December 2018 Moms

Genetic Testing Results Thread

Re: Genetic Testing Results Thread

• @rcultrona an amnio is a pretty invasive procedure and carries a (small) risk of causing miscarriage, it's rarely done unless another test comes back abnormal.  
    Me: 35  H: 35
    Married: 4/5/13

"You know that place between sleep and awake, 
    that place where you can still remember dreaming?
    That's where I will always love you.  
    That's where I'll be waiting."
    ~Peter Pan 

*TW*
    BFP #1: 11/12/12  EDD 7/25/13 Baby boy: 7/27/13
    BFP #2: 10/29/17   MMC dx @ 9 weeks
    BFP #3: 2/2/18 MC 2/7/18
    BFP #4: 3/2/18  MC 3/9/18
    RPL testing and hysteroscopy: all normal
    BFP #5: 4/1/18 MMC dx @ 14 weeks ----> genetically normal girl  :'(
    Hysteroscopy to remove scar tissue 9/28
    BFP #6 11/5/18 EDD 7/20/19  <3  Rainbow baby girl born 7/23/19 
    BFP #7 12/8/2021 EDD 8/22/2022 
  • Loading the player...
  • @artemis618 The plan is to try to relax and focus on the positive.  I hope you will be able to do the same, though I'm sure that's difficult.  
  • katy0990katy0990 member
    edited June 2018
    @rcultrona Do you have other risk factors that would warrant an amnio? 
  • @katy0990, I do not. I just have a healthy amount of general anxiety that always makes me prepare for the other shoe. The rational part of my brain recognizes that my results were amazing and I should be nothing but pleased but the irrational crazy part is always there with a negative thought... 
  • katy0990katy0990 member
    edited June 2018
    @rcultrona I can completely understand your anxiety. I would definitely encourage you to talk to your doctor and research the procedure beforehand. When I was pregnant with DS, there were some soft markers on his ultrasounds and I ended up with polyhydramnios, so there was a lot of concern about what could be causing these issues. When an amnio was put on the table, my doctor advised against it due to the risks. Good luck!
  • My screen came back low risk but turns out I'm an SMA carrier.  Anxiously waiting on SO's result.  It would be devastating to have to terminate at 18 weeks. I really hope my little guy is fine.  
  • @shygirl88 thinking of you. I'm a CF carrier. Also waiting on SO's results over here. Fingers crossed for both of us. 
  • @scaredunprepared Did you husband finally go in for bloodwork?
    *Loss 8/2014*
    *Rainbow 8/2015*
    *Expected Rainbows 12/2018*
    *Loss of Twin 5/2018*

• @shygirl88 I just looked up SMA and it says that there is a 75% chance that baby won't have the disease.  Is there a way, in utero, for the doctors to find out? I'm so sorry for this news and I'm sure waiting is horrible.
    *Loss 8/2014*
    *Rainbow 8/2015*
    *Loss of Twin 5/2018*

• @texas_t no!  Last week he was supposed to buy with closing and starting our move we both let it slip our minds. Then of course now, he's away until tonight, so he's going in tomorrow whether he likes it or not! Then 1-2 weeks waiting for results. Waiting waiting waiting is my life at the moment.  Poo.
  • @shygirl88 and @scaredunprepared I am so sorry for your stress and waiting. Fx for good results.
  • shygirl88 not to freak you out but my husband and I dd the carrier screening and he is a carrier for SMA as well. 
    The way it works is that everyone should have one marker on each of the two strands of that particular pair of chromosomes ( so 2 markers total). If you are a carrier you have one strand without a marker. If 2 parents each have one markerless strand and that i what the baby gets the result is someone with zero markers and thus SMA. NOW, here is the kicker. All the carrier screening tests for is the number of markers and it is possible to have 2 markers on one strand and none on the other so for example, I was not a carrier because I have 2 markers BUT both markers could be on the same strand whcih would technically make me a carrier because I have one strand with no markers. So if my husband and I both "donate" our markerless strands to the baby then she would have SMA even though on paper I am not a carrier. It is a 1:3100 chance but depending on your level or neuroticism is something to keep in mind. Your odds of getting hit by a bud on your way to the Dr are probably higher but if you are they type of person who is looking for 100% certainty you might be interested in further testing. 
  • @scaredunprepared fingers crossed for you! Keep us posted 
  • @morgantu thank you, dear. Will do!
  • @scaredunprepared Prayers for fast and good results!
    *Loss 8/2014*
    *Rainbow 8/2015*
    *Loss of Twin 5/2018*

• @scaredunprepared glad he finally got in! Hoping for quick and good results for you!

@shygirl88 I know nothing about SMA, but FX SOs test comes back as negative for carrier!
    DS1 born 2/28/16
    DS2 due 12/12/18

• shygirl88shygirl88 member
    edited June 2018
    @texas_t Yes if he comes back as a carrier I will do an amniocentesis. I may do it regardless depending on the "residual risk" that the genetic counselor was trying to explain. I really don't WANT to do that though. Its 25% chance the baby will have it, 25% he will get none of it and 50% chance he will be a carrier also. So FX, I'm hoping to get SO's results by next week.
  • shygirl88shygirl88 member
    edited June 2018
    @scaredunprepared Thanks! FX crossed for you.  Just a waiting game  
  • @rcultrona well that is scary! And that is also very confusing.  Still deciding if i will go forward with the amnio if my partner is negative. I will for sure if he is positive.  Such a long wait for results for such a serious thing.  
  • @shygirl88 so many prayers for a healthy baby!
    *Loss 8/2014*
    *Rainbow 8/2015*
    *Loss of Twin 5/2018*

• shygirl88 said:
    @rcultrona well that is scary! And that is also very confusing.  Still deciding if i will go forward with the amnio if my partner is negative. I will for sure if he is positive.  Such a long wait for results for such a serious thing.  
    I know! It's the worst. I'm definitely risk adverse and because I am 36 I went in to my first appointment ready to sign up for a CVS and an Amnio and anything else they wanted to do to me but after really looking at the numbers, for example we have a 1:3100 chance for SMA which is a .0003% chance of it happening vs a 99.9996% of it not happening I am trying to be more "glass half full". That was the best advise our genetic councilor gave us was to turn the negative chance around to see the positive side. 
  • @scaredunprepared I am so glad! You must be so relieved!
  • @katy0990 thank you!  Yes, incredibly relieved.
  • @scaredunprepared Yay!! Great news!!
    **June Siggy Challenge - P.I.L.Fs**
    httpsstaticboredpandacomblogwp-contentuploads201702best-dad-ever-chris-hemsworth-thor-589aec291b80c__700jpg