February 2018 Moms
Options

The Baby Name Thread

Re: The Baby Name Thread

• Options
    We both agreed on Maya for a girl right away.  So far we have either Maya Vivienne or Maya Helene (Helene after DH's grandmother).

A boy's name is proving to be more difficult (so, of course, it will be a boy).  DH wants to name after his grandfather Frank, but I vetoed Frank and we can't find an F name we like.  Right now we have Evan and Samuel.  I think Samuel is in first place.
    I know a Maya Vivienne and she is so spunky. Great name. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I have a question for you ladies,  is anyone else really not liking any names? Even the ones i suggest,  in all like "I don't hate it, but don't really like them either". 
    Yeah, kind of. I fell in love with a girl name I found in the Baby Name Wizard book, but we're having a boy, so back to the drawing board. There are lots of names I like but I keep waiting for that lightening strike, like "That's it, that's his name." So I'm trying to find family names that will give him a good connection to his ancestors, hoping that will spark something for me.
    Me: late 30s | H: early 30s
    TTC #1 since April 2015
    RE Dx: Fibroids, surgery Jan 2016
    IUI #1 and #2, Nov/Dec 2016, BFN
    IVF March 2017: ER - 5R/3M/3F, 1 PGS normal
    Polyp removed May 2017
    FET May 2017 - BFP!
    Baby boy born 2/2/18

• Options
    I have a question for you ladies,  is anyone else really not liking any names? Even the ones i suggest,  in all like "I don't hate it, but don't really like them either". 
    Yeah, kind of. I fell in love with a girl name I found in the Baby Name Wizard book, but we're having a boy, so back to the drawing board. There are lots of names I like but I keep waiting for that lightening strike, like "That's it, that's his name." So I'm trying to find family names that will give him a good connection to his ancestors, hoping that will spark something for me.
    This was me.  If our LO was a girl, it was Charlotte Maye.  I love Charlotte and Maye is for my DH's mom who passed away when he was 8.  I'm keeping the name on reserve.  Maybe future baby #2 will be a girl and we'll use it then.
  • Options
    I love the boy name we have picked out. I just like the girl names we've picked out. We shall see which we get!
    At least the middle name for both is picked out for both cuz it'll be after my dearly departed dad. 
  • Options
    Aeml1985 said:
    I feel this way about boy names 
    which has me convinced I'm having a boy. All the names sound too pedestrian to me
    All of this. I have two boys already, and I'm stumped. My sister has 3 boys. The only two names I loved, my husband hates.  He only likes one name (no other ideas or suggestions) but I really don't like it. Everything else is just okay at best, but I LOVE my second son's name and I want to find one just as good! Team green...
  • Options
    lainikins said:
    For a girl I am torn between Elise and Lucy...  Thoughts? My son's name is Emmett, but I do not think they necessarily need to match in any way. For a boy we are thinking Nathan right now. 

Stuck in a box...I like both names, but I think Lucy goes a bit better with Emmett
  • Options
    @caitb13 @Starynightsky24 @magnolia305

The fathers is Hatain and in their family all the men name their son. I am also from West Indian culture and we have our own tradition as well and keeping tradition is very important which is why i said ok because it is important to him, which makes it important to me.  Trust me when he told me that i cringe like seriously lol but then i thought about it and i cant deny him naming our child if it is a boy. I just prayyyy its a good one. He hasn't said anything about the name yet, but i know i will be asking as i need that name for the gender reveal lol
    May I ask what part of the West Indies? 
  • Options
    @TattoosandLace I am from Antigua and Barbuda =) #268todiwerl 
  • Options
    I used to spend two weeks in the summer with my dad in St. Kitts. :)
  • Options
    A bit off topic, but still baby name related, but does anyone else have such a fear that someone in your life will use your baby name before you get the chance?? We have friends who are due any day now with their first and myself and the mama to be have VERY similar taste in names. We had a long convo about baby names early on in her pregnancy. They don't know what they're having and I have the biggest fear that they will have a girl and use the name we absolutely love (Violet). Our boy name is a family name so I would still use that regardless, but Violet is just a name I love dearly. It just wouldn't be right to still use the name if they use it first, but I would be devastated! Of all the things to be afraid of in pregnancy I feel like this shouldn't even be a worry but I just can't help myself! We are planning to keep the names secret until the birth but this fear has me ready to tell everyone just to stake claim to the name lol. 
    Lol we also have a similar fear. We have a friend due in November having a boy, we haven't shared our names with them because they are still undecided on their names and have been known to copy others in the group a lot. So we have shared with others but sworn everyone to secrecy until they name theirs lol.

