September 2018 Moms
Options

The great big Baby Registry thread!!!

Re: The great big Baby Registry thread!!!

• Options
    jayliijaylii member
    @nackie I'm curious where you live. I live in the midwest and a knit blanket over baby will not be warm enough for our winters. All of my friends have used the car seat covers so I think this will be something we use daily this coming winter. 
  • Options
    nackienackie member
    jaylii said:
    @nackie I'm curious where you live. I live in the midwest and a knit blanket over baby will not be warm enough for our winters. All of my friends have used the car seat covers so I think this will be something we use daily this coming winter. 
    We live in the DC area. It generally gets down to the 20s in the winter. On the colder than normal days I threw two blankets on. Mostly on cold days we just went from the house to the car to inside wherever we we going to be so there wasn’t much time spent in the cold. If you live somewhere that gets really, really cold or you like going for long walks in the snow or something, you might need more. I just wanted to throw it out there that it wouldn’t necessarily be useful for every lifestyle. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    nackie said:
    jaylii said:
    We live in the DC area. It generally gets down to the 20s in the winter. On the colder than normal days I threw two blankets on. Mostly on cold days we just went from the house to the car to inside wherever we we going to be so there wasn’t much time spent in the cold. If you live somewhere that gets really, really cold or you like going for long walks in the snow or something, you might need more. I just wanted to throw it out there that it wouldn’t necessarily be useful for every lifestyle. 
    I'm in New England and I never used a car seat cover. Blankets worked just fine and we were gifted so many of those that I had plenty.
    _______________________________________________________________________________________________
    MMC 8/5/15 at 8 weeks
    DS born 9/13/16
    BFP 1/13/18 - EDD 9/20/18 - It's a boy!
  • Options
    I loved the car seat cover! I considered it a necessity. This is the one we had: 
    https://www.target.com/p/jj-cole-car-seat-cover-pink/-/A-13065415

Its not safe to wear a winter/bulky coat in a car seat, and I did not feel like blankets were enough. And they wouldn’t keep her top half covered at all the way she moved around. And if I used multiple I felt like one was always falling out, and getting dirty or I was tripping on it. The cover solved all of these issues for me! 

We’re in Boston (well, just outside it now!) and while we weren’t taking long winter walks it’s an urban environment so it’s not door-to-door from house to car (and no heated garage parking spots!) like it is in some more suburban areas, so even running errands we’d end up walking a block or so at least most of the time.
  • Options
    Oh, totally forgot my Chicco KeyFit came with a cover. I would use a blanket and the thing that came with the car seat. LOL at me saying we never used a cover. This is it below - it was one of the things I loved about this car seat. It has velcro to close it and kept DS nice and warm. Plus the whole thing comes off the car seat when it's too warm to need it.

I believe you only get one with the KeyFit Zip and KeyFit Magic versions.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
    MMC 8/5/15 at 8 weeks
    DS born 9/13/16
  • Options
    I registered for a nursing cover and never once used it. I just used muslin blankets. Also I have wayyyy too many bibs. People bought us tons of the cloth ones but my DD didn’t spit up much (luckily) and we always used wipeable/silicone ones for actual food.

For nursing pads I used washable ones. I hated how the disposable ones felt and I also felt that they didn’t stay in place as well, despite the sticky backs. The washable ones made it so easy and were way more comfortable.

Definitely stock up on heavy duty pads for after, and make sure you have comfy pjs. You’ll also need nursing bras (I found some great ones at Nordstrom’s) and nursing tops/tanks. I am fairly small chested and realized I could pull down some of my maternity tops and just wore those at home.

I love the skip hop changing pads. Easy to clean and they hold a few diapers and wipes which is what I honestly take with me at this point (I rarely use my full diaper bag).

I also bought pacifier clips (good for your registry) that also worked well as teethers. We attached teething rings to them after DD kept throwing them out of her stroller and losing them. https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01L7J1WCW/ref=mp_s_a_1_4_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1525491581&sr=8-4&keywords=itybity+teether&dpPl=1&dpID=31rS7YikEtL&ref=
  • Options
    yosemite2018  We could not get enough bibs - DD had reflux so she spit up A LOT. 

