June 2016 Moms

Baby medical care and ailments

Re: Baby medical care and ailments

• Savannah has her first fever, 103.2 :s

Doctor says it's viral and she's acting totally normal but my heart just breaks for my poor babe

Preston had a bad fever that lasted 3-4 days with no other symptoms then the day after the fever broke he got a crazy rash that started in the groin/belly area then spread everywhere.  It's sixth's desease aka Roseola.  Super common, super contagious and totally harmless as long as you keep the fever under control.  So keep an eye out for a rash.
  • meggyme said:
    Are any of your LOs showing signs of seasonal allergies? Yesterday was the first sunny day in awhile so the babies were taken to the park. Damien was apparently doing just fine until the outing and the nap afterwards. He woke up with a fever, eyes all red, nose running, etc. He was in good spirits once we gave him a "comfort" bath and fever-reducer. He ate and drank just fine and even slept through the night. THere was no fever by bedtime and none this morning. My husband has allergies big time so we're thinking maybe Damien does too?

A few months ago Jackie had a persistent cough with no other symptoms. The ped suspected allergies (DH has hay fever) and gave us liquid generic Zyrtec. It seemed to help some and I only give it as needed.
    My husband has hay fever as well and yesterday was a bit rough for him, that's when he thought Damien might have allergies too. I'll bring up the possibility with the ped when we see her again for his 12 month check-up. Something like Zyrtec might be worth a shot! Thanks for the tip :-)
  • Loading the player...

Doctor says it's viral and she's acting totally normal but my heart just breaks for my poor babe

Preston had a bad fever that lasted 3-4 days with no other symptoms then the day after the fever broke he got a crazy rash that started in the groin/belly area then spread everywhere.  It's sixth's desease aka Roseola.  Super common, super contagious and totally harmless as long as you keep the fever under control.  So keep an eye out for a rash.
    Thanks! Will do!
    Me (31) & DH (32)
    Married 9/27/2014
    DD Born 6/23/16
    Baby #2 Due 3/7/20

