December 2017 Moms

Harmony Test/Early Gender Detection Experiences

Re: Harmony Test/Early Gender Detection Experiences

• You're right I didn't even notice the acronym is right in there for the first test too. I don't get this!!
    Me: 31  DH: 32      <3 DH since 12.2009       Married 08.2013       EDD 12.2017
    ShyTonia
  • Loading the player...
  • @AMCsquared I think it's strange you'd do the nipt test twice? NIPT isn't considered diagnostic, so like @whiska said, it's a starting point. Depending on the results, I believe the most common next step is a CVS (or I guess amnio but I'm not sure). The CVS and amnio are diagnostic and lets them get a better look at the DNA. 

** December BMB Siggy Challenge - Animals in Pools **

Me: 31+ H: 32
    TTC Since 11/2015
    #1 - MMC 6.5 weeks (2/16); #2 - MC due to cystic hygroma at 20 weeks (10/16); #3 CP (2/17); #4 - Due 12.16.17
    whiskavvitchhazel
  • When I was pregnant with DS1 we tested positive with the NIPT for neural tube defects. The doctor refered us to a genetic counselor where they took extensive family history, went over all the tests, and did another, more in depth ultrasound. After a few weeks we met again and the genetic counselor said that likely it wasnt a true neural tube defect or spina bifida, but the elevated levels in my blood could be indicators of other things later in pregnancy so I was just monitored more closely with twice weekly non stress tests in the third tri (concerns were pre term labor or potentially low amniotic fluid). Had the additional tests come back more concerning next step would have been an amniocentesis, but our dr didn't think it was necessary. Just sharing in case anyone gets any concerning test result or are curious.
    Tennis11785whiska
  • anewadventureanewadventure member
    edited May 2017
    Ladies I'm so confused and I just can't get the testing cleared up in my brain no matter what I read. Helppp lol.
    My gyno wrote down that at 10 weeks I am doing an at home finger prick blood test called non invasive prenatal first trimester instant risk assessment. She wrote that it tests for DS, T18, T13. Then I have the corresponding US at 12 weeks.

She wrote if those tests bring back questionable results, then the next step is the NIPT test which includes the gender. Is that the harmony test?
    I'm confused bc I'm seeing that the harmony test includes DS and t13/18 and gender. So NIPT is a totally different test? Or not
    the finger prick goes with the US at 12 weeks - the combo is your nuchal translucency screen. they do the prick in advance so you get "all" the results the day of your US. or, you can get the prick done the day of the US and hear back about the blood prick results two weeks later (for those of you that don't have an at-home option and are trying to cut down on the number of appointments).
    this is usually the first step. if your results indicate further testing is indicated, then a NIPT such as harmony can be ordered and will be covered by insurance due to the results of the NT scan. previously your follow-on options were invasive such as CVS or amniocentesis. make sense? 

ETA: words. and @AMCsquared

Met: September 2005  Married: October 2008   DS: 09/2014
           Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
           Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    AMCsquared
  • Has anyone tried the SneakPeek test?
     It's a blood DNA test, I found it on Amazon for $60, the test kit and results are included in the price. It got surprisingly good reviews. Most at home sex predictor kits are crap.
    ShyTonia
  • @anewadventure - fyi some doctors skip the nipt test if something shows wonky on the NT because nipt aren't considered "diagnostic". While they are considered to be very accurate, they actually only tell you the likelihood of something being wrong. The only way to confirm is through the more invasive options (amnio and cvs). 

TTC Since 11/2015
    #1 - MMC 6.5 weeks (2/16); #2 - MC due to cystic hygroma at 20 weeks (10/16); #3 CP (2/17); #4 - Due 12.16.17
    AMCsquaredlund
  • @AMCsquared Not really loving how your doctor explained it. Sounds totally confusing and not really what I've come to understand. The finger stick and the NT scan are used in conjunction with each other. NIPT blood tests like Harmony and MaterniT21 are optional, NOT the next step. It's actually the invasive stuff like amnio and CVS that comes next, from my understanding.

