February 2018 Moms
Options

The Baby Name Thread

Re: The Baby Name Thread

• Options
    @SunflowerMama428
    Her s my two cents on the gender neutral names thing:
    My first name is Kyle and I've had a lifetime of saying "yes, I said kyle" "no, it's not Kylie." "I don't know if my parents were hoping for a boy." and other various comments. It's not he end of the world, but it happens at least 90% of the time I introduce myself. Think of how many times we introduce ourselves in a week? I swore I would never do that to or if my own children.
  • Options
    @mblomq2 I Isabella is definitely popular. I've taught kindergarten for 5 years and have one or more in my class literally every year. I love Isabel though! It's so pretty and a nice alternative. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Chawk17 said:
    Both my DH and my names are so common Meghan and Kyle. It just kinda sucks when your name is everywhere :(  Someone calls my name and several heads turn.  
    There were 8 Isabellas in first grade at my school this year. Twighlight popularity. 
    It might just be me that it bothers. Oh well.

Two years ago, I had an Aidan, Kaden, Jaden (boy) and Jayden (girl) in my class. Insane.

• Options

Chawk17 said:
    Both my DH and my names are so common Meghan and Kyle. It just kinda sucks when your name is everywhere :(  Someone calls my name and several heads turn.  
    There were 8 Isabellas in first grade at my school this year. Twighlight popularity. 
    It might just be me that it bothers. Oh well.

Two years ago, I had an Aidan, Kaden, Jaden (boy) and Jayden (girl) in my class. Insane.

That's when I wonder if the principals really check out the rosters. Seriously ..why??!! I bet that was a fun year.

Also teaching has made me dislike so many names :)
  • Options
    @SunflowerMama428
    Her s my two cents on the gender neutral names thing:
    My first name is Kyle and I've had a lifetime of saying "yes, I said kyle" "no, it's not Kylie." "I don't know if my parents were hoping for a boy." and other various comments. It's not he end of the world, but it happens at least 90% of the time I introduce myself. Think of how many times we introduce ourselves in a week? I swore I would never do that to or if my own children.

See if I met you I would have just assumed there was a kyle that meant a lot to your parents. If I meet a girl kyle in 20 years I'm going to think her parents were trying to be trendy. But either way I would quietly think these things. It blows my mind how people have no filter. You did not choose your own name. I mean in most cases ;)
  • Options
    mpp06mpp06 member
    We've haven't shared our names much and when we did we got some harsh reactions, lol! For a boy he will be named after his Dad, he'll be Paul III. For a girl, Kateri Elizabeth. ☺️
  • Options
    We have two boys with L names (Liam and Lochlan). If we have another boy we are thinking Lennox Shaw (Shaw is a family name)

Girl- Lorelei, Laurel.... not set on an L name for a girl... 

Any other great "L" options anyone?  
  • Options
    sabriel1 said:
    Did you always go by that different name? Or did you just start going by it when you got older? What did your parents thinking of you legally changing it. I can't imagine my mom taking too well to it.
    I started using my chosen name almost six years ago, and a nickname that spawned it a decade ago. Other than official situations and relatives, I used that name. I told my mom back in '10 that I was thinking of changing my name. She was surprised at first, and a little disappointed at the thought of it, but said she'd support my decision. My father didn't mind either way. He actually preferred the name I was given until my mom changed it a few weeks before her due date. She was surprised and happy that I took on her middle name as my second middle.
    G 12.04 | E 11.06 | D 11.08  | H 12.09 | R 11.14 | Expecting #6 2.16.18.

• Options
    We haven't decided on names yet and probably won't until after we find out the sex. We can't seem to agree. DH and I have different styles we like and had a difficult time naming DD2. Both our girls have very old fashioned names.

Names on my list for girls are Magnolia, Vivian, and Eden. Boys are Arlo, Oliver, Elliott, and Isaiah. 
    Ivy: July 2010  |  Stella: Dec 2012  |  BFP#3: MMC at 11Wk's, July 2017 | Wyatt: April 2019 | BFP#5: Twin Girls due Sept 2020

• Options
    clc515clc515 member
    We have two boys with L names (Liam and Lochlan). If we have another boy we are thinking Lennox Shaw (Shaw is a family name)

Girl- Lorelei, Laurel.... not set on an L name for a girl... 