i hope for your sake your friend doesn't use your favorite, but if they did I would still use it. You will know yours was always the original ;) 
  • Options
    @kristinl492 I feel the same! Our friends are due soon and said they had a name but they keep saying how much they love our girls name! I chose thomas junior if it's a boy and my husband said Frances if it's a girl,  I wasn't sold  but when I found out it was princess Dianas middle name I decided I was happy! Good enough for a princess is good enough for me! Was the name of the author who wrote the little princess book too!
  • Options
    @kristinl492 This sorta happened to us. Since having DS, I've always kept a list of names I love for our next child on my phone. In the past six months, literally, all but one of those boy names have been taken by people we know. Not intentionally, bc I haven't shared them. So we are starting from scratch naming this baby boy! 
  • Options
    @kristinl492 this is a big problem for those of us of "advanced maternal age" (my Dr. loves to remind me that I fit that category). ALL of the names I always loved have been used by my friends. I even had trouble thinking of a name for my dog that wasn't used by a friend for one of their kids.
  • Options
    @kristinl492 this is a big problem for those of us of "advanced maternal age" (my Dr. loves to remind me that I fit that category). ALL of the names I always loved have been used by my friends. I even had trouble thinking of a name for my dog that wasn't used by a friend for one of their kids.
     So agree! Plus all of the names my kids currently have are out,  as well as any names we have given to livestock. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
    older siblings: ds 16 dd 14 ds 13 dd 11 dd 7 
  • Options
    babyjjl2018babyjjl2018 member
    edited August 2017
    I used to spend two weeks in the summer with my dad in St. Kitts. :)
    Niceee. Im trying to go back home after the baby is born (like 6 months) so little kiddo can get some fresh sea water on its skin lol and my grandparents get to see their first great grand child =) Never been to St. Kitts, but hear it is really nice lol 
  • Options
     So agree! Plus all of the names my kids currently have are out,  as well as any names we have given to livestock. 
    LOL! I had a bottle calf after DD1 was born. (Cow had twins and didn't take to one). I named her Molly since DH had vetoed it as a baby name. 
  • Options
    I have always liked Amaris (Given by God) for a girl. I had this one since my first pregnancy but it turned out to be a boy and we names him Elkanah (Created by God). I also liked Eleanor but it sounds exactly like Elkanah so we are giving it up and I don't want my babies to have the same initials though DH disagrees.
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    I have always liked Amaris (Given by God) for a girl. I had this one since my first pregnancy but it turned out to be a boy and we names him Elkanah (Created by God). I also liked Eleanor but it sounds exactly like Elkanah so we are giving it up and I don't want my babies to have the same initials though DH disagrees.
    As someone whose entire family had the initials JP growing up...I don't think it's bad to switch initials up. We have a DD who starts withB and a DD who starts with A, so both those letters are out. Along with J. No more J names. 
  • Options
    K girls, we may have settled on a first name by some miracle, but I can't think of a good middle name. First name Paige, last name sounds kind of like Bailey (not our actual last name, just similar for context). I feel like it needs to be 2-3 syllables and start with a vowel (maybe, idk?) to flow well. Any ideas? I don't love super flowery names but I also don't like masculine girl names usually. Having trouble thinking of ones that go well! 
    Married 6/1/13
    BFP #1 7/2013 MMC 9/17/13
    BFP #2 5/2014 MC 6/15/14
    BFP #3 11/13/14 (Found in ER with ruptured cyst) Diagnosed MC 11/15/14
    BFP #4  4/2015 MC 7/1/15
    BFP #5 10/21/15  EDD 7/3/16 Praying for our rainbow! 
  • Options
    K girls, we may have settled on a first name by some miracle, but I can't think of a good middle name. First name Paige, last name sounds kind of like Bailey (not our actual last name, just similar for context). I feel like it needs to be 2-3 syllables and start with a vowel (maybe, idk?) to flow well. Any ideas? I don't love super flowery names but I also don't like masculine girl names usually. Having trouble thinking of ones that go well! 
    I know a Paige Elizabeth. 
  • Options
    Here too! I'm hoping once we know the sex it will be easier. And if not, technically we don't need to nail it down until we have to complete a birth certificate. But I still wish there were some names that "felt right". We still have a spreadsheet going for keeping track (about 13-15 for each sex on it) and I'm trying to just not think too hard about it yet. DH's standout favorite is Cooper for a boy or girl, which I think is ok but I don't really love it right now. At least we have until February to figure this out right?!
  • Options
    Ok I need some advice. So we thought we were set on if it's a boy, continuing DH family tradition of naming the eldest male "Edward" but each with a different middle name. My husband is an Edward but goes socially, if not legally, by his middle name. My FIL is Edward and goes by Eddie. His father was Edward and went by Ed. My husband was kind of set on continuing the tradition and, if it's a boy, naming him Edward Daniel (Daniel after my dad & also my middle name Danielle) and said we could just call him "Danny", leaving Edward out of the name once again. It just seems silly to me. (Hell, my family has the tradition of middle naming the oldest boys "Leroy" and that's not happening!) I kind of want our kid to has his own name and identity and skip the "Edward" or turning THAT into the middle name. My MIL even said "You're not going with Edward are you? That tradition must end!" so I'm confused. I love the name Connor and Connor Edward would be a nice compromise I think.

