Re: Baby medical care and ailments

• Options
    I hope it doesn't bother her too badly!
    Me (31) & DH (32)
    Married 9/27/2014
    DD Born 6/23/16
    Baby #2 Due 3/7/20
  • Options

We went to the doc (for the 4th time in 2 months) just to see if the swelling was impacting her vision at all. It's not, so now I'm just the mom that goes to the doctor because her daughter has a mosquito bite. He said in addition to her having a reaction to them, around the eyelids are especially sensitive.
    DD1: June '16 DD2: March ‘19 :::: Married since 2011 :::: USN Wife ::::
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    meggyme said:

We went to the doc (for the 4th time in 2 months) just to see if the swelling was impacting her vision at all. It's not, so now I'm just the mom that goes to the doctor because her daughter has a mosquito bite. He said in addition to her having a reaction to them, around the eyelids are especially sensitive.
    Poor thing! That looks terrible though, I would have gone too.
  • Options
    meggyme said:

Poor thing :-( I would have taken Damien to see the dr too if he were in her shoes. Itake him in when he catches a new cold as a "just in case" haha, yup I'm that mom too.
  • Options
    Poor baby! I'm a nurse and I would have taken my LO to the pediatrician for that too, don't be hard on yourself for that!
    Me (31) & DH (32)
    Married 9/27/2014
    DD Born 6/23/16
    Baby #2 Due 3/7/20
  • Options
    Thanks everyone. Wouldn't you know it she got another bite right on her nose. I watched it swell up in the course of an hour. She looks like she's been in a fight. Poor little baby bruiser... time to invest in some deet.
  • Options
    meggyme said:
    Thanks everyone. Wouldn't you know it she got another bite right on her nose. I watched it swell up in the course of an hour. She looks like she's been in a fight. Poor little baby bruiser... time to invest in some deet.
    Oh no! Definitely some baby bug spray. I don't know about the effectiveness, but there are also the bug repelling bracelets you can get. It looks like she's probably allergic to a protein in the bite. Hopefully something she is able to grow out of
    Me: 32 DH: 31 *The old lady by 5 whole weeks*
    Married: 11/2013
    M: 6/2016  E: 5/2018
  • Options
    meggyme said:
    Oh no! Definitely some baby bug spray. I don't know about the effectiveness, but there are also the bug repelling bracelets you can get. It looks like she's probably allergic to a protein in the bite. Hopefully something she is able to grow out of
    Doc said 10-20% deet is fine. Trouble is that it's hard to find. He also said picardin works, but it's hard to find in more than 5-7% formulas. So it'll be long sleeves and pants. Luckily it's cooling off a bit here.
  • Options
    I have this one but haven't used it yet. It's DEET free though. 
  • Options
    I have the same, but have yet to try as well.  Hope she heals up quickly @meggyme

Tristan broke out into a rash on Sunday, two days after his 15 month shots... But we also hung out with a cat and a dog on Saturday and he may have gotten too warm when we went to the Apple orchard on Sunday.  So now we are off to the doctor this evening to get it checked out since it hasn't cleared up.  WE WERE JUST THERE!!  oh well, better to know just in case.
  • Options
    Jackie's better now. The swelling bruised a bit when it cleared up, so she looks like she got in a fight.
  • Options
    meggyme said:
    Jackie's better now. The swelling bruised a bit when it cleared up, so she looks like she got in a fight.

I'm the same way in terms of reaction to mosquito bites.  I also get random hives normally on my face and the bites and hives irch and swell so bad it looks worse than it is.  Dr said my body produces excess histamine and simply reacts more to things that irritate my skin.  Not that I'm allergic, just that any reaction I have will swell. 
  • Options
    meggyme said:

I'm the same way in terms of reaction to mosquito bites.  I also get random hives normally on my face and the bites and hives irch and swell so bad it looks worse than it is.  Dr said my body produces excess histamine and simply reacts more to things that irritate my skin.  Not that I'm allergic, just that any reaction I have will swell. 
    The first couple of mosquito bites of the season usually result in swelling for me but after that, it's just the annoying itch whenever I get bit.
  • Options
    I think my LO got Roseola - he ran a fever from Friday-Saturday evening and then on Sunday was extra fussy and broke out in a rash. The rash went away by Tuesday and didn't bother LO. Now he's VERY VERY fussy.
  • Options
    I think my LO got Roseola - he ran a fever from Friday-Saturday evening and then on Sunday was extra fussy and broke out in a rash. The rash went away by Tuesday and didn't bother LO. Now he's VERY VERY fussy.
    Poor guy! I hope he feels better soon!!!
  • Options
    So I just got a letter from our insurance that Jackie's liquid vitamins were recalled for bacteria growth. It makes me wonder if the "virus" she had a few weeks ago was related to that. It would have been a week or two after she started the new bottle. I go tomorrow to exchange it at the pharmacy.
  • Options

