June 2016 Moms

Baby medical care and ailments

Re: Baby medical care and ailments

• Ugh Preston woke up with a fever this morning and when I took him the dr, he tested positive for strep.  The worst part is that he is in a phase where he refuses to take medicine.  IDK how to make him take his meds when he keeps fighting or spitting it out.
  • Ugh Preston woke up with a fever this morning and when I took him the dr, he tested positive for strep.  The worst part is that he is in a phase where he refuses to take medicine.  IDK how to make him take his meds when he keeps fighting or spitting it out.
    Cam refuses medicine so I always have to put it in his milk. Maybe try that?
  • Loading the player...
  • Tawny87 said:
    Ugh Preston woke up with a fever this morning and when I took him the dr, he tested positive for strep.  The worst part is that he is in a phase where he refuses to take medicine.  IDK how to make him take his meds when he keeps fighting or spitting it out.
     He refuses to drink milk out of anything.  It's boob or nothing.  
  • Tawny87 said:
    Ugh Preston woke up with a fever this morning and when I took him the dr, he tested positive for strep.  The worst part is that he is in a phase where he refuses to take medicine.  IDK how to make him take his meds when he keeps fighting or spitting it out.
     He refuses to drink milk out of anything.  It's boob or nothing.  
    Well damn! Suppository I guess if necessity dictates. Fun for all!
  • Damien wasn't interested at all in my shepher's pie last night so he ended up snacking on a peanut butter sandwich. His mood was just fine though...until he randomly threw up. Today he pooped 5 times, each time it got softer and softer, then he would only eat peanut butter sandwich and a cheese quesadilla, wouldn't touch the shepher's pie again. Threw up again this evening while eating an arroowroot cookie. 

We think he might have a bug but I honestly don't know. He seems to be his usual self, no fever, just seems to only want plain foods, throw up, and poop a ton.
  • Poor Damien! I hope he feels better soon. Jackie's been battling a fever and general crankiness.
    DD1: June '16 DD2: March ‘19 :::: Married since 2011 :::: USN Wife ::::
  • Lots of diarrhea today, no vomiting this time around though so that's progress I guess. He has a bad diaper rash due to all the pooping though. Luckily he is still in good spirits and his appetite improved a bit. We bought him pedialyte and he's bounced between that and water throughout the day.

At one point he escaped from my husband during an outfit change, crawled naked out to the living room, and then proceeded to poop all ove the floor. My husband picked him up and then Damien managed to fling poop all over him during his flailing since he I guess had poop on his feet. It was a lovelu sight to behold.
  • @vintagevix2016 OMG... I would die. I hope you don't have carpet.
  • meggyme said:
    @vintagevix2016 OMG... I would die. I hope you don't have carpet.
    We have a big rug in there but luckily it happened on the wood floor haha. Easy clean-up at least!
  • Poor Damien! Hope he feels better soon
    Me (31) & DH (32)
    Married 9/27/2014
    DD Born 6/23/16
    Baby #2 Due 3/7/20
  • @meggyme How is Jackie doing with the fever?

@laurenm2123 Thanks, me too! I figure if it's a stomach bug, it should only last another day or two...hopefully.
  • She hasn't had a fever today but has still been cranky as hell. One minute she's cackling in laughter and the next she's melting down on the floor. She's been anti-daddy this weekend too which is sad because he leaves for work for the next week and a half. But she should be able to go to daycare on Monday.
  • Ahh, all the sickness. Summer bugs sucks, you expect it in the winter, but summer is so surprising and usually so much worse then if it actually manages to take hold. Best wishes to Preston, Damien, and Jackie! Oh, and @adiaz132003, @vintagevix2016, & @meggyme too.

Miles hasn't had sickness per say, but he had a nasty diaper rash last week that left him crying anytime he even got put down on the changing table. It flared up on Wednesday while he was with my mom and didn't get any better Thursday. On Friday, I worked from home to see if I could keep an eye on it/him and decide if his behavior, temperature, or diaper contents warranted a doctor's visit. 8 hours with me though and he looked much better, and by the end of the weekend he was great. Could just be bad luck, and I'm certainly not trying to blame my mom, but I would almost bet his sensitive butt is either allergic to something in the wipes she uses or she's a little aggressive with her wiping. He did have 5 bowel movements that Wednesday morning, so he got lots of wiping.
    Me: 32 DH: 31 *The old lady by 5 whole weeks*
    Married: 11/2013
    M: 6/2016  E: 5/2018
  • For an actual question: anyone else dealing with a frequent pooper? Miles has usually 3 different bowel movements a day, sometimes more. That seems like a lot to me, but I don't know if it's something worth mentioning to his doctor or not. It's not diarrhea, and it doesn't bother him at all. Are babies supposed to poop that much at this age?
  • @art+lea2013 poop is a very popular topic of conversation at our house.  I don't think anything hurts to ask the Dr. if you are unsure.  I have read that the pooping generally slows down as they get older, but normal is a pretty wide range.  Maybe he has a slight intolerance for dairy or something.