This sounds like what happened to Miles last weekend. Two days of 102 fever, followed by 3 days of torso/neck rash. Thought the rash might have been related to the 90+ degree weather here, but Roseola could be it. He was completely fine otherwise. So weird
    Me: 32 DH: 31 *The old lady by 5 whole weeks*
    Married: 11/2013
    M: 6/2016  E: 5/2018
  • Savannah is getting so cranky now, and all she wants is boobs. I am exhausted!! Hoping this clears up soon :(
    Me (31) & DH (32)
    Married 9/27/2014
    DD Born 6/23/16
    Baby #2 Due 3/7/20
  • Abby had roseola a month or so ago. Several days of fever with no other symptoms and then when the rash appeared she was SO cranky. It lasted several days and then she was back to normal. After some internet sleuthing, I read that some babies are little demons for a few days after roseola. 
  • Has anyone had a particularly rough time with vaccinations this time around? Damien never really exhibited negative effects of getting them (nit cranky, no fever, etc.) but this time he's been super cranky and he's having a difficult time going down for the night. He only seems to want to sleep if I'm holding him, a comfort thing I think.
  • Has anyone had a particularly rough time with vaccinations this time around? Damien never really exhibited negative effects of getting them (nit cranky, no fever, etc.) but this time he's been super cranky and he's having a difficult time going down for the night. He only seems to want to sleep if I'm holding him, a comfort thing I think.
    Did he just recieve them today? If so yeah he is probably just having a rough night after his shots. Maybe a bit of ib profin might help?
  • Tawny87 said:
    Has anyone had a particularly rough time with vaccinations this time around? Damien never really exhibited negative effects of getting them (nit cranky, no fever, etc.) but this time he's been super cranky and he's having a difficult time going down for the night. He only seems to want to sleep if I'm holding him, a comfort thing I think.
    Did he just recieve them today? If so yeah he is probably just having a rough night after his shots. Maybe a bit of ib profin might help?
    Oh I'm 99.9% sure it's vaccines-related. We gave him ibuprofen but it hasnhelped much. Luckily tomorrow is a halfday for me so if it's a rough night, then I can grab a nap tomorrow.
  • Tawny87 said:
    Has anyone had a particularly rough time with vaccinations this time around? Damien never really exhibited negative effects of getting them (nit cranky, no fever, etc.) but this time he's been super cranky and he's having a difficult time going down for the night. He only seems to want to sleep if I'm holding him, a comfort thing I think.
    Oh I'm 99.9% sure it's vaccines-related. We gave him ibuprofen but it hasnhelped much. Luckily tomorrow is a halfday for me so if it's a rough night, then I can grab a nap tomorrow.
    Poor kiddo woke with a 103 fever at 3am. I gave him more ibuprofen and waited 20min to check again. He was fine after that and was back to normal this morning. I'd say it was definitely related to the vaccines. 
  • Anyone dealing with an egg allergy?  Preston never has an issue with things baked with egg like breads or cakes if any kind, but if he eats just straight eggs he throws up almost right away.  He has his check-up today so I'll ask about it but I wanted to poke your brains 
  • Anyone dealing with an egg allergy?  Preston never has an issue with things baked with egg like breads or cakes if any kind, but if he eats just straight eggs he throws up almost right away.  He has his check-up today so I'll ask about it but I wanted to poke your brains 
    Does he throw up as he's eating it or does it happen after he's finished eating? Damien isn't a fan of eggs and usually spits it out. I chalk it up to texture. He's come close to throwing up when his gag reflex kicked in but never fully vomited.
  • Ok boy moms.  For those that had them circumcised, are any of you still having to deal with re-adhesion issues?  I thought we were done worrying about that until today.  I check it and do still push back the skin at most diaper changes but today he had been a little fussy and on the underside of his penis is red and it looks like ttrying to adhere again.  I rubbed it apart like the doc did and applied Vaseline and he's acting fine now.  Has you experience been similar or is this something I should be concerned about?
    @StayingFocused We had some readhesion issues with DS, but did what your ped suggested and used A&D during diaper changes.  I personally was hesitant to do any pulling on the skin.  Definitely point it out to your ped at appointments so they can keep an eye on it, but not something you should need to go in about otherwise. I believe most of the time they outgrow it (like my DS did), but sometimes it requires a minor procedure to help with when they are older (like 18-24m).
    Does he throw up as he's eating it or does it happen after he's finished eating? Damien isn't a fan of eggs and usually spits it out. I chalk it up to texture. He's come close to throwing up when his gag reflex kicked in but never fully vomited.

After he's done like 20-30 min later.  He had his check-up today and I can't remember what she called it but basically it's an intolerance.  She said egg protein doesn't cook fully unless it's baked, hence why he's fine with things that have egg in them but gets sick with eggs by themselves.  She said to keep feeding him baked goods with egg but to avoid scrambled, hard boiled, soft boiled, poached, over easy eggs 
    I'm that way but I'm not sure if mine is not psychosomatic because I think eggs are the most disgusting thing ever. 
  • I've noticed that when Damien sits, he often curls his toes. He seems to do it even when he has socks on, so I don't think it's related to having cold feet. Anyone else noticing this? I've thought of mentioning it to his physical therapist but wasn't sure if I was just being paranoid over nothing. 
  • I've noticed that when Damien sits, he often curls his toes. He seems to do it even when he has socks on, so I don't think it's related to having cold feet. Anyone else noticing this? I've thought of mentioning it to his physical therapist but wasn't sure if I was just being paranoid over nothing. 
    Is he walking on his toes? Of so I'd bring it up. I notice Preston curls his toes too but usually if something touches his foot.
    Miles will curl his toes for balance, even when he's sitting. If he reaches really far for something when he's sitting, or he's holding something out in front of him, toes will curl. Obviously, he's not balancing on his feet, but it's instinct for now.
  • Damien isn't really walking, he might take a step or two while holding onto something. He doesn't seem to curl them when he stands unless he is a bit off balance and goes to his tiptoes if he is reaching for something (makes sense). It's really just when he sits that he curls them. Maybe it is just a balance thing. I have some stretches I plan to do with his little feet to help keep them loose.

