February 2019 Moms
Options

What’s your name man? THE NAME THREAD

Re: What’s your name man? THE NAME THREAD

• Options
    @BourbonBiscuits Avonleigh / Avonley is also close. 
  • Options
    @cmjenkies and @grebretso I would never have thought of Amelia with nn Millie, but I love it! I’m going to still push for Camilla, but keep Amelia as a back-up. Thank you!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    You all have such great suggestions! I think I’ve convinced H to pump the brakes until we know the sex, but that’s only delaying the inevitable lol
  • Options
    My DH and I can’t agree. I am set on Deacon Monroe (DH, DS and I all have M middle initial). He said he liked Deacon, but has changed his mind. We have literally gone through countless lists of names and he likes nothing. It took us forever to come up with our first son’s name- Jasper Maurice (I hate Maurice but its after DHs deceased father). Any ideas for old southern names?
  • Options
    norweigannorweigan member
    edited August 2018
    @cassafrass15 I love the name Camille. Very classic. I hope he comes around!

we are doing Elizabeth Inez for a girl (Elizabeth after queen Elizabeth I, because I like the idea of her being named after a strong woman, and Inez after my grandma. Another strong woman). And for a boy, it’s Micheal Joseph, and we will call him Mickey. After Mickey Mantle. My husband has always wanted to have a son named Mickey, and even though I didn’t like it at first, it’s grown on me and now I’m all about it.

ETA: in case anyone is wondering with the name Mickey (after seeing the question about ethnic names) my husband is half Irish. We also have an Irish last name, so this will be a very Irish boy.
    Married 5/12/12
    BabyFruit Ticker
    69 Thoughts We've All Had While Drunk

• Options
    @Lmeller83 Old Southern names is a huge category. Look to literature from the early 1900's for good classic names of characters (think Faulkner, Tate, Tennessee Williams, etc). Usually names follow a 100-year cycle: popular names take about 100 years to come back (think Cora, which was a very popular girl's name back in the late 1800's, fell to obscurity, then became popular again in the past decade).

• Options
    We have a few top names but I also have a big list that hubby and I will go through once we find out what we are having. Our top few are Lily Ray, Lyla Ray, Rylee Lynn, Freya, Mila for a girl. Logan Ray, Logan Michal, Braxton, Oliver for a boy.  Ray is my best friend/cousins who was my maid of honor initials and my hubby's brother in laws middle name both huge influences in our lives. Our due date happens to be both of their birthdays 2/5  we thought it would be a great middle name for either gender. Lee was my dads middle name and Lynne is my mother's middle name as well as middle name in hubby's fam, Braxton is the hubby's grandpa. And Lily/Logan are our favorite names from flowers to super heroes and other book characters (harry potter and wolverine)  #nerdalert. I'm so excited to find out an learn what name fits baby best as he/she grows.
  • Options
    Just scrolling through for name ideas because I’m drawing a blank on ideas  :D
  • Options
    @lifeofboggs doing the same because me and DH can’t agree for shit on a boy name for this little dude baking in my oven 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    H and I can’t agree on boy names at all. I’m leaning towards Johan or Johannes, while he’s set on Vincent or Max. I don’t like either. Really hoping this LO is a girl because this is NOT working.
    DS born 2/18/2019
    DD born 4/1/2023
    Baby #3 EDD 11/21/2024
  • Options
    grebretso said:
    H and I can’t agree on boy names at all. I’m leaning towards Johan or Johannes, while he’s set on Vincent or Max. I don’t like either. Really hoping this LO is a girl because this is NOT working.
    I’ve gottwn lucky twice. We had no girl names with 2.0 or 3.0 that we loved. 

KBJ-SEJ married 8.18.2012
    BMJ born 5.27.2014
    MMC 7.2.2015 @ 5w5d
    SMEJ born 6.5.2016
    BFP 6.8.2018 EDD 02.18.2019

• Options
    If it’s a girl it’ll be either Solvei or Tuva. Not sure which yet, but we like both so we might end up waiting till after baby is born to decide. 

Max and Vincent are both excellent names... for pets. My mom’s cat is named Mack. I don’t want my potential son’s name to be confused with my mom’s cat.
    DS born 2/18/2019
    DD born 4/1/2023
    Baby #3 EDD 11/21/2024
  • Options
    @grebretso You’ll have a boy since you can’t agree on that name  :D

I love Tuva!! 
  • Options
    We find out the gender in 20 days! 
    we finally agreed on both boy and girl names! 
    boy would be Avery D’Angelo (middle name after my husbands middle name) 
    girl would be Milani Grey 
    i can barely wait to find out the gender of our LO!
  • Options
    We decided on a name. Well, I pretty much knew this is what it was going to be b/c of Greek naming traditions, but what made this a big deal is that DH actually told me he wanted to do it (he wouldn't say anything before). Maybe things are becoming more real? I think it helps we know it is a boy. We will name the baby Dimitrios after my FIL. Will call him Dimitri or Mitso for short. Not sure if Mitso will get butchered in school, so it might be a Greek-only nickname. Will see how it evolves?
  • Options
    @grebretso if this baby is a boy, there’s a good chance he is going to be named Max(well).. which was also the name of my first cat 28 years ago  :D
  • Options
    Actually, if I have it my way, there’s a strong possibility it’ll be named Max if it’s a boy or a girl. 

I’m not crazy about Vincent though, because I don’t particularly enjoy the nicknames Vinny or Vince.
  • Options
    etnyahetnyah member
    edited August 2018
    @cmjenkies That's hilarious! This cat is alive and kicking, so that's cutting it a little close even though it's not the exact same name. H also wants LO to be just Max, not short for anything, and that just seems like having a nickname for a name to me. 