We shoot for once a day at our house, but like his parents Tristan is a little bit more on the constipated side, poor little guy.  I honestly cannot believe I am typing this, but I try to focus a little bit more on the consitency of the poop versus frequency, but at this point I have come to know that if it is more than a day since the last one he is most likely constipated.  Couple weeks ago, he cried in pain the whole time he pooped.  It was awful!  He just clung to me and cried...I finally got him to lay down and I tried to help by pushing his legs back.  I started researching high fiber foods that day.  

• egirl1025 said:
    @art+lea2013 poop is a very popular topic of conversation at our house.  I don't think anything hurts to ask the Dr. if you are unsure.  I have read that the pooping generally slows down as they get older, but normal is a pretty wide range.  Maybe he has a slight intolerance for dairy or something.

We shoot for once a day at our house, but like his parents Tristan is a little bit more on the constipated side, poor little guy.  I honestly cannot believe I am typing this, but I try to focus a little bit more on the consitency of the poop versus frequency, but at this point I have come to know that if it is more than a day since the last one he is most likely constipated.  Couple weeks ago, he cried in pain the whole time he pooped.  It was awful!  He just clung to me and cried...I finally got him to lay down and I tried to help by pushing his legs back.  I started researching high fiber foods that day.  

Damien usually poops once a day but does go through periods where it's every other day. I'm like you though and try to focus on consistency rather than frequency. That said, if he goes more than 1-2 days, I worry a little bit. That's rare though.

It's also not uncommon for Damien to have "omg why does it hurt!?" poops in which he cries and wants to be held. I try to give him high fiber foods to help with that, so far so good. 
  • For an actual question: anyone else dealing with a frequent pooper? Miles has usually 3 different bowel movements a day, sometimes more. That seems like a lot to me, but I don't know if it's something worth mentioning to his doctor or not. It's not diarrhea, and it doesn't bother him at all. Are babies supposed to poop that much at this age?
    Ethan poops 2-3 times a day. He's never gone a day without poop. Lol
  • laurendiaz02laurendiaz02 member
    edited August 2017
    Also, @art+lea2013 In regards to wipes your mom is using...I made my parents (well, they actually asked) buy exactly what we use at home for diapers, wipes, butt cream, sunscreen etc. I don't want anything new used on him if it's not at our house for fear of a reaction. 
  • Also, @art+lea2013 In regards to wipes your mom is using...I made my parents (well, they actually asked) buy exactly what we use at home for diapers, wipes, butt cream, sunscreen etc. I don't want anything new used on him if it's not at our house for fear of a reaction. 
    I did the same thing for daycare. They have the diapers, wipes, butt cream, sunscreen, etc. that we use. Both sets of grandparents usually stock up on what we uses as well, except when my FiL does the shopping. He doesn't think there's a difference between brands or types.
  • Anyone else's kid still scream bloody freaking murder everytime they take a bath?! Cameron's baths are all of about 30 seconds so that we can quickly get him clean and out of the water.
  • Jackie likes bath time, but doesn't like rinsing her hair out.
  • meggyme said:
    Jackie likes bath time, but doesn't like rinsing her hair out.
    Second that! Damien haaaates it when I rinse his hair, otherwise he loves baths.
  • So Jackie developed a light rash as I was getting her ready for bed. Luckily our new pediatrician has an after hours office. We were able to get in so quickly! Apparently Jackie had a virus over the weekend, hence the cough, fever, black poops, and shitty mood. She said it's related, but since she's 24hours post fever shouldn't be contagious and can go to daycare. At first I was worried she somehow got the measles since they said she could have a rash when she got her MMR vaccine.
  • Tawny87 said:
    Anyone else's kid still scream bloody freaking murder everytime they take a bath?! Cameron's baths are all of about 30 seconds so that we can quickly get him clean and out of the water.
    Calvin has always hated baths. I even get in with him and he just tries to climb out. So frustrating, but I'm glad I'm not the only one.
  • I've made a dr. appt for Damien. He had a couple of decent poops but now they're back to being diarrhea and super mucusy. We're on Day 2 of it (I reset the clock when he had good poops) so I know it's early and may clear up on its own. The dr can't see him until Tuesday so we'll see what happens between now and then.
  • Ethan has developed a pretty yucky cough. We're doing baby chest rub and essential oils. Anything else I should be using?  
  • Ethan has developed a pretty yucky cough. We're doing baby chest rub and essential oils. Anything else I should be using?  
    I've used Kids 0-9 Cough & Cold Syrup with Damien when his coughs got bad and it seemed to really help. It's homeopathic so some might argue that it's just in my head that it helps but I've seen a difference. During one of my bad colds, I used the nighttime one and slept much better. I'm not sure if it's available in the US tho.
  • A humidifier and raising one side of the crib is supposed to help. The nurse line I called last weekend for Jackie's cough said even just a slight angle helps keep any mucus from tickling their throats causing a cough.
  • Jack has bronchitis  :( Giving him breathing treatments is the absolute worst thing, I have to hold him down while he screams. He got sick his first week of day care...  :'(
  • bankssl1 said:
    Jack has bronchitis  :( Giving him breathing treatments is the absolute worst thing, I have to hold him down while he screams. He got sick his first week of day care...  :'(
    Oh no!! That's awful, I'm so sorry he's going through bronchitis. 