What would you all do?

****TW Signature****
    BabyFruit Ticker
    DD born 04/28/2002
    Married DH 03/25/2017
    1st MMC 08/13/2016 2nd MMC 02/14/2017
    BFP 06/16/17 Rainbow DS Born 02/05/2018

• Options
    Ok I need some advice. So we thought we were set on if it's a boy, continuing DH family tradition of naming the eldest male "Edward" but each with a different middle name. My husband is an Edward but goes socially, if not legally, by his middle name. My FIL is Edward and goes by Eddie. His father was Edward and went by Ed. My husband was kind of set on continuing the tradition and, if it's a boy, naming him Edward Daniel (Daniel after my dad & also my middle name Danielle) and said we could just call him "Danny", leaving Edward out of the name once again. It just seems silly to me. (Hell, my family has the tradition of middle naming the oldest boys "Leroy" and that's not happening!) I kind of want our kid to has his own name and identity and skip the "Edward" or turning THAT into the middle name. My MIL even said "You're not going with Edward are you? That tradition must end!" so I'm confused. I love the name Connor and Connor Edward would be a nice compromise I think.

What would you all do?
    I think it is fine ending it. In fact, with my son, we ended a very similar tradition. Our family name was Elwood Russell.  My son would have been the 4th. We opted to use the initials and went with Emmett Reed. I did not want to continue Elwood, sorry if anyone is partial to that name. 
  • Options
    jessilee15jessilee15 member
    edited August 2017

What would you all do?
    I was in the exact same position, except it was Albert. We named our son Albert Jackson and call him AJ. I had planned to call him Jack, but I HATE constantly explaining why my husband doesn't go by his legal name. So I felt like this was less confusing. I'm mostly over it, but given the chance to do it again, I would middle name it as a compromise. My MIL felt the same as yours...but FIL really appreciated it. 
  • Options

What would you all do?
    I was in the exact same position, except it was Albert. We named our son Albert Jackson and call him AJ. I had planned to call him Jack, but I HATE constantly explaining why my husband doesn't go by his legal name. So I felt like this was less confusing. I'm mostly over it, but given the chance to do it again, I would middle name it as a compromise. My MIL felt the same as yours...but FIL really appreciated it. 
    I know both grandpa's would be thrilled but I could also see FIL insisting on calling him Eddie and my dad calling him Danny. Poor kids going to get confused!

