June 2016 Moms
Options

Baby medical care and ailments

Re: Baby medical care and ailments

• Options
    Took Levi in for his congestion today since it was worse the last two days, and has now gone on for over a week.  She confirmed what I k we, keep on with saline and use a humidifier at night.  She also said I could dab Vicks on his chest so going to try that tonight.   Also he weighed in at 13 lbs and he is only 11 weeks old!!
    Did he catch a cold or is congestion just normal?
  • Options
    Seems to be just congestion.  Has never had a fever in the 1.5 weeks and no cough.  No nasal drainage either so ive been extremely unsuccessful sucking anything out, even with saline drops. Going to use Vicks tonight since doc okayed it and I finally got some. It's the worst first thing in the morning.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    rlbrooks84rlbrooks84 member
    edited September 2016
    Seems to be just congestion.  Has never had a fever in the 1.5 weeks and no cough.  No nasal drainage either so ive been extremely unsuccessful sucking anything out, even with saline drops. Going to use Vicks tonight since doc okayed it and I finally got some. It's the worst first thing in the morning.
    It sucks, this LO is the least congested baby I've ever had and it's amazing not having to deal with the congestion all the time. My first was always congested and it was awful so I feel your pain! I showered a lot with him because it seemed to help the most. It gets better!
  • Options
    Anyone else think their LO is teething?

Savannah will be 3 months Friday so it seems so early! But she is cranky, drooling, putting things in her mouth and her gums are more white than pink.
    Me (31) & DH (32)
    Married 9/27/2014
    DD Born 6/23/16
    Baby #2 Due 3/7/20
  • Options
    Anyone else think their LO is teething?

Savannah will be 3 months Friday so it seems so early! But she is cranky, drooling, putting things in her mouth and her gums are more white than pink.
    Ditto. That happened to my son around 13 weeks right before I went back to work. I thought it was early too, but I guess it can start around 3 months. 

He he seems a little better now at almost 16 weeks, so we'll see. He wasn't really interested in the teething keys either.

• Options
    Yes! Jackie has been fussy and chewing on things all day today and yesterday. She gets mad when she can't get something in her mouth and a little orajel on her lower gums has made her immensely happier.
    DD1: June '16 DD2: March ‘19 :::: Married since 2011 :::: USN Wife ::::
  • Options
    Ugh, what a day! My DD had a MASSIVE projectile vomit episode after a feeding. She fell asleep on the boppy on my lap and 20 minutes later I put her down in her swing. As soon as I set her down she vomited and it shot out like a waterfall all the way down to her toes, then a few seconds later she did it again and it came out her nose, and then a third time.  She was literally sitting in a puddle of milk in her swing and she was soaked and so was the swing. So so so scary!  I called the doc's office and they wanted to see her today.  The doctor did a thorough exam and said she's looking good and thinks that she is hitting a growth spurt which made her eat more and her reflux took over.  And that putting her in the swing probably squished her stomach and made her start to vomit and that some babies have a strong gag reflex, that when they start to vomit, they don't stop until their tummies are empty.  Lucky us!  I'm relieved she's ok and its still just reflux, but oh my I hope this projectile stuff doesn't become a regular occurrence. I don't know how a little baby can vomit so the sheer volume that she did. Yuck! 
  • Options
    Colds and ear infection

For those who have been through this, how long is the worst of it?  I can handle some stuffiness and what not but he has been screaming like crazy. Turns out he developed an ear infection yesterday.  We started the antibiotics and I gave him Tylenol but everything I read says a baby's cold can last up to two weeks but is that two weeks of super suck?
  • Options
    Colds and ear infection

For those who have been through this, how long is the worst of it?  I can handle some stuffiness and what not but he has been screaming like crazy. Turns out he developed an ear infection yesterday.  We started the antibiotics and I gave him Tylenol but everything I read says a baby's cold can last up to two weeks but is that two weeks of super suck?
    No it has its up and downs, you have good days and bad. A cough can last for up to 4 weeks and that sucks! Usually after 3-4 days it gets much better! I'm a big fan of these ear drops because my 4 yr old would never take anything orally until he hit about 3 1/2. He would vomit if you tried to force meds on him and it was horrible.
  • Options
    I hope this gets better soon.  The pediatrician said he could have Tylenol but it doesn't seem to be helping.   Please please please get better soon. I need sleep. And it break my heart to hear him cry so much.  He hasn't cried this much ever
  • Options
    I hope this gets better soon.  The pediatrician said he could have Tylenol but it doesn't seem to be helping.   Please please please get better soon. I need sleep. And it break my heart to hear him cry so much.  He hasn't cried this much ever
    It will better just hang in there! 
  • Options
    I haven't tried it, but I feel like I've heard of a salt sock helping? You warm it up and place it on their ear and it's supposed to help somehow? Might be bogus, but it seems like anything could help.
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    meggyme said:
    I haven't tried it, but I feel like I've heard of a salt sock helping? You warm it up and place it on their ear and it's supposed to help somehow? Might be bogus, but it seems like anything could help.
    Kind of reminds me of Damien's colic phase in that it was to a point where if someone told me that sprinkling cinnamon around his room, while singing ABBA, and hopping on one foot would help, I'd do it. 

