March 2017 Moms

Sleep Thread

Re: Sleep Thread

• Before the 6 hr stretch Tyler had 2 nights ago, it was every 2.5 to 3 hrs. So don't worry - it will happen!
    last night he did a 5 hr stretch then woke up every 2 hrs.... he nurses for a minute then falls back asleep so I'm guessing I should let him fuss in his crib for awhile as he's not truly hungry. Maybe gas drops will help!
    Anniversary

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

MMC 8/11/15

imageimageimage
  • @triwellnessgirl as I've expressed before! Uber jealous.. best kate has given is 9-1.. that was a fluke ahha. Maybe I'll start your routine hahha 
  • Loading the player...
  • My daughter is 6 weeks old and has never slept longer than 3 hours at a time.  I thought by now she would be sleeping for longer stretches.  Is anyone else in the same boat?  I'm starting to wonder if I'm doing something wrong.  
    My daughter just started sleeping a little longer, about 4 hrs and just turned 8 wks
  • @triwellnessgirl I just decided to cut out diary. I think I'm going to try the gas drops too and see if it helps. 
  • Thanks ladies....it's always nice to hear that I'm not alone.  I'm going to try to keep her more stimulated so she sleeps less during the day and (hopefully) more at night.  
  • Thanks ladies....it's always nice to hear that I'm not alone.  I'm going to try to keep her more stimulated so she sleeps less during the day and (hopefully) more at night.  
    I've heard, not sure if true - that the more they sleep during the day the better their sleep is during the night. Not sure how true that is but that would make mine LO a good sleeper and she is terrible 
  • @jenny0228 sorry you didn't get to bf, but yay on sleep  :) I hope it continues for everyone's sake! 
  • MsTurney said:
    Thanks ladies....it's always nice to hear that I'm not alone.  I'm going to try to keep her more stimulated so she sleeps less during the day and (hopefully) more at night.  
    I've heard, not sure if true - that the more they sleep during the day the better their sleep is during the night. Not sure how true that is but that would make mine LO a good sleeper and she is terrible 
    More sleep makes more sleep!! Overtired babes from the daytime make worse sleep at night!  
  • @thisisallyson I have preemies and we do the "don't wake to feed". Have been since they came home. We only wake when one gets fussy for eating so they stay on the same schedule, but if they all want to sleep 5-6 hours at night we certainly let them. They're gaining weight fine so we see no problem with it. 
    About us:
    Me - 28, Lean PCOS
    DH - 31
    Married June 2010, TTC since March 2014
    Blog: ourbinarystar.com

FET cycle #3 Transfer July 28th 2016, Triplets born healthy on February 26th 2017 at 33w1d!

• MsTurney said:
    Thanks ladies....it's always nice to hear that I'm not alone.  I'm going to try to keep her more stimulated so she sleeps less during the day and (hopefully) more at night.  
    ITS TRUE. Seriously, sleep begets sleep. Never wake a sleeping baby is a golden rule in my house. Its kind of pointless to try to get babies on a day/night pattern through means like that until about 2 months in my opinion. Exposure to sunlight in the morning and early afternoon is your best bet until then. But to each her own. :)
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @thisisallyson I have preemies and we do the "don't wake to feed". Have been since they came home. We only wake when one gets fussy for eating so they stay on the same schedule, but if they all want to sleep 5-6 hours at night we certainly let them. They're gaining weight fine so we see no problem with it. 
    That's how I am with them at night I feed 8.12.4.8 during the day together but at night I let them wake up.12am/1am ish is usually when they wake up. However they don't sleep through the night. Had a few good nights they slept till 6am ish. But usually up 3 and 5:6 to drink like 1-2oz so I'm trying to drop the 3am feed and move the 12/1 to 11.. I can't imagine going back to work in mid June :(

SaveSave
  • MsTurney said:
    ITS TRUE. Seriously, sleep begets sleep. Never wake a sleeping baby is a golden rule in my house. Its kind of pointless to try to get babies on a day/night pattern through means like that until about 2 months in my opinion. Exposure to sunlight in the morning and early afternoon is your best bet until then. But to each her own. :)
    So since a few weeks ago this is our night routine: 8Pm feed.... wipe face and hands...sit in lounger and chill digest. 9-10pm change into botton onesie, overnight diaper (I use pamper baby dry at night. They are the only ones that work and no accidents... changing diapers always wakes them up too much in the middle of the night ) swaddle hands in or out depends on them, my kids are picky, but I always put the hands in later. they are put in crib in low light condition after a diaper change so still drowsy but not 100% asleep. and most of the time they need a paci swaddled in there to sleep. The rest are dream feeds. 7:45-8am is their first morning feed. We wipe face, hands, unswaddle. Feed in day light, curtain blinds open. Usually they are semi awake. After they eat they sleep till their next feed. Then we change and the eat.. the next 2 meals is when they are awake the most.