I agree with the nursing cover, I barely used it - I was more out in the open than I thought I would be. 
  • Options
    jayliijaylii member
    STMs - what are your opinions on the stretchy car seat covers like the one below? I like the idea that it can be used for multiple things-car seat, nursing cover, shopping cart etc Thoughts?

• Options
    jhjocelynjhjocelyn member
    edited May 2018
    @jaylii
    I love the idea of the multi-use covers, but can’t get on board. If you use it to protect baby from germs on the high chair, then pop it off to cover yourself and feed baby, aren’t you just transferring the germs from the chair to yourself n baby? Unless there is a designated “clean side” /“dirty side”? 

Take it w a grain of salt, we’re extremely germaphobic in my household thanks to dd’s cf. 

edited typos.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

bfp#1-10/29/12,EDD: 7/3/13. nothing found @ 1st u/s, natural mc 12/10/12. "Bean"

bfp#2-5/10/13! EDD: 1/18/14. "Peanut" Arrived 1/13/14. Diagnosed with Cystic Fibrosis

bfp#3- 9/26/14. EDD: 5/7/15. no heartbeat found @ 1st u/s, natural mc 10/23/14. "Little Bug"

**Psalm 139:16**

• Options
    nackienackie member
    @jhjocelyn I never thought about that, but it does make sense!  We never used one, DS was born in January and we didn’t spend much time out and about in the car seat when he was little. I used a swaddling cloth for a nursing cover but I’m thinking about getting a real one this time. 
  • Options
    @nackie It’s amazing how aware you become of germs when you have to be. DH and I were cringing yesterday at a sweet couple who’s baby kept tossing it’s chewy on the floor of the hospital lab waiting room, and they’d pick it back up and hand it back... pretty much if anything touched the floor w dd it immediately went in the “dirty” pile and she got something clean, or we wiped it down. My diaper bag consisted of clorox wipes and travel lysol spray as well as regualr baby supplies. 

bfp#1-10/29/12,EDD: 7/3/13. nothing found @ 1st u/s, natural mc 12/10/12. "Bean"

bfp#2-5/10/13! EDD: 1/18/14. "Peanut" Arrived 1/13/14. Diagnosed with Cystic Fibrosis

bfp#3- 9/26/14. EDD: 5/7/15. no heartbeat found @ 1st u/s, natural mc 10/23/14. "Little Bug"

**Psalm 139:16**

• Options
    I’m actually not a fan of the wrap around nursing cover. Mine always slid off my shoulders and exposed me. Plus it was hard to position DS under it. I’m getting one with a neck tie/boning this time. 

I ended up using a lot of cardigans to discreetly nurse in public (just wrapped one side around baby to cover the “goods.”)
  • Options
    nlc8424nlc8424 member
    @jaylii so I like the thought of one of those for the purpose of covering a carseat and covering a shopping cart, personally. Maybe I'm an exception to the rule but I didn't find it all that bothersome to not be covered in public as a FTM. DS would get fussy if he was covered and I just liked being able to see what I was doing, so I would probably would want a cover with boning like someone else had mentioned.
  • Options
    jayliijaylii member
    Thanks for the responses! What you're all saying makes a lot of sense. I think I'll put a nursing cover with boning on the list instead.
    @jhjocelyn Now that I think about it, what you're saying about germs makes a lot of sense! Putting it on a high chair might get it really dirty from food as well. 
    @nlc8424 I'm not sure how I'll feel about breastfeeding in public. My guess is that I'll want to be covered because I'm large chested.
  • Options
    nackienackie member
    @jaylii I was never comfortable nursing in public without some sort of cover. DS was very easily distracted and would just pop off to look around at the slightest noise. The cover kept me from flashing every one more than once!  It really depends on your and your baby’s comfort level
  • Options
    Yes, we used pacifier clips for non-pacifiers, too. And we have some sort of toy clip/strap things. When they're going through the stages of not being able to hold onto things and then throwing everything down, it was so nice to have. It minimized how much actually ended up on the floor.

