December 2017 Moms

Harmony Test/Early Gender Detection Experiences

Re: Harmony Test/Early Gender Detection Experiences

• atackatack member
      I am struggling making this decision to have the Natera testing done.  DH wants to and we didn't with our first two totally healthy pregnancies and babies.  I just am not sure what to do if the risk comes back high!  Any feedback or thoughts.  I'm now 33, third pregnancy, and this pregnancy was not planned! 

Did you all do do this for the generic side or to find out the gender early? I have no desire to know the gender or do I really care about whether it's a boy or girl- just want a totally healthy baby.  (So cliche I know- sorry!!!)
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • atackatack member
    @vvitchhazel thank you for your response- that's a good point! I am more looking at the stress it will cause me with a false positive!!! Just not something we've dealt with in the previous 2 pregnancies! Being 33 makes me more apt to be nervous 
  • @atack We sat down with a genetic counselor for an hour and she explained that it has a 99% accuracy rate. I Googled false positives before we got our MaterniT21 results and everything I found was outdated. The NIPTs like MaterniT21, Harmony,  Panorama, etc have higher  accuracy rates than the combination of the NT scan and the blood test that goes along with that. If the test does come back positive, your next option would be more invasive testing like CVS and amnio. Also, remember that NIPTs are not considered diagnostic... They just show the risks.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @atack the anatomy scan at around 20 weeks should also pick up the trisomies.  If you feel that you'd continue the pregnancy regardless and just want time to prepare if the baby will have special needs, it's not like you will have no warning.
  • atackatack member
    @vvitchhazel DH is sold on the best, most accurate test, so we will be going through with it.  I will just be a nervous wreck praying all is healthy and fine while we wait.  He is very upset that I am even pregnant - he will love the baby, but he is so concerned that we are playing with fate since we have two perfectly happy and healthy kiddos (boy and girl).  I was on the pill and I missed a few in February.  Took a pregnancy test before my March period and it was negative, I got what I thought was my period in March a few days later - sooo relieved.  Then my April period never showed.  I was 100% certain/convinced I lucked out with missing a few pills and not getting pregnant, so I was in shock when I took another test in April and it was positive.  Like what the!   It was not on purpose and totally an accident.   Only other thing I can think of is my pills in March were expired as I went through my drawer of pills (the company kept sending me new packages) and when I was pregnant/nursing last time years ago, I stockpiled them - never realizing crap they could expire.  I have no clue which pack I was using in March (as it was tossed) and it very well could have been expired - he's really hurt about that thinking I did it on purpose, which was not the case at all.  It stinks because I totally wanted a third, but I figured I'd get him on board next year when our youngest heads to kindergarten and would be done daycare costs.  Now, it was just poor timing and a total accident. I feel at fault for everything and I am just praying this baby is totally healthy because I don't think I can live with some other answer other than that :( 

Now, I know we are blessed and I am so fortunate to be on this side than other sides that you can be on with infertility, so I am not wishing this pregnancy away, but it just wasn't what we planned for, life throws you curve balls and sometimes it's scary!
  • atack said:
    vvitchhazel DH is sold on the best, most accurate test, so we will be going through with it.  I will just be a nervous wreck praying all is healthy and fine while we wait.  He is very upset that I am even pregnant - he will love the baby, but he is so concerned that we are playing with fate since we have two perfectly happy and healthy kiddos (boy and girl).  I was on the pill and I missed a few in February.  Took a pregnancy test before my March period and it was negative, I got what I thought was my period in March a few days later - sooo relieved.  Then my April period never showed.  I was 100% certain/convinced I lucked out with missing a few pills and not getting pregnant, so I was in shock when I took another test in April and it was positive.  Like what the!   It was not on purpose and totally an accident.   Only other thing I can think of is my pills in March were expired as I went through my drawer of pills (the company kept sending me new packages) and when I was pregnant/nursing last time years ago, I stockpiled them - never realizing crap they could expire.  I have no clue which pack I was using in March (as it was tossed) and it very well could have been expired - he's really hurt about that thinking I did it on purpose, which was not the case at all.  It stinks because I totally wanted a third, but I figured I'd get him on board next year when our youngest heads to kindergarten and would be done daycare costs.  Now, it was just poor timing and a total accident. I feel at fault for everything and I am just praying this baby is totally healthy because I don't think I can live with some other answer other than that :( 

Now, I know we are blessed and I am so fortunate to be on this side than other sides that you can be on with infertility, so I am not wishing this pregnancy away, but it just wasn't what we planned for, life throws you curve balls and sometimes it's scary!
    that's really fucked up that he says something like that to you. where is the trust? 
    i know it's hard to not feel like everything is "your fault" but it takes two people to make babies. should you perhaps have taken some emergency contraception after missing some pills but not abstaining? if you really didn't want a third right now, i guess. hind sight is always 20-20. 

i hope your H gets his head out of his ass and starts supporting you instead of deciding you would make unilateral reproductive decisions without consulting him. 