SaveSave
  • Here we go again :/. We were sleeping in the basinett for 2-3 hour stretches and now we barely go down for 45 mins.... why.... I cannot give in to the co sleeping! 
  • MsTurney said:
    Here we go again :/. We were sleeping in the basinett for 2-3 hour stretches and now we barely go down for 45 mins.... why.... I cannot give in to the co sleeping! 
    I'm sorry....you are not alone!  My daughter is 7 weeks and never sleeps longer than 2 hours at a time.  I really thought it would have gotten better by now.... I feel like I must be doing something wrong.  I put her in the bassinet also.  I am definitely tempted to cosleep, but I am too scared. This is so frustrating... I don't know how I'm going to survive when I start back at work in a few weeks.  I hope things get better for you!
  • Ah cosleeping. Last night we started a feed at 8:30, then didn't have another until 2:40. It's currently 8:14 and they're still mostly asleep. 
    About us:
    Me - 28, Lean PCOS
    DH - 31
    Married June 2010, TTC since March 2014
    Blog: ourbinarystar.com

FET cycle #3 Transfer July 28th 2016, Triplets born healthy on February 26th 2017 at 33w1d!

• Yes.. this! We actually transitioned to the crib because I can't handle doing that transition again because I felt like a magician last time around with helping DS1 go into it. BUT I got some good stretches before and now it's less and less. I can't tell if it's because he wants the binky, he's hungry, or is in the crib. Bah! 

... I also have been in the wonder weeks app and am refusing to believe it, but it does say we are in a leap this week, so I'm wondering if it really is true. 
    For this child I prayed, and the Lord has granted me my petition that I made to him.
    1 Samuel 1:27
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    BabyFetus Ticker

• Now, when you co sleep - is the baby right next to you like cuddled or just beside you a distance away. My little one wants to sleep on me. She will cry if she isn't close enough. Which I feel is safer than having her against me 
  • kjd291 said:
    I'm bedsharing, and it's been wonderful.  I don't feel unsafe and we both get great sleep ((as great as sleep can be with waking up every couple hours to feed)) Bed is pushed up against the wall, and baby is the one next to the wall on just the sheet. This is basically what our safe bed-sharing set up looks like. No fear of rolling, no pillows or blankets, not near dad. 
    I legitimately just roll my head to face away and baby wakes up. Ugh. Hah. They just want the only thing they've know for the past 9mo/-their mama. No matter what you decide for sleep-just make sure you take some steps to ensure it's safe! Lots of ppl side eye bedsharing, but falling asleep exhausted on a couch or rocking chair can be more dangerous.  So if you're desperate don't feel shame in putting baby in bed with you. I was once saying "never will I ever" and look at me with baby two now. Hah.  just do your research and make sure it's a safe setup that you feel comfortable with!

This is what I shared earlier in the post with what I basically do. Even though I don't move in my sleep/Knees tucked up under her keeps me from ever rolling. Blankets only up to my knees, and pillow tucked up under/behind head so it's not near babe.
    I usually put my face down near hers if she's fussy and it calms her right down. ((Sound of Breath? Smell maybe?))
  • We sleep in the guest room to avoid toddlers or husband. She's about 12 inches from me with her head at boob level. When she fusses I put a boob in then she falls asleep and I back away a little. She seems to know I'm there even though she's not on me. She will often wake and cry if I get up to pee for example.
  • How are you all holding up? hope everyone got got some naps in over the weekend!
  • I got a 10 minute one.  :s

... How does dream feeding work? Is it more or less that you just wake them up before bed to nurse and hope they go back to sleep? My guy nurses anywhere from 7:30-8 at night, doesn't fall asleep fully until 8:45 (#binkyproblems) and I stay up with my husband until 10:30/11... tonight he nursed at 7 and slept an insane amount so I feel like I'm screwed. I was thinking of maybe nursing before I went to bed and pray he does his longer stretch then. 

also, it's been a ghost town here today. I hope that's indicative to awesome weekends with families! 
    For this child I prayed, and the Lord has granted me my petition that I made to him.
    1 Samuel 1:27
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    BabyFetus Ticker