Damien's been consistently sick since starting daycare in April. It sucks big time. I hope Jack is able to kick the illness quickly and not have any further bouts for a long time.
  • bankssl1 said:
    Jack has bronchitis  :( Giving him breathing treatments is the absolute worst thing, I have to hold him down while he screams. He got sick his first week of day care...  :'(
    Oh no!! That's awful, I'm so sorry he's going through bronchitis. 

Damien's been consistently sick since starting daycare in April. It sucks big time. I hope Jack is able to kick the illness quickly and not have any further bouts for a long time.
    Thank you! Yes, it totally sucks. I actually signed him up for JuicePlus a few days ago to help his immune system since I know day care is so germy. 
  • Oh no! I hope Jack feels better!
    Me (31) & DH (32)
    Married 9/27/2014
    DD Born 6/23/16
    Baby #2 Due 3/7/20
  • Thank you! We are getting there!
  • So I thought we were over the virus Jackie had the weekend before this last weekend. Now she came home from daycare with fever and diarrhea, in addition to the cough she still has, and the rash she had last Monday. She also burp/puked a bit once we were home. Can't get an appt until tomorrow, so we are going on the chicken and rice diet tonight.
  • meggyme said:
    So I thought we were over the virus Jackie had the weekend before this last weekend. Now she came home from daycare with fever and diarrhea, in addition to the cough she still has, and the rash she had last Monday. She also burp/puked a bit once we were home. Can't get an appt until tomorrow, so we are going on the chicken and rice diet tonight.
    That sounds terrible. Best of luck!
  • meggyme said:
    So I thought we were over the virus Jackie had the weekend before this last weekend. Now she came home from daycare with fever and diarrhea, in addition to the cough she still has, and the rash she had last Monday. She also burp/puked a bit once we were home. Can't get an appt until tomorrow, so we are going on the chicken and rice diet tonight.
    Poor Jackie! You can give her apples, bananas and toast too. Hope she starts feeling better soon!
    Me (31) & DH (32)
    Married 9/27/2014
    DD Born 6/23/16
    Baby #2 Due 3/7/20
  • Damien woke up a little bit ago with a 101.2 fever. I gave him a fever reducer, some water, and a bit of snuggles and he went right back to sleep. I remember commenting at bedtime that he felt a little warm but I knew it would have been a super low fever, if at all. Keeping an eye on it to see how things develop. 
  • Doctor yesterday said Jackie has a sinus infection, bad reaction to mosquito bites, and a stomach bug. We have 10 days of antibiotics. Hopefully that does it. She also said that at 13 months the immunities from pregnancy are starting to wear off. By 15 months they'll be gone. This winter should be fun...
  • Yesterday Jackie and I were outside playing and she got bit by a mosquito under her eye (with bug spray on everything but her face and head). This morning she woke up with a swollen lump under her eye. I gave her some of her allergy meds, put some hydrocortisone on it and plan to call the doc. Of course this all happens the day after my husband leaves for the weekend.  :s
  • meggyme said:
    Yesterday Jackie and I were outside playing and she got bit by a mosquito under her eye (with bug spray on everything but her face and head). This morning she woke up with a swollen lump under her eye. I gave her some of her allergy meds, put some hydrocortisone on it and plan to call the doc. Of course this all happens the day after my husband leaves for the weekend.  :s
    Oh no!  Hope she's okay and the swelling goes down.