February 2019 Moms

What’s your name man? THE NAME THREAD

Re: What’s your name man? THE NAME THREAD

• Another vote for Claire!
    DS born 2/18/2019
    DD born 4/1/2023
    Baby #3 EDD 11/21/2024
  • I am not going to help because I LOVE Brynn but it was vetoed by DH last pregnancy. I pretty much love all the names on your list except Cate, only because I know about 16 of them ILR including my SIL so I find it too over used 
  • Loading the player...
  • I like Claire Brynn and bree
  • I like Eve, Claire and Brynn
  • I like all except Bree, but like Claire best.
  • ageaagea member
    I like Eve too. Cate would be my next choice :)
  • Another vote for Eve and Claire 
  • We still don't know what we're having, but have a boy name nailed down.

Girl names are hard--thoughts on the name Nell/Nelle? Honesty appreciated, I'm not connected to it or any other girl names at this point, so no need to tread lightly. I'm just deciding whether to even put this on our long list or not.

1. Yay or nay?
    2. If yay, which spelling?
    3. Can you picture an adult named Nell/Nelle, or is it too kiddy?
    4. Is it too matchy with the name Stella, our DD's name?

other options on our list, feel free to shred or like better: Isla, Marlo, Gracia, Willow, Adrianna, Liza, Emilia, Mabel, Hazel, Clara, Georgia
  • Nell/Nelle seems more like a nickname to me, but I like it. I prefer the second spelling, but it may be more often mispronounced. Not too matchy.

I prefer (on your list) Mabel, and Hazel over Nell/Nelle.

KBJ-SEJ married 8.18.2012
    BMJ born 5.27.2014
    MMC 7.2.2015 @ 5w5d
    SMEJ born 6.5.2016
    BFP 6.8.2018 EDD 02.18.2019

• I keep being interested in Edison. DH turned it down once already.
  • @bleucheeznwine I like Nell, but to me it does sound similar to Stella.  I love Georgia and Mabel.
  • @bleucheeznwine I like Nelle but I agree it does sound a little rhyme-y with Stella. From your list I like Isla, Emilia, Liza and Clara. 

I feel you on girl names being hard. We still haven’t nailed one down. Nothing is clicking for me. 
  • @allthingsgo they're so difficult for us! I don't want to give a girl a basic name or one that 80 other girls in her class will have, but I also don't want to give her one that sounds like we're trying too hard.
  • @allthingsgo they're so difficult for us! I don't want to give a girl a basic name or one that 80 other girls in her class will have, but I also don't want to give her one that sounds like we're trying too hard.
    I feel the same way!
  • cmjenkiescmjenkies member
    edited August 2018
    @bleucheeznwine I would be inclined to use Penelope as the actual name and then call her Nell/Nelle.. but I’m a big fan of naming that way and it gives the kids options as they grow. Nell/Nelly/Penny are all cute nn’s.

Isla and Georgia are also on our list. I like Emilia but really because I love Millie as a nn. 
  • @cmjenkies we already have a Penelope in the family, so unfortunately that's s no go. I tried to think of other names either Nell in them,, but am coming up short.
  • @bleucheeznwine our baby is going to be named Perenelle if it’s a girl, I don’t know if you’ve heard of that one. It’s uncommon, but it’s a real name with a real history, it used to be common in the Middle Ages as a feminine variant of Peter. Anyway, I think Nelle certainly works as a nickname for Perenelle. 
  • @bleucheeznwine I think Nelle is cute! Could be short for anelle (like in steel magnolias!), or even Helen or Eleanor. I’ve heard of helens with the nn Nell
  • @bleucheeznwine to me Nell sounds like a nickname but a very good one.
    (For the record, I'm not  fan of nickname type names because they feel sort of limited for adulthood and I have no problem with names that are intended to be shortened all the time. But that's just my style.) 
    I think Eleanor is lovely! Other options: Danielle, Helen/a, Ellen?
  • ageaagea member
    Nell would be at the top of my girls list names too! My husbands not sold and we’ve had a hard time with middle name. I think Nelle spelling it pretty but want to avoid “Nelly” pronunciation.
  • ageaagea member
    I also adore Georgia big used George as our sons middle name and we often use both names together so it would be weird. Someone in our neighborhood has a Georgia Grace and I love it!
  • What about “Janelle” as a potential main name
  • What about “Janelle” as a potential main name

I came here to say I had a friend named Janelle  :D
  • cmjenkies said:
    What about “Janelle” as a potential main name

I came here to say I had a friend named Janelle  :D
    A girl in school ruined this name for me forever. 

BMJ born 5.27.2014
    MMC 7.2.2015 @ 5w5d
    SMEJ born 6.5.2016

• @okayestmom12 I watch all of the teen moms, all of the housewives, VPR, below deck, shahs of sunset...you name it. No judgment here haha.
  • Another Teen Mom watcher.... I read serious documents for a living - I want to escape and veg out when I get home... I also watch RHOA/BH, Don't Be Tardy, Catfish.... I'm sure some more trash tv too....

BMJ born 5.27.2014
    MMC 7.2.2015 @ 5w5d
    SMEJ born 6.5.2016

• What do you all think of the name Gabriel, honestly? 
  • @bleucheeznwine I like nelle a lot!

@becks_726 I really like Gabriel.  Potential nn Gabe...very cute name!  Just randomly I turned to my DH and said ohhh what about Gabriel?  He turns down every name I come up with  :/ boy names are the hardest for us!! And this baby is definitely a boy! Lol
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • @becks_726 it’s on our list! One of my faves
  • I personally love Gabriel, but probably won't use it myself. It's not quite trendy, which is good, but it's still too common for me.

#SSS
    #namesnob
    #kidsnevergonnagetaname
  • @notthecheat that fits me perfectly! Common but not trendy is what I aim for. 

Thanks, @danixbanani24 and @cmjenkies
  • edited August 2018
    Name your child what you like and what you think will be suitable, because even if he's called John Smith someone will mispronounce it and he'll have to spell it out for people.  I have a fairly common first name - Kimberly - and it's misspelled regularly.

I don't feel there isn't a lot of purpose in giving your child a name that you'll never use for the sake of justifying the name you really like.  I have gone by Kim for so long that it's listed as a legal alias and is on several documents.  (And still gets misspelled.)

My parents spent weeks discussing my sister's name and settled on Laura Michelle - straight forward and not overused, right?  Growing up, my sister HATED it and had it changed it when she was 20.  (Mom was okay with it since Dad had remarried by then to a woman named Michelle!)
  • @notthecheat, my child will also be nameless.  I work in the early learning field and every name reminds me of one of the kids I've worked with at some point. DH better start suggesting names or I might just decide to keep calling the baby, IT (team green) forever. :#
  • I have a SUPER uncommon (for my generation) name - think Ethel or Gertrude. I HATED it growing up, but I love it now because I know why my parents chose it. My husband's name is so so so common (I have 3 friends whose husbands have the same name), so we're trying to strike a balance. I can't stand ~*youneek*~ names for the sake of being different unless there's a family connection or something like that, but that's all my husband suggests for girls. UGHHHHH. So of course this one's going to be a girl. Because our boy name is set. It irritates me every time I think about it.
  • @BourbonBiscuits How about if I have a boy and you have a girl, we do a swap? I’m certain I’ll have a boy since we’re back to square one for boy names. Swapping babies will make everything easier, right?
    DS born 2/18/2019
    DD born 4/1/2023
    Baby #3 EDD 11/21/2024