February 2018 Moms
Options

The Baby Name Thread

Re: The Baby Name Thread

• Options
    Okay so DH and I have both decided we like Ellis for a girl. It's my paternal grandfather's name and his fathers name. Our last name is a mouthful and we are having trouble picking out a mn. Marie, Paige, and Grace are out as they are my siblings mn's.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Aeml1985 said:
    I love Emma, it's one of my middle names and my maternal grandmas middle name. 

Mikayla was on our list from last time, different spelling I think. I love Isla and Ava but they're too popular. 

We were also debating Willa (from my oma Wilma)

kbrinks2 said:
    Aeml1985 said:
    I LOVE the name Stella, but my husband thinks only of beer then and we have a "niece" named Ella so that's out but it's causing me a mental block. 

Anyone have other girl name suggestions that end in A? All the girls on my maternal side have names that end in A. 

Im also loving Scarlett but, no A ending 
    Anna, MiKayla, Kayla, Laura, Isla, Emma, Eva, Ciara, Maria, Linda, Lisa, Ava
    I've seen tones of different spelling for Mikayla. Michaela (our niece), MiKaela, MaKaela, MaKayla etc! It's a super cute name no matter how you spell it 
  • Options
    Aeml1985 said:
    mpp06 said:
    @Aeml1985 Gabriella? I've always loved that name!
    I like it, but people would shorten to gabby and I detest people calling kids not their given name. 
    I have a Gabrielle.  I don't mind nicknames, but I hate the nn Gabby.  She can be a bit serious sometimes and will let people know that she goes by Gabrielle.  She started that when she was little.  She's 11 and everyone calls her Gabrielle (except for her twin, who couldn't say Gabrielle when they were tiny and calls her Bella).

Anyway, nicknames are possible for almost any name and sometimes have nothing to do with the name.  My niece's dad calls her Scrimmage.  So, I say go with a name you love and then tell people your preference.
    Truth. My son's name is Peter and I looooove it but I hate 'Pete'. I have made it very clear that no calls him that under my watch, if he decides he wants to be called Pete someday fine, but I hate when people just insta-nickname him. Nope, always get corrected.
    Married 6/1/13
    BFP #1 7/2013 MMC 9/17/13
    BFP #2 5/2014 MC 6/15/14
    BFP #3 11/13/14 (Found in ER with ruptured cyst) Diagnosed MC 11/15/14
    BFP #4  4/2015 MC 7/1/15
    BFP #5 10/21/15  EDD 7/3/16 Praying for our rainbow! 
  • Options
     We decided on 2 girls names,  but we are having a boy! Heidi and Lorelei were the girls. 

And apparently boy or girl the middle name will be Brown. It's Dh's father's Middle name, and his paternal grandmothers maiden name whom he spent a lot of time with as a child.  I'm fine with that, all of my older kids have family names, 4 are from my family. 

For boys names,  for years since dh and i started dating i thought of we ever had a baby and it was a boy i'd want to name him Sampson. Now that we are having a boy,  he doesn't feel like a Sampson.

Dh has been suggesting all kinds of names and i keep vetoing all of them.  I think they all sound ridiculous,  or like clown names.  I'm hoping that when i hear the right name i'll know it.   
    BabyFruit Ticker
    older siblings: ds 16 dd 14 ds 13 dd 11 dd 7 
  • Options
    We announced to our families this weekend that our little man is going to be Jacob Ryan.  So far if they they don't like it they are lying well lol
    OMG Jake Ryan! What's not to like??

