September 2018 Moms
Options

The great big Baby Registry thread!!!

What should you include? What should you skip? Suggestions, links, all the things! Let's talk about this :)

Re: The great big Baby Registry thread!!!

• Options
    I need this thread so badly!!!! I was planning on starting to add stuff to our registry this weekend. 
    Me: 34 | DH: 33
    Married Aug. 2013
    TTC #1 Sep. 2016
    ***TW***
    BFP Jan. 15, 2017; MMC Mar. 4, 2017 at 10w6d
    BFP Jun. 5, 2017; MMC Aug. 2, 2017 at 11w6d
    BFP Nov. 20, 2017; ended in CP
    All the tests. Everything normal except treated for ureaplasma and DH potentially has high DNAF.
    BFP Dec. 25, 2017; EDD Sep. 5, 2018; DD arrived Aug. 26th
    My chart: https://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/63f71d

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Agreed about limiting clothes and blankets. Most people like to pick out clothes on their own, but if you register for them they feel like they can only pick those ones. I think we got more clothes as a result of not registering for any because people went to the store and just bought everything they saw that was cute. And if your friends/family are anything like mine you’ll get a ton of homemade blankets and never use the store bought ones. 
  • Options
    @stothi What. Do people actually do that?! That's ridiculous!
    Me: 34 | DH: 33
    Married Aug. 2013
    TTC #1 Sep. 2016
    ***TW***
    BFP Jan. 15, 2017; MMC Mar. 4, 2017 at 10w6d
    BFP Jun. 5, 2017; MMC Aug. 2, 2017 at 11w6d
    BFP Nov. 20, 2017; ended in CP
    All the tests. Everything normal except treated for ureaplasma and DH potentially has high DNAF.
    BFP Dec. 25, 2017; EDD Sep. 5, 2018; DD arrived Aug. 26th
    My chart: https://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/63f71d

• Options
    nlc8424nlc8424 member
    edited March 2018
    I apologize in advance for the multiple posts but I'm doing this as I think of it.

I liked the swaddleme and halo swaddles for newborn age. I also still use a muslin sleep sack for DS and it's great for a light layer so he doesn't overheat.

I think I've mentioned this once upon a time but I really loved using the My brest friend nursing pillow. It provides a lot of support and is adjustable which I really liked. My back, shoulders and neck were super sore for quite a while, and while the boppy is ok, it sits on your lap and doesn't stay in place very well.
  • Options
    starla said:
    @stothi What. Do people actually do that?! That's ridiculous!
    We put all kinds of crazy stuff on our amazon registry for the completion discount, but I added them like the day before I planned to buy them. I’ve seen registries that had all kinds off stuff obviously for mom and dad when I was looking for something for the baby shower though. I definitely side eye that and would never buy it. 
  • Options
    I didn’t register for anything for after the infant stage with my daughter...I learned so much about the types of products I loved/hated those first 6-12 months, I don’t think I would have like the stuff I thought I would like. We also didn’t have a lot of storage space at the time!  Just something to consider.

i suggest registering for at least a few things that show the theme(s) you like: nautical, jungle animals, farm animals, woodland animals, sports, etc. It’ll really help people who want to buy stuff off-registry get something you like!

if you’re having more than one shower, I highly recommend making one a “book shower” and one a “clothes shower”, for example, and don’t have a registry for those. 
  • Options
    @nackie my son was such a puker than we used a flannel receiving blanket folded in half as a burp cloth for a while. 
  • Options
    I’m so happy you started this thread. I am so overwhelmed. I just gave my coworker a Visa gift card for her shower bc I literally freak out any time I look at Buy Buy Baby (where she was registered) or any other baby store. 
  • Options
    Loved:
    Rock n play (with auto rock)
    Gerber cloth diapers for burp cloths
    Butt paste
    Dohm sound machine
    Vicks cool mist humidifier with insert for Vick’s pads
    Arms Reach Cosleeper
    Skip Hop whale bathtub
    Boogie wipes
    Halo swaddles and sleepsacks (DS wears the early Walker kind now)
    manual breast pump
    Lansinoh cooling pads for nipple soreness
    Soothie pacifiers while little and Nuk pacifiers for later
    frame stroller for infant seat

Useless for me:

Nosefrieda (plain bulb suction works better IMO)
    PNP with changing table top that flips to infant insert—it didn’t hold up well—I preferred the plain PNP
    sleepers with snaps—just stick with zippers!

• Options
    Wondering your thoughts on requesting gift cards for our shower? We live in a 1 bedroom plus den(baby's room) condo and are limited to space. We both have big families and know they are going to spoil us but we would rather save money for purchasing items when needed. We really don't have the room for lots of toys, extra clothes, etc. just the necessities. Trying my best to live a minimalist lifestyle here. Also at our party I dislike the idea of sitting down for a long period of time opening gift after gift all eyes on me awkwardness, I would rather have a fun mix and mingle co-ed together with family and friends and have a box ready for cards and gift cards. This is doable right? Thanks for listening :)
  • Options
    @be_love I also felt the same way about awkwardly opening a ton of gifts in front of people. I would have preferred more gift cards and I personally wouldn't judge that and would gladly get a new mom one. Also I would ask for receipts for everything so you can return whatever you don't want/need.
  • Options
    @nlc8424 thanks for your response. Yes, requesting receipts is a great idea. We will have to think of a nice way to word our specifics on the invitation.
  • Options
    @nackie that is wonderful news! I haven't started any registries yet so I will keep my eyes peeled for gift card options, my cup of tea! 