I think these are what we have, but there's a ton of types. They're cheap if you don't end up using them, but we used them a lot. I would have never thought to buy them myself so I'm glad a couple of people gifted them to us.

https://www.amazon.com/Baby-Buddy-Secure-Toy-Highchairs/dp/B001DVRTEA/
    2/13 Blighted ovum, D&C -- 6/13 MC -- 8/14 DD born -- 3/17 MC -- 9/18 DD2 born
    Expecting again -- EDD 7/27/20
  • Options
    stothistothi member
    edited May 2018
    jhjocelyn said:
    @jaylii
    I love the idea of the multi-use covers, but can’t get on board. If you use it to protect baby from germs on the high chair, then pop it off to cover yourself and feed baby, aren’t you just transferring the germs from the chair to yourself n baby? Unless there is a designated “clean side” /“dirty side”? 

Take it w a grain of salt, we’re extremely germaphobic in my household thanks to dd’s cf. 

edited typos.
    I'm not even a proper germaphobe, I only do it as a hobby, but that was my first thought. That you could only use it for one at time so you don't transfer germs.
    We didn't bother to cover stuff though or try to avoid germs whole out and about because all the things to cover germs only work the first time unless you wash it in between every use. I honestly just didn't take my kiddo out much until I felt he was old enough to handle some germs.

Afm in regards to nursing covers, I never used them. Ever. If I was not fully comfortable where I was to just whip a boob out, I'd turn my back or step into another room (aisle, area, whatever) to get baby latched and then come back to continue doing what I was doing. I'm relatively small chested so the baby's head really did block the veiw of most of my breast, his mouth covers the nip, and my shirt would fall down over my boob if he unlatched so I just didn't feel the need to cover. Something else that works well to kinda cover but not really it's to tuck a muslin blanket behind you between your shoulder (opposite side from the side you are nursing on) and your chair  then drape it over baby from shoulder to butt and tuck it between your arm and baby or under your leg or whatever. It creates a little tent/visual block on that side but leaves baby's head totally free so you can see what you are doing and baby can breathe. This really only works to cover if you can position yourself so the peolpe around you are on the blanket side, but it's good for an uncrowded place when you just need a a little bit of extra cover but not full cover.

Eta: to cover or not to cover is totally a personal decision and I don't even give it a second thought about what other mamas need to do to be comfortable, I just accept and support.  Five layers of covers or take your entire shirt and bra off and nurse completely topless- it's about you and your baby, not the rest of us, so you do you mamas!
  • Options
    Any STM's+ want to weigh in on "baby holders?" With DS I generally carried him/held him everywhere or used a bouncer chair/plain boppy when he was 2 months + but now with a toddler in the picture, I'm wondering if it's worth it to invest in something like a Boppy newborn lounger. I'm sure I'll need my hands free more often. I also have a RNP, but will probably just reserve that for naps like I did for DS. I'm hoping to avoid buying a swing because we really don't have the room for that, either.
  • Options
    stothistothi member
    @Wishilivedinflorida I'm in the same boat as you. Wondering how to do this. My kiddo is a bit older than yours, he'll be 3 just after baby comes. I'm hoping that he'll be chill enough that I can still have this baby just be on a blanket on the floor with a regular boppy but am leaning towards getting a rnp this time.
  • Options
    We have a rnp which we will probably use for sleep (if he lets us) but last time I also used it for when I needed to shower, wash dishes, etc. I am also all for putting him on the floor for tummy time, using my tula carrier, and when he’s older we have a bouncer (once he sits up).
  • Options
    jayliijaylii member
    @Wishilivedinflorida I'm a FTM but a STM friend of mine recommended a Halo bassinest. She's loving hers and said it was great with a toddler in the house because it places baby high up and the base is very heavy/sturdy. 

I bought a lightly used for a $100 recently. 
  • Options
    jaylii said:
    @Wishilivedinflorida I'm a FTM but a STM friend of mine recommended a Halo bassinest. She's loving hers and said it was great with a toddler in the house because it places baby high up and the base is very heavy/sturdy. 

