January 2018 Moms

Names

Re: Names

• We are leaning towards Fisher Colin. Is Fisher cute? Or weird. We love it, but maybe it's too "younique" 
  • @aisy-daisy I love it. DH has an uncle and aunt with that as their last name and I for one am a fan of last names as first names. ;) ((we're considering Anderson if this baby is a boy - big last name where I grew up)
  • Loading the player...
  • mindaamindaa member
    Ok, so I need some opinions. The girl name I've been obsessed with is Allegra. It's a musical term. I held up hope that the stupid drug would go away by time I had kids, but it hasn't.

So before I consider it, I just need to know how strong the brand association is... Would it be closer to naming a baby Ford (acceptable) or more like naming a kid Kleenex.(not acceptable)??
    Me-37, DH-38
    Married in 2006, TTC #1 since Jan 2012

Baby Boy born June 1, 2015

He settles her in her home as a happy mother of children, praise the Lord! (Psalms 113:9)
    And the peace of God, which surpasses all understand, will guard your heart and mind in Jesus Christ (Philippians 4:7)

• @mindaa to be honest as soon as I read the word Allegra, the thought medication came to mind. However, as hard as it is to picture your child in the future identifying with a name, they always seem to become that name.  It's like how people say "I couldn't imagine that child being anyone else but Peter" or whatever.  People are named after things all the time. Allegra has been really successful at marketing their product so I'd imagine many people will recognize the name as a med but that doesn't mean you should take it out of consideration.  My advice is to get one of those books and make a list of names you like. You may change your mind or you may be reaffirmed. 
  • @mindaa I've only heard it as a name once, an employee a costco, lol! I'll admit everytime I read it I think of the medication but that doesn't change the fact that I love it. I remember telling her once. She's super pretty and helpful and fits the name well. I like it!
  • @mindaa I named my first car Allegra (Integra) and called her Ally! Love the name. And had no idea about the drug until this conversation (honestly, I lived in Germany 2 of the last 4 years but must have my head in the ground or something). Keep in mind that Allegra the drug probably won't be around for 30 years. So, if you truly love it, I wouldn't let the drug stop you. I do not think it's like the Kleenex situation. There are definitely people named Allegra in history!
  • @mindaa I have worked in a pharmacy for 10 years. All I can think of is allergies when I hear Allegra but that is just me
  • @mindaa when i see the name Allegra i think of the 90s kids tv show Allegra's window it was all about music and singing. I love the name
  • karcar14karcar14 member
    edited July 2017
    DH and I have agreed on a boy and girl name but as time goes by I am second guessing our choices:

Boy - Gavin Neil
    Girl - Emilia Joy (nickname Emmy)
  • @mindaa @mommaSG I totally thought of that 90s cartoon Allegra's Window too! I say go with the name if that's what you love. 

@karcar14 My son is named Gavin. I love it so much! And it's not all that popular right now. I say go for it, although I'm a little biased lol 
  • Hubby and I agree on almost nothing. I have a hunch baby might be a girl... He wants Kierra Eirlys for a girl, but insists on mispronouncing the Welsh name Eirlys. (It's like AIR-less, he says ear-LEASE.) I can't... Can't mangle a name like that. And I hate Kierra too.

I like the sort of dated musty old lady names. I wanted Joslyn after my grandmother Joyce or Tamryn after my favorite aunt who has the really unique name Tamela. I also like Valerie, Beverly, and Mallory, but he vetoed them all.

We'll have to wait and find out the gender, I guess. We did a little better with boy names, we both like Adrian and Morgan. We both love Locke, but it sounds awful with our last name which is very Celtic, and starts with Kin-... Locke Kin- sounds like someone is coughing up a hairball. 
  • kelk5kelk5 member
    @mindaa I personally love the name Allegra and heard music playing in my head when I read it. I knew an Allegra growing up.
  • mindaamindaa member
    Thanks ladies! SUPER helpful. 
    I know the Hitch character but I'm old, so I've never seen the cartoon, am going to have to check it out!
    We don't even know if it's a girl yet, but it's nice to be prepared :)
    Me-37, DH-38

He settles her in her home as a happy mother of children, praise the Lord! (Psalms 113:9)
    And the peace of God, which surpasses all understand, will guard your heart and mind in Jesus Christ (Philippians 4:7)