Met: September 2005  Married: October 2008   DS: 09/2014
           Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
           Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • @atack I'm so so sorry you're in this situation, but please please please don't blame yourself! Accidents happen and you shouldn't feel guilty. I understand that your husband is struggling with his emotions, but it's unfair to take it out on you by directing the blame on your shoulders. He'll love this LO unconditionally and it sounds like he's a great dad, so he'll likely come around soon.  <3
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • atackatack member
    @vvitchhazel he is a great dad and the stress we've been under as a family this year has been rough.  I know others are in worst situations, but it's been a rough year for us in general and adding another baby certainly doesn't help the stress level.  @anewadventure He has since agreed and realized it wasn't "on purpose" and I wasn't out to trick him.  I do feel like it all is happening for a reason - and will get through it.  
  • Had the blood draw Monday and am eagerly waiting for results! Thanks to everyone for sharing their results timelines, it makes me feel like maybe it won't be 2 full weeks. I did the test for genetic reasons, with the gender just being a bonus and something I wasn't even totally sure I'd want to know. Now that the test is happening though, I'm SO excited to find out the gender! 

@atack, hang in there. It is definitely not your "fault" that you're pregnant, and like other said, it takes 2 to make a baby!  ;)  Pregnancy is so tricky, because having a baby is certainly a shared experience and responsibility, but as women it's hard to not feel like we are the ones fully responsible for the situation, pregnancy outcome, labor experience. We're the ones who are responsible for what we eat and drink every day, how much exercise we get, how much we prepare for labor. It's easy to put a lot more weight on ourselves, but it's definitely a joint venture! So glad to hear your husband is coming around, and I hope the stress this year has brought your family dissipates quickly! 
  • Just had blood drawn so the waiting game starts! I got the verify by progenity test, did anyone else get this one. It's the same concept as harmony etc, but I haven't seen anyone else post this test specifically. Just curious :)
  • Awesome news @whiska!!!! 
    DH: 34 | Me: 35
    DS1 9/24/13
    DX Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Factor V Leiden Mutation, Secondary Infertility
    MFI (SA #1
    Count 11mill, Motility: 18%, Morphology: 1%)
    MFI (SA #2Count 7 mill, Motility: 18%, Morphology: 1%)
    AMH .328 
    | FSH 13.2 
    Oct. 2016: Clomid + TI
    IVF: ER 3/1/17; 5 retrieved, 3 mature & fertilized
    Results: 2 PGS normal embryos
    Planned on August 2017 transfer
    **TW**
    Natural BFP 4/3/17,Expecting baby boy via RCS 12/7/17

• I wanted to chime in with my experience FWIW!

Just had my Harmony blood draw yesterday and my insurance only covers NIPT or NT. Not both! The doctor said that NIPT is broad enough. My NIPT is covered since I am AMA, so they may do the NT scan if a patient is more predisposed to genetic issues.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I think this is the first thread that I've read through all of the posts! very helpful! I think I've decided to do the NIPT and my doctor is ordering the blood test and scan for Friday. Wish me luck!
  • Did anyone get the Quest Qnatal NIPT?  I had never heard of it before but I got my blood drawn for it on Sunday.  Definitely taking a gamble on the billing front since I am not AMA or high risk, but it was important to me for peace of mind. I did not put a lot of effort into finding out how much it costs and what is covered by our insurance, so needless to say I never got any concrete information.  H is going to be grumpy if we get a huge bill  :#

As far as finding out the gender, my thoughts are the same as many of you.  I am so excited to hear what we're having but that's just an added bonus - more than anything I just want reassurance that whatever is in here is healthy!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @vvitchhazel how many days did it take for them to receive your sample? I called today to see what insurance would cover because I never got the email and they said they don't even have my sample yet. It was done on Monday and I can't say that I had a lot of faith in the lab tech so I'm a little worried. 
    DS1 9/24/13
    MFI (SA #1
    AMH .328 
    | FSH 13.2 
    **TW**

• @Marley629 We had our blood drawn at around noon on Monday the 15th and I got the email that they received our samples at 6:10 pm on Thursday the 18th. 20 minutes later they sent the email about insurance coverage. Hopefully you'll get some news tonight!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Thank you so much @vvitchhazel
    DS1 9/24/13
    MFI (SA #1
    AMH .328 
    | FSH 13.2 
    **TW**

