July 2018 Moms
Options

Questions w/o 4/9

Re: Questions w/o 4/9

• Options
    @gingerbride26 as long as it can be cleaned and is still in good condition, I'll take it. My mom has a bunch of stuff from her friends that she got before she even knew I was pregnant (wishful thinking on her part), so I guess I'll be shopping in my mom's basement, too.
  • Options
    @supersara2 if you’re having a shower you could always stick it on your registry and see if someone gets it for you. You could also get one just in case but keep it in the box and return if not needed. I agree with having a place all around the house to put baby down. My house is pretty small but we still had a swing, rock n play, pack n play, bassinet, crib...sounds excessive when I type it out but we used it all. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @gingerbride26 I am also getting a Mamaroo for free from a friend!! I have always wanted one but didn't want to fork over the cash for it so I am super pumped to be getting it this week. Also, I didn't think that used baby stuff was a controversial topic! There are so many swap groups and massive organized consignment sales by me that it just seems so normal and expected to buy everything you need used.

Isabella & Julian & and now #3!
  • Options
    I had a place all over the house to put baby down, as some others have said. I never wanted to fork over the cash for the bassinet either, since the crib was really close to the bedroom in both my old house and this house, but the way everyone talks about feeding the baby in bed, changing on the bed, and putting them back..it makes so much sense! I got out of bed, went to the nursery, fed, changed, and then went and Bumped until I could finally fall back asleep. We eventually went to formula so this was only killer for a few weeks but I am hoping that keeping the routine in the bed will be doable for the hubs and help keep me sane! 
  • Options
    @flockofmoosen3 DD LOVED the mamaroo it was a LIFESAVER those first couple months, was so sad when she outgrew it.  They fit in it for such a short time, so happy I didn't shell out full price for it!  Maybe it's become more mainstream since my last BMB, a lot of women felt very strongly about only having new items for baby.  I'm all about saving money and hate single-use items. @SmashJam I must confess...I totally used to just put DD down on the floor on a quilt, her floor mat, or the play gym instead of hauling the bassinet all around or having multiples. Did a lot of wearing too when working from home. The Moses basket detached from the base so we'd bring that downstairs for longer dinners.

I'm a little worried about all the MOTN stuff this time, DH sleeps like the dead and with my back I'm worried about the lifting out of the bassinet at that angle etc.  I looked at the halo side sleeper but that pull down bar is still pretty stiff and difficult to maneuver from a laying position.  For now I'm going to stick to the bassinet we have...no use spending another $100-$200 for a second bassinet unless there's a problem, especially since I'm 99% sure this is our last baby.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @gingerbride26 the only thing I would say about the Halo is you can adjust the height so it is perfectly lined up with the height of your bed...I agree, the pull down bar is stiff, but the difference between reaching down or up into a bassinet/pack and play, vs. reaching into a bassinet that is perfectly lined up with your bed, could help your back. I see them used on Craigslist/Facebook a lot. Maybe this wouldn't apply to you, my bed is unusually tall so standard bassinets and pack and play were much shorter and involved too much middle of the night reaching for my liking. 
  • Options
    Is it too early for me to freak out about baby's positioning? Baby's currently like sideways/diagonal at almost 28 weeks. I had already planned to begin seeing a prenatal chiropractor to prevent any issues so I have a consult this week, but curious of anyone else's experience with making sure baby is in the right position!
  • Options
    @ckmb_knottie it is a bit early:) but it's good to start thinking about that. Check out spinningbabies.com for some useful exercises and practices to ensure good baby positioning. I'm also 28 weeks and I have a US at 29 to check growth but I'm pretty sure he is transverse now (like yours). My chiropractor told me not to worry until 35 weeks although maybe a bit sooner if your baby is measuring big (my boy is on the smaller side so far).
  • Options
    @kissableviv I was just checking out spinningbabies! What types of adjustment does your chiropractor do? I'm not sure what to expect. 
  • Options
    @ckmb_knottie you're not alone - i've been thinking about it a lot even though I know there's still plenty of time.  DS is frank breech and transverse in the exact same position every ultrasound.  I have a growth scan at 32 weeks so I'm going to just not think about it until then.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @ckmb_knottie check to see if the chiropractor you’re seeing is certified In the Webster technique. That’s the technique that is helpful in trying to get baby to torn head down. Basically they have this special table that they use where the bottom drops down, sorry it’s hard to explain but it doesn’t hurt or anything. But I do think it’s early to be concerned. Baby is still small enough to flip all around at this point. Mine was transverse at 24 weeks and head down at 27 weeks. I think he’s still turning around in there based on the different areas im feeling kicks. 
  • Options
    @ckmb_knottie yes like @zande2016 my chiropractor is certified in Webster technique but she has not done any work on me for baby positioning yet, I see her once a month and she works on my hips, shoulders, and usually adjust my upper back.
  • Options
    Anyone invest in a belly band yet? My Dr suggested one at my 28 week appointment yet because I am already feeling so uncomfortable with a lot of hip, back and pelvic pain. And climbing stairs is seriously so painful I opt for the elevator everytime. They said a belly band should help a lot with this.. any recommendations on what bands to use?
  • Options
    @kbernal2021 I haven't needed one yet, the only one I'm familiar with is the belly bandit. 