We sat down with a genetic counselor on Monday and she explained things way more clearly than my OB did. Basically, the NIPT first trimester blood draw is used with the NT scan to screen for chromosomal abnormalities. Just the NT scan alone has only a 60% accuracy rate, whereas the combination of the scan and the finger stick/blood draw bumps it up to around 90% accuracy. I should also note that the NT scan is just a normal ultrasound where they measure the baby from rump to crown, measure the fluid behind the neck, and check out the heart for any potential defects like holes. You can also opt for NIPT like Harmony or MaterniT21 which has a 99% accuracy rate. According to the counselor, as of last August most major insurance companies now cover MaterniT21, high risk or not. We called to double check (we have Anthem Blue Cross) and they do cover MaterniT21, even though I'm not AMA and we don't have a family history. Also, they tell you it takes 7-10 days, but everyone I've talked to about it has gotten their results in less than a week. 

We did have to get some further testing done because my husbands father is Jewish and there are a slew of conditions they screen for because of that. This one didn't have a particular name, but the lab it goes through just screens for something like 18-36 conditions prevalent in the Jewish community. Both my husband and I were drawn for this.

As for us, we opted for all the genetic testing... The Jew stuff, MaterniT21, and the NT scan (which will be in a couple more weeks for me).
    BabyFruit Ticker
    acgonzalez22
  • blueskies17blueskies17 member
    edited May 2017
    Adding some information that I've learned about Harmony pricing in the last week. Apparently if your insurance covers the Harmony testing, you will pay the out of pocket rate (if any) that your insurance company has negotiated with Harmony (aka Ariosa Diagnostics). In my case, my insurance probably won't cover the Harmony test because I am not high risk. However, the rep and billing department at Ariosa have told me that if my insurance rejects the claim, they will only charge me $199 for the test. This actually happens to be a lower price than the price that my insurance has negotiated with Ariosa ($450), so I really do hope that they reject the claim! 

Edited: wording
  • Yes, that's another thing the genetic counselor mentioned. Like @blueskies17 said, out of pocket is going to be way less. For MaterniT21, if insurance rejects the claim, the lab has to bill you $1300 (otherwise they'd be charged with insurance fraud), but they'll only hold you accountable for $200. It'll even say on the bill to call them so they can adjust it.
    BabyFruit Ticker
    AMCsquared
  • Thanks for all the info, ladies!  I'm 10w6d and just had the NIPT blood draw today. They said it takes 14 business days to get the results back. The NT ultrasound scan is scheduled for Tuesday.  Praying for no big surprises!
    ShyTonia
  • @acgonzalez22 that is so good to hear! I called my insurance company and mine is covered 100 percent! So glad everything came back good for you. I go for mine in one week. Every insurance is different so I definitely doesn't hurt to ask. 
    acgonzalez22
  • Thanks @anewadventure

I contacted my insurance hoping harmony might be covered bc my insurance is generally pretty amazing. But they said no only tests deemed medically necessary by the doctor are covered
    Me: 31  DH: 32      <3 DH since 12.2009       Married 08.2013       EDD 12.2017
  • lin24-2lin24-2 member
    Hi ladies who have already had Harmony/Panorama, could you please describe the whole process of the test? I am going to have Panorama tomorrow.
  • @lin24-2 I believe it's a simple blood test.  Then you sign into the website to get the results.  Someone else might be able to give more details, but that's how I understand how it works.  

While I believe it officially says it takes 7-10 days to get the results, I've heard most people get them back quicker.  