• Ok, I could really use some ideas for boy names. Something that sounds nice with the middle name Edward, and something that sounds nice with a sibling named Gavin. A lot of the names I like seem to sound rhymey with Gavin. (Owen, Jackson, Evan, Calvin) lol
  • My hubby's name is Steven James!
  • @steph30032 - How about Chase, Logan or Cole? I think they all flow well w Edward and Gavin (which I love btw!)
  • @aisy-daisy my ex named his son Fisher. Ex is a professional fly fisherman. Everyone has loved the name! I think it's cool.
  • ambodt22ambodt22 member
    edited July 2017
    DH and I have been talking about names for weeks and are finding that girls names are so much easier to come up with but boy names are a struggle! We've come up with a couple for each that we love but aren't totally sold on any yet

Boy: Jack Owen or Keagan Paul
    Girl: Kemper, Sage, or Sienna
    (middle name will be Marie since I dropped my middle name when we got married and my grandmother named me)
  • Anyone else bummed that the list of 2017 top names won't be out in time for us to name our babies!?

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Pearson Worth named after both of our grandfathers!

Jaxon Mason is our sons name. Mason being my maiden name, and the intention of calling him Jax but completely fell in love with Jaxon the more I said it!
  • crizz13 said:
    Anyone else bummed that the list of 2017 top names won't be out in time for us to name our babies!?
    Yes. So bummed. But I think we have a good enough idea from the 2016 list to know what the likely top names will be. ;) 
  • @crizz13 and @auntieraindrop i found that on www.babycenter.com/top-baby-names-2017.htm i was relieved to see mine isnt in the top 100 yet wooo because i strongly refuse to change Arabella which is 140 or Emmett which is 141
  • edited July 2017
    @mommaSG the Social Security Administration puts out the top 1000 names for the previous year in about April. You can't really have the official list until the year is over because people are still naming their 2017 babies! But the 2016 list is a pretty good place to start and BabyCenter has their list which is "so far" in 2017.

Also Nameberry keeps track of which names are rising in popularity on their site (which is mostly people who are name geeks) and that usually tracks fairly close to which names will probably be rising with the general public too. 
  • caseyw8784caseyw8784 member
    edited July 2017
    @mommaSG - according to the babycenter list, DH and i are all over the board in terms of the popularity...our girl name is #4, but our boy name is #133! :lol:

eta: words are hard.
  • @caseyw8784 with the boy name we did a random generator and looked the meaning up and ot stuck. The girl name i read in a book and fell in love however i also liked Ariella. I like the nicknames for the girls bc they go with disney theme. Plus it had to rhymes with Kayla, Aleah and my name Samantha so it makes me relieved that Arabella, Ariella and Emmett arent that popular
  • @mindaa I was aware of the name Allegra long before the allergy medicine came out. So when I hear it, I don't immediately think of the drug. It's a beautiful and not-overused name. I say go for it!
  • @aimsforyou2014 I love the name Elijah for your little guy and think it's special you've already named him. Imho, a single syllable name would flow nicely. 

Elijah Clay
    " Cole
    " Cade
    " Layne 
    " Jay
    " Beau/Bo
    " Dane
    " Mark, etc.

However, I think naming based on meaning could be very special as @jaclyn0405 mentioned. 
  • @aimsforyou2014 I think that's an amazing idea. I love the name Elijah and I think it pairs well with a lot of other names.

Elijah James 
    Elijah Thomas
    Elijah Mark
    Elijah Andrew
  • @aimsforyou2014 I like Elijah James or Elijah Thomas. Classic strong names that sound good with any last name. 
  • kelk5kelk5 member
    @aimsforyou2014 I think that is a great idea. Elijah is a wonderful name. I like Elijah James personally. Another idea would be to give him a family name for his middle name. Maybe his dad's name
  • mindaamindaa member
    No suggestions, but that's an awesome idea.
    Me-37, DH-38

• Autumn for a girl or brooklyn for a boy x
  • Sooooo we picked a name for our baby girl, the problem is when I googled the name a serial killer popped up... lol Parker Ray- parker bc we love that name and Ray after my grandfather. Well there is a serial killer named David parker ray- a really sadistic sicko. If it was just one name I wouldn't care but two?? What would you do? 
  • @koennia1217 could you change the spelling of Ray to be Rae? My friend has the middle name Rae. The upside is that it makes it more feminine. I wouldn't put too much stock into that google search, you are naming her after your grandfather, not some bad person online. 
  • I thought about that but since we're naming her after him I want it to be the same spelling. Might just change it to Parker Mae. Name our second kid after grandfather lol. 
  • I would worry about the serial killer connection. :(