@jhjocelyn great idea for timing gift opening with eating. I will consider that for sure. For now I'm leaning towards spreading the word that we will be opening the gifts on our own the following day, like you'd do after a wedding. That way we have more time to spend with our guests.
  • Options
    @be_love @nlc8424 One of my best friends HATES opening gifts in front of people, so her baby shower hosts asked guests to bring their gifts unwrapped. They were set out all around the room so people could walk around and look at them while having more time to socialize versus sitting and watching gift opening. It worked great and didn’t make her uncomfortable. 

@Wishilivedinflorida Are you planning to use the Rock and Play again this time around? I loved ours with my DD and recently bought the automatic one for #2. However, I’ve seen some articles recently that are swaying me to use a regular bassinet instead due to safety concerns...would love to hear your thoughts! 
    Me: 32   DH: 32
    BFP #1: 1/23/2012  DD: Born 9/20/2012  <3
    BFP #2: 12/30/2017  DS: Due 9/10/2018  <3

• Options
    Loved:
    White noise machine 
    Humidifier 
    Boogie Wipes
    Cloths and receiving blankets
    Chair/swing
    Highchair 
    Nose Frida
    Play mat for tummy time
    Diaper Genie and refills
    Whale tub

Not so much:
    Bumbo
    Swaddlers (DD never likes to be swaddled)

At our shower we did not get many clothes at all or dipes, so we bought those ourselves. We did get a million blankets ... 
    And we got lots of lotions and bath stuff which I did not like because DD had sensitive skin and we could not use them. 
  • Options
    southernlady07 I hate opening gifts in front of everyone too, so stressful! At my shower, I was sweating the whole time and it was not cause I was pregnant in August.  :D
  • Options
    What are the best places to register?
    STMs, when did you start it?
  • Options
    I loved babylist because you can pull from any website, it was the only registry I set up last time
  • Options
    Redpuma119  I registered at BRU and Buy Buy Baby. I started the registry when I found out I was expected. I used it as a checklist too. As I saw things come on sale, I bought them and I could keep track of what I bought. 
  • Options
    And yeah, I went to a shower before where they did not open the gifts and I was disappointed. 
  • Options
    jayliijaylii member
    edited March 2018
    @jhjocelyn I bought the baby bargains book and am finding it so useful!

STM - where/in what did your baby sleep the first few months? I need ideas. 

I'm a FTM but I'd encourage you guys to think about the weight of items like bucket car seats and strollers. I'm 2.5 years post a serious back injury that resulted in two herniated discs so this is on my mind. One thing I learned from my physical therapists is how easy it is for anyone to injure their back, so be careful.

With weight as a consideration, I've selected a Graco car seat which weighs 8lbs, by far the lightest of the selection. As someone else mentioned, car seats are safety tested, so a Graco is just as safe as more expensive options.  Also have settled on the Baby Jogger City Mini GT stroller (20lbs). 

Edited because an emoji on mobile erased half my post!
  • Options
    I will say that although I did not feel comfortable opening gifts in front of guests for an extended period of time I did do that during cake/food. And like others said, a lot of people weren't really paying attention all that much. I think maybe my husband showed up at some point and helped open gifts too to speed up the process a bit. 
  • Options
    This isn't so much a registry rec as a "baby supplies in general" rec.

If you can sew or if a family member sews (and they don't mind sewing for you), my aunt made these great receiving blankets. She made a 42" square with a narrow hem, so nothing too complicated. It sounds huge but they were great for swaddling. They also got used for car seat blankets, snugglies, and just a spot to lay her on the floor.

I want to say she used cotton flannel?
  • Options
    @be_love No offense, but I’d be super pissed if I went to a shower and the guest of honor didn’t open my gift after I spent the time to pick something out for them. Also, I think it is poor etiquette to request gift cards or receipts on an invite. The purpose of a shower is to shower the Mom-to-be with gifts, well wishes, etc. You can subtly suggest gift cards on your registries and hope for receipts. I think most people include receipts out of courtesy, anyway. But asking for certain things, telling people how to spend their money, and not opening gifts is a no-no in my book. Is about your guests giving things to you. Take whatever you get and be gracious. If you can’t return a gift and definitely won’t use it, then pass it along to someone who will or sell it on consignment. 

I hope this didnt come off too harsh, but I don’t want your guests to think you are being rude. I get where you are coming from, but there are certain things you can’t avoid. (Like 8 million homemade blankets!) 
    All good @Wishilivedinflorida I totally see your point but this party is not a traditional shower, we aren't even calling it a shower, name TBD. My guest all know me well and I am comfortable letting them know ahead of time about our registry and our request for gift cards doesn't have to be subtle as you register for what you need. This is a first time big party for my partner and I as we aren't married and we look forward to spending an evening with family and friends in celebration of our growing love. There will be plenty of time for expressing our gratitude at the party and in our thank you cards.