TTC Since 11/2015
    wabash15
  • @lin24-2 I had Harmony done and it was just a lab draw. My OB called me with the results. They had told me the results would take 7 to 10 business days but it was 5 business days. Again, I don't know if Panorma is any different but I believe it is also just a blood draw. The actual company mailed me results after my Dr gave them to me. GL!
    ShyTonia
  • Today is day 7 for me! I'm so anxious, waiting to hear back!
    BabyFruit Ticker
    acgonzalez22ShyToniaMarley629
  • acgonzalez22acgonzalez22 member
    edited May 2017
    @blairbecky78 congratulations! Welcome to Team Pink!
    blairbecky78
  • lin24-2lin24-2 member
    There should be an ultrasound too, so was wondering, what they will check... maybe it is different in each country. I live in Ireland.
  • Are any of these screening/diagnostic testing required? I have my 12 week US on June 8th and I don't mind waiting until later to find out the gender and I'm afraid of any unnecessary procedures. I'm 33 and this will be my first baby. 
  • Tennis11785Tennis11785 member
    edited May 2017
    @lin24-2.  Here in America the Harmony doesn't have an ultrasound.  But you might be thinking of the NT scan, which includes a blood test and an ultrasound.  They are different tests and while there are some overlaps in conditions they scan for, they are considered two different tests.  

@isabelbustamante1023 - both the Harmony and the NT scan are optional, but they are very low risk to the fetus.  I believe the NT is usually covered by insurance.  I know someone here posted that more insurances are starting to cover the Harmony test, but I haven't seen that in my experience.  I know for myself and for my friends who are or were very recently pregnant, it was only covered if there was a reason (previous experience with a chromosonal disorder or advanced maternal age are two common reasons it would be covered).  But if you're interested, I'd talk to your doctor and your insurance, perhaps it's covered.  

ETA - While not a required test, I am very pro NT scan.  It's so low risk to the baby (especially if you're already doing an u/s during that visit) and identify serious problems with the fetus incredibly early. I know some women chose to not to have this test, and I respect their decision.  But I think knowledge is powerful, and this test can give you so much knowledge.  

TTC Since 11/2015
    whiskaeazybreezy225wabash15isabelbustamante1023
  • @blairbecky78 Congratulations!! I hope I get my results back as quickly as you did- I had my Harmony blood draw done on Wednesday and they told me it would take 2 weeks.
  • @isabelbustamante1023 The tests people are discussing are non-invasive and just include a blood draw from you and possibly an extra ultrasound (basically zero risk). They are not required, but often recommended depending on your age and history. Basically, they can tell a lot by looking at baby's cells that have reached your blood stream. If they suspect something is wrong based on the blood tests, then they ask to do invasive tests like an amniocentesis in order to properly diagnose the baby. The amnio does carry some risk, but can be declined.
    Tennis11785lablover920isabelbustamante1023
  • Anyone have the Counsyl version of the test? Was wondering how long it took you to get the results.  They told me I would receive an email in 7-10 days detailing what ins will pay and what's OOP and once I approve it results will be sent. I'm hoping ins pays since im AMA.
    DH: 34 | Me: 35
    DS1 9/24/13
    DX Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Factor V Leiden Mutation, Secondary Infertility
    MFI (SA #1
    Count 11mill, Motility: 18%, Morphology: 1%)
    MFI (SA #2Count 7 mill, Motility: 18%, Morphology: 1%)
    AMH .328 
    | FSH 13.2 
    Oct. 2016: Clomid + TI
    IVF: ER 3/1/17; 5 retrieved, 3 mature & fertilized
    Results: 2 PGS normal embryos
    Planned on August 2017 transfer
    **TW**
    Natural BFP 4/3/17,Expecting baby boy via RCS 12/7/17