I bought a lightly used for a $100 recently. 
    That’s a great deal on that! I’m thinking more something for the living room. I have a cosleeper for the bedroom where baby should be safe to place if I need them out of the toddler’s reach. I guess I could always set up our PNP in the living room, but it’s so bulky! I think I’ll just spring for the lounger with my completion discount. It’ll only be $24 that way. 
  • Options
    Any STM's+ want to weigh in on "baby holders?" With DS I generally carried him/held him everywhere or used a bouncer chair/plain boppy when he was 2 months + but now with a toddler in the picture, I'm wondering if it's worth it to invest in something like a Boppy newborn lounger. I'm sure I'll need my hands free more often. I also have a RNP, but will probably just reserve that for naps like I did for DS. I'm hoping to avoid buying a swing because we really don't have the room for that, either.
    I have a swing, RNP, and bouncer seat. We have a multi-floor house and I didn't want to be carrying stuff up and down stairs all the time. In your case since you don't want to use the RNP I might look into the Boppy newborn lounger. I'm thinking of getting one in addition to still having all the above simply because DS1 hated tummy time so I'm hoping if I start earlier with DS2 it will go better and the Boppy lounger seems like the best bet.

It is also probably the cheapest additional item for you to pick up if you don't want to spend much on something.
    MMC 8/5/15 at 8 weeks
    DS born 9/13/16
  • Options
    @jaylii, I've heard the same thing. Does anyone have an opinion on whether the 360 Halo is that much better than a halo glider? I'm registered for the 360 but recently saw a lightly used glider and wasn't sure how important this feature is.
  • Options
    @Wishilivedinflorida @DanyTargaryen We loved the Boppy Newborn Lounger with #1! Super lightweight/easy to use on various surfaces and while we were at family/friends' houses. We also had a swing downstairs and our RNP mostly lived upstairs.
    Me: 32   DH: 32
    BFP #1: 1/23/2012  DD: Born 9/20/2012  <3
    BFP #2: 12/30/2017  DS: Due 9/10/2018  <3

• Options
    jayliijaylii member
    @runninginva The 360 swivel is great as a bassinet next to your bed because it allows you to easily move the bassinet part so you can get out of bed. I'm guessing the glider is intended for you to manual soothe baby with a gliding motion. The more expensive 360s do have vibrate and music gizmos but we bought the one without those features.
  • Options
    ashh2018ashh2018 member
    edited May 2018
    I think there was a thread a while back on carriers, but it was focused on wraps. I’m interested in getting a front carrier for baby, ideally one that DH and I could both adjust and use. We’re going to try some on in person at the store, but does anyone have recs for a sturdy front carrier that you both used? He’s 6’2 and I’m 5’5, neither of us are thin. Is this even a possibility?

ETA I’ve looked at “best of” lists and like the Ergobaby 4 position, and Lillebaby all season (?) but I’m looking to spend a little (a lot?) less
  • Options
    nlc8424nlc8424 member
    @ashh2018 I'm definitely not a baby wearing pro, but I think the amount of support and comfort you get from a baby carrier is going to be at least slightly reflected in its price. Also, it may be something to consider getting one for each of you so you don't have to constantly readjust it. I personally went for the lillebaby all seasons complete. I had tried a k'tan but probably needed one size down to be more comfortable. I also had a cheaper infantino that worked well for us but it didn't offer a ton of support. I hope others can chime in! 
  • Options
    @nlc8424 thank you! That’s a good point. Considering we both have back problems, this may be an area where it’s worth it to go with the higher end options. 
  • Options
    @ashh2018 I have the Lillebaby complete airflow (seriously it's so much cooler!) but the boring plain gray one, and it's only $125-no infant insert needed. And in the winter, it's easy to wrap a blanket or a coat over it while outside, and inside during any season it's much more comfortable. 
    1st born at 35+4 on 6/6/16
    Team green turned BLUE!
    2nd born at 38+6 on 8/30/18 
    Team green turned PINK!
    Due with #3 on 6/6/20 Team Green