I've heard of the salt sock as well, I've wondered if it's just the heat aspect that is soothing moreso than salt. Who knows, might be worth a try! Some folks recommend adding lavender to it for an additional soothing element. Add 2-3 drops of lavender essential oil to the heated pack.
  • Options
    For those of you with boys....I noticed on Monday that Damien's scrotum looked pretty red (penis looks fine). It doesn't seem to bother him, not even when I touch it, for now at least. I put diaper rash cream one it and have been diligent with changing him but haven't seen a difference. Could it just be that his diaper is rubbing it too much lately for some reason? Any ideas?
  • Options
    For those of you with boys....I noticed on Monday that Damien's scrotum looked pretty red (penis looks fine). It doesn't seem to bother him, not even when I touch it, for now at least. I put diaper rash cream one it and have been diligent with changing him but haven't seen a difference. Could it just be that his diaper is rubbing it too much lately for some reason? Any ideas?
     I use a balm on it cause he also gets red.  I can't use diaper cream cause we do cloth but this stuff works great.  
  • Options
     I use a balm on it cause he also gets red.  I can't use diaper cream cause we do cloth but this stuff works great.  
    I'll give that a try then, see if it helps! I want to nip it in the bud before it does get painful/uncomfortable for him, naturally.
  • Options
    I'll give that a try then, see if it helps! I want to nip it in the bud before it does get painful/uncomfortable for him, naturally.

Of course.  I also use a calming spray on him even if he doesn't poop so that pee doesn't just sit on his skin for hours.  He has more sensitive skin and even our organic disposable wipes gave him a rash so we take extra steps to make sure he feels good.  The cloth wipes, spray and the balm do the trick and his butt and Willy are looking good.
  • Options
    I forgot we have a diaper cream (tho it's more like a thick paste) called Baby Butz and decided to use that instead (100% all natural) and the redness went away within a couple of days.
  • Options
    Going on day 6 of Ethan's cold. His poor nose is just full of snot. We're doing the steam in the bathroom, nosefrieda, baby vicks on his chest and feet, humidifier at night, diffusing gentle baby essential oil and elevated his mattress. I feel bad for him!  But other then the snot, he's in good spirits. When is this going to be over??   :(
  • Options
    Going on day 6 of Ethan's cold. His poor nose is just full of snot. We're doing the steam in the bathroom, nosefrieda, baby vicks on his chest and feet, humidifier at night, diffusing gentle baby essential oil and elevated his mattress. I feel bad for him!  But other then the snot, he's in good spirits. When is this going to be over??   :(
     The snot can last up to 2 weeks.  When you notice that it goes from clear to yellowish or greenish, it's almost done.  
  • Options
     The snot can last up to 2 weeks.  When you notice that it goes from clear to yellowish or greenish, it's almost done.  
    ^^ What @adiaz132003 said, but if your LO goes to daycare just be prepared for the revolving door of colds....we are on cold #3.  Little guy is barely phased by it, but we are just on constant snot watch.  Sucks although it could be worse...that is my mantra...it could be worse.
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    Our ped told me that my husband and I need to get the flu shot. She said that Damien is considered at high risk of contracting it and isn't old enough to get the vaccine yet. We've never had the flu shot before (no particular reason, just never did) and was curious if any of you will be getting it this year.

The high risk assessment is due to all the flying we've all done and will do in the near future.
  • Options
    Our ped told me that my husband and I need to get the flu shot. She said that Damien is considered at high risk of contracting it and isn't old enough to get the vaccine yet. We've never had the flu shot before (no particular reason, just never did) and was curious if any of you will be getting it this year.

The high risk assessment is due to all the flying we've all done and will do in the near future.
    As a nurse, I get mine every single year. DH and my parents got them too.