wabash15
  • @Marley629 The testing my husband and I both had to do because of his Jewish background is through Counsyl. We haven't gotten the results back yet (today is the 7th day), but we did get emails on day 3 saying they received our samples and letting us know how much we'd have to pay out of pocket (which was only $20 and I'm not AMA).
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Marley629
  • Thank you @vvitchhazel
    DH: 34 | Me: 35
    DS1 9/24/13
    DX Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Factor V Leiden Mutation, Secondary Infertility
    MFI (SA #1
    Count 11mill, Motility: 18%, Morphology: 1%)
    MFI (SA #2Count 7 mill, Motility: 18%, Morphology: 1%)
    AMH .328 
    | FSH 13.2 
    Oct. 2016: Clomid + TI
    IVF: ER 3/1/17; 5 retrieved, 3 mature & fertilized
    Results: 2 PGS normal embryos
    Planned on August 2017 transfer
    **TW**
    Natural BFP 4/3/17,Expecting baby boy via RCS 12/7/17

vvitchhazel
  • kyrwynkyrwyn member
    @Marley629 @vvitchhazel Our NIPT is through Counsyl. (informed pregnancy screen) I got our expected OOP estimate in 2-3 days.  They've got a status tracker on the website that shows up once the lab begins processing your sample. I can see that our results are in Clinical Review right now (next step is released to our Dr). Understandably they were at this step all weekend while the lab was, presumably, closed. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Marley629
  • I'm using Counsyl also. I used them twice last year and both times I had the testing done on a Monday and the results came in the next Wednesday.

I'm a little stressed now because I received the email last Tuesday that the sample was received but when I just checked online it said "date invalid" where it listed the date received. No idea what that means.

Man, this waiting is hard.
    Me: 38 l DH: 41
    Gavin - 8/27/10
    *TW*
    Gabriel - 2nd tri loss 5/17/16 Trisomy 18 & 21
    Hope -  2nd tri loss 12/7/16 complications from pneumonia

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    vvitchhazel
  • Is anyone else not doing NIPT? I'm low risk, insurance doesn't cover it, and if it only tells probability, not results, I feel it may cause more worry than it is worth... I am torn.
  • @Knottie1468511252 i'm not doing it -- my doctor said I don't need to since I'm low risk, and like you, my insurance doesn't cover it for low-risk, under 35 pregnant women. I looked up the out-of-pocket cost and it would be around $625 for me -- DH and I decided just to do the covered NT scan, and decided against the NIPT/panorama test. 
    Me: 33 DH: 34
    Married: Oct 2015
    TTC #1: Sept 2016
    BFP: 10/19/16 ~ blighted ovum ~ D&C 11/23/16
    BFP: 3/24/17   <3  DD1 born 12/2/17
    TTC #2: July 2018
    BFP: 8/26/18 <3  DD2 born 5/16/19

Tennis11785
  • lin24-2lin24-2 member
    So panaroma test is done now :-)
    First I had detailed ultrasound, checked hearth beat, got also two normal pictures and three 3D.
    I was so amazed with everything, my boyfried could make video by phone.
    Then they took 2 blood samples, will go to US California, Natera. The cost here is €500, not paid by insurance in any age, results should come within 7-10 working days.
    Marley629ShyToniaTennis11785acgonzalez22
  • I got my MaterniT21 results today. It took 8 days. The genetic counselor said that the Counsyl results could take another week, but those are different tests--not the trisomies and early sex detection. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Tennis11785Marley629acgonzalez22tinkerbellwest
  • kyrwynkyrwyn member
    We got our Counsyl results today, 12 days after the sample was received at the lab. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Tennis11785Marley629thatlauragirl
  • Thanks for sharing your experience with the timeline @kyrwyn and @vvitchhazel.  Hope you both got good results!!

TTC Since 11/2015
    vvitchhazelkyrwyn
  • Did Harmony test today. We won't be finding out gender from it though. Wait is on.
    Marley629ShyToniaacgonzalez22eazybreezy225
  • kyrwynkyrwyn member
    Thanks @Tennis11785 ! We got only good news today. Feeling very happy and relieved. DH and I are checking the gender results together tonight (but I may have already peeked). ;) 
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Tennis11785brittyclemMarley629thatlauragirl
  • Yay for good results so far!! I go in for my blood draw tomorrow. And then the waiting game lol
    Tennis11785tinkerbellwest