So I looked at my blood values from the latest test then did for anemia. I'm a carrier for a form of anemia but I don't have symptoms, however my values always make it look like I'm anemic. My OB told me to take iron but I was nervous because I heard it can make you constipated. I compared the test to my pre prego one from July last year and one value was indeed lower. The rest was better or the same.

I caved in and got the rainbow light iron pills. Anyone taking iron and experiencing constipation? I started today so we'll see... I was told to take a pill every other day.
  • Options
    @kissableviv wish i could remember the brand i took with DS i got them specifically because they results in little to no constipation. I’ll keep thinking...

@kbernal2021 i got a belly support from motherhood that was on sale ($5) and pretty simple. I’ve used it a few times now when I’ll be on my feet more than usual. I got one at a consignment sale but it was too big and too many pieces to it. It was a BRU brand. I see one advertised on FB by possum patch that looks pretty comfortable.
  • Options
    @kissableviv I have been constipated taking the pills and had to stick to liquid. Even then, I only had luck with one brand, Gaia PlantForce Liquid Iron, not giving me constipation. 
  • Options
    Any second time moms have any experience with using a compression belt/postpartum girdle for flattening the belly after pregnancy? I've read mixed reviews...wondering if it's something I should invest in this time. Any particular brand you'd recommend?
  • Options
    @foxbaby2016 I bought this one off Amazon for after DD was born.  Not really sure how much it helped with flattening.  I honestly more use it as a back support for my bulging discs, but i'm an hour glass and it tends to roll up on the edges if I'm being active which is annoying.  I'd heard more positive results on girdles for c-sections than vaginal births though...
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    wildtotwildtot member
    edited April 2018
    @foxbaby2016 yes highly recommend it! This has been mentioned a few time on one of the ask stm threads. After delivery your torso feels all squishy and unsupported. It also helped shrink your waist faster and it help me with my diastasis recti. I had the belly bandit and didn’t like it. I’m looking at this one right now.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01EVGLMM8/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B01EVGLMM8&linkCode=as2&tag=momming-20&linkId=9c192bb2881193ecb0cc3cba802cb926

Edited words and got trapped with double ads grr
  • Options
    @foxbaby2016 yes I got the Bellefit! Kinda pricey and definitely not comfortable bit worth it and I think that and the workouts I did on fit2b helped my diastasis. 
  • Options
    @wildtot did your belly band help the pelvic pain? I'm seeing bands rated best 5 stars yet the comments all say they didn't notice a difference in pelvic/hip pain so I'm torn on if purchasing one is even worth it since thats what i am trying to really target. 
  • Options
    @kbernal2021 I bought this belly band: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0796RGHVT/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It helps a little with back/pelvic pain but I mostly notice a difference in how my belly itself feels.  When I don't wear the band my abdominal muscles feel sore and tired at the end of the day.  The band helps with that a lot.
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    foxbaby2016foxbaby2016 member
    edited April 2018
    Thanks ladies!

@wildtot Thank you!! I'll check out the STM thread too - it didn't come up when I searched but that's not surprising...TB hasn't been very nice to me lately   :p

Edited to add: @wildtot The band you linked has great reviews and it's super affordable. I think I might try that one out. Thanks for the recommendation
  • Options
    michelle_birdmichelle_bird member
    edited April 2018
    re: support bands - I have 2.  One is a Gabriela and it's too stiff for me.  I have little to no torso, so there's no room between bump and hips/legs, so when I sit in this one it pushes up into my bump.  The other is an AVMED brand and is much softer, though I still rarely use it.  I'll probably start more soon.

This is the one I prefer: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0113WE0QS/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This is the one I don't like: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000WFY16C/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
  • Options
    @kbernal2021 one is from motherhood and the other is BRU. The BRU is too big and too many pieces to it. I occasionally use the motherhood one and it helps prevent late night discomfort for me. If I’m on my feet more than usual without it my hips,back and legs hurt way more at night. I carry pretty low too so it’s helped the usual pain i get on my right pelvic area below my belly. I can’t seem to find the motherhood one online anymore so maybe it was discontinued but it looks like this. It’s one whole piece and side straps provide added support if needed.

• Options
    @wildtot thank you!! I am definitely going to order one tonight!
  • Options
    zg49zg49 member
    Thoughts on kombucha? I've never had it but was offered a small glass today and drank it without thinking about it. Is it an issue??

