maybe I’ll do it this weekend.
  • Options
    sammierose464sammierose464 member
    edited August 2018
    I put it in my planner to do last weekend, didn't happen. So this weekend for sure.

ETA: I'll be 32 weeks
  • Options
    tlmilltlmill member
    edited August 2018
    I’ll probably end up packing it at the last minute. Looking back I think with DS I packed it the night before I was scheduled to go in for my induction :D 

ETA with DD I think I had it packed by the time I was 34 weeks or so. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @rabtaido1214 33w today and it is half packed.. lol I need to finish sometime soon! I swear 2nd kid problems, this was done super early with my first along with his nursery and snacks for the nurses! 

DS 12/15/13

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    A friend said shes putting one together as a shower gift (not this weekend but next) so ill get to it the last week of the month as I go through everything else..  I'll be going on 35w so I really dont want to wait any longer
  • Options
    Last time I packed when I started getting Braxton Hicks pretty regularly (about 35/36 weeks) This time it will probably be around 38 weeks. 
  • Options
    ^^ this. I was wondering about this. Wasn't sure if I had to buy doubles??! 
    Me 33 DH 41
    TTC since 2016
    Due: October 12, 2018

• Options
    Ya that’s partly been my hold-up. Also I haven’t had my shower yet (not until 9/8) and my mom claims to have multiple “bringing baby home from hospital”-worthy outfits so I don’t even know what to pack in the meantime, but I guess something is better than nothing. After my shower I can replace with a better option.
  • Options
    I have a list made already, so I won't bother packing anything until at least 37 weeks unless it looks like something might happen sooner. I will probably try to remember to throw my bag in my closet in the next few weeks though so it's there when I need it. 
  • Options
    I have a bag that I take when I travel that has spare toothbrushes, travel toiletries etc. I also have a nursing nightie I'm going to pack for the hospital. I think I'm also going to pack our hearing pad. So there's some things I can pack now.
  • Options
    I made my list the other day, and I think it’ll be pretty easy for me to throw it all together if I needed to real quick. I’ll gather the baby-related stuff early and have that packed maybe around week 38? Then the rest of the stuff will be easy to throw in and check off. 
  • Options
    My list is made. I’ll pack it by 36 weeks and will order an extra phone charger, etc just so I don’t have to add anything if I have to go from work or my OB’s office.
  • Options
    I'm 32 weeks tomorrow so I think that I'll buy the few things I still need to get for myself and baby when I go shopping this weekend. We close/move next weekend so I'll feel better knowing my bag is packed and I won't have to go around looking in boxes for stuff in the event I go into labor before I've unpacked everything.

I don't mind using some of the things offered in the hospital until I get home so my list will be pretty short.
  • Options
    My husband wants me to pack a bag this weekend or next.  I think he's traumatized from the last birth when I packed during contractions at 37 weeks, lol.  I mainly stay in the hospital gown until the photographer shows up for the "Fresh 48 Hours" pictures so i'll probably only need a change of clothes (maternity pants and shirt), baby outfit and some toiletries.  I'm still debating whether or not to bring the boppy.....that thing is pretty large and won't fit in my bag and I really don't need another giant thing to carry out or get all germy at the hospital, so i'll probably just make due with the stack of hospital pillows the nurses grab for me.

Not sure if it was mentioned before, but be sure to leave room in your bag for "extras" that the hospital gives to you when you leave.  Last two times they gave us a couple packs of diapers, extra shirts/hats for baby, thermometer, tons of gauze/vaseline for boys getting circ'd, hospital blankets, breastfeeding aides, etc.
    Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options
    For all the Canadian STM - is it the same as all the US moms are saying they get extra stuff from the hospital to go home with? I wouldn't think our free medical care would just give things away! LOL
    Me 33 DH 41
    TTC since 2016

• Options
    @chyvie In my experience I wasn't given any 'extras'. I did however 'steal' the peri squirt bottles and formula bottles/nipples they had given me. Highly recommend snagging a peri bottle or two...it really helps for healing and not having to wipe after you use the washroom :) 

Oh and i think i took some extra mesh panties home with me too!
  • Options
    @chyvie anything disposable that’s in the postpartum room, feel free to take. Pads, diapers, peri bottle, Vaseline tube etc. It will all just get tossed otherwise. Don’t expect to take blankets, baby clothes, etc. 
  • Options
    I've decided on 2 bags and have been narrowing down what I want to put in them. Debating putting the baby's stuff in a small, separate bag.

Labor bag:
    Deflated birth ball and pump
    Flameless candles (haven't decided on this yet)
    1 towel for DF and I to use getting out of the labor tub
    Swim shorts for DF and wet bag to take them home in + the towels
    1 old towel for if I want to kneel on the floor and lean on the birth ball or to drape over the birth ball for use (that I can just throw away rather than carrying home)
    My comfort item (a small throw blanket)
    My birth CD and CD player
    My favorite water bottle
    A pair of soft socks
    Phone charger
    Chap stick
    Birth plan

Hospital bag:
    2 nightgowns
    My going home outfit (which I narrowed down to my favorite Harry Potter pajama bottoms and a t-shirt)
    Pajamas for DF
    Sample size bottles of shampoo and soap (I had a shower immediately after delivering ODD and really appreciated it)
    Other toiletries like deodorant, toothpaste, toothbrush
    Hair brush 
    Socks
    Laptop and charger

Baby bag:
    2-3 baby nightgowns
    Take home outfit
    Our diapers and wipes (I know the hospital provides diapers and wipes but we wanted a specific brand for both so we'll be bringing them with us)
    1 of our swaddling blankets

I plan on packing at 36 weeks and tossing phone charger, phone, and toiletries in before we leave for the hospital. 

Ladybug - April 2013
    Dandelion - October 2018
    Angel "Aurora" - July 2020
    Angel "Sawyer" - May 2021
    Angel "Maxine" - January 2022
    Angel "Violet" - March 2022
    Baby Dove due March 2023
  • Options
    @nasalot188
    Had our first prenatal class and was informed that my hospital (Sunnybrook) doesnt provide diapers or mesh panties and large pads! WTF? We get a squirt bottle.
    Me 33 DH 41
    TTC since 2016