Jake is being thrown around as a nickname.  I like it.  Also JR which I'm not sure about.  My best friend drunk texted me about how much she loved Jakey already.  I'm gonna say a hard no to Jakey lol
  • Options
    Aeml1985 said:
    mpp06 said:
    I like it, but people would shorten to gabby and I detest people calling kids not their given name. 
    DH HAAAAATES when people don't call kids by given names (even though he has never gone by his legal name for a day in his life!).  We have an Amelia. He made it very clear from the beginning that she was Amelia. Not Amy, not Mia. Not Millie. Meelie. Ah-me-Lee-uh. 
    After that, no one has ever called her anything but Amelia. (Except for me when I called her Millie Mouse and DD1 ratted me out.)
    We have an Amelia as well and I'm the exact same. In the first week someone called her Mia and was just like nope nope nopeeee.
    DD - 4.15.16
  • Options
    mbirdie said:
    Aeml1985 said:
    mpp06 said:
    DH HAAAAATES when people don't call kids by given names (even though he has never gone by his legal name for a day in his life!).  We have an Amelia. He made it very clear from the beginning that she was Amelia. Not Amy, not Mia. Not Millie. Meelie. Ah-me-Lee-uh. 
    After that, no one has ever called her anything but Amelia. (Except for me when I called her Millie Mouse and DD1 ratted me out.)
    We have an Amelia as well and I'm the exact same. In the first week someone called her Mia and was just like nope nope nopeeee.
    My mom HATES nicknames! If anyone ever called me Kris growing up or my sister Allison by the name Al or Ali, you could practically see her head pop off! Lol. Me, I love nicknames but I feel like they have to come about in a natural way. Ironically, we're planning on the name William for a boy but we have to specify that he is William or Will but NOT Bill/Billy. With a name like that I feel like we had to kind of pre-plan the nickname. Nothing wrong with Bill, but that's my dad and brothers name and we are choosing William to honor them but I still want him to have his "own" name. No one in my family named William actually goes by that name.
  • Options
    mbirdie said:
    Aeml1985 said:
    mpp06 said:
    My mom HATES nicknames! If anyone ever called me Kris growing up or my sister Allison by the name Al or Ali, you could practically see her head pop off! Lol. Me, I love nicknames but I feel like they have to come about in a natural way. Ironically, we're planning on the name William for a boy but we have to specify that he is William or Will but NOT Bill/Billy. With a name like that I feel like we had to kind of pre-plan the nickname. Nothing wrong with Bill, but that's my dad and brothers name and we are choosing William to honor them but I still want him to have his "own" name. No one in my family named William actually goes by that name.
    My dad is William and goes by Willie and my brother is William and goes by Billie for the same reason! It just makes it so much easier when they each have their own name. Our DS and our two nephews all have William as a middle name! 
  • Options
    @kbrinks2 it's a great name! It's actually my Poppops as well, but the only person calling him by Bill is his wife. To everyone else he's either Pop or Dad, obviously! My dad and brother are both Billy but my brother has just been referred to as Little Billy over the years. There's rarely any name confusion, which is nice! I think the name William itself is just one of those that will always be around and you really can't go wrong with! 
  • Options
    A bit off topic, but still baby name related, but does anyone else have such a fear that someone in your life will use your baby name before you get the chance?? We have friends who are due any day now with their first and myself and the mama to be have VERY similar taste in names. We had a long convo about baby names early on in her pregnancy. They don't know what they're having and I have the biggest fear that they will have a girl and use the name we absolutely love (Violet). Our boy name is a family name so I would still use that regardless, but Violet is just a name I love dearly. It just wouldn't be right to still use the name if they use it first, but I would be devastated! Of all the things to be afraid of in pregnancy I feel like this shouldn't even be a worry but I just can't help myself! We are planning to keep the names secret until the birth but this fear has me ready to tell everyone just to stake claim to the name lol. 
  • Options
    @kristinl492 Personally I would go ahead and use the name anyway if I loved it as much as you love it. Just because they got pregnant sooner and got to name their kid first doesn't mean they get dibs on it. So you'll have two Violets in your life! Then you can refer to them as "my Violet" and "your Violet."
    Me: late 30s | H: early 30s
    TTC #1 since April 2015
    RE Dx: Fibroids, surgery Jan 2016
    IUI #1 and #2, Nov/Dec 2016, BFN
    IVF March 2017: ER - 5R/3M/3F, 1 PGS normal
    Polyp removed May 2017
    FET May 2017 - BFP!
    Baby boy born 2/2/18

