December 2018 Moms
Options

Genetic Testing Results Thread

I’ve seen this done on other boards and now that a lot of us are at the point where we’re getting NT scans/NIPT done I thought it would be nice to have one place for us to share our results.  
Me: 35  H: 35
Married: 4/5/13

"You know that place between sleep and awake, 
that place where you can still remember dreaming?
That's where I will always love you.  
That's where I'll be waiting."
~Peter Pan 

*TW*
BFP #1: 11/12/12  EDD 7/25/13 Baby boy: 7/27/13
BFP #2: 10/29/17   MMC dx @ 9 weeks
BFP #3: 2/2/18 MC 2/7/18
BFP #4: 3/2/18  MC 3/9/18
RPL testing and hysteroscopy: all normal
BFP #5: 4/1/18 MMC dx @ 14 weeks ----> genetically normal girl  :'(
Hysteroscopy to remove scar tissue 9/28
BFP #6 11/5/18 EDD 7/20/19  <3  Rainbow baby girl born 7/23/19 
BFP #7 12/8/2021 EDD 8/22/2022 

Re: Genetic Testing Results Thread

• Options
    Good idea! My NIPT draw is on Monday, but I don’t remember when to expect results. I’ll find out soon enough :sunglasses:
    NTNP since Dec 2012 | TTC since Jan 2016
    Dx: Unspecified IF

BFP#1 Nov 2017 • Blighted Ovum + MMC • D&C at nine weeks
    BFP#2 Apr 2018 • It's a boy! • Born 13 Dec 2018 :love:
    Anniversary
  • Options
    Love this idea. My NIPT is Wednesday. Should get the results and NT around be same time (June 6)
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I had a draw for the Panorama today. Results next Fri if mail runs on time
  • Options
    @echo-charlietango I was told results would take a week.  

~Peter Pan 

*TW*
  • Options
    @echo-charlietango Which one did you do? I'm doing the Harmony draw on Tuesday!

@AGK2015 Yay glad everything looked good!
  • Options
    I have the Harmony test scheduled for May 30.  Seems like an eternity away.  Hope the results only take a week.

Pregnancy Ticker

Me: 40 | SO: 32

DDs: 11, 7.5 |  Due: 22-Dec

We're having another GIRL!!  <3

• Options
    krobkrob member
    Did the Panorama screening this morning. Already anxious about the results 
    Me: 36, H: 37
    FTM, 2 Furbabies
    married 03/17/07
    lived in Houston, Austin, Los Angeles and NYC
    due: 2/15/17
  • Options
    My appointment is Wednesday. I’m so excited and a bit nervous. I’m thinking results will be delayed because of Memorial Day/weekend. I bet nothing will be done/communicated those 3 days. 
  • Options
    I am having the Counsyl testing done on Wednesday. 
  • Options
    i have no clue which brand of test i'm getting? Mine just said "first trimester screening". Should i be choosing? i'm super confused and hope it's covered by my insurance. I called the insurance company on thursday and they said covered if "medically necessary" then their documentation says first tri screening is "medically appropriate" for all women. Soooooo i think so? Ugh this is very complicated. 
  • Options
    Blood draw complete!

My OB uses verifi (by Progenity) for non-invasive prenatal screening. Results in 7-10 days, and we’ll see if my insurance company sends me a bill :grimace:

Anniversary
  • Options
    @morgantu I have no idea which brand I'm doing either.  It'll be OOP for me since I'm under 35 so I'm assuming I'll just do whichever is the cheapest.  As far as I know one test isn't better than another.  

~Peter Pan 

*TW*
  • Options
    For those of you who have already done the testing/are scheduled for the testing.. how far along were/are you?

I have my first OB appointment (been with an RE this whole time) on the day I turn 10 weeks and am wondering if she will do the blood draw that day or if I should go back a few days later.  I read in one unscientific place that at less than 10.5 weeks, the testing could be inaccurate.  Thoughts?
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @lexidawg My draw was today, st 10w5d by LMP (I did ovulate a few days late, so LO May be as young as 10w1d). My OB was cool with anytime after 10 weeks (but didn’t explain why because I didn’t try for an earlier draw). FX!