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @ashh2018 - I have an Infantino Mei Tai sash and a Lillebaby Complete. The Infantino was cheap and was great for when DS was really little, but once we hit 3-4 months it didn't offer enough support for my back so I switched to the Lillebaby. I love it and it was worth every penny. If you don't want to spend that much you might be able to find some on their sale page if you're not super picky about the design or color, but they can be used from around 7lbs (IIRC) without an insert so there's nothing extra to buy.
    MMC 8/5/15 at 8 weeks
    DS born 9/13/16
  • Options
    @ashh2018 I got a wrap (I forgot the brand as I barely used it) and an Ergo 360. I hated both. I ended up getting a Tula and DD immediately fell asleep in it. My h uses it too. If you don’t mind used ones, you can find them for a lot cheaper than retail on FB b/s/t pages, or Target sometimes has them on sale. Since you’re in CA I do suggest a coast Tula (it has a mesh panel) which are cooler than the regular ones. Hopefully your local store or babywearing group has one to try on!
  • Options
    @ashh2018 I also recommend looking to see if there is a Babywearing International Chapter near you. The meetings are led by Volunteer Babywearing Educators who are super knowledgeable and can recommend carriers for you based on what you are looking for (carrying positions, ones that can cross straps in the back, etc.) I went to a meeting recently and there were probably 50+ carriers of all types in their lending library to try on and I discovered some new options I hadn't thought about. They also gave some good tips about nursing in carriers. +1 to joining some Facebook B/S/T groups for used carriers. In the Babywearing on a Budget group, all carriers must be listed below $100. You may also have luck with a local baby B/S/T page.
    Me: 32   DH: 32
    BFP #1: 1/23/2012  DD: Born 9/20/2012  <3
    BFP #2: 12/30/2017  DS: Due 9/10/2018  <3

• Options
    @ashh2018 There's a Bay Area Babywearing BST (buy/sell/trade) page on FB, too. Most of my babywearing things have been purchased used. Structured carriers are kind of like jeans, different models just fit different bodies more or less comfortably. Trying one on can really help narrow things down. I'd recommend one that doesn't need an infant insert for ease of use, less heat (especially for September babies), and one less thing to worry about purchasing. I hear good things about the Lillebaby carriers, Tula was fine for us, and I really like Kinderpack we have. We also had a Kanga XT for a while, which is a little harder to find and fits differently than a lot of the others, but I really liked it.
    2/13 Blighted ovum, D&C -- 6/13 MC -- 8/14 DD born -- 3/17 MC -- 9/18 DD2 born
    Expecting again -- EDD 7/27/20
  • Options
    Which bottles do you recommend to start? I’m trying to add those to my registry. I plan to breast feed. I like the idea of glass bottles, but I’m aware those could be problematic. I feel like someone on this board advised getting a few different options to start out with to see what the baby likes. I was a colicky baby, so I’m trying to be prepared for that karma-induced possibility as well. 
  • Options
    @magnolia209 FTM but from childcare experience my favorite bottles are the Lifetime Factory bottles (can turn into sippy cups/travel water cups) and for babies with acid reflux I like the Dr. Browns bottles. If you're doing the welcome boxes from Amazon/Babylist/Target you'll probably get a few sample bottles! We now have a Kiinde, Dr. Browns, and two Avent bottles. It's a good way to end up with a variety to see what your LO prefers. 
  • Options
    DanyTargaryenDanyTargaryen member
    edited May 2018
    @magnolia209 - We used Medela and Philips Avent Naturals. They were the only ones I bought before hand, but had a Nuk and Mam on had from store samples in case he didn't talk to the Medela or Avent.

I think we did a Product Spotlight thread on bottles at some point. Lets see if we can find that again.

ETA: Here you go! https://forums.thebump.com/discussion/12727230/product-spotlight-4-9-baby-bottles-accessories
    MMC 8/5/15 at 8 weeks
    DS born 9/13/16
  • Options
    @DanyTargaryen Thank you!!! That’s what I was looking for, but I couldn’t find it! 
  • Options
    Ok I’ve narrowed down my travel system choices!! I definitely like the Chicco keyfit 30 (lightweight car seat is my primary factor). Anyone have experience with the Bravo vs the Viaro for the stroller??