• Options
    A bit off topic, but still baby name related, but does anyone else have such a fear that someone in your life will use your baby name before you get the chance?? We have friends who are due any day now with their first and myself and the mama to be have VERY similar taste in names. We had a long convo about baby names early on in her pregnancy. They don't know what they're having and I have the biggest fear that they will have a girl and use the name we absolutely love (Violet). Our boy name is a family name so I would still use that regardless, but Violet is just a name I love dearly. It just wouldn't be right to still use the name if they use it first, but I would be devastated! Of all the things to be afraid of in pregnancy I feel like this shouldn't even be a worry but I just can't help myself! We are planning to keep the names secret until the birth but this fear has me ready to tell everyone just to stake claim to the name lol. 
    Have you talked to your friend if Violet is a contender for them? If she's due soon and you've got a while, even with the same name your kids would still be months apart so at least in school they'd be different years right. And even still, Violet is a pretty name and you should use it if you love it! 
  • Options
    We always announce our name with the sex. Partly for this reason lol. But  I am not at all bothered with peoples opinions regarding our name choices.  I love personalized, monogrammed things… So keeping the name a secret would be a pain for me. 

That said, you totally can still use the name if you love it that much!  Maybe tell and ask her to keep it a secret if you trust her?  Or casually bring up that you love that name and are highly considering it to see what she says?  After all, there are so many babies that it's highly unlikely she would just happened to choose the exact same name… Right? That's on the off chance that it's even a girl… I will try not to stress 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    What are thoughts on Quinna? Our last name is only one syllable so Quinn just doesn't flow. I'm okay with Quinnley but DH isn't necessarily on board. He's thinking about it. He vetoed Quinnlynn.

I have some mixed thoughts on Quinna but am curious to see how much I've overanalyzed it!

FWIW, we will call her Quinn. 
  • Options
    What are thoughts on Quinna? Our last name is only one syllable so Quinn just doesn't flow. I'm okay with Quinnley but DH isn't necessarily on board. He's thinking about it. He vetoed Quinnlynn.

I have some mixed thoughts on Quinna but am curious to see how much I've overanalyzed it!

I do not know the last name, but I would just go for Quinn if you are planning on calling her Quinn anyway. In school, she would most likely be referred to as Quinn Last Name if that is what she goes by. Unless it is something that really does not flow well or rhymes (I am not a fan of rhyming names) I would just go with Quinn. 
  • Options

I say just go with Quinn. The other variations of Quinn kind of sound made up which I am not keen on but that's just me.

DD born Oct 2011 - DS#1 born Jan 2014 - DS#2 born Apr 2015 - DS#3 born Sept 2016 - LO#5 due Feb 7, 2018

• Options

Until I read that you'd call her Quinn, I was pronouncing it "Kinnah" and "Kinley". So if you'd be calling her Quinn anyways, go for that! (BTW I floated that name, too, and it got vetoed. Love that name.)
  • Options
    If we just call her Quinn, we have yet to find a middle name that doesn't make Quinn sound like queen. For example:

Quinn Elizabeth
    Quinn Jane
    Quinn Lauren
  • Options
    hudson202 said:
    I like Quinn a lot. I think Quinna  sounds a lot like quinoa
    LOL that is what I thought but I didn't want to put it in anyone's head!
  • Options
    kristinl492kristinl492 member
    edited August 2017
    We always announce our name with the sex. Partly for this reason lol. But  I am not at all bothered with peoples opinions regarding our name choices.  I love personalized, monogrammed things… So keeping the name a secret would be a pain for me. 

That said, you totally can still use the name if you love it that much!  Maybe tell and ask her to keep it a secret if you trust her?  Or casually bring up that you love that name and are highly considering it to see what she says?  After all, there are so many babies that it's highly unlikely she would just happened to choose the exact same name… Right? That's on the off chance that it's even a girl… I will try not to stress 
    I'm definitely not stressing, I think it's pregnancy brain making me a little crazy!! I think logic kind of goes out the window sometimes lol. 
  • Options
    Quinna sounds like a made up name 
    Quinnely isn't bad, but makes me want to say Kingsley 
    Andrea (31), married Aaron (36) September 2012
    Parents to fur babies Tiki and Gizzmo and 2yr old Georgia
    IF veterans; #1 conceived on second clomid+HCG+IUI, #2 conceived on 1st Letrozole+HCG+IUI
    EDD: Feb 5, 2018