Anniversary
  • Options
    @lexidawg, my OB scheduled mine for a week from now, when I'll be 10w3d. I questioned if it would be too early but she felt confident it would be fine. 
  • Options
    @lexidawg the MaterniT21 website says the test can be done as early as 9 weeks, I think most OBs do it at 10 weeks just to be on the safe side and avoid inconclusive results.  

~Peter Pan 

*TW*
  • Options
    Later is fine too though, right? I’m only asking because I think it’s something we’ll talk about at my next appointment, when I’m 12 or 13 weeks. I believe my OB uses the MaterniT21. 
    Me: 31 | DH: 31
    Together since 2003 | Married 2010
    TTC #1 January 2016
    BFP April 18 2016 | EDD December 29, 2016
    Welcome baby A! January 9, 2017

TTC#2 March 2018
    BFP March 30, 2018 | EDD December 12, 2018
  • Options
    Thanks, ladies!

@PensiveCrayon - Pretty sure you can do it up to 13w6d
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I had the panorama done last Wednesday. Now I wait... :s
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    coco2787coco2787 member
    edited May 2018
    @PensiveCrayon you can do the NIPT pretty much anytime.  I had it done at 18 weeks with my son because I had an abnormal quad screen at 16 weeks.  

~Peter Pan 

*TW*
  • Options
    ckonsciderckonscider member
    edited May 2018
    morgantu said:
    i have no clue which brand of test i'm getting? Mine just said "first trimester screening". Should i be choosing? i'm super confused and hope it's covered by my insurance. I called the insurance company on thursday and they said covered if "medically necessary" then their documentation says first tri screening is "medically appropriate" for all women. Soooooo i think so? Ugh this is very complicated. 
    echo-charlietango  and @morgantu
    I called MaterniT21 and they said if you don't process through insurance the test costs $299. You need to first sign up through them I think and agree to take a survey, so they collect data and that's part of the lower cost.  If you are under 35 with no complicating conditions, it will likely not be covered by your insurance. 

Go through the "estimate my cost" here: https://www.integratedgenetics.com/patients/pregnancy/maternit21plus 

It's the "Every Mom Pledge," and this is the email I got after talking with customer service: 

By providing your acceptance to this email, you are acknowledging the following:
    (To accept, please reply to this email and place only the word APPROVED at the top of the email body)

• Integrated Genetics will contact you to participate in our Moms Helping Moms of Tomorrow initiative, and by replying APPROVED you acknowledge that we can email you this information
    • Integrated Genetics will bill your health plan for your genetic test(s)
    • If your health plan determines the genetic test(s) is covered, your bill will be the lesser of $299 per test or your financial responsibility as determined by your health plan
    • If your health plan determines that the genetic test(s) is not covered, your bill will be limited to $299 per test
    • This discount is offered in recognition of the value provided through your participation in the Moms Helping Moms of Tomorrow initiative and relates exclusively to the testing performed
    • The Moms Helping Moms of Tomorrow initiative questionnaire must be completed within 30 days following the performance of your testing services in order to be eligible for our discount program
    • Any other services ordered and performed at the request of your physician will be submitted to your health plan and you will be billed accordingly

I haven't done the test yet (will go to get blood drawn this week) but it was very easy to talk to their customer service.
  • Options
    I should be getting my Nipt results tomorrow(not sure what brand they used) and my nt scan is next tuesday.
    BabyFetus Ticker Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    Stupid questions:  what is NIPT?  And NT scan? 
  • Options
    hbmama21hbmama21 member
    edited May 2018
    @scaredunprepared NIPT stands for Non-Invasive Prenatal Testing. There are several “brands” but they all look for the major 3 trisomies, 13, 18, 21 and other genetic factors. They will usually also reveal the sex of the baby. It’s primarily covered for high risk/“AMA” moms (ama is advanced maternal age =>35 at birth, stupid term though). 