Any other great "L" options anyone?  
    Lena (my moms name!)
    Lillian (what my parents almost named me lol)
    Lucy
    Lilah/Layla
    Lily
    Louisa/Luisa 
    Lianna
  • Options
    ktob3ktob3 member
    @meatball37 love Shepherd. DH's cousin has a Shepherd and I really like it. 

I have had a boy name picked out since I was about 12. Silas James. (James would be after DH's Grandpa.)

For a girl our second choice from last time will probably be the name. Aria or Arya. If anyone like to give suggestions for middle names I'm totally open to it. 
    DD1 is C******* Lily. We couldn't agree on a middle name for Aria/Arya the first time around. Our last name is a common name.
    If you need a suggestion, my daughter's name is Aria Rose. We've gotten many compliments on her name and I've been very happy with our choice. If Rose isn't for you, I think Aria goes well with most one syllable middle names. Also, I guess we think alike because our top girl name for this pregnancy is lily (possibly with official name of Lilian). :)
  • Options
    robyn2201 said:
    We haven't decided on names yet and probably won't until after we find out the sex. We can't seem to agree. DH and I have different styles we like and had a difficult time naming DD2. Both our girls have very old fashioned names.

Names on my list for girls are Magnolia, Vivian, and Eden. Boys are Arlo, Oliver, Elliott, and Isaiah. 
    DH and I have the same problem. DD1 didn't have a name until two weeks before delivery. 

I adore Magnolia. 
  • Options
    ashhsaashhsa member
    edited July 2017
    I chose a name for dd and then changed my mind completely once she had arrived- so this time I'm just going to wait and see when I meet this bub
  • Options
    My son is Theodore Benjamin (we call him Theo).

Names we have tossed around for this baby:

Lincoln 
    Alexander (Alex)
    Walter
    Gideon
    Archer

Julia
    Ruth
    Audra
    Harriet (nn Hattie)
    Rowan
    Darby

Married 6/2013, TTC 9/2013.
    ***TW***
    MC 12/2013, Blighted Ovum 04/2014, CP 06/2014
    Began RPL testing 07/2014
    BFP #4 10/26/2014; Theo born 07/2015
    BFP #5 06/17/2017, EDD 02/28/18

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    robyn2201 said:

I love Arlo but we can't use it because DS is Theo and it is too close. :(
    Married 6/2013, TTC 9/2013.
    ***TW***
    MC 12/2013, Blighted Ovum 04/2014, CP 06/2014
    Began RPL testing 07/2014
    BFP #4 10/26/2014; Theo born 07/2015
    BFP #5 06/17/2017, EDD 02/28/18

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    ktob3 said:

I have had a boy name picked out since I was about 12. Silas James. (James would be after DH's Grandpa.)

For a girl our second choice from last time will probably be the name. Aria or Arya. If anyone like to give suggestions for middle names I'm totally open to it. 
    DD1 is C******* Lily. We couldn't agree on a middle name for Aria/Arya the first time around. Our last name is a common name.
    If you need a suggestion, my daughter's name is Aria Rose. We've gotten many compliments on her name and I've been very happy with our choice. If Rose isn't for you, I think Aria goes well with most one syllable middle names. Also, I guess we think alike because our top girl name for this pregnancy is lily (possibly with official name of Lilian). :)
    Thank you! I'm honestly not sure why I hadn't thought of Rose. It is DHs grandma's name and it would definitely go with DD1s middle name since they would both be flowers. *Thumbs up*
  • Options
    We already have our names picked.

Melanie June for a girl

Kevin Patrick or Kevin William for a boy 

The first names are a little more traditional than I would prefer, but DH only likes names from the 80's and 90's...names he thinks are "traditional," but are just trends like any other year. 
  • Options
    RSainiRSaini member
    I have zero names for this baby. Nothing seems to be really resonating with me or DH. 
  • Options
    I feel like it's going to be super hard to match DS name because it was the only name we liked and agreed on at that time, we didn't even have a short list! I absolutely love his name, but I have zero ideas for this one, boy or girl! My personal favorites from last time we did this (other than the one we picked) were Isaac for a boy and Eleanor for a girl. But DH vetoed Isaac and we didn't have a girl, haha. Eleanor may still be a possibility if we have a girl, but I'm on the fence.
    Married 6/1/13
    BFP #1 7/2013 MMC 9/17/13
    BFP #2 5/2014 MC 6/15/14
    BFP #3 11/13/14 (Found in ER with ruptured cyst) Diagnosed MC 11/15/14
    BFP #4  4/2015 MC 7/1/15
    BFP #5 10/21/15  EDD 7/3/16 Praying for our rainbow! 
  • Options
    I still have a girls name picked out from when DS was born, Minerva "Vera" June. I had a hard time coming up with names both my husband and I agreed on the first time. I'm not going to bother discussing it with him until we know for sure what we are having. 

