October 2018 Moms

The Hospital Bag

Re: The Hospital Bag

• @rc-cola yes! They told us to pre register ahead of time. You can do most of it online, there are some forms that need to be signed in person though. Just can't do it all TOO early or they kick you out of the system lol. I'll probably do mine when I hit 35 weeks.
  • Loading the player...
  • I registered online while I was waiting for my glucose test. It’s so much easier than trying to fill out forms in between contractions! With DD when I was in labor all I had to do was look it over and sign that everything was the same.
  • @chyvie whaaaa?? That seems crazy! I thought mesh panties were sortof a hospital staple.
  • I've never heard of that as being an option, @dellusion! That's awesome. I wonder if that's a common practice at other hospitals...
  • @nasalot188 I was shocked!
    Me 33 DH 41
    TTC since 2016
    Due: October 12, 2018

• I actually just preregistered a couple days ago because I was having a lot of cramping for a few days so I got worried. Lol but at least it's done now. 

@chyvie That's insane! I know there is obviously a difference because you are in Canada, but that makes me think I should ask if all the same post-birth items are still being provided. I found out from a friend that our hospital no longer lets you send baby to the nursery for that first night, so maybe there are some other changes as well. 
  • Our hospital has you go in for a "predelivery consultation" between 30-35 weeks and you can go ahead and fill out all the paperwork and get costs and talk plans. We're going tomorrow. How is this happening already??
  • @sliztee, i'm for sure going to ask again about it!  In one of my local fb mama groups someone mentioned they didn't offer it anymore, but i'm totally asking (or hoping I don't owe anything since i've already hit my max OOP with insurance, lol).
    Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers

• Our hospital also has the pre-registration. They had me do that at about 22 weeks - turn in the forms, go over cost estimates, etc. Super helpful!
  • They told us at my birth class we don't need to pre-register. They said so much is linked straight to our SSN that they can just put that in and it pulls up most information. Which is cool.

Our hospital also only has 2 separate "nursery" rooms that are only used for checking out baby if there's something wrong. Since they don't have a NICU it's used for babies that might need extra care for 24 hours or less. Otherwise, baby is in with us.

They also have a delivery room and a postpartum room. The delivery room is nice and spacious, the postpartum room looks like a normal hospital room. The postpartum is definitely not as appealing.
  • @sammierose464 same here. The delivery room is nice and large, but PP room is tinyyyyy.
  • They didn't show us a second room...is that weird? But they explained we'd be sleeping there. Is it weird to deliver and stay in the same room?
  • @chopchop25 that is how the hospital I was going to deliver at does things. All in the same room. 
  • @chopchop25 I only have experience with two
    hospitals (where I gave birth to DS, and now my current one), and in both they have separate labor & delivery rooms vs postpartum rooms. Usually from what I’ve seen, you’ll deliver in one room and then they’ll move you to another room/unit for the rest of your stay after baby is born. 
  • Our hospital has L&D rooms that are a giant suite with a tub in it, a recliner sleeper bed for DH and much nicer decor. The postpartum rooms are a little nicer than typical hospital rooms but much smaller than the L&D rooms and semi-private or ward style unless your insurance covers private. We only stay 24hrs after birth unless Csection so it's not too bad
    Me 33 DH 41
    TTC since 2016
    Due: October 12, 2018

• At our hospital it's all in the same room. We stay there the entire time (unless need to go to operating room or something). They're super nice and big, with a sleeper couch and tv and everything. Baby also stays with you the whole time, unless they need extra help. 
  • Danggg don't my husband read this! We just have benches ("couch" that's rock hard) for him to sleep on, in both rooms. 
  • @chopchop25 the hospital I delivered DD and DS at was that way...same room the whole time you’re there. The hospital my OB delivers at now has you labor/deliver in one room then you move to a separate PP room. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @chopchop25 hospitals are usually set up one of two ways. They either have LDRP rooms (Labour/Delivery/Recover/Postpartum) where you stay in one space your whole stay. One of the issues with this set up is that nurses end up with both L&D and postpartum patients, meaning if their labouring patient is really active they may not be as available to the postpartum patients. 

The other style tends to be more common, with LDR rooms and separate Postpartum rooms. Nurses become a little more specialized and you move from the delivery room to a postpartum room about 1-2 hours after birth. 
  • My midwife always gives me the registration papers in advance to fill out and I return them to her at my next appointment  (don't recall the week though). It's not really a lot since most of my information is already in the system and she's in a clinic connected to the hospital I deliver at. 

We have L&D rooms and then separate postpartum rooms. They're both pretty nice and about the same size so it doesn't bother me that I have to move but reminds me not to over pack so nothing gets lost in the transition.
  • My hospital sent me the registration stuff like exactly at 28 weeks. 

They also do separate labor and post partum rooms. My “backup” hospital ie the closest one does a single room for the whole stay. 

One thing i need to look into is if they still have a nursery. They did 3 years ago but I know things have changed.
  • Thanks everyone! I really got the vibe it was one room...guess we'll find out soon enough!
  • Ours is 2 rooms as well. L&D on one side, walk around a large bend with nurse's desk, snack area/fridges/coffee/pantry etc and the "Mommy & baby" rooms are on the other side. Our L&D rooms are slightly larger, but only because of the warmers/tubs/room for tool trays etc.