NT is a Nuchal Translucency test (spelling?). It looks at the thickness of drainage in the baby’s neck to determine potential underlying heart conditions that may/may not be related to other conditions like trisomies. It’s an ultrasound performed at 12 wks, often with first trimester screening bloodwork which looks at HCG levels and other indicators. 

ETA: also- not a stupid question. Totally valid. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    hkomhkom member
    @morgantu I have no idea what I'm doing either.  I just know that it's the basic one covered by my insurance and I had to get blood drawn before my 12 week appointment.  I think it's the one that just tests for indicators / whether I am a carrier for anything.

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    @hkom I called my insurance to find out what would be covered and only the NT scan + bloodwork is.  That's what we are doing.  I think that's what you are doing too?  If anything comes up as positive, we'll do a more precise test I guess and pay for it out of pocket.  Good luck at your scan on Friday!   I have mine scheduled for next Tuesday and getting through it with everything looking good seems like a big step forward.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @kadeephd I don't know the ins and outs of your insurance, but likely if you test as higher risk, your insurance would probably pay for more invasive testing.  Often they don't pay for the testing unless there is a "reason"
  • Options
    @Jen_Hoes That would be nice, but I'm not too hopeful.  The rep said on the phone that they do not cover any kind of genetic testing.  I have crappy student health insurance so it wouldn't surprise me if they refused, even if the NT scan suggests there could be a problem.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @hbmama21Thank you for the answers :)  I will be getting my NT done at my MFM appointment June 15, now that I know what it is.
  • Options
    My NT scan is may 31 and I’ve had the papers for blood work now for over a week. I’ve been so sick I keep rescheduling my appointments. I think the names of tests must be different in Canada, apart from the NT scan, as I’m not familiar with any of the terminology. 
    Many of you are talking about insurance, is anyone here from Canada? If you’re over 35 all genetic testing is free. 
    Anyway, I’ve been reading differing articles re: nausea and vomiting; some say it’s a good sign, others say it’s not. I’ve been incredibly sick until today (yay today!) and I’m very nervous about getting the results back. This is a rainbow baby. ❤️ 
    Will post results once I have them. 
  • Options
    I had my NIPT panorama test yesterday!  The nurse said results should take 5-7 days for the gender and about 10 for the genetic results.  I'm so anxious!
  • Options
    Waiting on our results now! Not too nervous. Mostly just excited. 
  • Options
    mch195mch195 member
    I just can’t decide whether I am committed to doing genetic testing or not. I have appointment next week with maternal fetal medicine for NT ultrasound. My insurance has a $2000 deductible for Natera lab. Out of pocket would be $450. Undecided because of cost and not being interested in more invasive confirmation testing. Anyone have to make a similar decision? I’ll be 1 day shy of 14 weeks  at appt. This is my first pregnancy and I’ll be 35 at delivery. No family history concerns.
  • Options
    AGK2015AGK2015 member
    @mch195 We went back and forth on NIPT and genetic carrier screening; for me, what ultimately made the decision was (a) I have a 4K yearly out of pocket max that I'm pretty sure I'll hit, so whether I'm paying that to Counsyl or to my OBGYN doesn't really matter and (b) knowing with any degree of certainty that our child has trisomies 13 or 18 would have impacted our decision to carry to term (21 would have been a tough conversation), and NIPT is more accurate than NT alone. We're pretty low risk, but we've had a couple reminders over the past two years that low risk doesn't mean no risk, so we never turn down a test.
  • Options
    AGK2015 said:
    ... we never turn down a test.
    Same. DH and I don't have any interesting genetic issues, so we were 50/50 about NIPT in the first place @mch195 . My OB was neutral and agreed that since we're under 35 (I'll be 34 at delivery) that we don't need it, but if we like the assurance, then go for it. We do want the assurance or heads-up that we'll have a special situation (we're keeping this LO regardless). We didn't really talk about NT scans, but that may just be because we're low risk and moving soon *shrugs shoulders*

Anniversary