Married 1/09/10

BFP 6/10/14
    EDD 2/17/15
    DS 2/17/15

BFP 6/12/17
    EDD 2/18/17
    Deja vu??

• Options
    My nope list includes anything really poplar, especially anything ending in -ella or -ayden. Nothing with crazy spellings. I tend to like older, more forgotten names that are real but uncommon. My son is Declan.

Married 1/09/10

BFP 6/10/14
    EDD 2/17/15
    DS 2/17/15

BFP 6/12/17
    EDD 2/18/17
    Deja vu??

• Options
    Joon+Joon+ member
    DH and I both have two middle names, as does DS, so we will do the same for this LO.  We chose family middle names for DS and will keep that going.  For a boy, they will likely be Harold Brian or Harold Robert, and for a girl, Louise Jane.  First names we're leaning toward ATM are Emmett and Josephine.  But we plan to have a (short) list and not set anything in stone until LO's arrival.

Married the most patient man on the planet:  May 16, 2009
    Me:  30; DH:  30

BFP:  June 25, 2014; EDD:  March 9/10, 2015
    4 fur babies:  2 dogs & 2 cats

Pregnancy Ticker

Anniversary

• Options
    Joon+ said:
    DH and I both have two middle names, as does DS, so we will do the same for this LO.  We chose family middle names for DS and will keep that going.  For a boy, they will likely be Harold Brian or Harold Robert, and for a girl, Louise Jane.  First names we're leaning toward ATM are Emmett and Josephine.  But we plan to have a (short) list and not set anything in stone until LO's arrival.
    My sister's middle name is Louise I like it :)
  • Options
    ktob3 said:

Aria is our first choice for a girl. It was our second choice name last time (we named our daughter Vivian). Rose was the middle name I was considering. I worry little bit about the popularity of the name Aria but we both really love it. I guess we'll wait and see if we find out it's a girl, then we may come up with some other names. But for now we have one girl and one boy name chosen. Which is way better than last time when we never agreed on a boy name. Our boy name is Parker James.
  • Options
    I'm surprised how popular Eleanor is. Its at the top of our list but I hadn't heard of anyone else liking it until coming here! I also like Brianna (Brie).

Boys names are tough. H wants to name him after his uncle Daniel who passed away, but I'm leaning more to that being the middle name than the first name.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    asly02asly02 member
    Chawk17 said:
    @TattoosandLace we love Hawk but not hunters...but because we live in WA state...so C. HAWK  ( Seahawk) :)

@meatball37 I love the name Shepherd Will.

I live in Wash State too.... just NO on C. Hawk!!
  • Options
    Are you on the east or west side?
  • Options
    Love seeing these different names! Our son is named after my husband and I love that, and it was easy. 

Kind of leaning towards Ella Carol. I love the name Ella and my name is Carol even though I don't think Ella Carol flows at all...
  • Options
    @JandJ62914 my good friends have a Scarlette and Violet (and an Olive)! They get tons of compliments and love their names.  They both act  like their names too.  Scarlette always needs to be the center of attention and very bubbly and personable, Violet is sweet, quiet and smart.  

@eggplantface I love Italian names, so many good ones to choose from!

For us DH is dead set on Salvador after his grandfather if we're having a boy.I don't know how I feel about it yet. I like the idea of having a family name but I feel it misrepresents our ethinicities (he's Cajun French and I'm half Peruvian half French Canadian).  It doesn't help that people I've mentioned it to say "Ugh, that stinks!"  Still on the fence.
  • Options
    I loveeee the name Alaina Elizabeth for a girl and Eli Richard for a boy 
    (Richard being after my grandpa of course)
  • Options
    We have had our girl name picked out for ages and haven't even really talked about other girl possibilities. Hopefully if it's a girl the name suits her!!