Preston had that and he was only fussy during the fever and the rash but once gone he was fine.   Give him another day or so with lots of extra comfort and see if he relaxes a bit.  Generally the fussiness shouldn't last too long so hopefully he'll feel better soon. 
  • Options
    Damien's battling a small area of diaper rash on his balls that we can't seem to shake. He did a "naked" day yesterday and I kept him home today to do it again, plus added baking soda baths and coconut oil to the see if those will help. Might be keeping him home tomorrow as well (also kept him home because it's super hot here and daycare doesn't have AC). 
  • Options
    LO has had this persistent phleghmy cough that even antibiotics cant kill. The cough comes and goes and sometimes, he'll have a horrible dry cough. I think he's allergic to something, but our doctor wont order an allergy test because he's "too little."
  • Options
    LO has had this persistent phleghmy cough that even antibiotics cant kill. The cough comes and goes and sometimes, he'll have a horrible dry cough. I think he's allergic to something, but our doctor wont order an allergy test because he's "too little."
    Too little? That seems silly. I really thought they could do allergy tests fairly young, younger than a year. That could be a total lie though. I guess it's time to experiment and try to start eliminating things for a time, or avoid the outdoors on high pollen/mold/etc days, depending on what you think it might be.
    Me: 32 DH: 31 *The old lady by 5 whole weeks*
    Married: 11/2013
    M: 6/2016  E: 5/2018
  • Options
    Too little? That seems silly. I really thought they could do allergy tests fairly young, younger than a year. That could be a total lie though. I guess it's time to experiment and try to start eliminating things for a time, or avoid the outdoors on high pollen/mold/etc days, depending on what you think it might be.
    Agree. I would try eliminating things and see if you can find the cause. My neice was diagnosed with several food allergies when she was around a year but I don't know if she was tested or how they came to that conclusion.
  • Options
    Jackie was prescribed generic liquid zyrtec for an "allergy" cough she developed last spring with no allergy testing. Her dad has seasonal allergies, so maybe that's why.
  • Options
    Yeah LO was prescribed Histex but insurance isn't covering it so it's a whopping 80$. But it seems to work
  • Options
    Yeah LO was prescribed Histex but insurance isn't covering it so it's a whopping 80$. But it seems to work
    Could you talk to your doc about OTC allergy meds? Or a generic?
  • Options
    Damien was stung by a bee....or sweat bee...something bee-like on his cheek, near his eye, yesterday. After crying for about 5min he was back to his usual self. I used a cool baby wipe on his face for a bit since we were out and about. His cheek was red for the rest of the day but not swollen and didn't seem to be painful. This morning he has a bit of swelling under his eye (near the sting site) but overall he isn't bothered. We're keeping an eye on it nonetheless. I read redness and swelling can happen for a while.

20min after the sting 

This morning

• Options
    Damien was stung by a bee....or sweat bee...something bee-like on his cheek, near his eye, yesterday. After crying for about 5min he was back to his usual self. I used a cool baby wipe on his face for a bit since we were out and about. His cheek was red for the rest of the day but not swollen and didn't seem to be painful. This morning he has a bit of swelling under his eye (near the sting site) but overall he isn't bothered. We're keeping an eye on it nonetheless. I read redness and swelling can happen for a while.

20min after the sting 

This morning

Poor little guy! I'm glad he's taking it well.
  • Options
    meggyme said:
    Could you talk to your doc about OTC allergy meds? Or a generic?
    He thinks that LO is too young to take OTC
  • Options
    Jack came home from day care on Monday with 104 fever.. Took him to the DR and saw the nurse practitioner  :'( She tested him for Strep and it came back negative.. they also did another throat culture to send off.. SOO I've just been managing his fever since Monday. I called today to find out if they got the results and to ask about his fever and mentioned I thought it may be the flu. A nurse I've never seen called back to schedule an appointment (with the NP again since that is who we saw on Monday) and when I asked about the culture results she said, I honestly don't know if they came back.. Maybe you should have checked that before you called me?? 

I am so frustrated and already told H I may loose my cool at his appointment this afternoon.. 
  • Options
    Poor guy! That is so frustrating. I hope they are able to give you some answers and medication to help.
  • Options
    Poor Jack!! I hope he's on the mend too!
    Me (31) & DH (32)
    Married 9/27/2014
    DD Born 6/23/16
    Baby #2 Due 3/7/20
  • Options
    Thanks, y'all! We just got back from the Dr and it is Strep.. at least we have some antibiotics now! 
  • Options
    Poor guy!  Hope it clears up soon now that you know what it is and have medicine. 
  • Options
    Ugh strep was no fun. We had to deal with that too. He had a high fever and was simply miserable. After 2 doses and a popsicle he was way better! 
  • Options
    @bankssl1 Aww strep sucks! I'm sorry he's having to go through that and hope it goes away quickly!
  • Options
    @adiaz132003 I'm so happy to hear that. He just had his second dose this morning so hopefully he will start feeling better quick!! 

@vintagevix2016 Thank you!!