We also have no nursery other than a low level "NICU" type space (not my words, the nurses.) 

Definitely ask what they provide because  they are all SO different.

Ours provides like everything (except pacifiers! They don't carry them and actually push for them to not be used. Part of the "baby friendly" initiative/certification). They even send home baby blankets (just the hospital swaddle one's. We had 2 or 3 they gave us and the nurse used 2 more to prop up the head padding in his car seat) and 3 or 4 of the baby kimono style wrap shirts (the rest of the little bottle of baby wash/his comb & brush/alcohol pads/diapers/wipes and a lot more). We were told anything brought to me/him/in his bassinet trays we we're to take. Also if you breastfeed, ask to see the lactation consultant. Sometimes they will also bring stuff to help you out (lanolin, nursing shield, gel cooling pads, breast pads, manual pump and tiny bottles).
  • 33 weeks and haven’t packed. Last time wasn’t packed when doctor called to say I had to come in to be induced. So, basically I wasn’t packed until 36 weeks and the night before last time. I am not sure how to do it this time. Trying for a VBAC and Just in case RCS is scheduled for 41+2. I may pack it at 35 weeks??
  • So I think I am good.. for now anyway, I have:
    a towel
    gown/robe
    non skid socks
    PJ's
    nursing bra/tank comfy going home pants. Hoping to remember to wear my sweatshirt going in so I can just wear it home! lol 

Noise machine
    baby going home outfit
    2 NB footies
    1 0-3 footie
    2 hats/socks
    pacifier
    muslin swaddle
    blanket
    I have that free pampers clutch with 3 diapers and wipes in it. 

Chapstick
    travel shampoo/conditioner
    contact solution/case
    toothbrush/paste
    facewash
    lotion
    hairtie

debating boppy. I didn't use it last time, DH used it as a pillow and I think we put DS in it but I didn't use it to BF. 

Need to make some padsicles! I didn't bring them with me last time but I would love to bring some and hopefully use them while in the hospital also. 

Also nurse station basket. 

DS 12/15/13

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Bumping this.. Everyone packed?  ;) I am goinf though mine for a final time to make sure I have everything and a list of what we need to grab on the way out the door. 
  • :( no. I tried to start and realized I need all my stuff in the meantime. Toiletries, maternity clothes, phone charger. I know my husband will be throwing his together on the way out the door.
  • Hell no! My H is going to be in Belgium next week so I’m planning on getting it done then to keep me busy while he is gone. We will see if I actually end up doing it or not..
  • I started out strong and threw a bunch of stuff in a bag and have since stalled.  We still have to get a coming home outfit and I still need to pick up some travel sized toiletries.  DH hasn't packed anything but at least he can come home if need be.  I put a couple of things for DD in a bag too and now I don't even know where the bag is....  I should add this to my weekend to do list.  
  • It was on my list of things to do today but my feet are swollen so I dont want to. Maybe tomorrow.
  • Haven't even started!!

My plan is to at least make a list this weekend, and start packing what I can.
  • My husband forced me to start a bag last night.  I have some comfy clothes and undies for me, socks, flip flops (for the shower?), baby clothes and travel toiletries in the bag so far.  Oh, and a list next to it with other things i'll want but am still actively using (so my H can grab them if needed).  Basically makeup bag, deodorant, phone charger with looooooong cable. I need to finish crocheting the border on this dang baby blanket so I can wash it and throw that in too!  lol
    Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers

• nugget2ehfnugget2ehf member
    edited August 2018
    I think I'm done with mine. Now I'm trying to set it and forget it, so I don't keep wondering what else I should've brought. I'm trying not to go overboard, and just doing minimum. I think the hospital has most everything extra anyway, or H can always go home for me. I just bought almost everything new because I didn't have nursing clothes yet and figured I would still use all these comfy clothes afterward anyway. H hasn't packed anything, of course, but that's his deal... 

I brought (if I remember right):
    -Travel toiletries
    -Nipple cream
    -Hairbrush/Hair ties
    -A few days worth of vitamins, Colace, and allergy meds
    -Robe
    -A couple comfy nursing bras
    -Couple non-slip socks
    -One nursing nightgown
    -And one nursing tank and comfy loose pants
    -Will leave a sweater in the car
    -For baby, just a footie PJ in each a newborn and 0-3 months, nothing special (might update after my last shower depending on what I get)
    -Will also throw a baby blanket and swaddle blanket to leave in the car

Getting car seat installed and checked at fire department next Tuesday.

ETA: threw a phone charger in the bag too.
  • I staged mine this past weekend then went through it Monday and pulled out the extra stuff I didn’t actually need lol. That’s my typical packing style since I overpack the first time through and I hate bringing a ton.

I packed it in a duffel bag and then I have 3-4 items I use regularly (phone, wallet, glasses) to grab on the way out. I put those items on a list on my nightstand so either I or my husband can look at the list and grab them without forgetting in the chaos of labor. 

Me: 33 DH: 31
    DD: 10.13.18
    baby #2 due: 7.14.20

• My goal is to start packing my bag(s) this weekend. I’m planning to have one bag to keep at home, and one to keep at work just in case I go into labor at work (since I work at the hospital where I’m delivering).