• I am 37, will be 38 when this baby is born so I am definitely asking for it. 
  • Ugh @vvitchhazel I got the email from counsyl. The lab tech put it through as family prep screen instead of the informed pregnancy screen. I already did the family prep screen prior to doing IVF & I know my doc ordered the latter.  I feel like this is going to require more than 1 phone call to fix :neutral:
    DS1 9/24/13
    MFI (SA #1
    AMH .328 
    | FSH 13.2 
    **TW**

• whiskawhiska member
    Ugh @Marley629 sorry they screwed that up. Fx for you it's an easy fix!
    Me: 36  | DH 35, Married 2007
    TTC #1 June 2015
    April 2016 - AMH, FSH, Progesterone normal
    June 2016 - HSG clear
    *TW* BFP - Aug16, demise confirmed Sep16, incomplete m/c, D&C Nov16
    BFP 3/27/17, edd 12/7/17
    DS - 12/9/17 
    <3 
    TTC #2 December 2018 
    BFP 2/22/19, edd 11/4/19
    DD - 11/1/19 <3
    My Chart

• Ugh yes @whiska. I have to go get it redrawn today :neutral: I'm glad I caught that on the email otherwise I would have been responsible for the $300 bill 
    DS1 9/24/13
    MFI (SA #1
    AMH .328 
    | FSH 13.2 
    **TW**

• whiskawhiska member
    @Marley629 This needs another ugh :angry:  So annoying.  Sorry you have to do another draw!  
    Me: 36  | DH 35, Married 2007
    TTC #1 June 2015
    April 2016 - AMH, FSH, Progesterone normal
    June 2016 - HSG clear
    *TW* BFP - Aug16, demise confirmed Sep16, incomplete m/c, D&C Nov16
    BFP 3/27/17, edd 12/7/17
    DS - 12/9/17 
    <3 
    TTC #2 December 2018 
    BFP 2/22/19, edd 11/4/19
    DD - 11/1/19 <3
    My Chart

• @Marley629 ugh that is sooo annoying. Thank goodness you caught the mistake!
  • Congratulations @thatlauragirl!!  I can only imagine the relief you must feel!

I had my NIPT blood draw last Monday (5/22) and am waiting on results.  I'll get them by email and have been obsessively checking at work today! I felt pretty ambivalent about finding out the gender in the past and did the test for the genetic screening purposes, but now that I'm close to knowing I'm dying to find out!
  • @vvitchhazel I'm taking the MaterniT21 also. Was it 8 calender days, or 8 business days? I'm having my blood draw tomorrow, and Sequenom should have it Thursday. 

Lilypie - sZQ1
  • @tinkerbellwest It was only 8 calendar days for me! 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @tinkerbellwest I did MAT21 with DS and it was 9 business days. I did Harmony with this baby girl and it was 5 business days.
  • @Tennis11785 All of those ideas sound cute! I thought about taking the results to a baby boutique and have them pick out a pair of boy or girl jammies and wrapping it up so DH and I could open it together, but I just couldn't wait. When the genetic counselor called, I put the phone on speaker immediately. Had to know! 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • abcolaabcola member
    edited May 2017
    @Tennis11785 I think we are going to do the same thing, with getting the results on an envelope and then finding out together. I want to share the surprise with him. I like the cookie idea! I want to do something that will make a fun video as I think that is how we will tell our friends.... instead of doing a big gender reveal party. We want to have that fun moment every time we tell people! 

Whoops... edited to also say that I had the blood draw for the Verifi test today! Should know next week or so! 
    BabyFetus Ticker Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • kyrwynkyrwyn member
    @Tennis11785 I took the Counsyl Informed Pregnancy Screen and wanted to know our results (except gender) as soon as I got the email.  If you get to check your Counsyl test results online and want the gender as a surprise don't download/open the report file until after your reveal.  The website's good about keeping them behind what's essentially a spoiler warning, even if you view the trisomy results, but the PDF has it all on the same page. ... This is how I accidentally peeked at ours. (Oops.)
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @kyrwyn - oh good to know!  Cause I'll totally be looking at the results online.  I'll have to remember not to open the file.  Thank you!

** December BMB Siggy Challenge - Animals in Pools **

Me: 31+ H: 32
    TTC Since 11/2015
    #1 - MMC 6.5 weeks (2/16); #2 - MC due to cystic hygroma at 20 weeks (10/16); #3 CP (2/17); #4 - Due 12.16.17
  • @Tennis11785 that sounds fun! I don't work Friday so if I get the results while DH is at work I want to do something cute/fun for him when he gets home. He's a grand gestures guy so it will be nice to do something for him for once. 
  • I had the materniti21 test and received my results within 6 calendar days.