****TW Signature****
    BabyFruit Ticker
    DD born 04/28/2002
    Married DH 03/25/2017
    1st MMC 08/13/2016 2nd MMC 02/14/2017
    BFP 06/16/17 Rainbow DS Born 02/05/2018

• Options
    ^^I don't think it's a big issue to go by a middle name. I go by a nickname, and have never once used my given name of Catherine. It's not that big of a deal, just have to let people know. 
  • Options
    @rainafire77 Ha my FIL is Edward and goes by his middle name Chris! I like the Connor Edward compromise if he's just going to go by the middle anyways. Or Daniel Edward if it will appease your DH.
    Married 6/1/13
    BFP #1 7/2013 MMC 9/17/13
    BFP #2 5/2014 MC 6/15/14
    BFP #3 11/13/14 (Found in ER with ruptured cyst) Diagnosed MC 11/15/14
    BFP #4  4/2015 MC 7/1/15
    BFP #5 10/21/15  EDD 7/3/16 Praying for our rainbow! 
  • Options

What would you all do?
    I went through this with DS! 

DS is the first of 5 or 6 oldest boys in DH's family to not have Richard as a first name. DH goes by his middle name, and  we both think it's ridiculous that he doesn't go by his legal name. I can't even tell you how many times we have to explain to ppl why he doesn't go by it STILL... in his 30's. Making reservations? filling out paperwork for DS? It's a pain. 

When DS was born I told DH it wasn't fair bc it was OUR child and we both needed to be on board.  He has the family name as a middle name. To me that was a great compromise. 

I say be honest with your DH and tell him what you really want. You wouldn't name your child something he didn't like.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

What would you all do?
    Wht not do Edward Leroy Daniel? Or Edward Daniel Leroy? I'm very big on traditional family names. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
    older siblings: ds 16 dd 14 ds 13 dd 11 dd 7 
  • Options
    I know a Paige Nicole 
  • Options
    hudson202 said:
    ^^I don't think it's a big issue to go by a middle name. I go by a nickname, and have never once used my given name of Catherine. It's not that big of a deal, just have to let people know. 
    My legal name is also Katherine! And I have never ever been called Katherine! 
  • Options
    @hudson202 and @kbrinks2 i guess it's just more of a personal preference. I don't mind family names, but to me it's not really honoring it if you don't want your child to go by it. 

It was just an unnecessary strain to me. Every year at school to correct the teacher, every announcement to make sure they know, every ID check, every legal anything. I know some don't mind but to me it just seems like an unneeded pain. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    rainafire77 said: 
    Talked to DH and turns out, he just wanted Edward because it was easy to figure out. He really doesn't like Edward as a name. Lol So now, Edward is the middle name and we're working on first names! :smiley:
    Connor Edward! Great you talked to DH and found a nice way to honor but not feel confined by it!
  • Options
    I would avoid naming your child something you don't like just to please others. Also, I have gone by my middle name for my entire life and while I generally don't mind and sometimes feel mysterious with the first initial (.) middle name, and I like my middle name, it is often more annoying correcting teachers and doctors and employers who use my legal first name. Also, I ddon't feel like my first name is really me so having to always use it  on legal documents and such is also annoying. I'm not planning to call any of my children by their middle name because I've found  it a nuisance often enough. But obviously it's up to you and your husband. Just my two cents.
  • Options
    Talked to DH and turns out, he just wanted Edward because it was easy to figure out. He really doesn't like Edward as a name. Lol So now, Edward is the middle name and we're working on first names! :smiley:
    WINNING!!