• Well he was super crabby last night and he has started drooling, has never drooled before so here's hoping these top ones will be out soon. The bottom ones do not look like they are up to anything.
  • We took a trip to the pet store to get more dog food (Damien's been in there before but it's been awhile) but after being in there a couple of minutes, I noticed his eyes were red and must have been super itchy because he kept rubbing them. We think he may be allergic to some sort of pet but we aren't sure what. He doesn't have any reaction to our dog and he was fine around my parents' cat. That said, my husband is mildly allergic to our dog and highly allergic to most cats (some breeds, like my parents' cat, he is fine around). I was very much hoping he would be like me and not have any allergies but it doesn't look like that will be the case (for now).
  • We took a trip to the pet store to get more dog food (Damien's been in there before but it's been awhile) but after being in there a couple of minutes, I noticed his eyes were red and must have been super itchy because he kept rubbing them. We think he may be allergic to some sort of pet but we aren't sure what. He doesn't have any reaction to our dog and he was fine around my parents' cat. That said, my husband is mildly allergic to our dog and highly allergic to most cats (some breeds, like my parents' cat, he is fine around). I was very much hoping he would be like me and not have any allergies but it doesn't look like that will be the case (for now).
    Pet stores probably also have more dander flying around than the typical house with a pet.
    DD1: June '16 DD2: March ‘19 :::: Married since 2011 :::: USN Wife ::::
  • meggyme said:
    We took a trip to the pet store to get more dog food (Damien's been in there before but it's been awhile) but after being in there a couple of minutes, I noticed his eyes were red and must have been super itchy because he kept rubbing them. We think he may be allergic to some sort of pet but we aren't sure what. He doesn't have any reaction to our dog and he was fine around my parents' cat. That said, my husband is mildly allergic to our dog and highly allergic to most cats (some breeds, like my parents' cat, he is fine around). I was very much hoping he would be like me and not have any allergies but it doesn't look like that will be the case (for now).
    Pet stores probably also have more dander flying around than the typical house with a pet.
    That's pretty much my line of thinking as well so I imagine just being in a home with a dog or cat (or both) wouldn't be an issue. He was at a home on Saturday that had cat hair (and I'm sure dander too) everywhere and he was fine.
  • Damien is sick with another cold. He caught it while we were at the in-laws' house and it seems to be at it's worst today. He woke up during the night with a 103 fever (previous fevers this week were low) and his cough sounds terrible. The earliest the ped can see him is Wednesday so hopefully it doesn't get much worse in the meantime. I'm debating whether to keep him home until then, which sucks since I've already been gone from work for a week. I just hate the idea of being that parent that brings their sick kid to daycare/school. I also feel like keeping him home will ensure he isn't overexerting himself. Poor kiddo, this was the longest stretch of not being sick that he has had since starting daycare, lasted 1.5 weeks!
  • Poor Damien! Any other symptoms? Does it sound like he's wheezing or anything? And green snot/mucus?
    Me (31) & DH (32)
    Married 9/27/2014
    DD Born 6/23/16
    Baby #2 Due 3/7/20
  • Poor Damien! Any other symptoms? Does it sound like he's wheezing or anything? And green snot/mucus?
    His appetite comes and goes, then it's the high fever, deep phlegmy cough, restless sleep, and cranky. His mucus was greenish for one day a couple of days ago, when his cough got deeper and had more phlegm, but it went back to clear the following day. 
  • adiaz132003adiaz132003 member
    edited July 2017
    Poor Damien! Any other symptoms? Does it sound like he's wheezing or anything? And green snot/mucus?
    His appetite comes and goes, then it's the high fever, deep phlegmy cough, restless sleep, and cranky. His mucus was greenish for one day a couple of days ago, when his cough got deeper and had more phlegm, but it went back to clear the following day. 
    I personally wouldn't send him to daycare cause you don't want other kids get sick and for the cold to cycle back at ya.  As for work, I guess it depends on what you do and if having him with you would hinder your work in a way that it would be better to stay home.

Eta: I misread the original post and thought you were debating bringing him to work with you. 
    I personally wouldn't send him to daycare cause you don't want other kids get sick and for the cold to cycle back at ya.  As for work, I guess it depends on what you do and if having him with you would hinder your work in a way that it would be better to stay home.