Edit: About Vincent, that's my thought too. Not into those nicknames at all. Besides, I have a degree in art history and I can just imagine all the "oooh after van Gogh?" questions I'll get. Nope, just out of thin air. Also it sounds ridiculous with H's last name. 
    DS born 2/18/2019
    DD born 4/1/2023
    Baby #3 EDD 11/21/2024
  • Options
    It’s a sign  :D

BMJ born 5.27.2014
    MMC 7.2.2015 @ 5w5d
    SMEJ born 6.5.2016

• Options
    hollyvenellehollyvenelle member
    edited August 2018
    I went to school with a guy everyone called Worm. It was a nickname, but I still don't know his real first name. Even the teachers called him worm. Maybe he was a Mark...haha!

Edit: Naming is the only anxiety I have had so far, other than normal 1st tri stuff. I save a name on a list only to erase it a few days later. And the only thing DH has mentioned so far is Gene...GENE!!!!!! 
  • Options
    @grebretso well that is fate if I ever heard of it haha.  

Im still like dreading naming this child and my husband won’t play along hahaha
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    @grebretso I think you have found your name!

Now that DH and I know we are having a girl, we downloaded the app that lets you match names you both like, and so far we have the same list as last time. I think our 2 favorites are Matilda and Meredith. Mattie or Tillie as a nickname for Matilda or Mary for Meredith.

The hard part is the middle name, because I want it to have meaning while DH wants it to sound good, I like either Kathleen after DH's mom (she is basically a saint) or Thatcher,  while he likes Claire (one of other favorite girl names). It is so much harder this time around, DD is Caroline Reagan, how do you top that?! 
  • Options
    @adough27 I love Matilda and its nicknames!!  And love the combo of Caroline and Matilda.
  • Options
    adough27adough27 member
    edited August 2018
    @casperthefriendlybeeb thank you!

That's my favorite right now too and combo is adorable. DH just brought up Madeline, and I do like it, but I can't have Madeline and a Caroline, the poor awkward intros.
  • Options
    @adough27 Both Matilda and Meredith are great names! Matilda especially because of Roald Dahl. Of the middle name combinations, I think Matilda Kathleen and Meredith Claire flows the best. Which doesn’t really narrow it down much, ha.
    DS born 2/18/2019
    DD born 4/1/2023
    Baby #3 EDD 11/21/2024
  • Options
    so I got the gender and it's a boy. I don't want to think of a boy name. I don't like any average boy names. My DH doesn't want a somewhat original boy name. I made a preliminary list of a few that weren't too crazy, he didn't like them. No offense to anyone, but I'm not interested in having the millionth David or Daniel or some average name like that.
  • Options
    @disneybaby84 get the babyname app! My husband and I are total opposites on girl names (boy names seem to come really easily for us) so we've been playing with it. We still don't know sex, but it's been fun and really surprising to see where our names overlap. There are also names in there I hadn't thought of - definitely a bunch of names you don't see every day.
  • Options
    I totally get that, @Disneybaby24 - Since DH and I have unique (or in my case, not common) names, we wanted our kids to have less common names too. I highly recommend the baby name app, Kinder (tinder for baby names) too. 

BMJ born 5.27.2014
    MMC 7.2.2015 @ 5w5d
    SMEJ born 6.5.2016

• Options
    @grebretso those combos do sound good, I never thought of interchanging the middle name, I guess it will come down to what the baby looks like more when she is born :smiley:
  • Options
    What do you guys think of the name Amara? I heard it the other day and fell in love with it but my husband thinks it’s wierd
  • Options
    @lifeofboggs - NMS but I don't think it's weird.

BMJ born 5.27.2014
    MMC 7.2.2015 @ 5w5d
    SMEJ born 6.5.2016

• Options
    @lifeofboggs I think Amara is pretty, and not
    common (which is a good thing in my book)!

What do you gals think of the name Emilia? I’m still looking for something that works with the nn Millie, but I’m concerned she’d have to constantly correct people calling her Amelia...
  • Options
    @cassafrass15 I think Emilia is so pretty! But Amelia is one of our top names, so maybe that's why I like it ...

I do think there's a pronunciation difference between Emilia (more emphasis on the EM) vs. Amelia (which starts more AH) in my mind. 
  • Options
    @lifeofboggs I think Amara is very pretty! I’ve never heard it before either. 

@cassafrass15 Emilia was one of my favs but DH nixed it due to it being the name of a close friend’s kid. 
  • Options
    @cassafrass15 @BourbonBiscuits DD is Amelia and being Italian I wanted to do Emilia but was afraid for the pronunciation/spelling that she would always be correcting people. So we went with the more American/popular version, and I can’t tell you how many people STILL spell her name wrong. 
  • Options
    etnyahetnyah member
    edited August 2018
    I don't think you need to worry about her having to correct people. It's no big deal if they do! My name is Kristin, and I have to correct people when they spell it Kristen all the time. I don't even care. A lot of people deal with it all the time, think about how many Lindsey/Lyndsey/Lindsay's there are out there. You just get used to it.
    DS born 2/18/2019
    DD born 4/1/2023
    Baby #3 EDD 11/21/2024
  • Options
    People never spell my name right - it’s just life. Even my last name (Johnson) I have to spell half the time...  :|

BMJ born 5.27.2014
    MMC 7.2.2015 @ 5w5d
    SMEJ born 6.5.2016