I've never had an issue- and the pediatrician is right, babies are at high risk so the more you can protect him the better :)
    Me (31) & DH (32)
    Married 9/27/2014
    DD Born 6/23/16
    Baby #2 Due 3/7/20
  • Options
    @laurenm2123 It makes sense, I have no problem getting it if it means Damien will be that much more protected.  ;)
  • Options
    my husband always gets it, at his old job they actually brought nurses in to administer shots you just had to stop by. I've gotten one ever since I started having kids.
  • Options
    This may be a dumb question, but was talking with MIL about it last night. Will our babies get the flu vaccine this year? I thought LO would be too young but I googled it when she asked and the CDC recommends flue vaccine for 6 months and older. I know this is something my ped can answer but will your babies get it next  month or has your ped mentioned it?
  • Options
    lac1252 said:
    This may be a dumb question, but was talking with MIL about it last night. Will our babies get the flu vaccine this year? I thought LO would be too young but I googled it when she asked and the CDC recommends flue vaccine for 6 months and older. I know this is something my ped can answer but will your babies get it next  month or has your ped mentioned it?
    Savannah will get it at her 6 month appointment. We discussed it at her 4 month appointment with the pediatrician when she asked if me, DH and any other close caregivers got it.
    Me (31) & DH (32)
    Married 9/27/2014
    DD Born 6/23/16
    Baby #2 Due 3/7/20
  • Options
    lac1252 said:
    My ped indicated that Damien could get it once he is 6 months old. She mentioned that it's two shots so he would need to get the second one a month later.
  • Options
    Ok good to know. Thanks ladies
  • Options
    @vintagevix2016 I've never gotten the flu shot either (mostly bc I can't remember the last time I got the flu, i think i was in grade school). But I got it this year because my dr said I should (bc of the baby). I was there so i just got it.

I'm really unclear about flu shots and vaccines. I thought there were so many strains and the shot just protects you against older strains? And what is the flu vaccine?

I wish they could give me a shot for the common cold!
  • Options
    Lizbeth86 said:
    @vintagevix2016 I've never gotten the flu shot either (mostly bc I can't remember the last time I got the flu, i think i was in grade school). But I got it this year because my dr said I should (bc of the baby). I was there so i just got it.

I'm really unclear about flu shots and vaccines. I thought there were so many strains and the shot just protects you against older strains? And what is the flu vaccine?

I wish they could give me a shot for the common cold!
    Honestly, I thought the same thing and am a bit clueless. I plan to ask the nurse all kinds of questions at my appt tomorrow. I would kill for a cold vaccine, it's the absolute pits!
  • Options
    I believe they try to predict which strains will be most common that year and vaccinate against those. That's why some years it's more effective than others, depending on how accurately they predicted. That's also why you can still get the flu even after getting the shot. Just means you caught a less common strain.
  • Options
    Typicaly if you get the shot and get the flu its not as brutal as if you hadn't gotten the shot. My poor boys have always gotten the nasal mist since they were old enough but my ped said it's not as effective this year and they aren't even offering it. My 4 yr old freaked out when I told him a few months ago and you would have thought it was the end of the world. He got shots in May and the tdap left a lasting impression, he was sore for over a week. I used ice cream and chick fil a play area as bribes. You do what you have to, my oldest tried to negotiate with me and add a trip to target to pick out a toy also! 
  • Options
    I am a huge proponent of getting the vaccine no matter what.  After previously not getting vaccinated and coming down with the seasonal flu, I am a believer in taking whatever action you can to avoid getting it.  It was the sickest I have ever felt and I have had pneumonia twice in one year before.  I was sick for a full week and for three of those days my fever was above 103°.  Nothing I took made it come down and I couldn't be upright for more than a couple minutes.  This on top off the fact that I was congested and had a hard time breathing.  I cannot think of one good reason to not get the vaccine.. It is like insurance, yes it sucks paying for the coverage, but it is there for you when bad things come your way.
  • Options
    I don't mind getting it, just too lazy and absent-minded to think of doing it until now. My husband is nervous though since he has a fear of needles (despite all of his tattoos) but he's getting one as well.

A couple of years ago I caught the flu and laryngitis at the same time, it morphed into bronchitis and laryngitis. It was an awful experience!
  • Options
    Yep! We got ours already here. We have been especially careful because we watch our 3yr old niece sometimes and her brand new brother born at the end of July is still at children's hospital and has had several surgeries including open heart, so we don't want to send her back with anything.
  • Options
    Damien finally caught my cold. This is his first so those of you that have gone through it already, do you have any tips?
  • Options
    Nose Frida! Before we used it, I thought I would be grossed out, but it's so worth it.  And saline spray for sure. We use the Boogie Mist (same people that make the Boogie Wipes). 

And mama snuggles, of course :)
  • Options
    Elevate the crib mattress to help with congestion. We also used a humidifier in his room.  Nose freida for sure!  And baby Vicks for chest and feet.