• Options
    @zg49 I love kombucha and still drink it. I asked my OB about it and he said it's 100% ok. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @zg49 My OB was fine with me drinking kombucha as long as it wasn't a home brew. Not sure why, it's fermented anyways. I love it especially on warmer days!

The fermentation can mean there is a little bit of alcohol in it, not much, but apparently enough that the nanny state I live in now requires you to be 21 and show ID to buy certain brands. I find that amusing because there is more alcohol in cough medicine I think and you don't need ID for that here.
  • Options
    @noideawhatshesdoing you need an id in California for all cough and cold syrups, but not for kombucha!

I've also had kombucha throughout pregnancy:)
  • Options
    I think the home brew issue with kombucha is that you can screw it up and make yourself sick potentially. 
  • Options
    ckmb_1250ckmb_1250 member
    edited April 2018
    @zg49 with kombucha, just make sure you read the label before drinking it - Around here at least, many kombucha companies are becoming more like craft breweries, going to beer festivals etc and making drinks with up to 8% alcohol, which is like an IPA. If it's a home brew, it's hard to control the amount of alcohol that ends up in it, without a regulated/official label from an actual company. 
  • Options
    My OB is the lone dissenter - she told me to avoid kombucha.  I can't remember why - I asked early on in my pregnancy after having one and loving it.
  • Options
    Fridays are so hard for me. I get into this ridiculous funk because DH just lets it all hang out on Fridays and cuts loose and relaxes, stays up late, etc. I have such a hard time turning off the stay at home mom thing because for me Saturday is just the same as Friday, Thursday, etc....I have the same responsibilities all day, every day, and often still without DH, so its no different. I end up resenting the shit out of him and being in a funk all night, which isn't helpful. I'm usually fine by Saturday morning, but sometimes get re-annoyed by Saturday night because DH's late night Friday often leaves him going to bed early Saturday which means I spend zero time with him all weekend (except parenting and doing stuff around the house) AND leaves me with all the bed time chores (dogs out, fed, starting coffee) by myself. 

Anyone SAHM (or anyone else) have trouble with this too? Or does anyone have any tips for being less of a Debbie Downer at the start of the weekend? 
  • Options
    Weird question - anyone used New Skin Liquid Bandage or something similiar for a cut while pregnant? I hate using band aids because the cut is on my finger so every time I wash my hands it needs changing. I can't find any warnings about using it during pregnancy online, but it smells pretty chemically so I'm side-eyeing it.
  • Options
    @SmashJam I don’t have the exact struggles but my H always gets home from work late and then we usually stay up late while he eats dinner and we watch tv for a bit. Lately I’ve been feeling extra tired and not wanting to go bed at almost midnight because we get up at 6:15 (which isn’t THAT early but it feels like it). H wouldn’t fault me for wanting to go to bed without him but I don’t want to start a trend of that. And I can’t really complain about him being out so late because he’s legit working and that’s the only money coming in for us. Time management in addition to general marital relationships is so hard. Adulting is hard! What would make you resent him less? Could you ask him for extra help earlier in the day on Friday so you could both relax after your kiddo is in bed? 

@texasmainer I’ve used it before and it hurts like crazy. That’s the only thing I remember about using it lol. My mom swears by super glue on cuts and says it doesn’t burn.  I would imagine that it’s even more chemically though lol. 
  • Options
    @texasmainer KeriCure Liquid Bandage! found it on amazon. Says "no harsh chemicals" and is made from water a some sort of liquid polymer, that's all. Less ingredients than liquid bandage!

• Options
    @SmashJam I’m in a similar situation, not weekends because that’s when I do work but DH gets most of Thursday’s and Sundays off. I do all house/baby things unless he happens to be home for it, maybe once or twice a week.
    For me I try to consciously give myself a “break” when DH is off and I’ll put off some house things for another day.. Which usually means I have a messy house on Friday, but its worth it sometimes.
    If DH is having an easy week I’ll ask him to do specific things to “help.” I hate calling it help but he does bring in 90% of our income so I do feel more like the home is more my job than his and he seems more willing to do something if he thinks he’s doing me a favor rather than me nagging him. 
    I used to clean the house before bed and DH would get so crabby that I wasn’t in bed spending time with him, so I would ask him to do things while I was putting DS to bed. That didn’t last long because my nighttime energy is gone by 5 these days, but it worked for a bit. 
  • Options
    Anyone preparing a will? The August board got me thinking and also because my hospital has asked me every time I go in. DH doesn’t like talking about such sad things but we haven’t really set anything on paper. 
  • Options
    @wildtot we have no wills or guardianships or trusts set up...and we're expecting #3. It's like the only adult thing we haven't done yet and it's fairly important. I was going to start researching this month.

Isabella & Julian & and now #3!