• Options
    Girl: Noelle- Grace Maire

Boy: Due to the fathers family's tradition, the name will be chosen by the father. I do know his middle name will be Darren as the first name of the father is always the middle name of the son. We shall see what he will name his son.We shall see. If it was up to me His name will be Jackson Darren
  • Options
    @babyjjl2018 what an interesting family tradition! Is this tradition specific to your husband's family or a particular cultural background? Were you on board when you first found out about it?
  • Options
    @babyjjl2018 you're nicer than me- I'd be booting that tradition...  or at least I would have veto power 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @babyjjl2018 you're nicer than me- I'd be booting that tradition...  or at least I would have veto power 
    Agreed.  That tradition would be out the door...
  • Options
    @Starynightsky24 and @magnolia305 you guys crack me up. I can't even get my husband to make a single suggestion for a name. We are lucky that's not a tradition in his family lol
  • Options
    It's between Theodore and Westley.
    G 12.04 | E 11.06 | D 11.08  | H 12.09 | R 11.14 | Expecting #6 2.16.18.

• Options
    @soulcupcake I hope Theodore wins. I suggested this but it got vetoed. 
  • Options
    mommaSG said:
    I have Emmett Michael picked for a boy the girl has been hard for the longest time i loved Arabella Mae and i still do because i love disney and Bell was one of my favorites. However i went through my nestalgia of disney and watched Anastsia. I now love Anastsia Mae because we could call her Ana or Stacy. I like this option because my adopted mothers name is Stacy and Mae represents DH mom because it was her middle name. 

Anyways what do you guys prefer
    Arabella Mae or Anastsia Mae
    I love Emmett.  One of DH's best friends has an Emmett, so it's out for us :(
  • Options
    We both agreed on Maya for a girl right away.  So far we have either Maya Vivienne or Maya Helene (Helene after DH's grandmother).

A boy's name is proving to be more difficult (so, of course, it will be a boy).  DH wants to name after his grandfather Frank, but I vetoed Frank and we can't find an F name we like.  Right now we have Evan and Samuel.  I think Samuel is in first place.
  • Options
    I have a question for you ladies,  is anyone else really not liking any names? Even the ones i suggest,  in all like "I don't hate it, but don't really like them either". 
    BabyFruit Ticker
    older siblings: ds 16 dd 14 ds 13 dd 11 dd 7 
  • Options
    I have a question for you ladies,  is anyone else really not liking any names? Even the ones i suggest,  in all like "I don't hate it, but don't really like them either". 
    Yes! Well I did have a small number I liked but they all got vetoed so I've got nothing now. I'll text him names throughout the day and sometimes I text him right back saying 'nevermind, don't like that one actually' . Ugh. I think I've read every list by now and I don't like any of them.
    Married 6/1/13
    BFP #1 7/2013 MMC 9/17/13
    BFP #2 5/2014 MC 6/15/14
    BFP #3 11/13/14 (Found in ER with ruptured cyst) Diagnosed MC 11/15/14
    BFP #4  4/2015 MC 7/1/15
    BFP #5 10/21/15  EDD 7/3/16 Praying for our rainbow! 
  • Options
    For a girl I am torn between Elise and Lucy...  Thoughts? My son's name is Emmett, but I do not think they necessarily need to match in any way. For a boy we are thinking Nathan right now. 
  • Options
    I feel this way about boy names 
    which has me convinced I'm having a boy. All the names sound too pedestrian to me
    Andrea (31), married Aaron (36) September 2012
    Parents to fur babies Tiki and Gizzmo and 2yr old Georgia
    IF veterans; #1 conceived on second clomid+HCG+IUI, #2 conceived on 1st Letrozole+HCG+IUI
    EDD: Feb 5, 2018

• Options
    Aeml1985 said:
    I feel this way about boy names 
    which has me convinced I'm having a boy. All the names sound too pedestrian to me
    Right there with ya on the boy names, which is why I am also convinced it's a boy...