Lila Eden. Eden after the town my MIL grew up in and my DH and family spent lots of time, Lila we both just liked but realized it's kind of my sister and his sisters names combined, which is cool.

Our son is Marlo Jack. We had such a hard time with boys names, but as soon as I came up with Marlo I loved it and we had a few other contenders but when we met him it fit. Jack is after my Pap Pap who everyone called Jack and I always thought it was his name when nope it's actually John!

Our back up boy names will probably be ones we revisit if this one is a boy. Possibilities include Rowan, Dominic, Declan, Archer, but I'm trying to think of new ones.

I want each person in our family to have a name that doesn't sound like someone else's. Also we have a one syllable last name that starts with "S" so I don't want anything that starts or ends with S or has one syllable. 
  • Options
    @Ashoes123 Thats so funny! Olive was a name we considered for DD, but then realized it didn't flow well with our last name. I have the same taste in names as your friend! Maybe sry can help kr name this next one lol. 
  • Options
    Ashoes123 said:
    @JandJ62914 my good friends have a Scarlette and Violet (and an Olive)! They get tons of compliments and love their names.  They both act  like their names too.  Scarlette always needs to be the center of attention and very bubbly and personable, Violet is sweet, quiet and smart.  

@eggplantface I love Italian names, so many good ones to choose from!

For us DH is dead set on Salvador after his grandfather if we're having a boy.I don't know how I feel about it yet. I like the idea of having a family name but I feel it misrepresents our ethinicities (he's Cajun French and I'm half Peruvian half French Canadian).  It doesn't help that people I've mentioned it to say "Ugh, that stinks!"  Still on the fence.
    Maybe it could be a middle name? That's a good, strong middle name. I see what you mean about it notnreflecting your background. That's tough! 
  • Options
    DH threw out the name Augustus Marshall (His grandpa's first name, My dead dad's middle name). I do want to use something to honor my dad. But I don't know if Augustus is the price I want to pay. 
  • Options
    MrsJ2410 said:
    I'm trying to strike that delicate balance between wanting an unpopular name, wanting an Italian name (I'm Italian and my husband's Irish family tends to dwarf everything in its orbit so I want to make sure my heritage isn't eclipsed by them), and wanting a name that will not get side-eye on a resume or get him made fun of in school. Names like Leonardo or Antonio are good. Valerio or Marcello, maybe not so much.

p.s. I got naming rights after all the crap I had to go through to get pregnant, hence I'm only talking about my preferences. H has veto power, but ultimately I choose.
    THIS SO MUCH I am Italian and my very blonde husband has very strong genes and I feel like I will be a lone Italian in a family of golden retrievers. 

We are going to do Nora for a girl, either Nora Jean or Nora Mae (Jean is DH's grandma and Mae for his mom Margaret). My grandmother was Leonora and I had insisted on that forever ( as well as Antonella, Ella for short) to kind of put my foot down about Italian names staying strong, but we are going to just go with Nora now. 

We are so stuck on boys names, I like Matthew Francis, or Otis Robert, DH loves the name Liam. 
    You could always give her two middle names. I love the sound of Nora Mae Jean.

I have Mae packed out as a middle name if my LO is a girl to honor DH mother. 
  • Options
    Baby names are a guilty pleasure of mine.  I have a list on my phone that I'm constantly adding to/deleting.  DH hates talking baby names so I feel like I'm on my own here.  DD's name is Alice Caroline.  I really like her name but I'm still a little miffed that we didn't use Caroline as her first name.  DH just couldn't get on board with it (he also pronounces it Carolyn sometimes which really annoys me) plus Alice is a family name so that's how we decided.  So anyway, I'm putting a lot of thought into #2's name.  

Girls:  Catherine, Emma, Elizabeth, Olivia
    Boys:  Evan, Henry, James, Luke
  • Options
    DH threw out the name Augustus Marshall (His grandpa's first name, My dead dad's middle name). I do want to use something to honor my dad. But I don't know if Augustus is the price I want to pay. 
    What about August? It's our top boy name. It's a family name on my H's side.
    G 12.04 | E 11.06 | D 11.08  | H 12.09 | R 11.14 | Expecting #6 2.16.18.

• Options
    So I told DH if it's a boy we can name him George after his grandfather who died when he was a baby. He was the only grandchild his grandfather met. I feel really evil saying I don't really want to name him George. :(