• I woke up last night to huge painful boobs and realized DD had  been sleeping for almost five hours. I immediately woke her up due to pain. My damn oversupply better not ruin this good sleeper!
  • DD sleeps fine in her Halo, but I spend most of the night trying to figure out if her noises are awake noises or just getting re-settled sounds. She's never cried because she was hungry, because I usually hear her fussing for a bit and just pick her up to eat. She stays asleep for the whole feed and eats really well still. But should I just try and ignore her little noises and wait for her to cry? She wakes up from naps during the day by crying. 
  • I'm not sure... on one hand if you wake up you might as well feed her. 
    I've been having this inner debate too. 
    Last night my DD was squirming - I changed her diaper but when I went to fees her she just fell back asleep once she felt me near her and didn't wake to eat for another 3hrs.
    i want her to not get in the habit of eating if she doesn't need it... but I also have a toddler sleeping in the room next to her that I don't want to be woken up with cries... so I tend to always feed incase to avoid the crying.
  • I'm in the wait it out camp. I'll even try a paci before feeding if I hear DD fussing, especially if it's been less than three hours. If she's crying I will obviously feed, but she grunts and makes noises a lot because she has gas and not necessarily because she needs to eat yet. She's been going longer at night - maybe 4 or 4.5 hours. 5 weeks old.
  • When I hear LO fussing/stiring if I am really tired I'll try to give him his paci (he only uses if to fall sleep not when he is sleeping) and if he takes it I'll get another 10-20 mins of sleep before he reallly gets fussy other times I'll just get up with him right away. I always just feed him, change him because he usually falls asleep so this needs done and it wakes him up, feed him again, and then put him back to bed. It seems to be working so far. I'm a FTM and he's 4 weeks.  I have no idea if I'm doing anything the way I should be but he's gaining weight and sleeping well so far at least. 
  • Has anyone hired a sleep consultant? If so tell me everything. Cost, effectiveness, opinions, etc. 
  • Let's talk overtired! Since kate has been going through her 6 week growth spurt, overtiredness is deadly! What are some thing you have done to try to overcome, elimate overtiredness. I see that when she gets over stimulated she cannot handle it and leads to her having a difficult time falling asleep. I was at my wits ends this morning and went for a car ride. Any suggestions are welcomed !
  • @MsTurney the only thing that always works around here is babywearing. 
  • @kjd291 I have the ergo baby and do put her in it. But it's a toss up if she struggles to stay in or falls asleep. Not sure if there are better wraps etc out there
  • @MsTurney I personally prefer moby type wraps for napping // for the first few months. But that's my personal preference. There are an overwhelming amount of babycarrying options!!
  • 4 weeks yesterday, DS has been so good, even through his growth spurt- now all of a sudden today- no sleeping since 4a, 6hrs of trying to get him settled/not crying. DH took him for a car ride. I took him on a walk this morning, didn't work. He won't go in the wrap, won't settle while swaddled. Hates the paci today. No fever or anything, doesn't seem hungry.... first day I have felt totally overwhelmed!! I think now he's just waaaay overtired. Hopefully DH returns with a sleeping baby......!!!!!
  • serenity13serenity13 member
    edited April 2017
    @jenny0228 ahh! that sounds so frustrating, I hope your LO will fall asleep/stay asleep for you very soon!

I've been reading this book lately and LOVE it! It's so so helpful & accurate. LO has been sleeping 5-6 hours through the night already at 3 weeks 3 days the last few nights. I started a few days ago putting him down in his crib for naps during the day and letting him sleep whenever he's sleeping, only waking him up rare occasions if it's been crazy long & my boobs are about to explode. He's seriously grown so much in the last week too so I think it's true that the more they sleep the more they grow!

On Becoming Baby Wise: Giving Your Infant the Gift of Nighttime Sleep https://www.amazon.com/dp/1932740139/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_DlIbzb0GHA3C9
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @serenity13 thanks- he finally did sleep! I just ordered that book on your recommendation! It looks great! I get so much conflicting info about when to wake to feed (I'm mostly all formula now) and I really do see the more my "big-little" sleeps during the day, the better he sleeps at night. 

• mecoatsmecoats member
    Let's just say I wish that I didn't have to pump at night so I could get the same amount of sleep as my LO. Good thing is that I'm building up a tiny supply before daycare. 
    ME: 34
    DH: 37
    DD: 03/17/17
    DS: 12/06/19
  • I caved and bought the rock and play ...