Eta: I misread the original post and thought you were debating bringing him to work with you. 
    Funny enough, I bet my boss would love to have Damien around (she loves babies and our office is very small, plus I have my own private office). I'm fortunate that my work can be done from home but with him running around, I usually only get time to do anything during his naps so I end up just taking a half-day. 
  • egirl1025egirl1025 member
    edited July 2017
    Well we had our first major mishap at daycare today.  Tristan fell and hit his mouth, tearing his frenulum and gave him a bit of a fat lip.  DH was livid!  Overall not much we can do but wait a few days for it to heal.  Poor little guy.  Overall hasn't phased him too much.  Just feel bad that it happened.  
  • egirl1025 said:
    Well we had our first major mishap at daycare today.  Tristan fell and hit his mouth, tearing his frenulum and gave him a bit of a fat lip.  DH was livid!  Overall not much we can do but wait a few days for it to heal.  Poor little guy.  Overall hasn't phased him too much.  Just feel bad that it happened.  
    Oh no! Poor guy. We had our first walking accident the other day. I'm not quite ready to start dealing with the slips, trips, and falls of toddlerhood.
    DD1: June '16 DD2: March ‘19 :::: Married since 2011 :::: USN Wife ::::
  • egirl1025 said:
    So sorry to hear! S had an accident back in February, after only about a month into starting daycare. He fell into a piece of furniture and bruised his face pretty badly. I was sooooo angry and guilty, so I can feel for you and your husband.
  • egirl1025 said:
    Poor guy! I hope he heals up soon!
  • @egirl1025 Awww poor thing! I hope he has a speedy recovery!! 
  • egirl1025 said:
    Ouch ouch ouch. Glad he's taking it well. Mouth injuries suck, so much blood flow and so hard to eat and drink after. Hopefully he's still doing ok getting some fluids and soft foods
  • Thanks for all the well wishes!  He has been such a trooper.  Honestly when we got home from the doctor last night he must have been starving because he basically ate a whole happy meal.  DH got him 6 chicken nuggets (DH decided that removing the breading and eating it himself was healthier), most of his fries, half the go-gurt and I gave him a splash of chocolate milk in his regular milk.  He has a flap of skin in between his front teeth, but according to the Dr. that will just wear away on its own or get rubbed off.  I am slightly embarrassed by the dinner choices, but it was a rough day, so sorry, not sorry. :smile:

DH has started to look at new daycares...part of me think he is overreacting because what happened could have totally happened at home, but I cannot fault him for looking to do the best we can for our little guy.  Just thinking about switching to a new place and then just having something bad happen again...
  • Poor Tristan! Glad to hear he's okay
    Me (31) & DH (32)
    Married 9/27/2014
    DD Born 6/23/16
    Baby #2 Due 3/7/20
  • Ethan woke up with a slight cough and a really runny nose. Anything I can give him to help?  (He's in good spirits). 
  • edited July 2017
    Ethan woke up with a slight cough and a really runny nose. Anything I can give him to help?  (He's in good spirits). 
    Saline spray+sucking out the ick 5-6 times a day. Our ped instructed us to do that, plus we use a humidifier at night in his nursery. Oh and baby vicks. Damien has been congested (often with a full-blown cold) since the beginning of April and all the above gets us through it pretty well. Keep an eye out for fever (we use baby advil) and coughs. Damien loses his appetite a bit if it gets too bad so having foods I know he loves on hand is a good way to ensure he eats at least a little. He loves the Love Child puree pouches, which are great for those moments too.

And of course keep a pack of wipes eeeeverywhere so you can clean his face when the snot escapes.

Edit: We use Vicks mini cool mist humidifier since we didn't want it to get too warm in his room and we don't have a ton of space. We also don't use the Vicks pad insert BUT we've done so in our room when one of us has a cold and it's awesome.
  • Thanks @vintagevix2016!  We're doing all of that just wanted to know if there was anything else.  :). Let's hope this passes before our first plane ride with him on august 7th!
  • Anyone have tips for removing splinters? Damien crawled on a friend's porch and his knees are full of splinters. I got a few out using Elmer's glue and then tried an epsom salt bath that pushed out a few more. I think the remaining ones will need to be removed with sterilized tweezers and needle but I'd like to exhaust my options before going that route. They don't seem to bother him though and I've been keeping them clean, dry, and covered with an antibiotic ointment (akin to neosporin).